Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General UFC Chit Chat/News

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭Easy Rod

Joe24 wrote: »
    Doesn't look like they are going to go straight to a Jones Gustafsson re-match. Report here says Glover Teixeira is getting the next shot.

http://www.mmajunkie.com/news/2013/09/report-jon-jones-vs-glover-teixeira-set-for-super-bowl-weekend

Well i'm pissed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Be like Nutella

they promised him the shot and it makes business sense.... but yeah we all want a rematch ASAP but won't happen now til July next year at least. Wonder who Gust will fight in the mean time... has to be a Davis rematch

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 11,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. Manager

I'm glad Glover is getting a shot tbh. He's going to get wrestled down and then take a whopper ground n pound but would love to see him land one of those concrete blocks he calls fists.

Jones can cruise this one from the outside and use elbows to damage. Glover should prey that Jones is determined to show he can finish anyone after the Gust fight and risk full take downs or a stand up war which gives him his small chance at KO or neck sub. Otherwise he won't reach Jones.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,193 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

I've seen nothing from Glover to suggest he will beat Jones.

I'd love to see a Gus rematch! It has to be the only option. The first fight got so much attention!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 11,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. Manager

MrStuffins wrote: »
    I've seen nothing from Glover to suggest he will beat Jones.

I'd love to see a Gus rematch! It has to be the only option. The first fight got so much attention!

Me and my brother were chatting about how bad he's going to lose. Prior to the Gus/Jones fight I would have had a small bet on Glover but now, I think Jones will set out to prove a point and provide Cain v Bigfoot eque beating.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Joe24

they promised him the shot and it makes business sense.... but yeah we all want a rematch ASAP but won't happen now til July next year at least. Wonder who Gust will fight in the mean time... has to be a Davis rematch

Would like to see this next for Gustafsson as well, or if that can't happen given that they are training partners, maybe Cormier if he drops down after the Nelson fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Xlami

Front Row Brian had a great tweet earlier that I really agreed with saying nothing is sure in MMA. If either Jones or Gustaffsson losses their next bout the UFC have missed a potentially huge rematch.

re davis
    I know they train together... and they're mates from what I've seen... maybe they won't fight each other. I don't know how mates can fight each other without it making a huge difference tbh. I couldn't full-on knee a mate in the face and then hammer fist his brains out til a ref tackled me.

I don't give Glover much of a chance. Jones wasn't made look bad by gust - Gust made himself look great !

• Registered Users Posts: 12,330 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

For those getting their UFC hit via BT Sports, they seem to have kicked it up a notch.

BT are now showing TUF live (as in at the same time as the US) and in what replays. They are also showing;

Beyond the Octagon - weekly chat show, appearances and technique/training segments with UK fighters. Beware, Gareth A Davis is usually on there...

Ultimate Insider - US show hosted by Jon Anik. Last episode had an interview with Barnett.

UFC Unleashed - Classic fights. This is the kind of show that hooked the Bravo generation initially. Great move getting it on BT.

There is also an extra show with rugby player and "Beyond the Octagon" regular James Haskell. Haven't seen it yet, I think it's a fairly recent addition.

Great to see BT making the effort that ESPN never did.

• Advertisement

Really enjoying Beyond the Octagon, despite Gareth A. Davis (who actually hosted last week for some reason. The nice blonde lady must've rang in sick because he was shocking).

I think they've really hit the nail on the head by trying to appeal to current fans but also those watching for the first time. It's not perfect and it gets my goat when they keep referring to MMA a a sport as "UFC", but they're doing a good job IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,437 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

I just read that Yushin Okami has been released by the UFC.
    I did not see that coming at all.

Middleweight contender Yushin Okami, a staple of Zuffa's top-10 rankings for years, received his release from the UFC on Friday.

Promotion officials confirmed the news to MMAFighting.com.

Okami (29-8), the UFC's No. 6 ranked middleweight at the time of his release, departs on the heels of a brutal first-round TKO loss to former Strikeforce champion Ronaldo "Jacare" Souza in early September. The loss snapped a three-fight win streak, which included momentum killing victories over Alan Belcher and Hector Lombard.

Dubbed "the best fighter to ever come out of Japan" by UFC President Dana White, Okami competed inside the Octagon for seven years, compiling a 13-5 record within the Zuffa fold.

After winning 10 of his first 12 UFC contests, Okami's career peaked in 2011 with a opportunity to challenge then UFC middleweight champion Anderson Silva. Headlining the UFC's first event held in Brazil since 1998, Okami lost to Silva via second-round TKO.

Still just 32 years old, Okami exits the UFC having only stumbled against Silva, Souza, Chael Sonnen, Rich Franklin and Tim Boetsch. He holds notable victories over Mark Munoz, Nate Marquardt, Mike Swick, Evan Tanner, Belcher (x2) and Lombard.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭peejay1986

Bisping out of UFC Fight Night 30 in Manchester. Eye injury - rumoured to be related to his surgery. Replaced with Lyoto Machida.

http://espn.go.com/mma/story/_/id/9733728/lyoto-machida-replaces-michael-bisping-ufc-fight-night-30-main-event-bout

Even though I'm not his biggest fan, I feel for Bisping. Did a lot to hype this fight/event. Excited about seeing Machida though.

peejay1986 wrote: »
    Bisping out of UFC Fight Night 30 in Manchester. Eye injury - rumoured to be related to his surgery. Replaced with Lyoto Machida.

http://espn.go.com/mma/story/_/id/9733728/lyoto-machida-replaces-michael-bisping-ufc-fight-night-30-main-event-bout

Even though I'm not his biggest fan, I feel for Bisping. Did a lot to hype this fight/event. Excited about seeing Machida though.

Might sound hateful, but I'm short on sympathy. He mocked Alan Belcher for quitting in their fight due to an eye injury, despite Belcher having spent over a year out following a brutal eye complaint. Insinuated that Belcher could have continued but was "looking for a way out".

Okami going is a shocker.

Got to be money related. No other reason.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

DrPhilG wrote: »
    Okami going is a shocker.

Got to be money related. No other reason.

Your forgetting his fight style!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

Might sound hateful, but I'm short on sympathy. He mocked Alan Belcher for quitting in their fight due to an eye injury, despite Belcher having spent over a year out following a brutal eye complaint. Insinuated that Belcher could have continued but was "looking for a way out".

Typical bisping, **** I was looking forward to him getting put to sleep again

• Registered Users Posts: 23,858 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

wonderful news that imo

Now I won't have to watch kennedy fight machida in the fight for
    the troops card

• Registered Users Posts: 11,932 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Exactly, now off to twitter i go, gonna troll me a Bisping

• Registered Users Posts: 12,437 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

scudzilla wrote: »
    Exactly, now off to twitter i go, gonna troll me a Bisping

Has he not blocked you yet?!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,932 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

El Guapo! wrote: »
    Has he not blocked you yet?!!

Nah, that was Dampage :pac:

dave1982 wrote: »

Dana better be careful. He wouldn't want Ken to beat him into a living death!

wandy sonnen had to be separated at some expo larry pepe has footage waiting for him to upload

• Registered Users Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

dave1982 wrote: »
    wandy sonnen had to be separated at some expo larry pepe has footage waiting for him to upload

Like putting petrol and a match in the same room

nothing much really but here it is, happened in last few minutes

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭loremolis

^^^^^
    Video quality is terrible.
    What kind of phone has that guy got?
    A Nokia 3310?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,735 ✭✭✭ASOT

Wandy is a moron

ALL HAIL KING CHAEL!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

"I'm a professional" ..... That's why he posts a video like a traveller on YouTube saying he's gonna bate the head off ya

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement