Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General UFC Chit Chat/News

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭RainMaker

scudzilla wrote: »
    Would love to see a Veterans class in UFC, fighters that are just a little passed a title run but one's that people would still love to see fight, imagine the names ya could have, Chuck, Tito, Randy, Wandy etc

I am still hoping for Rickson V Sakuraba :)

I was actually thinking about a "masters" division or something there recently myself, wouldn't mind seeing Chuck, Randy or Wandy in there... I have no desire to see Tito fight again really though, thought his last fight with Griffin was pretty terrible really. He did ok for first round, then just gassed. Might tune in to Tito V Rampage if it ever happens, just for novelty value/curiosity though really.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Be like Nutella

Part of me would love it but..
    There's a reason they're not top tier any more... they probably lost a few times to devastating Knockouts - last thing you want is to throw them in to get hit again at the age of 40 for another few years of head shots. The exceptions like Hendo (couple years back) and Randy at 43,44 are just that - exceptions. Starting a whole class of vets is not clever but it would however make a lot of money.

It raises the whole subject of what is the UFC for? In my mind it has to be about going for the belt - whether you're good enough or not - that has to be the intention. IMO there's too many events involving too many fighters who will never challenge. Fighting for 12k in interest fights we want to see but - for them - earning sh1t money to get sporadically beaten down by the top tier means a long career of pain and knockouts... better off in another organization. Or worse than that enticing older higher profile vets to come back for a few fights in their 40's for huge money which makes them trade off their health... not good IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭LaHaine

Ariel Helwani - BREAKING: B.J. Penn & Frankie Edgar will coach the 19th season of TUF + then fight each other in a FEATHERWEIGHT bout next April #ufctonight

War Frankie

• Registered Users Posts: 12,330 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

LaHaine wrote: »
    Ariel Helwani - BREAKING: B.J. Penn & Frankie Edgar will coach the 19th season of TUF + then fight each other in a FEATHERWEIGHT bout next April #ufctonight

War Frankie

Is this for real???

BJ is going to cut to FW?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭LaHaine

DrPhilG wrote: »
    Is this for real???

It appears so. Helwani tweeting about it direct from Dana .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,276 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

LaHaine wrote: »

War Frankie

Wow like the sound of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,332 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Is this for real???

Despite his success at 170, BJ was never a welterweight. He had a phenomenal run at 155. And is truly one of the best lightweights ever (along with Frankie imo). But looking at the sport today, somebody of BJs build doesn't belongs with the likes of Maynard and Henderson and would be better off with the 45ers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭Dtp79

Didn't he used to struggle to make 155?

• Registered Users Posts: 39,332 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Dtp79 wrote: »
    Didn't he used to struggle to make 155?

No, not physically anyway. He disliked the pageantry of cutting, it goes against his "just scrap" mantra. But I don't the dislike had anything to do with a struggle to make 155.

At WW he weighed in at 167/168. From there a cut to LW is easy enough, add in the the fact that he was always a bit "soft" at WW and an in shape BJ makes LW easily, 145 becomes achievable.

Mellor wrote: »
    No, not physically anyway. He disliked the pageantry of cutting, it goes against his "just scrap" mantra. But I don't the dislike had anything to do with a struggle to make 155.

At WW he weighed in at 167/168. From there along LW is was enough, add the the fact that he was always a bit "soft" at WW and an in shape BJ makes LW easily, and 145 becomes achievable.

Ah ye I guess so

• Advertisement

can't believe he fought Machida to a decision at 205 lb and will fight at 145 next year.... Christian Bale of MMA

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

Edgar will destroy him.

no way in hell Edgar can finish BJ which makes me think BJ will finish him with strikes even though he's 34 and has only won 3 fights in 5 years and is way way past being over the hill, outdated and irrelevant in terms of challenging. BJ had his time and is a relic now.

Penn is too strong for Edgar and has finished tough 170ers with punches and knees - no way Edgar can withstand on onslaught by BJ. Edgar's only chance at standing with Penn is to run away for 2 whole rounds at least to attempt to tire him out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,970 ✭✭✭Lenin Skynard

I hope Penn surprises everyone and comes back in shape and back to his best. Edgar was always a bad style matchup for BJ so I think it will go like the other two fights but there's an awful lot more exciting fights at the lighter weight classes for BJ if he's back to his normal self.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,437 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

no way in hell Edgar can finish BJ which makes me think BJ will finish him with strikes even though he's 34 and has only won 3 fights in 5 years and is way way past being over the hill, outdated and irrelevant in terms of challenging. BJ had his time and is a relic now.

Penn is too strong for Edgar and has finished tough 170ers with punches and knees - no way Edgar can withstand on onslaught by BJ. Edgar's only chance at standing with Penn is to run away for 2 whole rounds at least to attempt to tire him out.

Edgar's only chance is running away?
    Seriously?? He beat him twice!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭Easy Rod

El Guapo! wrote: »
    Edgar's only chance is running away?
    Seriously?? He beat him twice!

By running away for 5 rounds! :pac:

My man love for BJ is strong.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,932 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Conor vs BJ in Dublin next year, that could seriously headline a card, one of the UFC's greatest prospects vs a legend

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 11,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. Manager

Conor vs BJ in Dublin next year, that could seriously headline a card, one of the UFC's greatest prospects vs a legend

Not sure why you would want that fight - especially if he loses to Edgar. Conor is on the up and up and BJ should have retired.

I get the whole headline part of it but personally I'd rather see McGregor fight someone of some notable value to the featherweight division and not some has-been.

Not sure why you would want that fight - especially if he loses to Edgar. Conor is on the up and up and BJ should have retired.

I get the whole headline part of it but personally I'd rather see McGregor fight someone of some notable value to the featherweight division and not some has-been.

Not saying i'd want it, but it sorta makes sense from a UFC point of view, would be VERY marketable and past it or not, BJ would be a HUGE scalp

• Registered Users Posts: 23,858 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

I can only assume you didn't see their first two fights?

would only be more comfortable for edgar third time round surely

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Jizzear

bj has an insane knack of gettin people to believe hel do it though! hell by the end of tuf il be convinced this is a new bj who was only messing around the 1st 2 times but this time is for real ha!

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Jizzear

they should have made it a co-main so itd be 3 rounds and atleast bj would have a shot!

Bj may start his diet tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

BJ wont make weight for the fight. This fight absolutely sucks, get Frankie shouldn't be doing TUF, get him out more. There is still great fights for Edgar at FW and the UFC shouldn't be stalling his career with TUF and a fight like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭stealinhorses

It was supposed to be Edgar vs Faber for TUF coaches, but Dana didn't like the idea of a catchweight fight, as the two couldn't agree to a weight...

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭OrgasmicBaz

Just going through some of the bouts on the cards in the next month or so

Fabio Maldonado - Joey Beltran set for UFC Fight Night Oct 9th.... Thats going to be a crazy fight

• Registered Users Posts: 12,330 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

TJ Grant still hasn't been cleared following his concussion and has been pulled from his title fight against Pettis.

Josh Thompson has got the shot. He's ranked 7th, but pretty much everyone above him is booked.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭OrgasmicBaz

Josh Thompson has got the shot. He's ranked 7th, but pretty much everyone above him is booked.

Thats an absolute joke

Thats an absolute joke

Why's that then, he's ranked 7 and everyone above him is injured/booked, makes perfect sense, and sends a message to other top 10 fighters in other divisions that ya never know when a shot will come

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

Why's that then, he's ranked 7 and everyone above him is injured/booked, makes perfect sense, and sends a message to other top 10 fighters in other divisions that ya never know when a shot will come

Why would that be a good message?!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement