Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General UFC Chit Chat/News

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,437 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

PerrinV2 wrote: »
    He says that every couple of months :pac:

My bet is its Paddys Day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭peejay1986

Anyone on here buy their tickets yet for Manchester?

Wondering which locations the £100 and £125 tickets are for. Don't want to have to try and find out at 10AM.

EDIT: Ignore that. Just found a way of seeing, by pretending I'm buying a Fight Club membership.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,332 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Joseph Duffy didn't get past the preliminary part or did he?

And Parke was fighting for the UK, McVeigh had his nationality as Scottish on the programme. Not really fair to be claiming those lads as Irish when they don't call themselves Irish.

Paddy hasn't got past the prelim round into the house yet either.
    Parke lives in Northern Ireland, so he was eligible for the UK v Aus season, why wouldn't he enter.
    Paul McVeigh didn't make it into the house, I don;t think his nationality ever came up. It mentioned "fighting out of scotland" as thats were he trains.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,193 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Joseph Duffy didn't get past the preliminary part or did he?

No but neither has Paddy.
    And Parke was fighting for the UK, McVeigh had his nationality as Scottish on the programme. Not really fair to be claiming those lads as Irish when they don't call themselves Irish.

He could've been fighting for Mozambique for all I care.

There was no "Oz v Ireland" so he couldn't have qualified unless he fought for the UK. And being from NI he could fight for the UK.

I'm pretty sure had the opportunity arose and it was "Ireland v France" he'd have applied to be part of the Ireland team.

Anyone know if there will be a code for the newsletter presale? If so, has anyone got it yet? I havent and its late so im thinking maybe you use your registered email

• Advertisement

Anyone know if there will be a code for the newsletter presale? If so, has anyone got it yet? I havent and its late so im thinking maybe you use your registered email

Code is 'Manchester'

peejay1986 wrote: »
    Code is 'Manchester'
    code never came on the newsletter, got it on their twitter. cheers though

code never came on the newsletter, got it on their twitter. cheers though

Same, never got the email.

Same thing happened last year. Didn't receive the code for about 4 or 5 hours after they went on sale. Can rely on Twitter though :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭califano

Just wondering if im one of the only ones still waiting to get paid from the 'John Ferguson - Cage Contender failure to pay fighters threads'(both deleted by the way). €157.50 im still owed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Be like Nutella

PerrinV2 wrote: »
    He says that every couple of months :pac:

WHEN Conor wins tomorrow night it'll be all but guaranteed I reckon.

• Advertisement

The UFC have apparently made a few cuts.

These guys got the chop:

Roger Gracie
    Dave Herman
    Ednaldo Oliveira
    Bristol Marunde
    John Maguire
    Vinny Magalhaes

It's about time Herman got his marching orders imo. He simply wasn't good enough.

I'm disappointed by Maguire. He started off very promising and his bjj was pretty slick. I thought he would be one to do well in the UFC.

And I'm surprised at Magalhaes being dropped so soon. I know he's 1-2, but I thought he would've been given one more fight first.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,318 ✭✭✭p to the e

Didn't Magalhaes say that if he lost to Perosh he deserved to be cut?

I'm disappointed by Maguire being cut myself. He showed some solid grappling and even though he may never enter the top ten in his division he could put away a lot of middling welter weights whilst putting on a good show. His drop to LW may not have been a good idea.

Glad Roger Gracie was cut. He was atrocious in his last fight and ultimately cost me a few squids.

El Guapo! wrote: »
    The UFC have apparently made a few cuts.

These guys got the chop:

Roger Gracie
    Dave Herman
    Ednaldo Oliveira
    Bristol Marunde
    John Maguire
    Vinny Magalhaes

It's about time Herman got his marching orders imo. He simply wasn't good enough.

I'm disappointed by Maguire. He started off very promising and his bjj was pretty slick. I thought he would be one to do well in the UFC.

And I'm surprised at Magalhaes being dropped so soon. I know he's 1-2, but I thought he would've been given one more fight first.
    tbf, it was Vinny's second run in the UFC, the lease was always going to be shorter
    His grappling is world class, but his striking is very very poor.

UFC Dublin third quarter of 2014. Nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,853 ✭✭✭ShagNastii

Might sound ludicrous but I wonder could UFC (now with McGregor) do a bigger venue than the O2?

It did sell out lighting fast last time. Is the Aviva or Croke the only venue that is a setup from the O2.

ShagNastii wrote: »
    Might sound ludicrous but I wonder could UFC (now with McGregor) do a bigger venue than the O2?

It did sell out lighting fast last time. Is the Aviva or Croke the only venue that is a setup from the O2.

The O2 is the latest indoor venue, so yeah you'd be looking at the Aviva next. Which is asking a bit much imo.

What sort of capacity would the O2 achieve with UFC type layout, with floor seating etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,853 ✭✭✭ShagNastii

Just under 9500 if I'm correct.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭the_doctor199

Mellor wrote: »
    The O2 is the latest indoor venue, so yeah you'd be looking at the Aviva next. Which is asking a bit much imo.

What sort of capacity would the O2 achieve with UFC type layout, with floor seating etc.

It did 9,369 last time. That's a fairly small show for the UFC these days.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,402 ✭✭✭Tinie

It did 9,369 last time. That's a fairly small show for the UFC these days.

Has it not been expanded since then?

The most obvious thing is to check what the WWE shows attendance is in the O2 as they have a very similar layout to UFC.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Magpie87

I've heard some mention the RDS...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,836 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

A lot of people calling out sonnen on twitter. Vitor really wants a piece.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,858 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

sheehy83 wrote: »
    A lot of people calling out sonnen on twitter. Vitor really wants a piece.

give him wandy please
    jones silva and vitor are three who will put
    chael away everytime
    I want to see chael defend that belt many times

• Registered Users Posts: 11,932 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Tinie wrote: »
    Has it not been expanded since then?

The most obvious thing is to check what the WWE shows attendance is in the O2 as they have a very similar layout to UFC.

No, it's not been expanded in any way
    Magpie87 wrote: »
    I've heard some mention the RDS...

Not a chance, when they come back it'll be The O2, capacity is touching 10,000 and will sell out in a day, especially if, as i expect, Conor will headline against a Top Contendor.

10k is quite high for a Euro Card, i think only Manchester and London will beat it, they've had cards at Belfast, Newcastle, Nottingham & Birmingham, all between 6-9k

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Be like Nutella

Lots of great Sonnen match ups at 205 barring Jones.

Glover and Machida would finish him but everyone else is fair game if you ask me.
    I'd give Vitor an edge but would be a fair match up. He could beat Evans and Dan (who's over the hill) I reckon. Davis would be a really great match up!

Rumors of Rory v Lawlor !! I hope it happens and I hope Lawlor decapitates him with one of those overhands of his.

http://www.mmaweekly.com/ufc-plans-rory-macdonald-vs-robbie-lawler-fight-but-no-date-or-location-yet

• Registered Users Posts: 39 JojoD51

Would love to see Chris Fields and Owen Roddy get on that card.

scudzilla wrote: »
    Not a chance, when they come back it'll be The O2, capacity is touching 10,000 and will sell out in a day, especially if, as i expect, Conor will headline against a Top Contendor.

10k is quite high for a Euro Card, i think only Manchester and London will beat it, they've had cards at Belfast, Newcastle, Nottingham & Birmingham, all between 6-9k
    Belfast was a long time ago. As was Newcastle. Birmingham was 11k. Nottingham was a fuel card. The normal event definitely rose to 20k-ish since then. Recent UK cards have been 15 or 16k. Swedish were slightly higher.

But its since dropped back down. In the last 10 events, there's been 4 that were below 10k. Fuel/Fox/Finale cards etc. So one of those evens would fit well in the O2.
    That said, if Conor continues to be a draw with the Americans, it could well be marketed as a PPV. In which case it would be a numbered event. Diaz v Conduit was 9k, Edgar v Aldo was 10k. So its not unheard on. The result means a better card for us.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,329 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

http://www.mmajunkie.com/news/2013/08/ufc-boss-uriah-hall-not-a-fighter-tuf-17-finalists-next-move-uncertain

Dana read my mind. All that is pretty much what I said yesterday while watching the fight. Mentally weak. And I honestly think that Adam Whatsisface fight is still playing on his mind. That savage KO, his opponent gasping on the ground with his eyes rolled back etc. The feeling that he could have seriously hurt someone is stopping him from pulling the trigger.

^^
    If that is the reason why Hall has been sub-par since his stint on TUF, then it's a real shame. He has the potential to be a monster.
    I hope he can talk to a sports psychologist or something and get his head straight and come back to form.
    From the sounds of things, I'd say he'll be cut over the next few days.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 11,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. Manager

El Guapo! wrote: »
    ^^
    If that is the reason why Hall has been sub-par since his stint on TUF, then it's a real shame. He has the potential to be a monster.
    I hope he can talk to a sports psychologist or something and get his head straight and come back to form.
    From the sounds of things, I'd say he'll be cut over the next few days.

It's possible Dana will give him one more shot. He sees real potential in the lad - and he's right too. The guy was a monster in the house. OK, he beat a bunch of nobodies but he beat them all in devastating fashion.

Hopefully he can get his head right and get one last shot at it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,836 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

John Kavanagh doing an interview with Sherdog. He says he'd like to see Conor fight Brandao in December.

http://m.sherdog.com/videos/videointerview/Coach-Speak-Conor-McGreggors-Trainer-on-UFC-Fight-Night-26-Performance-5033

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement