Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Educate Together school in Tramore

Options
  • 13-10-2010 12:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 24

Anyone who thinks they might be interested in having an Educate Together primary school in Tramore is invited to a meeting in The Vic (queen st, Tramore) at 8pm on Monday 18th October.

If you cannot attend or would like to know more you can contact me via PM or on this thread. I have a little stash of brochures describing the ethos of the school that I'd be happy to distribute to anyone interested.

Due to the rapid growth of its popuation Tramore is earmarked to get a new primary school and this can be an Educate Together school if we can prove that there is a demand for one. Therefore we need to hear from *absolutely everyone* who is interested. If you are not interested yourself but know of someone who might, please pass on this information so they can make contact with me or the Educate Together organisation www.educatetogether.ie

SPREAD THE WORD!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭wellboy76

Excuse my ignorance but is Irish taught in one of these schools?

At the face of it, these schools seem great. I have my lot in the Holy X and would have had to think twice about where to send them if one of these were in T-Bay!

• Registered Users Posts: 24 CMcL

Thanks for your question Wellboy76,

Yes Irish is taught in Educate Together schools and if I quote their website, "they operate the same National Curriculum, follow the same Rules for Boards of Management and are staffed by teachers who have the same level of professional qualifications and recognition."

Apart from their more up to date teaching methods (personal opinion!) the main difference with a denominational school is that they use the hours dedicated for religious education to run their specific programme called "ethical education". I've read up a bit on that programme and I find it very interesting (our family would be classed as atheist).

If you'd like to know more again I'm putting this link to a page of their website which describes the school's ethos in more detail http://www.educatetogether.ie/et-experience/main-publications/

HTH

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭Smiley Burnett

where is this school going to be located?? what about classrooms, facilities etc??

where is this school going to be located?? what about classrooms, facilities etc??

We're nowhere near the stage of having a location yet.

The current situation is that there is funding (allegedly) for a new primary school in Tramore, the question is who is going to run it, and this is decided by the department AFAIK. It basically comes down to which patron can make the most convincing case.

The first hurdle is to show sufficient interest for Educate Together to back the proposal and become patron. This involves guaranteeing enrolment of at least 17 pupils in year 1, and a further 17 in each of years 2 and 3.

It then comes down to putting the case to the department, who will provide the school, though Holy Cross and the Gaelscoil may well smile ruefully at this notion.

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭Mysterious&Shy

My Fiance works in an Educate Together School and yes they do have the same curriculum as other National Schools. The only difference is that they do not teach religion.

Any other questions, please ask and I will be more than happy to pass these onto my Fiance.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

CMcL wrote: »

Apart from their more up to date teaching methods (personal opinion!)
    Sorry, can't let this go unchallenged, what a sweeping statement-and without any foundation. Teaching methods will depend on the teacher and since there is no school, much less any teacher employed,you cannot back up this by any FACTS. It's like me saying every teacher in say COI schools will be better than RC schools.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 jumpedupjohn

Hi, I'm interested in finding out more about ET in Tramore. Have you a contact number as I have viewed the web-site but nothing leads me to contact details regarding new schools.

Sorry, can't let this go unchallenged, what a sweeping statement-and without any foundation. Teaching methods will depend on the teacher and since there is no school, much less any teacher employed,you cannot back up this by any FACTS. It's like me saying every teacher in say COI schools will be better than RC schools.

Hi Byhookorbycrook, you have a very valid point and I accept my wording is a bit unfortunate. Obviously there are fantastic teachers in all schools, be they COI, RC etc. I guess what I really meant is that *in my personal opinion* I find the ethos of a multi denominational school more modern and inclusive than the other schooling options available to parents in Ireland.

Hi, I'm interested in finding out more about ET in Tramore. Have you a contact number as I have viewed the web-site but nothing leads me to contact details regarding new schools.

I've PM'd you Jumpedupjohn.
    The website will be launched in the next few days, I will keep this thread updated.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭deisemum

The thing that puts me off Educate Together schools are the cliques and power hungry parents that have their own agendas on the BOM and treat it as their own personal project and how they actively exclude so many parents getting involved in things and limiting their input unless it suits their agenda which is contrary to what ET represents.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43 garrser

Personally, I would like to see the Gaelscoil in Tramore finally get a permanent building before another school was to be set up here.

deisemum wrote: »
    The thing that puts me off Educate Together schools are the cliques and power hungry parents that have their own agendas on the BOM and treat it as their own personal project and how they actively exclude so many parents getting involved in things and limiting their input unless it suits their agenda which is contrary to what ET represents.

Hi Deisemum, I don't know if you're talking from personal experience or if you heard this from somebody else but the Board of Management is constituted of 6 persons including 2 parents who are democratically elected by the other parents. I imagine that if a parent on the BOM is frustrating the other parents, this person wouldn't be voted in again.

garrser wrote: »
    Personally, I would like to see the Gaelscoil in Tramore finally get a permanent building before another school was to be set up here.

The Gaelscoil is indeed in dire need of a new building and this is well overdue. In my opinion it's a disgrace to leave a school in such buildings for so long. It is my understanding that good progress is currently being made in that direction though I'm not directly involved with the Gaelscoil.

That said the Gaelscoil moving into a permanent building won't solve the issue that the population of Tramore is growing, with another baby boom expected for 2011 and the National Schools here are bursting at the seams. There're only a few towns in ireland earmarked for a new school in the current climate and it is for a good reason that Tramore is one of them. Bottom line is Tramore needs a new school and I personally really hope it will be an ET school as they're truly inclusive of every child.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 lolalake

deisemum wrote: »

This is quite true as the school expands the original founders/patrons won't let go so as to allow the school to be efficient. They feel the need to micro manage all aspects. The web for et talks about inclusivity and the school does this for the children but parents are not included unless the BOM need fundraisers. Maybe not the case in all et schools but most certainly is in ours

lolalake wrote: »
    This is quite true as the school expands the original founders/patrons won't let go so as to allow the school to be efficient. They feel the need to micro manage all aspects. The web for et talks about inclusivity and the school does this for the children but parents are not included unless the BOM need fundraisers. Maybe not the case in all et schools but most certainly is in ours

Sorry to hear of your experience and I'm sure it is not the case in all ET schools as I hear so much enthusiasm about them throughout Ireland. As you point out this is contrary to the ethos of these schools and I hope you get to elect a set of parent you're happy with next time round :)

Hello all, as promised I am keeping this thread up-to-date with all news concerning Tramore ET school.

The pre-enrolment launch is taking place on Saturday 27th November from 11am to 3.00pm in the Tramore Public Library (behing the Grand Hotel). We're hoping to have the school open for September 2011 and the success of this pre-enrolment day will be decisive!

The enrolment policy is strictly on first come first serve basis so the earlier you enrol your child/children the better chance you have to get a place.

Pre-enroling your child puts you under no obligation to take up the place but keeps all your options open when it comes to choosing a school later on. You'll need no documents to pre-enrol, it is only a very short form to fill. You'll only be asked for child's name, DOB, class, year you wish to enrol the child and contact details.

We'll have plenty of documentation, tea, coffee and cakes on the day. All are welcome!

You can also visit www.educatetogethertramore.com for further details or to enrol online from the 27th November onwards.

Please spread the word to anyone you know with babies and young children!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭deisemum

lolalake wrote: »

This is exactly what happens in some ET schools and I know parents who are disillusioned with how the clique are controlling things to suit their own agenda. I know of a parent who was interested in going forward as a parent rep when the BOM were due to have their election but the incumbent chairperson and her clique did not hold the election and just stayed on in their positions, yet when asked about it the answer given was that no one else was interested which wasn't true as this parent had put her name forward before the elections were due.

I've heard plenty of similar reports from different parents on how the chairperson frustrates people at meetings and tries to block any suggestions that are not her own or those from her clique.

Another thing which I've lost count of hearing from people and it would reflect my own view is that a lot of people knowing of and seeing the BOM and some of the parents who attend the school see and refer to it as a hippy school and when you see the state of their children you only wish they were introduced to soap and water and a hairbrush or comb wouldn't be amiss after a dose of Lyclear.

Hi all,

Just to say that the launch of the pre-enrolment is fast approaching now!

It is taking place this Saturday in the Tramore Library between 11am and 3pm (behind the Grand Hotel).

Mothers Knees Tea Parlour is kindly providing cakes to go with the tea and coffee.

Anybody interested or only curious is welcome!

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Mommam

is this session being rearranged as needless to say it was quite difficult to make it to the library yesterday.

Mommam wrote: »
    is this session being rearranged as needless to say it was quite difficult to make it to the library yesterday.

Hi Mommam, yes what an incredible amount of snow and ice on our enrolment day! Who could have planned for this?! We certainly hadn't! :)

Still a few very brave souls tackled the hill and got a warm welcome indeed! The good news is now that the pre-enrolment for Tramore ET is officially launched parents can enrol in their own time and in the comfort of their home by visiting our website http://educatetogethertramore.com/blog/pre-enrolment/ and following the big blue arrow.

For those who prefer the aul pen and paper exercise, there is also the option of downloading and printing the form from a link further down on the same webpage. You can then fill it and return it to the address indicated on the form.

If you've any problem doing any of the above you can always PM me here and I'll look after you.

To answer your question Mommam, there won't be another pre-enrolment launch but we're thinking of organising an information day sometime in the future when people will be able to ask questions and pre-enrol as well. There's no date decided yet but I will post here again about it.

Finally, I wish to express a very special thank you to Tracey from the library as she couldn't have been more helpful and welcoming and also to Mother's Knee Tea Parlour for their gorgeous scones and muffins!

• Advertisement

Hello all,

Just to let you know that there is an INFORMATION DAY this Saturday 22nd January from 11am to 3pm in the Tramore library, market street (behind the Grand Hotel).

You can get more information on the campaign and pre-enrol your children if you haven't already done so.

Again, tea, coffee and buns will be served, courtesy of Mothers knees Tea Parlour. All are welcome, spread the word to anyone who might me interested!

Remember, you can also enrol online here http://educatetogethertramore.com/blog/pre-enrolment/

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Best of luck :)

Hi all,

Just to let you know the information day passed off very successfully. A steady stream of people arrived throughout the morning and afternoon, it was great to see the level of enthusiasm out there for a new school in Tramore.

Niall Wall, the Educate Together Southern Region Development Officer was on hand to answer any broader questions that people had.

We still of course need all the pre-enrolments we can get. Our primary aim is to demonstrate a real demand for an Educate Together NS in Tramore, and that comes from having a healthy pre-enrolment list. So if you’re interested, but are holding off to see how things pan out – which is understandable, please do go ahead and pre-enrol now. You won’t be committing yourself to anything, but you’ll be maximising your chance of gaining a place if/when we do get the go-ahead. Every name on the pre-enrolment list improves our chances of success!

Remember you can visit www.educatetogethertramore.com anytime for the latest updates on the campaign.

Hi all,

Just a couple of news:

We're organising a Table Quiz at O’Neills Pub Thursday 3rd March at 8.30pm.
    €20 for a team of 4, cash and spot prizes, book your babysitters and come along! :D

Also if you're curious you can check out the letters of support we got from the Waterford candidates on our blog here: http://educatetogethertramore.com/blog/news/

Hi all,

Just a reminder for the table quiz on this Thursday at 8.30 in O'Neills! :)

Come along even if you don't have a team, we'll match you up!

(Nice prizes lined up!:D)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Good luck with this, you seem enthusiastic, and I hope that the ET model becomes the norm in Ireland :)

Of course, being from the Pale, I have no reason to be in this forum, just saw it on the main page :p

GL!

Cheers Dave! :)

Advertisement