Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General UFC Chit Chat/News

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,764 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Not exactly UFC related but the Sunday Junkie on mmajunkie.com has been wound up, did anyone else here ever read it? I'll miss it, but it wasn't the same since when they changed the website a few months ago

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

I always read it but i read nearly every article on it. Not liked the new app design or that fowlkes guy tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,193 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Did they give a reason why it was being wound up?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,764 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

MrStuffins wrote: »
    Did they give a reason why it was being wound up?
    However, with the number of submissions slowly declining over the past couple years, and with traffic to The Sunday Junkie also petering out, it was time to put the feature to rest and explore other opportunities. Soon, we'll new ways for MMAjunkie.com readers to be heard and to share their opinions, so stay tuned for those announcements.

The number of comments dropped dramatically after they changed the comments section unfortunately

• Registered Users Posts: 12,437 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

Looks like Bispings eye injury is pretty serious.

Taken from mmafighting.com....
    Back in May, doctors discovered that, astonishingly, Bisping competed in consecutive fights against Vitor Belfort and Alan Belcher with a detached retina in his right eye. While his peripheral vision had degraded severely, by then Bisping had already passed his annual UFC mandated eye exam, so the injury slipped by unnoticed.

"I was fearing the worst," Bisping said. "I was fearing that they would say a detached retina, and possibly a career ending injury. So the stubborn old fool inside of me said, ‘I'll do it later, I'll do it later.' When the injury regressed to where I literally couldn't see my hand in front of my face, that's when I thought, okay, that is enough."

Bisping underwent surgery later that month at the Retina Institute of California to repair his damaged eye.

For a time afterward, everything seemed fine. He went to follow-up appointments. Doctors cleared him to train, then cleared him to spar. Before long, Bisping was knee-deep in a training camp at Erik Paulson's CSW gym.

But then it all came rushing back.

"It was last Tuesday. Everything was fine, and then I walked into the cage to do some wrestling drills. When I walked in, the light kind of went a little strange. That's when I first noticed something," Bisping recalled.

"After that, I had to go to L.A. to do some work with Jon Anik and Mark Munoz on Inside the Octagon. We were filming a thing obviously to promote the fight. So I drove out there, and progressively throughout the day the eye was getting worse and worse. I remember I did the interview with Jon Anik and Mark Munoz, and I could hardly see anything."

By the time Bisping drove home, his right eye had been reduced to a "very thin slit of vision." He immediately called the Retina Institute of California.

"They said, ‘Yep, your retina is re-detached,'" Bisping explained. "Obviously I couldn't believe it. They said we need to operate ASAP. And I said, ‘Well I'm still fighting in four weeks, so you can't operate. Simple as that.' They said, 'You can't do that. You'll go blind.' I said, ‘I've got to fight in four weeks. Thousands of people have bought tickets, they're expecting me there.'"

Finally, at Bisping's insistence, doctors elected to take an alternative route.

A scleral buckle is a thin silicon band used to treat patients with detached retinas. The band wraps around the injured eyeball, essentially holding it in place. Surgeons implanted Bisping's scleral buckle during the fighter's initial surgery in May, along with an adhesive gel that they later removed.

Doctors surmised that they would be able to temporarily repair Bisping's eye by re-performing the surgery to attach the retina, then re-injecting the gel they had, in hindsight, taken out too soon. If successful, Bisping would regain portions of his vision and be free to fight in Manchester, albeit far from 100-percent.

However, Bisping's reality was not so simple.

During the second surgery, surgeons discovered an influx of scar tissue that had developed around the damaged retina. As a result, they were not only forced to cut away the scar tissue, but remove a piece of Bisping's retina as well.

When Bisping awoke from under the knife, he learned the situation was far more dire than first expected. Best case scenario, it'd be at least three months before Bisping could even begin to think about exercising. Worse case, his career might be over.

The next morning, Bisping received a call from UFC President Dana White.

"He said, ‘Yeah, you're not fighting in Manchester,'" Bisping explained.

"I was devastated. Then he said, ‘You've got a ways to go if you're ever going to fight again.' Then I was just completely in shock. This is who I am. This is what I do. It defines who I am as a person."

Luckily, doctors have since been encouraged by what they've seen from Bisping's recovery.

It's a welcome relief for the Brit, especially in light of an incident that took place over this past weekend when Bisping was in attendance for a local GLORY event.

"I was having a good time, and then all of a sudden, my vision just completely went in my right eye," Bisping said. "It's (usually) very blurry, but this time it completely went. I kind of got concerned. I called it a night and drove home, and as I drove home it just got worse and worse. When I got home, I was pretty much blind in my right eye. My girlfriend, when she looked at me, she almost started crying, she said, because my eye had filled up with blood. The iris, the colored part, was no longer blue. It was all red.

"I thought, that's it. Fight career over. This and that, I'm blind in my eye."

On the advice of doctors, Bisping slept face down Saturday night. When he awoke, most of the blood had drained out of his suddenly blue again eye -- just another lesson about the fragility of his current state.

Now, under an exercise embargo for the foreseeable future, Bisping is confined to slow mountain hikes intertwined between frustrating days of inactivity. Nonetheless, the 34-year-old vows to clear this hurdle and come back stronger in 2014.

"To everyone involved in the fight, I whole heartedly apologize," Bisping said in closing.

I know he's not well liked in this forum but I'd hate to see his career ended by the injury.
    Hopefully he recovers quickly and gets back to fighting soon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,276 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

God that sounds scary.

Hope he makes a full recovery.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,569 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Some of his antics have annoyed me, but I've never really disliked the guy that much. I've always imagined a fight with Silva would be entertaining. Hopefully he recovers soon.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 11,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. Manager

I'll refer back to this - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=80818353&postcount=81
    I like Michael Bisping

....sorry :o

Hope for a speedy recovery and would love to see him challenge for the belt for packing it all in.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

Karmas a b1tch

• Registered Users Posts: 39,332 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

dave1982 wrote: »
    Karmas a b1tch
    I know Bisping tends to split people in a love him it hate him kinda way, but I don't think anyone deserves something like that to happen.

Also it's kinda ironic and a bit stupid tbh, to talk about karma while at the same time taking delight in his misfortune.

• Advertisement

Mellor wrote: »
    I know Bisping tends to split people in a love him it hate him kinda way, but I don't think anyone deserves something like that to happen.

Also it's kinda ironic and a bit stupid tbh, to talk about karma while at the same time taking delight in his misfortune.

Bisping said stuff about Belcher over his eye injury. Said some thing like Belcher gave up when he got poked in the eye during their fight that he could have continued he didn't want to.

Now Bisping is out and unable to fight for a injury similar to the one he said Belcher could have fought on with

Bisping showed complete disrespect after the fight.

Bisping said stuff about Belcher over his eye injury. Said some thing like Belcher gave up when he got poked in the eye during their fight that he could have continued he didn't want to.

Now Bisping is out and unable to fight for a injury similar to the one he said Belcher could have fought on with
    Not really. But don't let the truth get in the way of a good story.

Bisping is currently out with a reoccurring detached retina. (ironically one he received in the fight with Belcher)
    In their fight, Belcher received a scrape to his eyelid, no injury to the actual eye. The injuries aren't remotely similar. In hindsight, the injury was minor and wasn't fight stopping.

However, Belcher had a detached retina to that eye back in 2010. So obviously, he's probably cautious with injures to the area. If he thought it had happened again he was right to stop, but on the other hand maybe he knew it wasn't serious and that the fight was already lost (he was down 30-27). Nobody knows, only Belcher tbh.

FWIW, what Bisping said was;
    "I wanted to finish him, That's what I really wanted to do. I landed some big, heavy right hands and he led on the floor a little bit maybe. Who knows, I think maybe he looked for a way out."

Ben Rothwell has been suspended by the UFC for 9 months due to elevated testosterone.
    According to Rothwell, he was given a TRT exemption but his test levels still came back elevated.
    He's taken it on the chin though and hasn't tried to worm his way out of it.

Here's his statement:
    "Following my victory at UFC 164 I was informed I tested for an elevated level of testosterone. This came as a shock because I had applied for and was granted a TRT exemption and was doing so under the supervision of a doctor. I was tested every week for eight weeks prior to the fight and was well under the acceptable level each time.

I had applied for TRT after an endocrinologist and Wisconsin athletic doctors diagnosed me with hypogonadism. They felt it was caused by a car crash in 1999 that left me with severe head trauma and in a coma. Doctors told me TRT was something that could stop the hypogonadism from degrading my body.

After getting the news of the elevated test, I spoke with the Wisconsin Athletic Commission and they decided to give me an administrative warning. I was told they didn't think I tried to cheat, but felt some punishment was necessary.

I have now been informed the UFC has elected to suspend me for nine months. I am not going to fight the suspension as I feel ultimately it is my responsibility to make sure I stay under the acceptable limit. I am deeply sorry for this mistake and apologize to my fans, family and friends."
    LINK

He was given a TUE, so not breaking any rules by injecting. But he is bound by the conditional limit. Without knowing the numbers involve its hard to have an opinion.

If he was over the T/E ratio, it means nothing.
    If he was over on total test levels, by more than 20%, then I say he was chancing it (or injected very close to the test, which is foolish)

Riddle is out of retirement, fighting in nov and admits he is a tosspot

• Registered Users Posts: 17,569 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

adamski8 wrote: »
    Riddle is out of retirement, fighting in nov and admits he is a tosspot

Source?

Trust me, I believe you. I just want to read more.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,318 ✭✭✭p to the e

El Guapo! wrote: »
    Ben Rothwell has been suspended by the UFC for 9 months due to elevated testosterone.
    According to Rothwell, he was given a TRT exemption but his test levels still came back elevated.
    He's taken it on the chin though and hasn't tried to worm his way out of it.

Here's his statement:

LINK

Wow so it was the UFC that suspended him as Wisconsin has no rules regarding TRT infringement. Seems the bout won't be overturned either. I wonder will this have any bearing on the decision to cut Vera or not.

p to the e wrote: »
    Wow so it was the UFC that suspended him as Wisconsin has no rules regarding TRT infringement. Seems the bout won't be overturned either. I wonder will this have any bearing on the decision to cut Vera or not.

Yeah, it seems like the fair thing to do by the UFC. At least they're enforcing a blanket ruling so that the fighters don't get away with a slap on the wrist.
    Vera has been saved by this before but it's always hard to tell what the UFC are thinking.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Xlami

Alessio Sakara needs an opponent for fight in Manchester. Cathal Pendred has put his name forward. Can't see why not.

• Advertisement

Depends on whether they want him for TUF I suppose. Unless he's already been knocked back?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Tubbs4

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭SRFC

Barboza is a future champion,that is all.

Okami gone to WSOF

Link

Rumors of Diaz V Bisping on twitter:D

Rumors of Diaz V Bisping on twitter:D

Isn't Bisping out for a while with a torn retina or something and isn't Diaz retired???

Either way, I'd love to see Bisping retire Diaz for good.

That would be a really fun fight! Imagine the trash talk!

MrStuffins wrote: »
    That would be a really fun fight! Imagine the trash talk!

Didnt everyone say that about sonnen and bisping and it didnt happen

Anyone seen the Frank Shamrock documentary, Spike produced so I reckon Dana will be get battering on it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭califano

Yeah seen it. Danas name didnt come up but there was a piece about his exit from ufc. It was just a 40min docu charting Franks life journey in and out of the octagon moving along quickly. 63% family 37% fighting. Pretty interesting.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement