Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General UFC Chit Chat/News

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Xlami

Ah that must be it alright, well spotted.

http://www.cagepotato.com/please-god-no-art-jimmerson-wants-to-fight-royce-gracie-at-ufc-rio/

Could be some truth to it, Art is pushing for the fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,931 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Griffin v Shogun II official for Rio

http://mmajunkie.com/news/23259/forrest-griffin-vs-mauricio-shogun-rua-ii-booked-for-ufc-134-in-august.mma

Should be a cracking scrap if both fighters come in injury free

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

If shogun is fit, I fancy him to take it by UD.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Niall0

• Registered Users Posts: 39,322 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Beating a gracie apparently makes Royce want to fight you

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,193 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Just as well Rickson has "never lost a fight" eh?? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

MrStuffins wrote: »
    Just as well Rickson has "never lost a fight" eh?? :rolleyes:

He's 400-0 dont you know:rolleyes: ;)

Obviously he doesn't count the time he lost due to being told thje wrong rules.
    Fair enough

• Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

Mellor wrote: »
    Obviously he doesn't count the time he lost due to being told thje wrong rules.
    Fair enough

He does not, hence my sarcasm smiley :)

UFC president Dana White has indicated to MMA Fighting that the promotion has no interest in offering a fight to Brazilian pioneer Royce Gracie for the UFC's upcoming August event in Rio de Janeiro, refuting previous reports that talks between the two sides could result in a Gracie return.

Just last week, Gracie told Brazilian news site Esporte.UOL.com that negotiations for his return were ongoing.

Gracie is considered the sport's early seminal figure, winning three of the first four UFC tournaments with a jiu-jitsu style that was then foreign to most fight fans but has become a necessity in modern MMA. At just 6-foot-1 and around 175 pounds, Gracie used his ground skills to tap out opponents who sometimes outweighed him by 50 pounds or more.

At 44 years old though, Gracie (14-2-3) has not competed in the sport in nearly four years. In his last match, which took place in June 2007, he defeated Kazushi Sakuraba via unanimous decision, but afterward tested positive for steroids and was suspended for a year by the California state athletic commission.

The legend has not fought in the UFC's octagon since May 2006, when he returned after more than 11 years away from the promotion, only to suffer a first-round drubbing at the hands of then UFC welterweight champ Matt Hughes. The fight took place at a 175-pound catch weight, and Hughes dominated Gracie en route to a first-round TKO.

While Gracie would like one more chance to close out his career in style, it looks like the legend is unlikely to see the inside of the octagon at UFC 134.
    http://www.mmafighting.com/2011/04/19/dana-white-shoots-down-royce-gracie-ufc-134-return-rumors/

• Advertisement

No surprise there I don't think anyone actually believe him whnen he suggested he could be should be on the card.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,470 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Did yous see Chael Sonnen on the MMA hour? Man that blokes a lunatic. He's like a politician that figured out he could fight also.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Ush1 wrote: »
    Did yous see Chael Sonnen on the MMA hour? Man that blokes a lunatic. He's like a politician that figured out he could fight also.
    Strangely enough thats exactly what he is :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭ScareGilly

Free Chael Sonnen! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,193 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

ScareGilly wrote: »
    Free Chael Sonnen! :rolleyes:

Free Chael Sonnen?

I'll take one!

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭pauldoo

Jones is injured, phil davis steps in to fight evans

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭the_doctor199

pauldoo wrote: »
    Jones is injured, phil davis steps in to fight evans

Full story..

With UFC light-heavyweight champion Jon Jones (13-1 MMA, 7-1 UFC) injured, UFC officials now are targeting a bout between the champ's original opponent, Rashad Evans (15-1-1 MMA, 10-1-1 UFC), and replacement Phil Davis (9-0 MMA, 5-0 UFC).

Sources today confirmed with MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) the new matchup, which is expected to take place at UFC 133. The Canadian Press' Neil Davidson first reported the opponent switch.

A source told MMAjunkie.com that Jones is facing a lengthy recovery from a torn right-hand ligament suffered in his title win. A timetable for his return wasn't immediately available.

Jones' manager, Malki Kawa, declined to comment on the report.

Although not officially announced, UFC 133 is expected to take place Aug. 6 in Philadelphia. The main card is expected to air on pay-per-view.

The change of plans means another speed bump in Evans' request to reclaim the UFC's light-heavyweight title.

Evans had been in line to fight then-champ Mauricio "Shogun" Rua at UFC 128 before a knee injury forced Evans off the card. As Rua healed from his own knee injury, Evans sat out nearly a year waiting for the title shot rather than taking a non-championship bout and risking his shot at the belt. But when he lost the slot due to injury, UFC officials gave it to Jones following his early-February victory over fellow top prospect Ryan Bader at UFC 126.

Jones won the title from Rua in dominant fashion at UFC 128, which set up a meeting with Evans, a former training partner with whom he's now had a very public fallout.

But rather than Jones, Evans next will fight Davis, a former NCAA Division I national wrestling champion. Davis is 9-0 in his pro career, and the past five fights have come in the UFC. With victories over Brian Stann, Alexander Gustafsson, Rodney Wallace and Tim Boetsch, he began drawing comparisons to Jones. In this past month's UFC Fight Night 24 headliner, Davis scored one of his biggest wins yet: a hard-fought unanimous-decision victory over notable Antonio Rogerio Nogueira.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Xlami

Is it normal for it to take a month after a fight for an injury to be discovered?

Surprised Evans isn't waiting on the sidelines for his title shot. Hope Phil takes this one but I don't see him getting it to the mat and unless he dramtically improves his stand up Rashad will jab his way to a decision.

Xlami wrote: »
    Is it normal for it to take a month after a fight for an injury to be discovered?

Who siad it was only discovered after a month?

I imagine they discovered it pretty soon after the fight but were waiting to see how bad it was before the cancelled the fight. If it was minor they might of kept the figfht date

• Registered Users Posts: 11,470 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Strangely enough thats exactly what he is :pac:

Ha. Maybe politician was too generous. More like a second hand car salesman.:pac:

• Advertisement

Ush1 wrote: »
    Ha. Maybe politician was too generous. More like a second hand car salesman.:pac:
    Nope its accurate. He ran for State Senate in Oregon but had to drop out cause of money laundering :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭SDTimeout

Nope its accurate. He ran for State Senate in Oregon but had to drop out cause of money laundering :pac:

If it's Sonnen your on about. Did he not drop out due to his MMA Career ? I thought he dropped out of race before/because of the Silva fight

Think thats about the same time info about the money laundering accusations started. Different sources seem to have it as either 1 or the other

UFC returning to Liverpool in October: Link

Bisping to headline, then. Velasquez would be ace though.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,437 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

UFC returning to Liverpool in October: Link

Bisping to headline, then. Velasquez would be ace though.

That would be great if Velasquez was on the card! Unlikely though I'd say. I hope its a decent card. If it is I'll definately head over for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,931 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

I've heard time and time again if rumoured UK events, Scotland, Nottingham etc etc

Will only believe it when it's announced on UFC.COM.

No chance will the Velasquez/Dos Santos fight be in the UK though, that's got Vegas written all over it.

SDTimeout wrote: »
    If it's Sonnen your on about. Did he not drop out due to his MMA Career ? I thought he dropped out of race before/because of the Silva fight
    The was a realtor. He never actually ran for senate, but was tryign to get a nomination, or whatever the exact process is. It was the money laundering that made him ease back on it. The PEDs didn't help either.

I don't think his MMA career had anythign to do with it. He was fighting MMA long before politics, I imagine politics would of been his retirement plan

UFC President Dana White has confirmed rumors that UFC Hall of Famer Royce Gracie is pressing for a rematch with fellow Octagon legend Matt Hughes at UFC 134 in Rio de Janeiro.

“I’ll tell you straight up: [Gracie] thinks that his performance against Matt Hughes wasn’t what it could have been and thinks he can beat Matt Hughes,” White told a group of reporters following Wednesday’s UFC 129 press conference. “He wants that fight again.”

Gracie, who was present at the press conference in Toronto, was the original face of the UFC. Long before Zuffa’s buyout of the promotion, Gracie dominated the Octagon, winning three of the organization’s first four events, each of which required him to win either three or four fights in a single night.

After taking a hiatus from fighting following a 1995 draw with Ken Shamrock, Gracie returned to the ring in 2000 to compete for the now-defunct Pride Fighting Championships. The Brazilian jiu-jitsu practitioner made his Octagon return in 2006, squaring off with Hughes at UFC 60. Gracie was dominated in the bout, as Hughes used superior grappling to secure Gracie’s back and finish the fight with punches.

While Gracie’s possible retirement fight at UFC ‘Rio’ has been the subject of some controversy, White asserts that he’s still indecisive about allowing the 44-year-old back into the cage for one more go-around.

“Who am I to say?” asked White. “There’s times when I step in -- for instance, like Chuck Liddell -- and I say, ‘Chuck, I think you should retire.’ Do I think Royce Gracie [should fight again]? I don’t know. He didn’t look too damn good against Matt the first time.”

UFC 134 goes down Aug. 27 at Rio de Janeiro’s HSBC Arena and will feature a gaggle of Brazilian stars, including UFC middleweight champion Anderson Silva, who defends his strap against Yushin Okami.

http://www.sherdog.com/news/news/Gracie-Eying-Hughes-Rematch-at-UFC-134-White-Still-Undecided-31945

Matt Hughes is fighting Sanchez though so it isn't likely to work out timewise.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Oh_Noes

Matt Hughes is fighting Sanchez though so it isn't likely to work out timewise.

He is?

Sounds like a good fight. It would be a waste to have Hughes fight Gracie, Hughes is still seriously good. I really hope they don't give Royce Gracie a fight, it would just be a silly token thing and a waste of cardspace. Anyone who's active in the UFC at the moment would probably make light work of him.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement