Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Things you used to think when you were younger.

• 12-10-2010 11:16pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭

What are the things that you completely misunderstood during your childhood? I remember being about 10 and hearing on about the IRA men and the Guerrilla training over in Columbia. I though they were training actual Gorillas :o

I also used to think that Stephen Hawking was Tonk Hawk's brother and that they were both skaters :pac:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

Money. I had no idea it was so important.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

Voltwad wrote: »

I also used to think that Stephen Hawking was Tonk Hawk's brother and that they were both skaters :pac:
    :facepalm:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,228 ✭✭✭epgc3fyqirnbsx

I thought a man came out to paint the white lines in the morning

And that the cross man would come and give out to me if I wasn't in bed on time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,806 ✭✭✭✭KeithM89_old

I used to think ice cream came out of cow and straight into a tub :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,554 ✭✭✭✭alwaysadub

When the TV programme London's Burning started, i got upset cos my sister lived there at the time and i thought she was gonna get caught up in a fire..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,417 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

I thought the phrase "kicking the bucket" was literal when I was about 6. Spent an entire morning gearing myself up to kick the waste paper basket as a dare. Eventually ran up to it, gave it a little tap with my toe and ran away from it. Wouldn't go to sleep that night in case I died in my sleep.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭Pinturicchio

I used to think a Garda lived down the road from us and brought his car home everyday. In reality, the Gards were just called to our estate every day. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭teaholic

You know the way the sun's rays comes through the clouds? I used to think that was God! :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭Deus Ex Machina

I used to think that I would get a prize if I sucked oil out of a pipe this kind old man used to hold down an lane near my school.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭TanG411

I thought there were little people in the TV.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Superbus

My friend's sister once said this: "I like brown people because because they make me think of chocolate. I want to eat a brown person."

It is now gone down in folklore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 522 ✭✭✭KevinVonSpiel

I used to think I was indecisive... but now I am absolutely convinced that that is not the case.

Haw haw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

I thought when it rained God was upset...I understood the concepts of pathetic falicy from a young age it would appear

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Voltwad wrote: »
    I remember being about 10 and hearing on about the IRA men and the Guerrilla training over in Columbia. I though they were training actual Gorillas :o
    Same with me except it was the Gorillas in Viet Nam .It was still all happening over there when I was a kid :o

I use to look at the fluff in my belly button and wonder what it was , how it got there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭Sanjuro

My parents took myself and my sister to the Canary Islands when we were kids. I was about 7, my sister 5. While at the resort, my parents told me about this band of thieves that lived in the hills surrounding the resort. They told me of how the thieves used to rob the rich, evil mayor, and give the money to the poor. Real Robin Hood characters. The leader of this band of thieves was Rodrigo The Bandito. One night we were in a bar and my da called me over. He pointed out this Spanish dude and told me 'you see that man? That's Rodrigo the Bandito.' My jaw hit the ground. I was in awe. And then, to my shock and delight, my parents introduced me to Rodrigo The Bandito. There's even a photo of him shaking my hand.

About 12 years later, I was talking to my mam about that holiday. And I say to her 'remember that Rodrigo fella? The thief you and da introduced me to in that bar. What was the deal with him again? Was he ever caught?' My mam looked at me. 'He was a random builder your father and I asked to pretend to be Rodrigo. There was no Rodrigo.' It was like the day I found out Santa didn't exist all over again. Santa having been proven false the previous Christmas. I was 19.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,305 ✭✭✭DOC09UNAM

That puberty would hit me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,554 ✭✭✭✭alwaysadub

PaulieC wrote: »
    I thought when it rained God was upset...I understood the concepts of pathetic falicy from a young age it would appear

And when there was thunder, it was God moving the furniture around!

I am was very gullible, so no doubt i believed a lot of stupid sh1te, i've just blocked it all from my memory :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,762 ✭✭✭✭stupidusername

I used to think babys came our the womans bum :o in fairness I didn't know there was so much stuff going on down there!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

I used to think that if i worked hard i would make enough money to be comfortable. Silly me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭holystungun9

I used to think that I would get a prize if I sucked oil out of a pipe this kind old man used to hold down an lane near my school.

Aaah, little Timmy, glad to know you are keeping well. It's a small world after all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

I thought the lollipop lady would give out lollipops. Stingy bitch.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭sesna

I used to think "the government" was one man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Sharkey 10

I thought the world used to be black and white and that there was actually 2 pennies inside a 2 p coin , 5 pennies in a 5 p coin etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭Tom Slick

I used to think I wouldn't end up spending time at this Shit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

Sharkey 10 wrote: »
    I thought the world used to be black and white

I said that to someone as a joke the other day and they didn't get it which really made me wonder if they still thought that. lol

• Subscribers Posts: 32,856 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Latchy wrote: »
    I use to look at the fluff in my belly button and wonder what it was , how it got there

I still do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,565 ✭✭✭southsiderosie

alwaysadub wrote: »
    And when there was thunder, it was God moving the furniture around!

I thought thunder was the angels bowling.

I thought that if you swallowed a watermelon seed, one would grow in your stomach.

I thought that anyone who was an "engineer" drove a train and wore one of those tall blue and white hats.

I thought that bad things only happened to bad people. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

5starpool wrote: »
    I still do.

Now it's called navel gazing .

But sure what else would it be called :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 plug-in-baby

my grandfather had a big stereo and i used to think there was people in it talking and singing, i used to think that if you planted the pips after you ate an apple a tree would grow or if u ate them one would grow in you .
    my mother also used to convince myself and my sister that santys elves lived in the bushes at the railway tracks behind our back garden and used to think we could see there hats if there was a bag caught in it. and when i was really small i used to think that when i flushed the toilet that a witch was going to come out of it and chase after me...... dunno where that one came from

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,204 ✭✭✭FoxT

Thought for ages it was 'De Iron Throat' ...

- FoxT

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭Deus Ex Machina

Aaah, little Timmy, glad to know you are keeping well. It's a small world after all.

Ah, Father O'Haire, I didn't know you were on Boards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Doc

Have you ever seen a puddle with a bit of oil in it like this?
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/atwoodn/907320052/in/set-72157601021801190/
    Well that’s where I thought rainbows came from when I was a kid.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Overature

i used to think that people in the olden days saw everything in black and white, after watching loads of WW2 stuff on discovery

• Closed Accounts Posts: 433 ✭✭Rocky_Dennis

I used to think santa was real, how stupid of me :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭Ciano35

I always wondered why the frisbee kept getting bigger, and then it hit me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭we'llallhavetea_old

i spent years thinking my dad was a criminal because he said he served his time as a butcher :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭saywhatyousee

sesna wrote: »
    I used to think "the government" was one man.
    it probaly is;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

There was a shooting in the North this one time. When the news was over and the weather was on the screen with the map of Ireland, I thought that Lough Neagh was the symbol for the location where guy that had been shot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭Jennyfer

We used to have a caravan down in Wexford and every morning you'd hear birds running up and down on the roof. Being a caravan and about 6am it sounded really loud and my Dad used to say "Did you hear that bird again in his feckin welly boots?" and for years I actually used to think it literally was a bird wearing wellies..always had an image of a magpie in black shiny wellies. I was terrified whenever I heard it :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭ringadingding

Used to think that the fumes from a car exhaust was what made it move.

Used to think White dog poo was from White dogs

Used to think being 1/2 English 1/2 Irish meant I was born on the ferry, and done a speech about it in school

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Dreams aloud

I used to think my parents knew nothing

Mark Twain
    When I was a boy of fourteen, my father was so ignorant I could hardly stand to have the old man around. But when I got to be twenty-one, I was astonished at how much the old man had learned in seven years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭scientific1982

Sanjuro wrote: »
    My parents took myself and my sister to the Canary Islands when we were kids. I was about 7, my sister 5. While at the resort, my parents told me about this band of thieves that lived in the hills surrounding the resort. They told me of how the thieves used to rob the rich, evil mayor, and give the money to the poor. Real Robin Hood characters. The leader of this band of thieves was Rodrigo The Bandito. One night we were in a bar and my da called me over. He pointed out this Spanish dude and told me 'you see that man? That's Rodrigo the Bandito.' My jaw hit the ground. I was in awe. And then, to my shock and delight, my parents introduced me to Rodrigo The Bandito. There's even a photo of him shaking my hand.

About 12 years later, I was talking to my mam about that holiday. And I say to her 'remember that Rodrigo fella? The thief you and da introduced me to in that bar. What was the deal with him again? Was he ever caught?' My mam looked at me. 'He was a random builder your father and I asked to pretend to be Rodrigo. There was no Rodrigo.' It was like the day I found out Santa didn't exist all over again. Santa having been proven false the previous Christmas. I was 19.
    I wasnt even going to read that because im lazy and have the attention span of a midge, but im glad I did. My auld fella used to tell me **** like that too and id never question it until years later.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

I thought rape was the same as stab. I guess I was right in a way.

I wasnt even going to read that because im lazy and have the attention span of a midge, but im glad I did. My auld fella used to tell me **** like that too and id never question it until years later.
    I used to think that people on the tv could see me.

I used to think babys came our the womans bum :o in fairness I didn't know there was so much stuff going on down there!
    I used to think they came out of a womans tits when I was very young. I wasnt going to post it because even though its AH its beyond dumb.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭Mackman

I used to think that they had different pigs in frankfurt, and thats where frankfurters came from

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭thebullkf

i remember reading a HardyBoys story years ago..or the Famous Five maybe... chasing smugglers in the catacombs... i used to think they were like dungeons,full of cats,combing their hair....

i got better.

eventually.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

I used to think that good things come to those who wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Jeweliette

When I was 3 my cousin and best friend of the same age had to go to hospital to have a tooth removed under general anesthetic. We were both very taken with cowboys at the time & loved wearing cowboys hats and sherrifs badges etc. To allay any fears he might have about hospital his parents told him that he was going to hospital to be measured for cowboys holsters on the request of the king of all the cowboys who liked his style and was calling him up to the force.

He fully believed it and so did I. It made perfect sense that there'd be a special cowboy initiation in the hospital.

I can fully remember the day he went to get it done & him coming back the next day with holsters and a set of guns. I was brimming with pride at the idea that my cousin was now a fully fledged cowboy. It didn't occur to either of us to question it for some years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭Napper Hawkins

I used to think that I was surrounded by cowards, scumbags and idiots.

Then I realised I was right and got the **** out.:p

• Advertisement
Advertisement