Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Boards Spin - Bank Holiday Monday, 25th October

• 12-10-2010 11:53pm
    Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,702 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭

Anyone interested in a spin through my “Modland”, Dublin County North to help me get a bit closer to my 10,000km target for the year?

It will be only a few days after a special occasion for me, and I think it only appropriate to invite everyone to my place for some celebratory cake.

Full details will follow, but it will probably start in Swords and will take in Beasty's Dive (scene of last year's crash) and Beasty's Drop (this year's) along with trips up Ardgillan Hill and the Nag's Head.

About half way round we can drop into Beasty's lair for refreshments

Total distance will be 80-100km or so.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Might be on for this. Depends on what else I get sucked into in the meantime.

Be handy for burning off the indulgence involved at my sister's wedding that weekend...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Depending on start time I could well be up for this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 296 ✭✭Staro

Beasty, I will try to tag along but will have to get a day pass :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭coolbeans

Jaysus, I dunno; DNS...I'll go if there's, ya know, security and the like. I'll assume there is so I'm in.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,702 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

coolbeans wrote: »
    Jaysus, I dunno; DNS...I'll go if there's, ya know, security and the like. I'll assume there is so I'm in.
    Don't worry - we'll look after you;)

I'll put a route up later in the week

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

If I'm around Dublin this weekend I'll go on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,069 ✭✭✭✭neris

might pop up for that myself

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭shaungil

80-100 km surely that's just a a couple of laps of Beasty's demense. Not sure where I'll be but might try and get a long keep me in the loop. Will be great to see somone in their 80's doing that type of distance!

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,702 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

shaungil wrote: »
    Will be great to see somone in their 80's doing that type of distance!

Ahem .....

banhammer.jpg

If I'm around Dublin this weekend I'll go on it.
    You can check-out a pie plate that may be of interest;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭English Bob

Sounds good Beasty.
    Any info on start time etc.,?
    Depending on other 'family' commitments I'm def in!

Sounds good Beasty.
    Any info on start time etc.,?
    Depending on other 'family' commitments I'm def in!
    I was thinking aboiut starting from Swords about 10, heading down from Skerries at about 9.30. It's the Dublin marathon on Monday, so I'm not sure if there are any logistical issues for anyone heading out of town

I'll post up a proposed route later on

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,004 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

I fancy it but how long from Stillorgan to Swords approx.? Is it too long a spin?
    Git dat map out!

......ah, up the Malahide Road etc.? 15.5 miles then. Sound right?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Planet X wrote: »
    ......ah, up the Malahide Road etc.? 15.5 miles then. Sound right?

No. We use KM in this country :pac:

Git dat map out!
    Suggested Route - avoiding Blakes Cross/Turvey!

Raam wrote: »
    No. We use KM in this country :pac:

When's the last time you ordered, from the barman, 500ml. of your finest ale wench?
    :D

When's the last time you ordered, from the barman, 500ml. of your finest ale wench?
    :D

You know the score...

Pints in the bar
    KM on the road

actually that sounds bad

Cakes are baked and awaiting consumption.

For anyone coming from Skerries I'm planning setting off from outside the cricket club about 9.30, aiming to get to Swords just before 10.

Meet up at the Swords by-pass, Seatown Roundabout (alongside the football pitches on the Northbound hard-shoulder - the last roundabout before the M1 junction)

Hopefully see some of you tomorrow.

Anyone heading up from the Southside?
    Want to meet up in town for example?
    Busarse?

• Advertisement

Watch out for the Dublin marathon, which starts in town at around 9am, heading initially northside, through Phoenix Park - details at http://dublinmarathon.ie/

Plan to tap in along the coast road and avoid it all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭mike12

Might try and make it in the morning for a part of the trip havent cycled in 6 weeks so really unfit so might make it till the first small hill.
    Mike

• Closed Accounts Posts: 445 ✭✭LDB

Sounds good. I'll tag along.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭snollup

Will be there. Anyone heading out from DNS?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 650 ✭✭✭jimm

Beasty wrote: »
    Cakes are baked and awaiting consumption.

It's weird, but the promise of cake is mysteriously drawing me towards this, and I am powerless to resist. :eek:

Anyway, count me in and I will do all I can to help an old man reach his goals. :D

Meet up at the Swords by-pass, Seatown Roundabout (alongside the football pitches on the Northbound hard-shoulder - the last roundabout before the M1 junction)

Beasty, your map shows the meet up at Estuary Roundabout. It's the next one up from Seatown Roundabout.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭coolbeans

I'm out unfortunately. Good luck all.

jimm wrote: »
    Beasty, your map shows the meet up at Estuary Roundabout. It's the next one up from Seatown Roundabout.
    You're right - apologies for any confusion - it's the last one before the M1 junction anyway

• Advertisement

In.

In, if my sore throat ain't too bad in the morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

I will try and make it. I don't want to do a century so i'll drive up to swords. and meet you at the start... yes yes i am a wimp.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,558 ✭✭✭The tax man

Working tomorrow.:(
    Missing out on some home made cakes.:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

Beasty are you bringing them through the village of bcmf/RobFowl? And what time do you expect the cake fest to be on in Castle Beasty ? (Rob Fowl asked me to ask you this.I have no interest in cake whatsoever)
    Ps you have a pm :)

In.
    Out.

definitely out.

• Advertisement

bcmf wrote: »
    Beasty are you bringing them through the village of bcmf/RobFowl? And what time do you expect the cake fest to be on in Castle Beasty ? (Rob Fowl asked me to ask you this.I have no interest in cake whatsoever)
    Ps you have a pm :)
    Was planning to go from Naul onto Balbriggan and down the coast road, then up Ardgillan. I didn't want to give anyone the wrong impression of the area and was avoiding going too near your place:).

MapmyRide here

Aiming at being at the "lair" around 11.45-12 - You are both welcome to drop down for the cake (made by my good friends Spencer and Mark)

Sorry, couldn't make that in the end.
    'er indoors insisted I have a lie in. That means out shopping now!
    Drat and Double Drat!

'er indoors insisted I have a lie in.

Too much detail!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

Too much detail!

HA.....Glad I wasnt the only one that had the same thought when I saw that post

Started off with a bit of a disaster, as I got the bike out to find the rear wheel had a broken spoke

Had to do a quick change of wheel and cassette, so no power details

Knowing I was 15 minutes late setting off, I TT'd the 14 km to the start at just under 34kph (it was into a bit of a headwind, so it's a pity I don't have the power info)

Got to the start to see Caroline, LDB, Raam, Jimm, el tonto and Mike12 waiting for me - nice to meet you Mike

We then set off, roughly round the route I posted, although one or two were struggling a bit with the hills, so we cut out a couple of bits before arriving at the lair for the cakes

Caroline and Mike headed straight back, while the rest of us went looking for more hills - fair play in particular to el tonto, as he's hardly been on the bike for a few weeks because of injury. The Nags Head nearly finished him off.

Back to Swords, and I clocked about 70km at 25kph Swords to Swords, 96km at 26.7kph door to door

Great weather for it

Thanks for coming out guys

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 445 ✭✭LDB

Thanks for the spin and the cake Beasty!
    lovely day out there.

Route: 7/10 - I did skip the dessert of more hills as I wasnt feeling up for it.
    Host: 8/10 - Beasty is a great host, knows the nice quiet roads and warns us well in advance when it goes up a bit. And towed me back up at some stage after I notice a hole in my tights.
    In times of troubles it comes down to one thing: CAKE!
    Cake:7/10 - M&S cakes, chocolate and nice cup of tea.

Total:22/30

Who's next?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Mike12, Raam and LDB:

5114602382_a878d3c381_z.jpg

Caroline and birthday boy Beasty:

5114607774_b81710bf6a_z.jpg

Raam and Jimm:

5114008109_3f8570508e_z.jpg

110 km for me. The first decent spin since breaking my shoulder seven weeks ago. First 70km were great. The rest was an exercise in suffering. We'll build from there.

Thanks to Beasty for choosing an excellent route and being a great host.
    Thanks to LDB for her magic tablets.
    Thanks to Jimm for the company on the long crawl back to town.

Thanks for coming out guys

You're welcome Beasty, just glad we could make a happy man feel very old. :D

Thanks for an excellent day out, a well thought out course, and for being a super host. The sugar boost from those cakes certainly helped on those final climbs.

Thanks to everyone for a great spin and nice to meet Mike12.

126km round trip for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭mike12

Hi,
    Good to meet u all and i was one of the struggler's on the hills but it was only my second spin since i broke my elbow and i hate fecking hills good route and the cakes were great thanks Beasty.
    Mike

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭poochiem

well done, and a great day ye had, i did a bit of the marathon with some friends today and it just felt so bloody slow I kept wishing I had hit out on a spin instead.

Come Spin with me - Round Two
    Who's next?

I made 2 attempts to run this one without sucess, so if anyone can make next Sat. you are very welcome. Original route or variations considered as long as coffee stop is in Laragh. Would be nice to have one long spin in Wicklow before the winter sets in.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055782109

PS. Due to current finances, coffee and cake is on me, for the first 10 to sign up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

Who's next?

Well, its obvious that you should be next - I mean you have been know to make a pretty tasty cake:D.

ROK ON wrote: »
    Well, its obvious that you should be next - I mean you have been know to make a pretty tasty cake:D.
    my cakes are better appreciated on a spring day ... when you can burn more of it.

jimm wrote: »
    Come Spin with me - Round Two

I made 2 attempts to run this one without sucess, so if anyone can make next Sat. you are very welcome.

Bear in mind RobFowl is doing his charity spin next Saturday.

• Advertisement
Advertisement