Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mature Babysitters

Options
  • 12-10-2010 10:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭

Hey all, just a very quick question for a friend.

Would you think there would be a demand at all for a mature babysitter, with own transport and very experienced etc. (she is 32).

Would parents rather that, than take on a 15 year old kid for example?

Mods: I'm not advertising, just trying to get more parents opinions!

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I would think so esp for a baby.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭Cat Melodeon

Absolutely, provided she had references and wasn't going to charge anymore than the going rate for 15-year-olds!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭m'lady

Thanks for replies so far guys, what would the average rate per hour for a babysitter?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭Yawns

I think it comes down to loacation and what night tbh.

Some charge 8 euro and hour but I have seen comments of 15 per hour in some places. I can imagine some people would be happier to have a 32 year old watch a young infant but would she be as available as say a 16 year old on any given saturday night?

Is this just a part time venture or would she be looking to become a nanny of some kind on a weekend basis.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭Cat Melodeon

At least minimum wage (8.65 an hour), possibly a bit more for more than one very young kid, very late nights etc. I usually round up to the nearest €5 and drive her home too (her folks drop her to me).

• Advertisement

T
    Yawns wrote: »
    I think it comes down to loacation and what night tbh.

Some charge 8 euro and hour but I have seen comments of 15 per hour in some places. I can imagine some people would be happier to have a 32 year old watch a young infant but would she be as available as say a 16 year old on any given saturday night?

Is this just a part time venture or would she be looking to become a nanny of some kind on a weekend basis.

Well she would be looking at it as a part time venture, in that she works part time at present but her pay and hours have been reduced. She reckons she could make herself be available most nights and even some days if needed for an hour or so.
    Personally I think she could do well if she charged a reasonable rate, she works in care sector which is an advantage I'd imagine.
    I have a child, I'm lucky I have family to babysit if needed, so I've no idea of the rates!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭Yawns

As a part time only she may be too tired some times or just not available. This is 1 reason why it's so handy to have say a 16 year old girl in secondary school for the once offs.

Of course if she charged a reasonable rate she could do well. She would more likely get calls for younger infants I would imagine as parents would feel she would be safer option being the full grown up etc

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Dreams aloud

Well i'm 24 & only babysit now & again, but i get 10 euro an hour. Having said that, both adults are in well paid jobs & i've been babysitting there for years so think that's a factor. Think it depends on the income of the family what they'd pay but i'd definately set a minimum rate.

Also as regards your other query, having a lot of nieces & nephews i don't know how anyone leaves their baby with a teenager..madness really..so definately think there'd be a demand for older babysitters.

Thanks for all your replies, I'll encourage her to advertise it and see how it goes!

Advertisement