Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General UFC Chit Chat/News

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭fakearms123

Now that the WEC is gone and Strikeforce seems to being phased out, UFC was suppose to become more frequent but instead it seems to be less and less, it has been a month now since the last event and the main event to look forward to after a month of waiting for another UFC event is Matt Hamill vs Rampage?? :confused: Matt Hamill last two wins against Jardine and Tito, jesus and Rampage seems completely bored by MMA now, cheers Dana for turning MMA into boxing, one good event every 3 months

• Registered Users Posts: 7,981 ✭✭✭cletus

You wont see an increase for a while, as the UFC have their cards laid out months and months in advance, due to booking venues etc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭seadnamac

Now that the WEC is gone and Strikeforce seems to being phased out, UFC was suppose to become more frequent but instead it seems to be less and less, it has been a month now since the last event and the main event to look forward to after a month of waiting for another UFC event is Matt Hamill vs Rampage?? :confused: Matt Hamill last two wins against Jardine and Tito, jesus and Rampage seems completely bored by MMA now, cheers Dana for turning MMA into boxing, one good event every 3 months

That's one of the most ridiculous things I've ever read. I'll just assume you've been living in a cave and have missed all the recent injuries and withdrawals.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,931 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Card should have read Edgar v May & Silva v Rampage, only because of Injury and Silva's problems has it been changed.

Still a very strong card IMO, also i'm happy events are not becoming more frequent as that really would dilute the quality of the cards.

As for turning MMA into boxing, what a pile of crap that statement is. How often do you see a boxing venue nearly full to capacity for the first fight on the undercard?

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭pauldoo

im glad the events are every month, when they get close together the cards start to get week, the main card on this is quality, as was the last one. Miguel Torres cant get on the main card for this event, that says it all. You can hardly blame dana white for putting on a weak card because edgar, maynard, and silva couldnt fight. it should have been an excellent card, but its still quality

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭the_doctor199

I find myself looking forward to events much more when they're once a month, for a period we were getting 3 or so a month and I wasn't all that bothered about watching them.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Xlami

Starting Saturday we have 3 cards in 3 weeks. I've no issue with this level of frequency of the cards however if I lived in the States and had to fork out 50 dollars every week I'd be pissed off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭seadnamac

And it continues, reports that Aldo is out of UFC 133 title defence against Chad Mendes....

http://www.heavy.com/mma/mma-news/2011/05/jose-aldo-hurt/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

UFC 140 is going to be in Montreal in December.

Rumors floating around now that Sonnen's suspension has been upheld is that GSP and Nick Diaz are going to coach TUF and fight at 140 in December.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭fightireland

unknown13 wrote: »

Rumors floating around now that Sonnen's suspension has been upheld is that GSP and Nick Diaz are going to coach TUF and fight at 140 in December.

Oh god I'd give it ten minutes before the 209 bash a few camera men! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭vangoz

130 is anything but weak, I'd rather have a card full of quality matchups than one big main event and several average bouts.

Stylistically it has a lot of potential.

I've a feeling rampage v hamill might surprise a few people and struve v browne should be a war.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,325 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

unknown13 wrote: »

Dana has categorically denied that they are coaching TUF.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Xlami

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T51jEgRUn9Y

This guy is fast becoming one of my favorite fighters. The Golden Glory guy is so exciting and his stand up is so technically good. I think he still has some work to do on his wrestling defence and ground game but would love to see him fight in America. Hope he gets his Visa sorted out this year.

DrPhilG wrote: »
    Dana has categorically denied that they are coaching TUF.

And I guess he wasn't lying :-)

looks like it may be machida v bones next.

I think this is better than rampage v jones, i dont think rampage has the tools to beat him, machida might have a better chance

• Registered Users Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭vangoz

pauldoo wrote: »
    looks like it may be machida v bones next.

I think this is better than rampage v jones, i dont think rampage has the tools to beat him, machida might have a better chance

Possibly, would be a great clash of styles non the less, I wonder if bones would try getting this to the ground or would he fancy his chances standing?

Bones has a 10 inch reach advantage, i dont think he would be too worried about standing, machida will have fun tip toeing around that, would be a good fight though

• Registered Users Posts: 19,193 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Bones v Machida is a fight i'd REALLY like to see! In fairness, of all of the LHW division, Machida is the one guy with the style I think could beat Bones.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,437 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

Top-ranked featherweight Hatsu Hioki vacates Shooto belt, will attend UFC 131

by Steven Marrocco on May 31, 2011 at 4:30 pm ET
    hatsu-hioki.jpgIf all goes well, the UFC could have all the top-ranked featherweight talent locked up by next month.

Japanese featherweight Hatsu Hioki turned down an offer to fight featherweight champion Hiroyuki Takeya at DREAM.17 and on Tuesday announced that he's vacating his Shooto lightweight title.

Shu Hirata, an associate of Hioki who represents several Japanese fighters, today told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) that the fighter is headed to UFC 131 as a guest, and all signs point to contract negotiations.

"I think he's going to have a sit-down with (UFC matchmaker) Sean Shelby and try to work out a deal," Hirata said.

Hioki wrote about his decision to relinquish the belt in a statement issued to the media.

"There is ... pride in wearing the Shooto world title, but I think that in the near future I would like to challenge a new stage of pride," he stated.

The manager said Shooto's official rules require a champion to defend his title every six months. However, that stipulation is not in the promotion's contracts, and the fighter's announcement is simply a courteous gesture to his former employer.

Hioki is also the Sengoku featherweight champion and has a contract with its promoter, World Victory Road. His deal has one fight remaining on it, yet it's unknown whether the promotion will ever return given serious financial problems its recently suffered. Several of its champions have asked for and been granted release from their contracts, including Jorge Santiago, who held the promotion's middleweight belt before he vacated it for a UFC contract.

"The number of fights they promised is already in breach," Hirata said. "But in Japanese culture, you don't really go an talk about the breach of contract unless you really, really have to.

"I think Hioki had to choose a political clearance by choosing the right time to vacate the (Shooto) belt and choosing the right time to tell Sengoku that he's going to the U.S. to negotiate."

Hioki (24-4-2) won the Shooto belt one year ago by defeating "Lion" Takeshi Inoue by split decision. This past December, he added the Sengoku belt to his mantle with a unanimous-decision win over the highly touted Marlon Sandro. He long has been considered one of the best fighters at 145 pounds.
    http://mmajunkie.com/news/23810/top-ranked-featherweight-hatsu-hioki-vacates-shooto-belt-will-attend-ufc-131.mma

• Registered Users Posts: 11,470 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Good to see that Brock is getting surgery and seems to be focused on getting back fighting.

Ricky Story has apparently called out Jon Fitch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,931 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

The hand injury that Quinton "Rampage" Jackson sustained this past Saturday at UFC 130 is serious – but perhaps not serious enough to stall his career.

As light-heavyweight champion Jon "Bones" Jones (13-1 MMA, 7-1 UFC) tells it, Jackson (32-8 MMA, 7-2 UFC) will get a shot at his belt.

"I'll be fighting Quinton 'Rampage' Jackson next," Jones told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) on Thursday. "I'm not allowed to discuss the date because I didn't sign a contract, but yeah, it will be very soon."

The announcement may come as a surprise to those familiar with Jackson's recent health history. The Nevada State Athletic Commission suspended him this week following his lopsided decision win over Matt Hamill at UFC 130, which took place at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas. The former champ had to get his left hand X-rayed and could be suspended until Nov. 25 if an injury was found. He can, however, gain clearance before that from an orthopedic doctor.

Jackson said he first hurt his hand while horsing around with teammates over the holidays and re-injured it in camp. The fight with Hamill did little but aggravate it further. However, it appears that the severity of the injury, which UFC president Dana White said could give Lyoto Machida or Rashad Evans the next title shot, has been downgraded.

White also said the title shot was Jackson's should he be healthy by fall.

"Bones" has wrestled with his own injuries, or specifically, one injury. He was expected to undergo surgery on a long-bothersome hand ligament, which scratched a potential fight with Evans at UFC 133. The promotion instead booked Evans to meet standout Phil Davis at the Aug. 6 event. Soon afterward, Jones caught fans by surprise when he announced that his doctor ruled against surgery and that he expected to return to the cage in the fall. But officials said it was too late to scratch Evans' UFC 133 headliner with Davis.

Jones said Thursday that his hand is "totally fine" and will be good to go for a fight with Jackson.

When would he like to return to the cage?

"September," he said.

If Jones gets his way, two options may accommodate him. "UFC Fight Night 25: Battle on the Bayou" is slated for Sept. 17 in New Orleans, and UFC 135 is targeted for Sept. 24 in Denver. However, the financial upside is far greater for Jones with a pay-per-view event since he receives a cut of its profits.

So, UFC 135 appears a likely option.

If the champ gets his way.

For the latest on UFC 135 and other upcoming events, stay tuned to the UFC Rumors section of the site.

Linky : http://mmajunkie.com/news/23853/ufc-champ-jon-jones-im-fighting-quinton-rampage-jackson-next.mma

Ush1 wrote: »
    Ricky Story has apparently called out Jon Fitch.

Rumble Johnson is out of the Marquart fight, Story has replaced him.

Anybody else starting to get that feeling you get when you know that Alistair Overeem is fighting soon...?
    :p:p:p

• Registered Users Posts: 29,830 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Anybody else starting to get that feeling you get when you know that Alistair Overeem is fighting soon...?

Can't wait to see the Reem in action again! June 18th seems ages away!

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Yes.
    Its a fuzzy feeling in my pants :pac:

Mayhem tweeted this pic of TUF.

317870682.jpg?AWSAccessKeyId=AKIAJF3XCCKACR3QDMOA&Expires=1307672891&Signature=attyI7V02OMiUHBs0n21CxZWIGc%3D

sheehy83 wrote: »
    Mayhem tweeted this pic of TUF.

317870682.jpg?AWSAccessKeyId=AKIAJF3XCCKACR3QDMOA&Expires=1307674634&Signature=MX%2Bj5T5MxJKcFZCv%2FAlVPz0J%2Boo%3D
    317870682.jpg?AWSAccessKeyId=AKIAJF3XCCKACR3QDMOA&Expires=1307672891&Signature=attyI7V02OMiUHBs0n21CxZWIGc%3D

FYP

Thats weird, its only showing up as one picture on my computer.

Wait, it wasnt in your post but I put edited it.... then it disappeared! WTF?

Now i've tried to reaccess the photo from the link and it's gone!

(edit: Here it is... if it works of course)

• Advertisement

MrStuffins wrote: »
    Wait, it wasnt in your post but I put edited it.... then it disappeared! WTF?

Now i've tried to reaccess the photo from the link and it's gone!

(edit: Here it is... if it works of course)

Mayhem looks like scooter :-p

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement