Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General UFC Chit Chat/News

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,836 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

• Registered Users Posts: 12,329 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Looks like Eddie Alvarez just saved Bellator's PPV debut, sort of.

He has settled his differences with Bellator and has a title rematch against Chandler on the undercard (wtf) of Jackson vs Tito.

I still think Bellator are on the slippery slope to extinction though.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,569 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Hard to tell if Bellator are trying to compete with the UFC or WSOF

WSOF aren't at Bellator's level IMO.

And with Bellator venturing into PPV territory I think it's clear they're trying to compete directly with the UFC.

But for a company who prided themselves on building their own stars and not accepting UFC castoffs, to headline their first PPV with 2 washed up old timers who both left the UFC on a 0-3 run is madness.

And even with Alvarez vs Chandler II, I think this PPV is destined to flop horribly. Wouldn't be surprised if the UFC counter programmed them either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭the drifter

or wwe

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,193 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

The card is now worth watching.

Is it worth buying? No!

If they continue with having Rampage v Tito in the Main Event with 2 of their biggest and best stars, and most competitive guys, in the Co-Main they are undermining the entire organisation and what they've built. They'll be gone in 2 years at this rate!

MrStuffins wrote: »
    The card is now worth watching.

Is it worth buying? No!

If they continue with having Rampage v Tito in the Main Event with 2 of their biggest and best stars, and most competitive guys, in the Co-Main they are undermining the entire organisation and what they've built. They'll be gone in 2 years at this rate!

The thing is, despite Chandler vs Alvarez being a far more worthwhile fight in terms of current ranking and ability, Tito vs Rampage is a more marketable headliner for the casual fan. And it's the casual fans they need to hook in order to make this a success in terms of PPVs.

But you're right, they are completely undermining their work so far. They are essentially saying that the best that Bellator has managed in it's history aren't good enough to headline a PPV, and 2 burned out cast offs from the UFC are more high profile than Bellator's finest.

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭stealinhorses

I think the decision to put Chandler vs Alvarez II on the same card as the gimmicky draw main event can be somewhat good. I would echo the sentiments of the panel on the latest MMA Beat, in that the casual fan who buys this to see Tito vs Rampage will get a chance to have a look at Alvarez, have a look at Chandler, maybe Curran, etc., and see that there is potential in those fighters and maybe Bellator is actually worth watching.
    However, I see an easy win for Chandler considering Alvarez's lay-off and the general nonsense of the past year, so maybe it's not the best fight to put on either.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,932 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Hoping the mods are gonna be on the ball from the weekend for a few days, this is a great forum but i can see quite a few bellends paying us a visit after Conor's fight

• Registered Users Posts: 12,437 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

scudzilla wrote: »
    Hoping the mods are gonna be on the ball from the weekend for a few days, this is a great forum but i can see quite a few bellends paying us a visit after Conor's fight
    There'll no doubt be an influx of new and casual fans. That's always the way. And it's a good thing to get new fans onboard. Hopefully there won't be many trolling types but if there is then its best to ignore them and weather the storm until it dies down. Which it will.

• Advertisement

El Guapo! wrote: »
    There'll no doubt be an influx of new and casual fans. That's always the way. And it's a good thing to get new fans onboard. Hopefully there won't be many trolling types but if there is then its best to ignore them and weather the storm until it dies down. Which it will.

Never a truer word. Once we don't rise to the bait everything will be grand. Most important thing is to encourage the genuine people who are only being exposed to the sport properly.

Most important thing is to encourage the genuine people who are only being exposed to the sport properly.

This is an important point.
    Sometimes you'll get somebody posting what may seem like nonsense, but it's only because they're new to the sport. It may seem like they're being an asshat, but they really just don't understand it fully yet.
    I'd hate for people to get discouraged from watching the sport or from posting in here just because they were shooed away instead of being educated on mma.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Jizzear

machida vs belfort rumoured! Thatd be a fun fight!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

Sometimes you'll get somebody posting what may seem like nonsense, but it's only because they're new to the sport. It may seem like they're being an asshat, but they really just don't understand it fully yet.
    I'd hate for people to get discouraged from watching the sport or from posting in here just because they were shooed away instead of being educated on mma.

Its quiet simple to get around this, we could create a thread over the next few days called on the lines of "new fans to mma".

Basically tell people about the sport, post fights they should google and watch, information about the local scene and answear questions they have etc.

What has been said is a 100% we can't isolate people who want to learn more about the sport. Mc Gregor fighting will absolutely bring attention to the sport come Saturday night and this documentary in a few months will bring more depending when it airs.

unknown13 wrote: »
    Its quiet simple to get around this, we could create a thread over the next few days called on the lines of "new fans to mma".

Basically tell people about the sport, post fights they should google and watch, information about the local scene and answear questions they have etc.

Great idea for a thread. It'd have to be a huge, detailed post though.
    You volunteering?! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,318 ✭✭✭p to the e

I am stealing this.

So somebody is making a newbie thread then? :P
    Maybe someone (not me) should make it soon and we can add in stuff and enhance it for Saturday?

Just to keep the thread on topic, here's Hendo V Pettis fight card.
    Main Card:
    Ben Henderson vs. Anthony Pettis [LW Title]
    Josh Barnett vs. Frank Mir
    Clay Guida vs. Chad Mendes
    Ben Rothwell vs. Brandon Vera
    Erik Koch vs. Dustin Poirier

FX Card:
    Gleison Tibau vs. Jamie Varner
    Tim Elliott vs. Louis Gaudinot
    Pascal Krauss vs. Hyun Gyu Lim
    Chico Camus vs. Kyung Ho Kang

Facebook Card:
    Brian Houston vs. Yoel Romero
    Nikita Krylov vs. Soa Palelei
    Ryan Couture vs. Al Iaquinta
    Magnus Cedenblad vs. Jared Hamman

Man Mir really needs a win. Will be interesting to see how barnett performs.

So somebody is making a newbie thread then? :P
    Maybe someone (not me) should make it soon and we can add in stuff and enhance it for Saturday?

If nobody else is gonna do it I'll volunteer. But it'll have to be tomorrow evening.
    And I can't promise it'll be any good!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 6,332 Mod ✭✭✭✭PerrinV2

I hope Rothwell knocks Vera the **** out!

• Advertisement

If nobody else is gonna do it I'll volunteer. But it'll have to be tomorrow evening.
    And I can't promise it'll be any good!

I will start it tonight let the regulars view it and PM me with any ideas suggestions etc. Probably get a mod to lock it anyway until I get it finished.

Anyone agree or disagree with that proposal.

It will have a FAQ section in it with paragraph intros to various things.

I will start it tonight let the regulars view it and PM me with any ideas suggestions etc. Probably get a mod to lock it anyway until I get it finished.

Anyone agree or disagree with that proposal.

It will have a FAQ section in it with paragraph intros to various things.

Sounds good to me.

PerrinV2 wrote: »
    I hope Rothwell knocks Vera the **** out!

Big time!

FAQ part will be done tonight. I will need someone to do the Local MMA part and we need to put in a series of fights that are worth a watch.

Griffin / Bonnar
    Shogun / Henderson
    Leben / Akiyama

Are few suggestions for the fights a newbie should watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,569 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Hendo V Pettis fight card

Wtf is Jared Hamman still doing in the UFC? I was convinced he was released a long time ago

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,391 ✭✭✭Scar Tissue

FAQ part will be done tonight. I will need someone to do the Local MMA part and we need to put in a series of fights that are worth a watch.

Griffin / Bonnar
    Shogun / Henderson
    Leben / Akiyama

Are few suggestions for the fights a newbie should watch.

Edgar/Maynard series
    Shogun/Vega
    Aldo/Mendes

imo!

Edgar/Maynard series
    Shogun/Vega
    Aldo/Mendes

imo!

If I can recall, Edgar / Maynard I was a snoozefest.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Jizzear

Diaz vs Daley or someother non-ufc fight to show that UFC not only organisation.

Something with some significant ground/scramble portion to it aswell, henderson-guida springs to mind but there must be loads of others!

You could throw in some anderson fight aswell, griffen probably being the best showcase and maybe one of the korean zombie fights, maybe poirer! Making fan-boys = success

• Registered Users Posts: 6,367 ✭✭✭xtal191

Korean Zombie / Leonard Garcia

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

Mac Danzig vs Matt Wiman, absolute brawl!

Chael Sonnen vs Nate Marquardt was a good fight, Sonnen was on another level in that fight.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement