Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

214th Merseyside Derby - 17/10. KO 1.30PM

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭ilovelamp2000

Should we put Kenny in charge for the second half ?

That'll change everything

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Rosco1982 wrote: »
    This is what I don't get.

Last season our tactics were pretty identical. But Rafa's a tactical genius and Roy hasn't got a clue ?

last year rafa went to places like goodison to win and he won comfortably and the year before that too

woy doesn't know how to win away from home, he sets out his teams to try and not get beat

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

coleman should walk into traps team, ffs he is more creative that most of our midfielders.

they dont call him seamus ramos for nowt....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

At least Gerrard looks like he's trying. Few good balls being pinged around, and he's getting stuck in. Can't really fault Meireles either.

Maxi, Cole & Lucas have been shocking.

We need a new midfield pretty much.

I'd be inclined to give Babel a run out, and maybe even Aurelio wide left. Even Jovanovich would be better ffs.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,210 ✭✭✭argosy2006

So what changes would everyone make ?

none at the min,
    just push foward, have our back 4 playing on half way line,, lets see if they can get in behind us, reina is good sweeper lol:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

I'm ashamed to say I really don't care if we win or lose today. I felt nothing when that goal went in

your dedication to your team is truly inspiring.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Dave in, Lucas out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I'd spend 100 million quid and, oh sorry now? Go 4-4-2 with N'Gog dropping Lucas and trying Babel on the right at least he has some pace.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭MR NINE

flahavaj wrote: »
    What is it with Liverpool this season and poor first halves? It seems every game they go in losing only to up their game somewhat second half.

Its coz we're only playing in our own half for the first half, as the opposition begin to tire in the second half, we're full of energy having done **** all bar watch the other team in the first half.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,415 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

This is what I don't get.

Last season our tactics were pretty identical. But Rafa's a tactical genius and Roy hasn't got a clue ?

We didn't set ourself out in this manner under Benitez. The formation was the same, but the actual approach in terms of pressing and getting bodies up the pitch was completely different.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,411 ✭✭✭shotamoose

Really ?

You'll have to explain.

Well apparently someone needs to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

rossie1977 wrote: »
    last year rafa went to places like goodison to win and he won comfortably and the year before that too

woy doesn't know how to win away from home, he sets out his teams to try and not get beat

He has brought a small club mentality to Liverpool tbh.

Sitting back is grand when you're at a club where anything above 17th is a bonus. Not so good at a club that should be aiming for the CL.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭Col200sx

Voltwad, I'll see your

2jfkbx1.jpg

And raise you:

n1569849155_30132415_289.jpg

:D

flahavaj wrote: »
    What is it with Liverpool this season and poor first halves? It seems every game they go in losing only to up their game somewhat second half.

woy washes them out of it with dwyer?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Tactics were not identical last last season, we're playing about 20 yards deeper for starters, Torres was never as isolated, team had more shape, got more offensively from our fullbacks and our centre halves looked like they had a clue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭The Volt

Col200sx wrote: »
    Voltwad, I'll see your

2jfkbx1.jpg

And raise you:

n1569849155_30132415_289.jpg

:D
    Dogs of war :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

We don't need to make any subs. We need to press Everton in their own half, like they're doing to us. We need to get our full backs forward when we have the ball, and close the gap between our midfield and forwards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Duiske

wcarey1975 wrote: »
    I was all for giving RH time but he hasnt given me a reason to stay. I know its not LFC but he needs to go and sooner the better before we get into real danger

The thing is, we are in real danger. Shocking effort again today. After all that went on during the week I felt good about this game today, but its just back to reality again now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,370 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Maxi out, Lucas out, Konchesky out

Aurelio, Babel, N'Gog in.

Sooner than later please.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,370 ✭✭✭✭8-10

We don't need to make any subs. We need to press Everton in their own half, like they're doing to us. We need to get our full backs forward when we have the ball, and close the gap between our midfield and forwards.

Forwards???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,343 ✭✭✭Ardent

daithijjj wrote: »
    Maxi is fkin brutal. Might aswel be down to 10 men with him on the pitch.

Down to 9 with Lucas on there as well.

Kelly for Carra as well, just to piss Jamie off completely!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

I'm really surprised Cole has been so bad we dodged a bullet with him considering the wages he's on

Last year, we:

- beat Everton with 10 men at home;
    - beat Utd at home;
    - beat Benfica decisively at home;
    - beat Aston Villa away;
    - beat Spurs at home;

Good performances AND results dotted throughout the course of the season. We finished 7th, which wasn't acceptable of course.

Under Hodgson I have seen nothing to suggest we would be acceptable of any of the above performances. And I do not believe that we will get near finishing 7th if he remains in charge for a much greater portion of the season.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭ilovelamp2000

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    We didn't set ourself out in this manner under Benitez. The formation was the same, but the actual approach in terms of pressing and getting bodies up the pitch was completely different.

We never got bodies up the pitch under Benitez. We constantly played long balls to the wings. We pressed a little more up the pitch but that's the only real difference.

I suppose what I'm getting at is if people think the big problem is tactics I simply can't agree. The big problem for me is far too many **** and or underperforming players being in the team. Lucas and Maxi are rubbish, Konchesky is probably rubbish too, Kyrgiakos is distinctly average, Skrtel is a little better. Carragher is not as good as he used to be. Torres is way off form and fitness, Meireles seems okay but probably isn't being used correctly, Cole has failed to really impress in the league. Only Gerrard and Reina can hold their heads up this season, the rest have been a joke.

It's a collective malaise.

• Advertisement

We never got bodies up the pitch under Benitez. We constantly played long balls to the wings. We pressed a little more up the pitch but that's the only real difference.

I suppose what I'm getting at is if people think the big problem is tactics I simply can't agree. The big problem for me is far too many **** and or underperforming players being in the team. Lucas and Maxi are rubbish, Konchesky is probably rubbish too, Kyrgiakos is distinctly average, Skrtel is a little better. Carragher is not as good as he used to be. Torres is way off form and fitness, Meireles seems okay but probably isn't being used correctly, Cole has failed to really impress in the league. Only Gerrard and Reina can hold their heads up this season, the rest have been a joke.

post of the thread

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Pressing higher up the pitch makes a massive difference. At the moment the best ye can hope for in a game is a draw they way ye are set up. Rafa wasn't gung ho by any means but at least his teams offered more attacking threat than the limp passive style Hodgson has brought tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭5ForKeeps

Get rid of Hodgson before it gets worse than 3rd bottom.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Half chance for Maxi. Positive start for Liverpool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,373 ✭✭✭Dr Galen

We could bring on Pato, Drogba and anyone else you care to mention but if we continue to have this shape and sit so far back it wouldn't make a blind bit of difference. It's easy to see that we are playing far far far too deep in our own half and not pressing the ball when we don't have it. As bad as some of the players have been the system is ultimately at fault. We have some fine individuals but if you don't play to your strengths your always going to be in difficulty tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,146 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Cue much improved second half from Pool..

We'll have to agree to disagree. Deliberately sitting this deep and choosing not to apply pressure high up the pitch is vital in terms of mentality and attitude. If you can't or won't see that fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

FFS Cole can't get past the first man everytime he crosses the ball. Shocking bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,531 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Can anyone see Roy being the type to give the players a bollicking? I just cant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

Oooooooooooooooooooooooooooh.

"WHAT A HIT SON!!"

LULZ

Game over, Arteta

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

Beautiful strike 2-0

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,531 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Arteta!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

This is fcuking joke.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Wow. Quality finish from Arteta.

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭5ForKeeps

Ardent wrote: »
    Down to 9 with Lucas on there as well.

If our defence pressed up higher he could be able to pick out the likes of Maxi and Cole if the two lads couldn't actually get up into forward positions.

Like he did against Brazil, he was pure class in picking out passes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭ollie1

:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,146 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Cue much improved second half from Pool..

...or not...

The DVD will be out on Monday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭The Volt

Tony Yeboah like

**** YES

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,975 ✭✭✭iMuse

Boom, No stopping that strike, game over imo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

ahem

as i was saying...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Thats a really great strike. Fully deserved advantage for Everton.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Thief

Sh!t !!!!!

Advertisement