Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General UFC Chit Chat/News

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,332 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

DrPhilG wrote: »
    Josh Thompson has got the shot. He's ranked 7th, but pretty much everyone above him is booked.

He is ranked 5th not 7th.
    Above him in spots 1-4 are Henderson, Melandez, Grant and Maynard.
    Bendo and Melandez both recent lost title fights. Grant isn't cleared and Maynard is booked for a Diaz rubber match.
    The only options was Thompson or pull Maynard. I think either option was fine. Calling it an absolute joke is a bit much imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭OrgasmicBaz

Been ranked 5th does not grant you a title shot, im sure he could of easily pulled Melendez from his bout. If you look at the effort Pettis even put in for getting that title shot, and he only got put in when Grant was injured! I think its a bit disrespectful to the other fighters in the top 10

Rafael Dos Anjos is more deserving IMO

Been ranked 5th does not grant you a title shot, im sure he could of easily pulled Melendez from his bout. If you look at the effort Pettis even put in for getting that title shot, and he only got put in when Grant was injured! I think its a bit disrespectful to the other fighters in the top 10

Rafael Dos Anjos is more deserving IMO
    Melandez's last fight was a titleshot. Another crack at it would have been stupid.
    Pettis had dropped to featherweight, and wasnt chasing the LW belt. Thats why he "only" got it after Grant was injured. Dos Anjos us 6th I think, probably next in line after Thompson.

Who in the top 10 is it disrespectful to???
    The only person with any sort if claim ahead of Thompson would be Maynard.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,470 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Mellor wrote: »
    Melandez's last fight was a titleshot. Another crack at it would have been stupid.
    Pettis had dropped to featherweight, and wasnt chasing the LW belt. Thats why he "only" got it after Grant was injured. Dos Anjos us 6th I think, probably next in line after Thompson.

Who in the top 10 is it disrespectful to???
    The only person with any sort if claim ahead of Thompson would be Maynard.

Coming off a loss. Thompson is the right choice.

The fact that he has only one fight since coming back into UFC and been propelled to #5 in the rankings? I think its ridiculous how he is ranked so high

Fair enough if he had of went on a 2-3 fight win streak but he was giving the shot far too early

I understand the circumstances with injuries and so on but they could of postponed or found a more worthy opponent that Thomson

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,858 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

thomson makes perfect sense to me especially ahead of maynard

most definitely a worthy opponent imo and one of the best out there
    theres nothing between himself and gilbert to be fair
    I would have thomson ahead of grant anyday in a match up

dos anjos the only other one worth considering in the top ten

dont think fighters coming off a loss should be getting a shot ruling
    out melendez maynard bendo

I think he'll give pettis as good a fight as anyone above him but I
    do think pettis is just that bit better than all of them
    I thought pettis would destroy grant so im happy enough
    I dont have to watch that one

The fact that he has only one fight since coming back into UFC and been propelled to #5 in the rankings? I think its ridiculous how he is ranked so high

How does number of fights in the UFC affect rankings? It's based on ability, not service to the company. The logic in your last few posts are been crazy.
    Melandez came straight in at 2nd or 3rd without even fighting, and rightly so. Happens all the time when big names sign for the UFC.
    I understand the circumstances with injuries and so on but they could of postponed or found a more worthy opponent that Thomson
    The only person more worthy that TJ Grant. Thomson is the legitimate next in line.
    TBH it sounds like you latched on to the idea that he was 7th and the 6 guys ahead of him were all booked. If that were the case it would a bit silly, but that statement has been shown to be completely false.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Xlami

It just seems cheap given the division. Look at how tough it was for Frankie and Gray to get their shots. Then, for a while we had guys on 5+ fight win streaks not getting close to a shot G-Sot, Jim Miller, Clay, Siver, Guilard and Cerone. I think it's just a matter of right place right time for Thompson. That being said he's a very good fighter but would be utterly surprised if he does the biz.

Xlami wrote: »
    It just seems cheap given the division. Look at how tough it was for Frankie and Gray to get their shots. Then, for a while we had guys on 5+ fight win streaks not getting close to a shot G-Sot, Jim Miller, Clay, Siver, Guilard and Cerone.
    All those guys had good runs at the same time. They contributed to the 155's rep of being the most competitive, however at this point that's not the case and their form has waivered.

Grant, Thompson, Maynard, and Dos Anjos sort if sneaked into to top spots, but the fact remains, that they each got the right wins at the right time to climb the ranks. All looks fair and square.

All those guys had good runs at the same time. They contributed to the 155's rep of being the most competitive, however at this point that's not the case and their form has waivered.

Grant, Thompson, Maynard, and Dos Anjos sort if sneaked into to top spots, but the fact remains, that they each got the right wins at the right time to climb the ranks. All looks fair and square.

I agree with you. While Thompson is the most deserving at this moment in time it just seems cheap given the history of the division. Just goes to show title shots are often heavily dependent on timing and luck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22 ttankk

Was great chat from fighters only editor on (1:01:09), who discusses whether Anderson Silva is still the ‘GOAT’ and the nature of MMA superfights.

was really interesting to listen to well worth. Got to support an Irish podcast especially when its good

http://soundcloud.com/setantammashow

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭Johnny Drama_11

Condit v Brown at Fox 9.

http://uk.ufc.com/news/FOX-Gets-Condit-Brown-in-December

Should be a great match up, the last quarter of this year will see some great fights.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭rain on

That UFC on Fox 9 card is just ... OMG OMG OMG.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 pbee

Poirier announced against Brandao for 168. Great Matchup!!!

Dana wouldnt put Conor in there with Poirier yet and Diego is a similar age and experience level and he had no problem putting him in.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

rain on wrote: »
    That UFC on Fox 9 card is just ... OMG OMG OMG.

The card is absolutely sick. Brown / Condit & Faber / Mc Donald could headline a card on their own.

Dana lied again, there was no way Faber / Mc Donald was not going to happen in Sacremento when a card in Sacremento was scheduled. He should have been upfront about TUF.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 11,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. Manager

Chris Leben has tweeted that he's fighting at UFC 168 against Uriah Hall.

Marching orders for the loser.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Chris Leben has tweeted that he's fighting at UFC 168 against Uriah Hall.

Marching orders for the loser.

Interesting fight

• Registered Users Posts: 12,437 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

pbee wrote: »

Dana wouldnt put Conor in there with Poirier yet and Diego is a similar age and experience level and he had no problem putting him in.

Diego has had 5 fights in the UFC though. Of course he'd be put in ahead of Conor.

pbee wrote: »

I've no idea what you mean by the second part.
    Diegos has had 5 UFC fights, winning 4. He steamed through a competitive season on TUF, all first round finished IIRC. (Random fact: The first winner at each weight has always went on to fight for a title)

Plain and simple, Diego is ranked higher than Conor. I also like a fight between them in the future. He's at the right level for Conor to step up to, but at the same time, there's absolutely nothing wrong with Diego stepping up to Poirier's level.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,330 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Uriah Hall on his way out then...

Leben is a tough nut to put down and he's not going to be into all the high fives and hugs crap, not til the fight ends anyway.

He won't give any respect to Hall's past KOs.

• Advertisement

DrPhilG wrote: »
    Uriah Hall on his way out then...

Leben is a tough nut to put down and he's not going to be into all the high fives and hugs crap, not til the fight ends anyway.

He won't give any respect to Hall's past KOs.

Leben is also a broken fighter and a broken man.

Leben is also a broken fighter and a broken man.

+1 to this.

Leben is like BJ in the sense that everyone always says "he's in great shape, he's clean living, his head is in the right place, his training is spot and he's ready to take his career to the next level"

cue fight night, he gases in the 2nd and gets beat up for the remaining 7 minutes.

The dude needs to retire.

Leben-Hall fight of th year. Heard it here first.

I think it'll be a snooze fest. As I said above, Leben is past his sell by date - a long time ago - and will gas early.

It has potential to be a good fight, as people said loser more than likely will get the boot

Hope Hall brings his A game, he has some serious knock out power and Leben is, well Leben.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Be like Nutella

Jones looked so small at weigh in tonight and he'll be so big in the cage I don't know how he does it. He'll put on 20 lbs between now and tomorrow night. Mental. Gust looks the more drained between them - harder weight cut for him I'd say. 5-1 underdog I heard.. somethin like that. Can't wait.

Jones TKO first round...knees then strikes on the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,437 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

I said on here over a year ago that I thought Gustaffson might have the tools to beat Jones if he got a few more fights under his belt and improved a bit.
    But now that the time has come, I don't think he has improved to a level to get the win. Of course he clearly has a chance, but I think it might be a slim one.
    Jones by tko for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Hank Schrader

The Staredowns

BUoocJXCcAAiJgX.jpg:large

Just read on twitter Rodney Moore and Alex Reid are set to fight. That'll be a good one between the two old guards. Hope Rodney puts a beating on him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Joe24

Doesn't look like they are going to go straight to a Jones Gustafsson re-match. Report here says Glover Teixeira is getting the next shot.

http://www.mmajunkie.com/news/2013/09/report-jon-jones-vs-glover-teixeira-set-for-super-bowl-weekend

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement