Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General UFC Chit Chat/News

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,402 ✭✭✭Tinie

I'd have preferred if Mir had replaced joe personally.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,332 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Sweet, Brian Stann to replace Joe Rogan at 163. Look forward to hearing from him. Although, I'd rather he replaced Goldie :)
    As he's a former fighter it's makes sense that he'd be the colour commentator, which is Rogan. Goldie is the play by play commentator.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 11,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. Manager

Mellor wrote: »
    As he's a former fighter it's makes sense that he'd be the colour commentator, which is Rogan. Goldie is the play by play commentator.

I get all that, I just think Goldie is head wrecking at times and is only good for shouting "And it's all over" whenever there is a knockout.

Would love to have 2 people who are well versed in the subject (not saying Goldie isn't but he doesn't have the attention to detail like Rogan - obviously) commentate on the fights.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

Just an observation from watching ufc that fighters are going for full mount less often and when they do get it they are finishing way less or lose the position much quicker than before often themselves winding up on their back.
    Is it fighters being more causious?
    Fighters being more skilled at getting out of bad positions?
    Or am i imagining things?

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Jizzear

adamski8 wrote: »
    Just an observation from watching ufc that fighters are going for full mount less often and when they do get it they are finishing way less or lose the position much quicker than before often themselves winding up on their back.
    Is it fighters being more causious?
    Fighters being more skilled at getting out of bad positions?
    Or am i imagining things?

I think its just that alot of wrestlers are more used to side control from their wrestling days....its just up to the individual, some ppl will go to mount more than other people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,332 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I get all that, I just think Goldie is head wrecking at times and is only good for shouting "And it's all over" whenever there is a knockout.

Would love to have 2 people who are well versed in the subject (not saying Goldie isn't but he doesn't have the attention to detail like Rogan - obviously) commentate on the fights.
    But thats sort of the point. The play by play guy states the obvious. And the colour guy gives the detailed analysis, the expert opinion etc.

I'm not fully sure why its like that, but almost every sport does it that way.
    I suppose it keeps it straight forward, and prevents any conflict of opinion.

I think too experts would allow for much deeper analysis, but almost too deep for live commentary. They can do that on the pre & post fight shows.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,193 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

I like the way it is. You need a straight guy and a guy who can explain things in detail.

The straight guy is almost like your stereotypical TV presenter. He's there not as an expert but as a conduit between you (who are probably very new to the sport) and the experts and fighters.

Let's be honest, although Goldberg comes across as a bit of a dummy sometimes, he has seen more live fights than 99% of the people on this forum.. or ANY forum.

When I watch a new sport, a lot of the time it's difficult to grasp what exactly is going on because the presenters and commentators presume the viewer is already well versed.

However, the UFC set up is ideal because at no point does it fel like you're an outsider, even from the first time you watch it. You've got Goldie, the straight guy, who knows a lot more than he lets on. He asks basic questions to Rogan and Rogan spends the fight explaining to Goldberg exactly what is going on.

So when you tune in, you're being educated in the sport but you're not being spoken down to, you're learning what's going on by Rogan teaching Goldberg. I think it works perfectly and the chemistry between the two of them makes them a great team.

I don;t understand all the hate for Goldberg. He can come across as a duffus but that shouldn't be a reason for people to want to see him lose his job.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Xlami

I know he has a difficult enjoy gah job but its amazing the amount of mistakes Rogan makes. Like Pat Barry - Jordan fight he completely missed the eye poke. Also the Carwin - Lesnar fight he completely misread the situation on the ground.

That being said I have a lot of time for Rogan and would be sad to see him replaced. I think he explains situations very well. I've heard friends say that too so I think he does a very good job to attract new fans and those who don't train.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,836 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

If Mir loses against Barnett, he might think of doing it a bit more commentary maybe. Was funny when he said 'f*cking' during a WEC event but he's a good colour commentator. Would be great to have Michael Schiavello fill in from time to time.

what the hell is hamill even doing back in the ufc? I have no interest in seeing him take the sustained beatdown thaigo silva gona put on him.

• Advertisement

sheehy83 wrote: »
    If Mir loses against Barnett, he might think of doing it a bit more commentary maybe. Was funny when he said 'f*cking' during a WEC event but he's a good colour commentator. Would be great to have Michael Schiavello fill in from time to time.

Definitely, The Voice is one of the best commentators out there.

Mir is good but I can't get over the fact that he continuously called Carlos Condit "Carlos Conduct" when commentating for WEC. Is it just me who remembers that?

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Gilbert Grape

Would love to hear Bas Rutten doing it with Rogan.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Be like Nutella

everybody leave Goldie alone or I'll cry....he's MMA's version of a national treasure.

Bas is a hysterical human being, I'd watch lawn bowling if he was commentating and he would be in my 'which celebs would you go drinking with?' group along with Christopher Walken and Steven Seagal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

Jizzear wrote: »
    I think its just that alot of wrestlers are more used to side control from their wrestling days....its just up to the individual, some ppl will go to mount more than other people.

True but the earlier ufc days, mount seemed to be the holy grail and if you got it you were gonna see some face smashing, nowadays very little damage is done

• Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭weemcd

Rampage Jackson vs. Roy Jones Jr. boxing match planned for year-end PPV
    http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2013/7/25/4557416/viacom-bellator-quinton-rampage-jackson-vs-roy-jones-jr-boxing-match-ppv

Anyone see this? Rampage is gonna get schooled.

weemcd wrote: »

Holy sh*t, what a start for Bellator and Viacom.

So, first they're going to try directly compete with UFC, the idiots! Then they're going to put they're biggest asset into a lose lose situation (he gets schooled, he loses. He wins, it does nothing for him MMA wise)? Putting on freakshows under the Bellator banner?

This whole thing is a weird weird joke.

Im sure bellator will get people to buy it and im sure il probably watch it but I feel sorry if any1 falls for the enivitable prefight hype and buys it thinking it will be a competitive fight

At least their not doing any of that 1 round boxing 1 round mma bollix they try in Japan.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,836 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Anderson Silva speaks out on why he lost.

http://middleeasy.com/index.php/fighting/item/11505-anderson-silva-explains-the-technical-error-that-cost-him-his-title-against-chris-weidman-at-ufc-162
    Getting knocked out is the worst. There are always going to be questions -- people want to know what happened, but [when you’re knocked out] you don't remember anything. You black out and that's it.

It [the awkward movement] was a technical error to keep my legs parallel; I should have taken a step back instead.

Several factors led to the knockout. The tension in the air before the fight, you just want to burst ... it was a series of mistakes.

In my career, I’ve always went back to my corner [for advice]. Against Weidman, I went back to argue, and I should have gone back to my corner and calmed down. I didn't do any of that; I lost control.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,329 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

MrStuffins wrote: »
    Holy sh*t, what a start for Bellator and Viacom.

So, first they're going to try directly compete with UFC, the idiots! Then they're going to put they're biggest asset into a lose lose situation (he gets schooled, he loses. He wins, it does nothing for him MMA wise)? Putting on freakshows under the Bellator banner?

This whole thing is a weird weird joke.

Very strange...

I wonder if the UFC will respond to that? They have admitted to speaking to RJJ prior to the Silva-Weidman fight. What's the chances that they'll try to scupper the deal?

On the other hand, they should probably just let it happen. In all honesty what MMA fan would pass up Silva-Weidman II AND Rousey-Tate II in favour of a freak show boxing match between Rampage and RJJ? The only people that may tune in are boxing fans hoping to score a point in the "boxing vs MMA" debate. I can see it being a complete PPV flop.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

1st Roy wanted Steve Collins then Anderson but settles on Rampage.Roy must need the money

Actually yeah, completely forgot about Steve Collins. Obviously that fight was axed.

And rightfully so. What a shambles!

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭OrgasmicBaz

Rampage - Jones Jr
    Jardine - Collins

LOL

Somebody should have told him about Kimbo. Less dieting and more cash.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

Kimbo V Steve Collins:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,970 ✭✭✭Lenin Skynard

Any insider info on Paddy Holohan?

Either he flew into the Bermuda triangle or we're going to have a very fun next season of TUF from an Irish point of view.

Any insider info on Paddy Holohan?

Either he flew into the Bermuda triangle or we're going to have a very fun next season of TUF from an Irish point of view.

Hopefully. Although Joe Duffy had to remain tight lipped for months and he lost the fight to get into the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

Bellator are nothing short of fúcking idiots, if they try to compete with 168.

168 is going to be the second biggest paper view of the year in combat sports and is going to do at least a million PPV buys. No one will care about the freakshow that night, people will care about whether Silva can get back his title after pretty much giving it away to Weidman being stupid in the first fight.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,970 ✭✭✭Lenin Skynard

Xlami wrote: »
    Hopefully. Although Joe Duffy had to remain tight lipped for months and he lost the fight to get into the house.

He featured fairly prominently in the ad for it last night so hoping he wins his preliminary fight and goes on to the rest of the season. Can't wait to see what happens.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement