Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General UFC Chit Chat/News

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

adamski8 wrote: »
    Didnt everyone say that about sonnen and bisping and it didnt happen

because Bisping took the fight on ten days notice.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,193 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

• Registered Users Posts: 39,332 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

MrStuffins wrote: »

Weird article. Or at least weird to suggest he was cut because of his last fight. He wasn't even announced as part of this years line up yet. And the article says that they still want him in it. :confused:

There's still one last spot in his division, I'd be pretty sure they'd give it to him if they can get through to Palhares in the next 24 hours. Realistically, he would of been the favourite to win the 88kg div and right or wrong his bad sportsmanship is a draw for the event.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,330 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Sonnen and Wanderlei are coaching TUF Brazil 3!?!

All of Brazil hates Sonnen. His team will hate him. Huge ratings wasted too IMO. They should be coaching a main US TUF.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,932 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

DrPhilG wrote: »
    Sonnen and Wanderlei are coaching TUF Brazil 3!?!

All of Brazil hates Sonnen. His team will hate him. Huge ratings wasted too IMO. They should be coaching a main US TUF.

or even better, a U.S vs Brazil

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭crybaby

US vs Brazil would make a lot more sense and would be cracking entertainment

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Tatsuya Kawajiri after signing with the UFC

• Registered Users Posts: 12,437 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

The Korean Zombie is pissed off again, and I think he has every right to be.
    He's complaining about the fact that Rousey was allowed to wear a rising sun flag in an episode of TUF.
    It happened recently with GSP walking to the octagon wearing the same flag.
    Someone at the UFC really dropped the ball here especially since they're trying to push the sport more in Asia.
    Here's the letter the Zombie sent to Dana White:
    Hi, Korean Zombie here. I'm delivering this message on behalf of over 800,000 members of combative sport café, one of the biggest MMA blogs in Korea. We have decided to take the time to speak up for what we know is right, because we do believe this is something that UFC management should absolutely be aware of. Let's get straight to the point.

It's about 'Rising Sun Flag' outfits. And our point is that this design is the symbol of war crimes, and that every single item designed after this symbol of war crimes should be kicked out of the UFC, firstly for justice, and then for the company.

...Let bygones be bygones? Get over it? Unjustified invasion, torture, massacre, military and sexual slavery, medical experiments on living prisoners of war and many other war crimes scarred too many people. It can never be forgotten. This is a tragic history for all of us. Furthermore, the Japanese government never gave a sincere apology, and is even trying to justify and distort their dirty, nasty history. Still to this day, so many victims are dying in pain, heartbroken, without being properly compensated

...I was happy because I thought we have succeeded in educating a chunk of the world on a very important issue, and that we no longer have to see that symbol of war crimes, at least around the Octagon. But a few days later, another UFC champion and the symbol of WMMA, Ronda Rousey was seen in that 'Rising Sun Flag' outfit. Two UFC champions wearing the symbol of war crimes! Don't you think this will be an awful example for our company, which actually does a lot of charity stuff for troops as well?

This sport, mixed martial arts, is growing very fast. And on the top of everything is the UFC. It's been crossing borders with great ease. The event was a great success in Europe, Australia and Brazil, and now it's time for Asia. As a fighter, I'm really excited and happy to see the sport growing, but I don't even want to imagine UFC fighters in those outfits, especially in Asia. A lot of furious, heartbroken people will boycott the UFC, leading to a loss of a lot of (potential) fans, which will end up leaving a very bad impression on the Asian market. I mean, can you imagine our fighters in Nazi outfits in Europe? For us Asians, it's nothing different.

What do you all think?
    A ridiculously insensitive oversight by the UFC and Rousey? Or an overreaction by the Zombie?

El Guapo! wrote: »
    The Korean Zombie is pissed off again, and I think he has every right to be.
    He's complaining about the fact that Rousey was allowed to wear a rising sun flag in an episode of TUF.
    It happened recently with GSP walking to the octagon wearing the same flag.
    Someone at the UFC really dropped the ball here especially since they're trying to push the sport more in Asia.
    Here's the letter the Zombie sent to Dana White:

What do you all think?
    A ridiculously insensitive oversight by the UFC and Rousey? Or an overreaction by the Zombie?

Not an overreaction at all, imagine if somebody started wearing a Swastika on TUF or on there walk in shirt? I think it's just ignorance on the part of Rousey, she thinks it looks pretty and makes her look like a warrior

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 11,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. Manager

scudzilla wrote: »
    Not an overreaction at all, imagine if somebody started wearing a Swastika on TUF or on there walk in shirt? I think it's just ignorance on the part of Rousey, she thinks it looks pretty and makes her look like a warrior

Bit harsh here, no? Not defending her but the idea of the whole thing. Without going to the internet I'd bet that not a lot of people know anything about this...

When growing up I skated for the best part of 10 years, one of my decks (that I actually bought twice) was this -

muska_red.jpg?40

Does this mean that I'm ignorant too? Maybe she should have known better as one of her fellow sportsman/colleagues had already lodged an official complaint but it's obviously just an oversight and not an intentional pro Japan piece of clothing.

• Advertisement

Bit harsh here, no? Not defending her but the idea of the whole thing. Without going to the internet I'd bet that not a lot of people know anything about this...

When growing up I skated for the best part of 10 years, one of my decks (that I actually bought twice) was this -

muska_red.jpg?40

Does this mean that I'm ignorant too? Maybe she should have known better as one of her fellow sportsman/colleagues had already lodged an official complaint but it's obviously just an oversight and not an intentional pro Japan piece of clothing.

But i'm sure you didn't skate on a worldwide tv show watched by a billion trillion people (ok, have no idea on viewing figures so i did a guess)

The fact is, even if Rousey was totally unaware of the meaning of the flag, the producers of the show and the UFC should have known better considering the fact that there was already controversy about it a few months ago.

But i'm sure you didn't skate on a worldwide tv show watched by a billion trillion people (ok, have no idea on viewing figures so i did a guess)

Obviously we both know I didn't but I did compete (in front of press/media) and not once was anything said to me.
    El Guapo! wrote: »
    The fact is, even if Rousey was totally unaware of the meaning of the flag, the producers of the show and the UFC should have known better considering the fact that there was already controversy about it a few months ago.

My point is though that no one would know the meaning of it. No one would know what the flag symbolizes to some people. It's like saying that someone draping themselves in a UDA flag or something is terrible and Americans expected to know what it means?

My point is though that no one would know the meaning of it. No one would know what the flag symbolizes to some people. It's like saying that someone draping themselves in a UDA flag or something is terrible and Americans expected to know what it means?

But the fact is, millions of people DO know what it means. The whole of Asia knows what it means. And millions of people the world over understand it.

The average person might not have a clue, and Rousey might not have a clue. But the UFC do, and they should have known better.

After all my praise for BT Sports and their coverage of the UFC, they have dropped a clanger. The first UK based event of their coverage and they have screwed it up.

No prelims, they're available via the online application only, something Setanta customers can't access.

The event itself also drops from BT Sports 1 to BT Sports 2. Not that big a deal, at least we can still watch, but it's a strange decision anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Xlami

After all my praise for BT Sports and their coverage of the UFC, they have dropped a clanger. The first UK based event of their coverage and they have screwed it up.

No prelims, they're available via the online application only, something Setanta customers can't access.

The event itself also drops from BT Sports 1 to BT Sports 2. Not that big a deal, at least we can still watch, but it's a strange decision anyway.

Wow I'm shocked to hear this. Are all prelims not avail on Facebook? I imagine the early start isn't ideal for their regular weekends of French football.

Xlami wrote: »
    Wow I'm shocked to hear this. Are all prelims not avail on Facebook? I imagine the early start isn't ideal for their regular weekends of French football.

I've read that it's apparently not their fault, because it's illegal to broadcast combat Sports before 5pm. Not sure if that's true though.

I've read that it's apparently not their fault, because it's illegal to broadcast combat Sports before 5pm. Not sure if that's true though.

What time does the card start?? 4.30? That's only missing 1 bout if thats the case

• Registered Users Posts: 23,858 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

What time does the card start?? 4.30? That's only missing 1 bout if thats the case

5.15 according to junkie

• Registered Users Posts: 23,858 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

UFC Fight Night 30 takes place Saturday at Phones 4u Arena in Manchester, England. The event kicks off with six prelims on MMAjunkie.com (as well as Facebook and Youtube) at 12:15 p.m. ET (9:15 a.m. PT), followed by the six-fight main card at 3 p.m. ET on FOX Sports 2. The early start time accounts for the time difference, where the first fight is slated for 5:15 p.m. BST

http://www.mmajunkie.com/news/2013/10/ufc-fight-night-30-start-times-fight-card-tv-info-and-media-and-fan-events

• Advertisement

BT Sports is free this weekend...

http://sport.bt.com/watchnow/programmes/Open-October-S11363841724478

EDIT - not sure if this is for UK only.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

BT Sports is free this weekend...

http://sport.bt.com/watchnow/programmes/Open-October-S11363841724478

EDIT - not sure if this is for UK only.

Free in Ireland too.

Bellator's inaugural pay-per-view has been hit by the injury bug.

Tito Ortiz suffered a neck injury in training which will keep him out of next weekend's fight against Quinton Jackson, according to sources with knowledge of the situation.

Bellator is currently seeking a replacement for Ortiz, and it is unclear at this time whether Jackson will remain on the Nov. 2 card. There is a chance next weekend's pay-per-view card turns into a free Spike TV card with Jackson being moved to another event.

MMAFighting.com reached out to both Jackson and Ortiz and their respective camps, but they could not be reached for a comment. Ortiz did send out an ominous tweet Friday morning.
    Bellator 106 is currently slated to take place at the Long Beach Arena in Long Beach, Calif.

http://www.mmafighting.com/2013/10/25/5029204/tito-ortiz-injured-out-of-bellator-pay-per-view-fight-against-rampage

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,764 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Bellator's inaugural pay-per-view has been hit by the injury bug.

Tito Ortiz suffered a neck injury in training which will keep him out of next weekend's fight against Quinton Jackson, according to sources with knowledge of the situation.

Bellator is currently seeking a replacement for Ortiz, and it is unclear at this time whether Jackson will remain on the Nov. 2 card. There is a chance next weekend's pay-per-view card turns into a free Spike TV card with Jackson being moved to another event.

MMAFighting.com reached out to both Jackson and Ortiz and their respective camps, but they could not be reached for a comment. Ortiz did send out an ominous tweet Friday morning.
    Bellator 106 is currently slated to take place at the Long Beach Arena in Long Beach, Calif.

http://www.mmafighting.com/2013/10/25/5029204/tito-ortiz-injured-out-of-bellator-pay-per-view-fight-against-rampage

By UFC standards its still a PPV quality card imo, just because of their promotion of it they will probably have to give it away for free though.. I hope the irony is not lost on Rebney

Gustaffson v. Little Nog headlining in London on March 8th.

Anyone here reckon they'll head over? I'm looking at flights from Malta and it's pretty cheap (€100).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Be like Nutella

not a good match up... can't see little log having any success anywhere in this fight.

37 year old lion against top challenger by far.

His name and his crappy win against suga makes it seem credible but it should be mr wonderful or mousasi in reality...

Davis doesn't want to fight Gusto again now that they're mates?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭rain on

Gustaffson v. Little Nog headlining in London on March 8th.

Anyone here reckon they'll head over? I'm looking at flights from Malta and it's pretty cheap (€100).

Yeah I think I might if I can round up a few lads to go with me. Flights are pretty cheap from here too
    little log

Tee hee :)
    Davis doesn't want to fight Gusto again now that they're mates?

They've said they won't fight unless it's for a title.

The UFC were never going to put Gustaffson up against someone who's a real threat to him in his next fight in fairness.. they want the Jones rematch to happen (don't we all?)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Be like Nutella

ahem my mistake

yeah true... that rematch is going to be the most watched fight of next year

Davis couldn't beat Jones anyway... or gusto, now, either

• Registered Users Posts: 19,193 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

So allegedly Mayhem was giving sh*t to his ex, the same one he's accused of assaulting. Uriah Hall gets involved, Mayhem uses the word "N*gger" a few times and a sort of half scuffle ensues.

Miller audibly calls him "b*tch n*gger" twice in the video.

I wonder how Dana White will view Hall throwing punches in public?

• Advertisement

MrStuffins wrote: »

So allegedly Mayhem was giving sh*t to his ex, the same one he's accused of assaulting. Uriah Hall gets involved, Mayhem uses the word "N*gger" a few times and a sort of half scuffle ensues.

Miller audibly calls him "b*tch n*gger" twice in the video.

I wonder how Dana White will view Hall throwing punches in public?

Dana won't say anything, not after the provocation

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement