Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mexican Investigator killed, is Mexico being destroyed by cartels?

• 12-10-2010 10:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭

A top Mexican investigator (Rolando Armando Flores Villegas) in the Falcon Lake case was de-capitated and his severed head sent to the military.

Video here: http://cnn.com/video/?/video/crime/2010/10/12/nr.falcon.lake.head.cnn

Is Mexico ever going to be able get rid of these cartel scumbags!

Seems they have have a lot of police and government officials on their payroll... it may not be to long before the USA gets involved, either by request of the Mexicans or otherwise... its a dangerous situation, and it looks like scumbags possibly may end up running the country!

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Cmdr Keen wrote: »
    ...and it looks like scumbags possibly may end up running the country!
    Again?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Crazy world, losing the head over something like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

R.I.P. top Mexican investigator in the Falcon Lake case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

marzic wrote: »
    I think the USA should intervene... i think President Obama would look really cool in a Sombrero!

Oh i don't know, the anti American brigade would go crazy and accuse them of invading Mexico.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Please elaborate...
    Check your Mexican history, particularly post Spanish invasion, pre-American influence time period.
    There has been a number of very bad scumbags running the state at times.

...I know, I read too much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭bobblepuzzle

galwayrush wrote: »
    Oh i don't know, the anti American brigade would go crazy and accuse them of invading Mexico.

The Mexican government don't seem to be able to deal with the situation, which I'd imagine is making the US concerned, especially since this is happening on their doorstep.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Robocop was right all along!!!!!!!

TheZohan wrote: »
    R.I.P. top Mexican investigator in the Falcon Lake case.

As much as you think thats funny... the post was about the general situation in Mexico, and not about this one guy... would you like me to go back and edit the original post to include his name? Would you like that?

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭marzic

As much as you think thats funny... the post was about the general situation in Mexico, and not about this one guy... would you like me to go back and edit the original post to include his name? Would you like that?

ah now come on, be fair... at least he didnt put 'guy' at the end of it!

• Advertisement

Yes. Whilst you're at it you can also change the thread title since it's not just about the guy that was murdered.

When you have all that done you can make me a sammich.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭Tom Slick

No es bueno.

Yes. Whilst you're at it you can also change the thread title since it's not just about the guy that was murdered.

Done, anything else I can help you with?

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭marzic

...I wouldnt mind a lil sambo meself while you're in the kitchen...please?:)

cartels? do you mean the people who make golf jumpers?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

yes they will once the american government ends its unwinnable "wars on drugs"

once that happens these cartels would become defunct overnight

if that doesn't happen expect it to get far far worse, why would anyone in these cartels give up their lifestyle

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

They turned the money in...................... losers!

rossie1977 wrote: »

In what way? What do you think they should make legal? Besides the obvious, cannibas which they should...

rossie1977 wrote: »

once that happens these cartels would become defunct overnight

if that doesn't happen expect it to get far far worse, why would anyone in these cartels give up their lifestyle

It's over.

It's over.

$15 billion is a lot of money to the Irish (half the amount spent on Anglo Irish so far :P) but come on, it would most likely take more funding then that in the USA

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

God be with the days when you could rob the banks in the states then head off down to Mexico to chill out .Place is to fcuking dangerous now .....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,151 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Latchy wrote: »
    God be with the days when you could rob the banks in the states then head off down to Mexico to chill out .Place is to fcuking dangerous now .....

There needs to be a Wild Bunch remake.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

galwayrush wrote: »

The Mexicans have slowly been invading the US for decades now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Sticky_Fingers

It's over.
    Somehow I don't think declaring the war over is going to stop the violence any time soon when the drugs themselves are still illegal. Step in the right direction though...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

America's drug policies and its wealth as opposed to mexico's wealth are leading causes of this.. Arms companies are reaping the rewards and as far as american right wingers are concerned, its only mexicans killing each other..

these scumbags doing the slaughter wont get any luck for it, i hope they rot in hell. as for the mexican president, he should keep his nose out of california's business regarding the upcoming vote on marijuana.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

No, its being destroyed by drug users.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

ejmaztec wrote: »
    There needs to be a Wild Bunch remake.

Yeah and Pancho Villa would have kicked the **** outta those drug Barons/ Cartels just like in a Fistful of Dynamite with James ( Sean Sean ) Coburn

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,565 ✭✭✭southsiderosie

The Mexican government don't seem to be able to deal with the situation, which I'd imagine is making the US concerned, especially since this is happening on their doorstep.

But most of the violence stems from the fact that the Mexican government is actually dealing with the situation, after ignoring it for decades. Things were quiet until a few years ago because the government basically let the cartels operate with impunity, and didn't care that the police were corrupt as hell. But as the Colombian cartels were broken, more action shifted north, and with the end of one-party rule in 2000, all previous bets were off.

It's over.

OK, this is random, but when I clicked on that link, a picture of a hot Brazilian woman popped up with an ad for eucalyptus farms. :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭holystungun9

Mexico is a mess, I am a bit of a CNN head and check the latin america pages most days, jesus these cartels have an incredible grip on the country, the amount of gang related killing is phenomemal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭celtic Liger

mexico's been in the ****s for a few years now. this is very old news imo.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

In what way? What do you think they should make legal? Besides the obvious, cannibas which they should...

As it happens, on today's news:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/39637888/
    Study: Legalizing pot won't hinder Mexican cartels.
    Researchers find that Calif. residents prefer to grow their own marijuana
    It's over.

Ah, no it's not, no matter what the man is telling the Garda Commissioner. His statement to the Irish came as quite a surprise to the Americans, not least because he has no authority to declare anything over. He did say he wanted to stop using the term War on Drugs, though.

From a week prior to the Indo article.
    http://online.wsj.com/article/SB124225891527617397.html
    The Obama administration's new drug czar says he wants to banish the idea that the U.S. is fighting "a war on drugs," a move that would underscore a shift favoring treatment over incarceration in trying to reduce illicit drug use.

<snip>

The drug czar doesn't have the power to enforce any of these changes himself, but Mr. Kerlikowske plans to work with Congress and other agencies to alter current policies. He said he hasn't yet focused on U.S. policy toward fighting drug-related crime in other countries.

<snip>

Mr. Kerlikowske said the issue was one of limited police resources, adding that he doesn't support efforts to legalize drugs.

A month ago, he refused to accept a petition to end the WoD.
    http://fdlaction.firedoglake.com/2010/09/16/video-just-say-now-petition-delivery-to-drug-czar-gil-kerlikowske/

What gets to me is the half-assed attempt at border enforcement that the US is putting into the place. If you're going to have a secure border, secure the bloody border. How hard can it be? It's only just over twice the length of the inter-German Border, which was sealed so tight that a single person crossing with just the clothes on his back would be taking his life into his hands, let alone trying to do it whilst carrying a cargo of a quarter-ton of cocaine. And that was not in the wide open spaces of the Southern US where you have a line of sight which extends for kilometers. There is no technological or logistical reason why it cannot be done, the problem is purely political. It's not even that expensive, particularly when compared to the toll the current system is taking.

NTM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

Even the newspapers are grovelling to the cartels out of fear
    It's a sad day for journalism when a newspaper is pressured into stopping its reports on crime because the criminals are too intimidating.
    After seeing two of its reporters killed in less than two years, the leading newspaper in Mexico's Ciudad Juarez has issued a remarkable plea for guidance on its coverage from the drug cartels.
    The move acknowledges that drug barons, not the government, effectively run Mexico's most violent city.
    In a front-page editorial on Sunday, El Diario de Juarez addressed the two cartels fighting for control of drug trafficking in the city, located just across the Rio Grande from El Paso, Texas.
    The paper asked the cartels to say what they want from the newspaper so it can continue to operate without further death or intimidation of its staff.
    "We ask you to explain what you want from us, what we should try to publish or not publish, so we know what to expect," said the editorial, addressed to "leaders of the different organisations that are fighting for control of Ciudad".

"This is not a surrender," the newspaper insisted, but the loss of two reporters since 2008 had been an "irreparable sorrow for all of us who work here". Even in war, it noted, there were guarantees and protocols aimed at protecting the journalists whose job it was to cover the fighting.
    The editorial was the second on the subject by El Diario since gunmen last week attacked two of its photographers, one a new employee, the other an intern. The new employee, the 21-year-old Luis Carlos Santiago, was killed and the intern was badly wounded as they left the office to have lunch on Thursday.
    In 2008, one of the paper's crime reporters was shot dead outside his home while taking his daughters to school.
    The Chihuahua state attorney yesterday insisted that Mr Santiago's death was because of a "personal problem" and was "not related to his work as a journalist". But there is little doubt about the risks associated with journalism in Mexico.
    According to the New York-based Committee to Protect Journalists (CPJ), 22 journalists have been killed since President Felipe Calderon sent in the army to eradicate the cartels in 2006.
    At least seven more have gone missing and other journalists have had to leave the country, the CPJ says in a report to Mr Calderon.
    But despite the price in blood - an estimated 28,000 people have died in drug war-related violence since 2006 - the cartels still hold sway. "Even in one of the places where violence is worst, El Diario was still doing a lot of good reporting," Carlos Lauria, a CPJ official, told the Associated Press. "The fact that they're giving up is really bad."
    In its editorial, the paper accused the government of doing nothing to protect the press, despite promises from Mr Calderon when he was a candidate. It had addressed its plea to the cartels because they were now the real authorities in Ciudad Juarez.
    Despite the efforts of thousands of Mexican troops and elite federal police, violence between rival cartels in the past two years has made Ciudad Juarez, with a population of 1.3 million, one of the world's most dangerous cities.
    Some 5,000 people have been killed there as Joaquin "El Chapo" ("Shorty") Guzman, Mexico's most wanted drug lord, seeks to wrest control from Vicente Carrillo Fuentes, the long-time head of the Juarez drug cartel whose annual business is worth $6bn or more.
    Hillary Clinton, the US Secretary of State, recently compared Mexico with Colombia at the height of its drug wars in the 1980s and early 1990s. She acknowledged, however, that a root cause of the problem was Americans' colossal appetite for illicit drugs of all kinds.
    In its report, the CPJ warned that criminal organisations were now "trying to directly influence and battle for the control of information," Mr Lauria said. This state of affairs was "a national crisis" that extended far beyond the press and affected the fundamental rights of thousands of Mexicans.
    It accused Mexico's federal government of "failing to take responsibility for widespread attacks on free expression," noting that less than 10 per cent of crimes against media representatives had been successfully prosecuted.
    The report also said some Mexican journalists have been corrupted by the cartels.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/world/news/article.cfm?c_id=2&objectid=10675058

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

Aye Corumba!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

The border between Mexico and America is nuts at the moment, 28,000 people have been killed in gang wars in the last 5 years. Very ruthless killings as well, there was a soldier who died during some of these clashes and was given a public, state funeral. This put his name in the papers and as a result his wife, mother, aunt and sister were all killed as punishment.

Completely crazy.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,941 ✭✭✭thebigbiffo

this thread actually should have by now desended into the usual 'legalise/dont legalise' drugs debate! :D

the fact is that demand will be met by murderous criminals - the higher the demand - the more murders (as long as drugs are illegal). when are people going to accept that very simple and not very hard to understand point?

war on drugs = the poorest and most vulnerable people in the world dead. simples

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭Stercus Accidit

Legalise and regulate recreational drugs, we already do, ffs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,456 ✭✭✭Riddle101

Even the newspapers are grovelling to the cartels out of fear

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/world/news/article.cfm?c_id=2&objectid=10675058

Poor fools. They really are desperate arn't they? No doubt this will lead to the Cartels controllling the newpapers and stopping them from reporting on anything Cartel related

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Paddy Samurai

No ,as long as the americans and others keep buying the drugs ,the cartels will keep supplying.They got rid of Escobar in columbia and he was replaced the following week.Theres just too much money involved.........billions.

Bandit Roads by Richard grant...is worth a read.Gives a good idea why the cartels will be around for a long time yet.

Advertisement