Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General UFC Chit Chat/News

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,396 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Xlami wrote: »
    Last three TUF's in a row haven't had the main event go ahead as planned. It's becomming a curse.

Koscheck Vs Gsp?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,931 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Last three TUF's in a row haven't had the main event go ahead as planned. It's becomming a curse.
    Turtyturd wrote: »
    Koscheck Vs Gsp?

Exactly, that didn't go as planned as Kos was apparently gonna own GSP on the ground :rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Xlami

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Koscheck Vs Gsp?

Apologies my mistake. 3/4 for the fights UFC try to promote for 3months still very unfortunate.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,322 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

scudzilla wrote: »
    yeah, can see him retiring, sooner or later UFC will get a bit pissed and end his contract. They can't keep promoting him for illnesses to flare up.
    Hmm, don't know about that.
    He makes a ton of money for them when he fights. Even this time, the fact that it was supposed to be lesnar this time will mean more guys will tune in than if it was always JDS v carwin

Hope he is back all he same

• Registered Users Posts: 12,325 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

I dodged a bullet about two years ago with diverticulitis, at that time not knowing what the problem was, diverticulitis is an illness that never goes away. It's something that I've dealt with since my first occurrence and have been battling with it. It's just something that's in your colon for the rest of your life, and I've been able to maintain it to the point that it's tolerable. I was able to go through two training camps -- Shane Carwin and Cain Velasquez -- and made it through those camps without having a bout or any symptoms.

It didn't allow me to train to my full capabilities. I was forced to make a decision to go back down to the doctor this week to figure out how far this thing is along, it does is it drains my entire body down. Basically, you've got an infection in your stomach and all my resources went to fight this problem instead of rebuilding what I tore down in the gym."

I will tell you one thing, I'm not retiring. This isn't the end of my fight career. This is something that I believe, and I have strong faith, that there's a solution to every problem. I just have to find a solution to fix this problem. I love this sport and I love what I do. This isn't the end of Brock Lesnar. This is a speed bump in the road.

I reckon he'll have the surgery.

• Advertisement

Some funny shit

Tito vs Matt Mitrione at last weekends UFC Fighters seminar in Vegas, arguing over wearing sunglasses indoors

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Evil_Clown

Some funny shit

Tito vs Matt Mitrione at last weekends UFC Fighters seminar in Vegas, arguing over wearing sunglasses indoors

There might be a bit more to this i'd say, Mitrione is always slagging Tito and Jenna on his Mitrione minute section of the MMA hour (which is usually pretty funny) someone must have shown Tito

• Registered Users Posts: 19,193 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Am I the only one who can't hear a f*cking thing being said in that video?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,437 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

MrStuffins wrote: »
    Am I the only one who can't hear a f*cking thing being said in that video?

I kept waiting for the music to stop so I could hear them!

http://www.cagepotato.com/tito-ortiz-isnt-impressed-with-matt-mitriones-jokes/

This link allegedly explains the whole confrontation.

• Advertisement

According to Bones' manager's twitter he's not having surgery and is looking for a new opponent (not Rashad)
    Malki Kawa wrote:
    I guess its time to put out the truth. @Jonnybones suffered a tear in his thumb in 2 different spots… Every dr he saw said to have surgery. We went to meet with the surgeon on wed and after he looked at @Jonnybones he thought that surgery was a bit [invasive] and bones didn’t have To have if he didn’t want to. @Jonnybones decided against surgery, and we immediately met with dana and lorenzo the next day to get his next fight scheduled.

For the record, every doctor @Jonnybones saw was a @ufc referred doctor. The very last one on the day before surgery thought against it…And to be quite frank, @Johnnybones never wanted to have surgery, the doctors advice all along was to have the procedure done. No @Jonnybones is not fighting rashad. Rashad is fighting phil davis. I’ll let you know who or when jon will fight real soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭ScareGilly

According to Bones' manager's twitter he's not having surgery and is looking for a new opponent (not Rashad)

Seems like a bit of a scummy move tbh... This news only comes after Rashad's been matched up with another fighter? :confused:

Brendan Schaub v Big Nog confirmed for Rio.
    The UFC 134 fight card has added a high-profile heavyweight battle, Dana White confirmed today. The 8-1 Brendan "The Hybrid" Schaub and former Pride and UFC champion Minotauro Nogueria have verbally agreed to the August 27 bout in Rio.

Schaub is coming off a UFC 128 knockout of the night performance against another Pride legend, Mirko Cro Cop. The summer bout will be Nogueira's first return to the Octagon in 18 months after an injury took him out of his planned headlining bout last October.

http://uk.ufc.com/news/ufc-134-rio-fight-card-updates

Can't see Schaub losing this one tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭SDTimeout

BJ Penn has just challenged Jake Shields on twitter. Shields is up for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,193 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

SDTimeout wrote: »
    BJ Penn has just challenged Jake Shields on twitter. Shields is up for it.

Shields: "Even better, let's make it the first 5 round non-title fight

Penn: "If that makes you more confident, sure"

Awesome. But i'm not sure if Shields is a tad scared and sees his only way to win as grinding him down over 5 rounds and BJ becoming tired.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,830 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

But i'm not sure if Shields is a tad scared and sees his only way to win as grinding him down over 5 rounds and BJ becoming tired.

This exactly! Another borefest in the making.

I'm not a big fan of BJ but wouldn't mind seeing him finish the fight early and lick Shields blood off his hands! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 11,470 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Shields: "Even better, let's make it the first 5 round non-title fight

Penn: "If that makes you more confident, sure"

Awesome. But i'm not sure if Shields is a tad scared and sees his only way to win as grinding him down over 5 rounds and BJ becoming tired.

Yep, BJ vs Fitch all over again.

Bj won't want a 5 round fight, he is saying yeah why not as he knows it won't happen.
    Is Shields looking for an edge, maybe, but why the hell not. It's about time they used 5 round fights for championship level (how long has it been in the rule now)

It's actually a fight I'd like to see, BJ to push the pace

This is probably gonna be a snooze-fest of a fight but I'll be rooting for BJ.
    I think he'll prob retire if he loses to shields. He already said he was considering retirement earlier this year and I think a loss to Shields would be the nail in the coffin so to speak.

The California State Athletic Commission today reversed a decision to treat Chael Sonnen's indefinite suspension as a license revocation, which clears the way for the onetime middleweight contender to apply for a fight license in the state after his suspension runs its course on June 29 of this year.

On Thursday, CSAC Executive Director George Dodd told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) that California Code of Regulations Title 4 Rule 399 was used as justification by CSAC legal advisers for classifying the suspension as a revocation.

Today, however, the CSAC announced there were errors made in the interpretation of that rule.

"Upon reviewing the May 18, 2011 decision of the commission, an error in the applicability of Rule 399 was made," stated a release issued today by the commission. "The rule states that, 'Any applicant who has been denied an application for a license may not file a similar application until one year from the date of the last previous denial by the commission. Any application filed within the one year period may be denied without the necessity of a hearing. Anyone who has had his license revoked may not petition for reinstatement or apply for a new license until one year after the date of such revocation. Any petition for reinstatement filed within the one year period may be denied without the necessity of a hearing.'

"Since the commission did not revoke or deny Mr. Sonnen's license, the rule does not apply."

The release noted that Sonnen will need to appear before the commission once again should he decide to apply for a license in California.

"If the commission denies his application, Mr. Sonnen will have to wait one year from the date of the denial," the release stated.

On Wednesday, the CSAC voted 4-1 to uphold an indefinite suspension of Sonnen issued in late April. The commission cited inconsistencies in his testimony during a December appeal of a one-year suspension he was issued for elevated levels of testosterone following UFC 117. (The suspension was reduced to six months.) Sonnen's recent conviction on one federal charge of money laundering was also cited as a reason for the indefinite suspension.

On Thursday Dodd said that Sonnen was not eligible to apply for a license in California until May 18, 2012, or one year from the date that CSAC upheld the indefinite suspension, as per the commission's rules on license revocations.

Until June 29, Sonnen's name will remain on a registry that tracks fighters' medical and administrative suspensions. It is unknown at the time of this writing whether a note will be placed on the registry after the suspension expires that asks commissions in other states to call the CSAC in the event that the fighter applies for a license there.

At Wednesday's hearing, Sonnen's legal representatives begged the CSAC to end the fighter's current suspension on June 5, the final date in which he'd be eligible to gain a second's license in Nevada to coach on "The Ultimate Fighter 14." Sonnen told the commission that he had been offered a coaching spot opposite Michael Bisping on the reality show with a No. 1 contender's bout waiting afterward. The request was declined.

Nevada State Athletic Commission Keith Kizer said on Thursday that a second's license is out of the question before Sonnen's current suspension ends, though the restrictions will be lifted after June 29.

"My understanding is that he's free to apply for either license after June 29," Kizer said. "However, he will have to appear before the commission on those applications. Before that date, we have to honor the California suspensions."

LINK : http://mmajunkie.com/news/23676/csac-changes-mind-ufcs-chael-sonnen-free-to-apply-for-license-after-june-29.mma

Hmmmmmm, I reckon some arm twisting was in play here, nicely gonna set up a Sonnen/Bisping TUF

• Advertisement

Hmmmmmm, I reckon some arm twisting was in play here, nicely gonna set up a Sonnen/Bisping TUF

How was there arm twisting? They didn't change anything and refused his plea to let him apply early.

California have decided to treat the decision of indefinite suspension as exactly that suspension and not as having had his lic. revoked. Which means he can apply again after he serves his 6 months (june 29) and not in may 2012. Which is right, the may 2011 didn't revoke his lic. They didn't do him any favours here???

So he can apply again June 29th, but this is too late to be a coach. (didn't know he needed one to be a coach)
    So i imagine the next season gets delayed by a month to sort this out.

Mellor wrote: »
    How was there arm twisting? They didn't change anything and refused his plea to let him apply early.

California have decided to treat the decision of indefinite suspension as exactly that suspension and not as having had his lic. revoked. Which means he can apply again after he serves his 6 months (june 29) and not in may 2012. Which is right, the may 2011 didn't revoke his lic. They didn't do him any favours here???

So he can apply again June 29th, but this is too late to be a coach. (didn't know he needed one to be a coach)
    So i imagine the next season gets delayed by a month to sort this out.

Maybe they were the wrong words to use, but i'm pretty sure that Zuffa will try and influence the decision to allow him his license back in June, a Sonnen/Bisping coached TUF is the only one i can see, 2 total clowns who just don't think before they speak

Yeah, I'm sure Zuffa will support the application, I'd love those two as coaches. Plenty of trash talk potential, illegal knee, spitting, convicted felon, balls don't work properly etc

I just meant as it stands nothing's changed re Sonen's licence. If he is refused in June in Calif he can't apply for a year. Wonder if he'll avoid them and try get back fighting via Nevada. Prob better option

Mellor wrote: »
    Yeah, I'm sure Zuffa will support the application, I'd love those two as coaches. Plenty of trash talk potential, illegal knee, spitting, convicted felon, balls don't work properly etc

I just meant as it stands nothing's changed re Sonen's licence. If he is refused in June in Calif he can't apply for a year. Wonder if he'll avoid them and try get back fighting via Nevada. Prob better option

Dunno if i'm right here but i thought that if he was declined a license in Cali then NSAC follow suit and won't allow him a license.

Like if somebody's licensed was revoked in Cali for drugs, they could just go to NSAC and get one

Anyone excited about BAMMA tonight? Really think John Phillips will retire Trigg.

Anyone excited about BAMMA tonight? Really think John Phillips will retire Trigg.

Guys like Trigg NEVER retire ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭ScareGilly

Ush1 wrote: »
    Yep, BJ vs Fitch all over again.

Am I the only one who thought that was an exciting fight? :confused:

On a side note... Free Chael Sonnen! The best Middleweight in the world :rolleyes:

:D

Haha really got that one wrong. He looked great fair play to him.

• Advertisement

Dunno if i'm right here but i thought that if he was declined a license in Cali then NSAC follow suit and won't allow him a license.

Like if somebody's licensed was revoked in Cali for drugs, they could just go to NSAC and get one
    Most likely but that's not what I was talkign about.

He can apply anywhere at the end of june.
    It might be a better option for him to apply to NSAC first and leave CSAC until a later date.
    He doesn't need a cali lic yet, so why take the risk of being declined

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement