Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Halloween Hazzards and worries for elderley

Options
  • 12-10-2010 10:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭

Before we start here please lets all be careful about what we write. Lets not have this thread locked.

My big concern at this time of the year is our elderley relatives and neighbours who are living in great fear of the illegal fireworks we will soon have zooming about the various towns and villages of North County Dublin. No doubt some of the fireworks as usual will be aimed in their direction, "just for a bit of a laugh like".

What can be done about it? How do we get the people firing these to do it away from our elderly residents? The markets in Jonesboro and fireworks factory up at Carrigarnon will have plenty of visits from this area over the next week or two

Anyway folks dont be afraid to pick up the phone or call to an elderley person over the next few weeks, or anytime for that matter.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

LeoB wrote: »
    Before we start here please lets all be careful about what we write. Lets not have this thread locked.

My big concern at this time of the year is our elderley relatives and neighbours who are living in great fear of the illegal fireworks we will soon have zooming about the various towns and villages of North County Dublin. No doubt some of the fireworks as usual will be aimed in their direction, "just for a bit of a laugh like".

What can be done about it? How do we get the people firing these to do it away from our elderly residents? The markets in Jonesboro and fireworks factory up at Carrigarnon will have plenty of visits from this area over the next week or two

Anyway folks dont be afraid to pick up the phone or call to an elderley person over the next few weeks, or anytime for that matter.

First of all, a very worthy post for this time of year and I totally agree with what you say above.

I think anyone that has cleaned out there gutter on their house has found the remains of one or two fireworks. I have to say that most of the fireworks in my area were actually from bigger kids(25-50) bracket usually as part of a Halloween party. It wasn't as bad last year due to the big kids pocket money decreasing, hopefully they be reduced to a couple of sparklers this year.

Seening that fireworks are still illegal here but the law seems to be never enforced on the ordinary public, it would be an area I would like to see fines brought in that perhaps the proceeds can go towards the elderly organisations or animal organisations as every year we read about animals injuryed by bangers or fireworks too.

If communities really wish to have a Halloween Firework Display it should be organised by licence in conjuction with the local council and with proper health and safety measures inplace in an appropriate area, not over the houses across the road. A carrot and stick method might make this a safer time for everyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭dan_d

All true. I might also add that if you're the parent of teenagers, find out what they're doing.

We can all look after our elderly neighbours, but people need to take responsibility for what their kids/teenagers are up to aswell. Not buying fireworks for them is a good place to start.

I know for the 25-50 that obviously doesn't apply...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

A word of warning to those 'bigger kids' holding firework parties for their children. A few years ago at one of these my hubby was holding a roman candle, as were all the men, and it backfired in his hand costing him half a finger. Luckily he had just moved it to his left hand and was looking the other way or it could have been a lot worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

Corsendonk wrote: »
    If communities really wish to have a Halloween Firework Display it should be organised by licence in conjuction with the local council and with proper health and safety measures inplace in an appropriate area, not over the houses across the road. A carrot and stick method might make this a safer time for everyone.

I think the councils could play a role here ok. A designated area for fireworks and anywhere else a fine.................
    Its awful to read and hear some of the things people do on animals at this time of year. One problem the Garadái have is they will be labelled killjoys if they come on too strong. Yes I also accept its the law and apart from elderley people there are also people who are not elderley but ill at home. The community councils could also organise something and charge or ask for a donation from each family
    dan_d wrote: »
    All true. I might also add that if you're the parent of teenagers, find out what they're doing.,...
    This is one of the key issues. I am full sure most parents would find it hard to believe what is going on and their little pets would be involved. My kids are a little young yet but I would want a neighbour to tip me off if they up to "mischief". On the other hand you cant approach everyone like this.

We can all look after our elderly neighbours,...
    But UNFORTUNALEY we dont do enough of it
    I know for the 25-50 that obviously doesn't apply...
    Oh jeasus it does, problem is they need as much as much if not more watching especially with a drop of Vino on board!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Eoineo

I can't speak for other areas of NCD but there are some organised activities in Balbriggan this year. When I have a copy of the schedule I'll post it. While it won't be fireworks there will be plenty of stuff to keep the younger kids occupied.

There have been a few, but definitely less fireworks than last year.

In saying all of that there has been a good number of arson attacks on dilapidated (uninhabited) buildings in North & North West Balbriggan since the beginning of September. Please everyone keep vigilant out there as the younger kids think that the fires and the fire tenders coming out are fantastic. They're not.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭dan_d

LeoB wrote: »
    Oh jeasus it does, problem is they need as much as much if not more watching especially with a drop of Vino on board!!!!

Well true, but what I meant was their parents can't do much about it!! Whatever control you might have over a 16 yr old, you don't have it over a 26 yr old!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭TangyZizzle

If you think young lads are out throwing bangers at elderly people then you're touched, stuff like that just isn't tolerated even by their own group of friends. We live in North County Dublin, not Serbia.

If you think young lads are out throwing bangers at elderly people then you're touched, stuff like that just isn't tolerated even by their own group of friends. We live in North County Dublin, not Serbia.

I am far from "touched" but Unfortunatley it is happening in N.C.D and a lot of other places aswell, maybe by a minority but it happens. They might not throw them at the people but It seems people gather near where we have vunerable people and they get a terrible time Every year we hear the stories about people being afraid or getting a hard time from people who think its funny

The thrust of this thread however is remind people to look out for elderly or ill people in their neighbourhood.

I am not trying to slate our generally good youth oF N.C.D.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭Martron

in fairness to leob he is the first to praise the youngsters around rush even when people are trying to blame them for stuff.

In fairness.. after reading his opinions on the youth of NCD over and over, Id say theyve been made up by those who partake in the GAA, which tend not to be the bad eggs.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Back on topic please

Thanks

Beasty

In fairness.. after reading his opinions on the youth of NCD over and over, Id say theyve been made up by those who partake in the GAA, which tend not to be the bad eggs.

I would'nt agree. G.A.A in N.C.D. and in my area caters for a good few of the youth but far from the majority, but generally I find the vast majority of the youth quite good. We have a few rough diamonds!!

Now if we could get the small minority to think a little about about what they are doing it might make halloween not such a scarey time for any of our vunerable people.

I think in our area(Rush) its gotten a lot better in recent years, Im not sure which year it was but Im sure you can recall when there was basically a war in the park by the harbour. I was caught up in the middle of it and was only 14 at the time, or there abouts.

I think in our area(Rush) its gotten a lot better in recent years, Im not sure which year it was but Im sure you can recall when there was basically a war in the park by the harbour. I was caught up in the middle of it and was only 14 at the time, or there abouts.

Yes I remember it well. Really only a handful of fkrs but they caused mayhem and ruined it for so many others.

It has quietened down by this Morning at 6.30 I heard 2 rockets. Anyway lets all keep an eye out for our neighbours.

Advertisement