Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General UFC Chit Chat/News

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,437 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

unknown13 wrote: »
    Do people realise that there is the same topic about Chris Fields being discussed in two separate active threads.

Yep. The topic popped up in here first last night. It just kinda worked its way into the other thread too.

It's probably gonna be a long discussion so maybe it's best not to be in here though. Might be better to keep this to UFC news.

Maybe if a mod is around, they can edit the title of the Pendred thread to include Chris Fields?

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Xlami

Just on Ben Askren. I don't see why he can't bet GSP. He walks out of every fight looking like he's just played a game of tennis with his little brother.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Be like Nutella

yeah fair enough his conditioning is top drawer and his ability to wrestle top 30-50 guys is unquestionable but as was said before it really is another kettle of fish shooting at top 10 UFC welterweights who can really punish you with strikes if you lay and prey.

I don't think he has nearly the skill-set required to get inside GSP adequately and then stay there long enough to do sufficient damage. You can get him down once or twice maybe and duff him up but you won't finish him while you're there and once it's back on the feet again his stand up tactics make you work so hard to repeat the process you just get punished too much with jabs and kicks.

Jake Shields landed strikes to GSP on the ground in only 1 round out of 5 and lost to unanimous decision. He landed plenty on his feet but nothing worth writing home.

and Josh Koscheck landed a total of 2 ground strikes in his effort and as we know got busted up bad on the feet.

Askren would make a good match with a few of them though, I'd be interested to see how he does once the contract is sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭themandan6611

Xlami wrote: »
    Just on Ben Askren. I don't see why he can't bet GSP. He walks out of every fight looking like he's just played a game of tennis with his little brother.

it wouldn't surprise me if he did, normally the fighters I dislike win. :-) he îs a fantastic wrestler though

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 11,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. Manager

So everyone's buzzing about tonights card, yea??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,836 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Hope Condit takes it, *should* be a class fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 ttankk

Good preview done here by the former Mixed Martial Arts Review podcast, they are now with Setanta have had some really good guests so far on their podcast, your man Enda McNulty is very interesting.

https://soundcloud.com/setantammashow/psychological-warfare

• Registered Users Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭califano

ttankk wrote: »
    Good preview done here by the former Mixed Martial Arts Review podcast, they are now with Setanta have had some really good guests so far on their podcast, your man Enda McNulty is very interesting.

https://soundcloud.com/setantammashow/psychological-warfare

That 2m10s intro is so long it would do your head in. Should be 20s max imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,193 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

califano wrote: »
    That 2m10s intro is so long it would do your head in. Should be 20s max imo.

Yeah I gave up about a minute in and switched the podcast off.

Why the hell is it so long?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭califano

Yeah me too i tried to stick it out the other day and knocked it off but today just for lols i wanted to see just how long it actually was. Goes to show you only have a few seconds to make an impression and to keep a listener so such a long intro like this i think your going to needlessly lose too much listeners.
    There were sound issues too. The music is x3 louder than the announcers voices and one line if much lower than the other line(i take it both parties are on the phone or a skype type deal).

I dont really listen to podcasts but i listened on through the whole ufc segment and i thought the 2 lads were quite good actually and it moved along.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 Mixed Martial Arts Review

Yeah me too i tried to stick it out the other day and knocked it off but today just for lols i wanted to see just how long it actually was. Goes to show you only have a few seconds to make an impression and to keep a listener so such a long intro like this i think your going to needlessly lose too much listeners.
    There were sound issues too. The music is x3 louder than the announcers voices and one line if much lower than the other line(i take it both parties are on the phone or a skype type deal).

I dont really listen to podcasts but i listened on through the whole ufc segment and i thought the 2 lads were quite good actually and it moved along.

Hey lads, thanks for the feedback, believe it or not I actually inserted the wrong intro last night (for Setanta I had cut one down to 40seconds - the other one we used to use was longer for promotional reasons starting out) - the sound issues are due to a new studio we are using that is only meant for one presenter but we will be rectifying that shortly!

califano and stuffins try stick with us while we get through the kinks of the new setup...in return I will have a feature interview podcast with Carlos Condit later in the week for you (we want to keep some big ones as timeless interviews)

Thanks again for the feedback lads,

Kindest Regards,

Mark

Rumour of Phil Davis vs. Chael Sonnen - I hate this match up tbh. It doesn't really make sense. Phil Davis is on a bit of a streak at the moment. Slick sub of Wagner Prado, seriously improved and impressive boxing against Magalhães and a UD win over Lyoto.

As much as I don't like the guy I think if he wins his next fight he should get a shot. A fight between him and Texeira next would be great and the winner of that gets #1 spot (providing Belfort loses).

Just to add to this, I don't think Texeira should get a shot if he beats Bader.

Rumour of Phil Davis vs. Chael Sonnen - I hate this match up tbh. It doesn't really make sense. Phil Davis is on a bit of a streak at the moment. Slick sub of Wagner Prado, seriously improved and impressive boxing against Magalhães and a UD win over Lyoto.

As much as I don't like the guy I think if he wins his next fight he should get a shot. A fight between him and Texeira next would be great and the winner of that gets #1 spot (providing Belfort loses).

Just to add to this, I don't think Texeira should get a shot if he beats Bader.

Forget that, what happened to your name?!! :eek:

El Guapo! wrote: »
    Forget that, what happened to your name?!! :eek:

Ha. I've been getting this a lot today. It appears I've let quite a few people down. Sorry :(

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Magpie87

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

Sweet jesus if this kick landed.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,858 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

kongo fone off to bellator and about time Im sure some would say
    He did well to stay with the ufc as long as he did
    They made him an offer and it wasnt good enough it seems

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

I remember yaers ago Rogan was meant to fight wesly snipes for a chairty event or something and i think there was bad blood there

• Registered Users Posts: 11,932 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

mailburner wrote: »
    kongo fone off to bellator and about time Im sure some would say
    He did well to stay with the ufc as long as he did
    They made him an offer and it wasnt good enough it seems

Kongo was such a boring fighter, with his physique and skills he should have been one of the most exciting fighters ever in the HW division, like you, i'm surprised he lasted as long as he did

• Registered Users Posts: 23,858 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

scudzilla wrote: »
    Kongo was such a boring fighter, with his physique and skills he should have been one of the most exciting fighters ever in the HW division, like you, i'm surprised he lasted as long as he did

When he beat crocop I thought this guy was going places
    cost me a packet when herring sat on him for the entire third
    round next up to win a decision

When I followed he lost when I went against he won
    nelson putting him away was the one exception

Another ufc cast off for bellator

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

Kongo was not as boring as people made him out to be. He was just going no where in the division and in the past few years. He was KO'ed by the top level fighters. Mir absolutely destroyed him.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,402 ✭✭✭Tinie

This is too good, doesn't seem to be a thread for MMA funnies so thought id stick it in here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭Dtp79

Just wondering if im one of the only ones still waiting to get paid from the 'John Ferguson - Cage Contender failure to pay fighters threads'(both deleted by the way). €157.50 im still owed.

Why were they deleted?

Sean Sherk has officially announced his retirement. He hasn't fought since 2010 anyway but he made it official today.

http://m.bleacherreport.com/articles/1759303-former-ufc-champion-sean-sherk-announces-his-retirement-from-mma

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

Sean Sherk has officially announced his retirement. He hasn't fought since 2010 anyway but he made it official today.

http://m.bleacherreport.com/articles/1759303-former-ufc-champion-sean-sherk-announces-his-retirement-from-mma

He was a serious contender for one of the most underrated fighters ever in MMA. Look who he lost to. He was a quality fighter.

unknown13 wrote: »
    He was a serious contender for one of the most underrated fighters ever in MMA. Look who he lost to. He was a quality fighter.

Couldn't agree more. He has a fantastic record and has only lost to champs.
    Seriously underrated fighter and I'm not sure why.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Couldn't agree more. He has a fantastic record and has only lost to champs.
    Seriously underrated fighter and I'm not sure why.

Style mainly. I always liked him. Strong as an ox and great heart. Then he decided he was a boxer even though he has arms like a t-rex :/

• Registered Users Posts: 11,932 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Didn't he fail a piss test at some point? Met him at Newcastle, he was staying in same hotel as us, seemed a nice enough guy

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

scudzilla wrote: »
    Didn't he fail a piss test at some point? Met him at Newcastle, he was staying in same hotel as us, seemed a nice enough guy

Twice I think

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭weemcd

Outside Cain JDS and DC vs Country there are no real Heavyweight fights signed at all.

Anyone want to play match maker and make a few matchups for fun?

I'll start with Mark Hunt vs Overeem II & Bigfoot Silva vs Travis Browne II. Browne gains serious momentum with another win

Also when do you think we will hear about the next HW bouts, before the October card for the belt?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement