Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General UFC Chit Chat/News

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,330 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

So because I don't want to watch two women cause damage to each other. That makes me racist as well?

Some people would call that pacifism, but nope, it seems to make me a racist

Really?

You honestly think I just called you a racist?

Hardly much point in further debate if you can't figure out a simple analogy.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,932 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Thought this was pretty funny...and accurate

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Be like Nutella

Anyone hear Rory is being called out by Askren who says he'll fight him for free and retire if he loses?

"Rory MacDonald is a guy who really irks me," Askren said. "He bugs me. It was really nice to see him get knocked of his pedestal Saturday night."

Not only would Askren fight MacDonald, who lost to Robbie Lawler on Saturday at UFC 167, for free, but he would also leave the sport forever if he loses.

"But if Dana White was willing, if I lost to him I would fight for free retire from the sport of MMA, because that's how confident I am."

http://www.mmafighting.com/2013/11/18/5120060/ben-askren-wants-to-fight-rory-macdonald-vows-retirement-if-he-loses

don't like either of them.... but It'd be a great test for either guy. Make it happen Dana.

Jacare v Carmont in Feb - good test for both guys... great scalp for either guy!

http://www.sherdog.com/events/UFC-Fight-Night-36-Machida-vs-Mousasi-33523

this could be one of those cards that gets sexier and sexier til its stacked like a bunch of juicy pancakes drizzling in potential FOTN sauce!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,437 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

this could be one of those cards that gets sexier and sexier til its stacked like a bunch of juicy pancakes drizzling in potential FOTN sauce!

That's quite possibly the strangest metaphor I've ever heard.

Good work.

• Advertisement

reading today comments from GSPs mentor - that big dude that was with him Kristof Midoux.

Odds are not looking up for GSP to come back if this guy is saying he won't and he hopes he won't. It's just his opinion but he knows Georges and this is obviously where he stands on the issue -

---Midoux

I think Georges will abandon his belt and there will be a world championship without him. The decision is up to him and I expect him to come back from vacation to sit and talk with him.

But he is aware that he needs to rest. It must leave room for anything else in his heart.

I think he made the biggest career in this sport, but if he decides to return, for any reason, I will not be in his corner. I do not want to see him suffer more, having accomplished what all dream to accomplish.

He has another life awaits. I think he has many other things to do, instead of trying to find out who is the strongest in the world, because he has proved that it was him.

---

I kind of agree. I think GSP has done enough and his fighting style especially since his return from injury is not conducive to his future brain health. Maybe one more fight with Hendricks and then call it a day but only if he wants it more than he wants to breathe. If it's for the fans or for Dana or for Johny he shouldn't do it he owes nobody anything. He should only do it if he wants it that bad, in which case it's his decision and it's his body to sacrifice, kinda like Brian O'Driscoll. If he retires now IMO he's joint G.O.A.T. with Silva and Fedor. No doubt Jones and Aldo and Cain will rise to that level in the future but as of now I put GSP up with Silva and Fedor.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Xlami

UFC signed Ben Wall. I know it's to fill in for injury but some very average fighters manage to get into the UFC these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,193 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Jesus, Matt Grice is missing a piece of his head after his car accident.

Lucky to be alive!

390x270xmatt-grice-headPNG.png.speedilic.ic.aijWcrt1s_.jpg

Yeah I was reading that earlier today. It's some chunk missing!
    They're gonna reattach the portion of his skull though next month.
    He says he hopes to return to fighting at some stage but I really can't see that happening at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,569 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

I personally would not like to see anybody returning to MMA after something like that. Some things are just more important than fighting

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,335 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

MrStuffins wrote: »
    Jesus, Matt Grice is missing a piece of his head after his car accident.
    I imagine its just to relieve the pressure until that reattach it.
    I personally would not like to see anybody returning to MMA after something like that. Some things are just more important than fighting
    There's not a chance a doctor will clear him if there is any lasting implication from the injury.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,735 ✭✭✭ASOT

I know its a few weeks away but my god what a stacked card this is - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UFC_on_Fox:_Johnson_vs._Benavidez_II

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

El Guapo! wrote: »
    He says he hopes to return to fighting at some stage but I really can't see that happening at all.

After that injury absolutely no chance. I would not be surprised if the commissions have already medically suspended him for life.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,193 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

ASOT wrote: »
    I know its a few weeks away but my god what a stacked card this is - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UFC_on_Fox:_Johnson_vs._Benavidez_II

Was just looking at that card the other day. They always pull out all the stops for the FOX cards. Every single fight is awesome.

Even Mendes v Lentz. You'd think they'd both look to wrestle, but I can see this being fought on the feet with Lentz going to sleep in the first.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,735 ✭✭✭ASOT

MrStuffins wrote: »
    Was just looking at that card the other day. They always pull out all the stops for the FOX cards. Every single fight is awesome.

Even Mendes v Lentz. You'd think they'd both look to wrestle, but I can see this being fought on the feet with Lentz going to sleep in the first.

Yeah I can see mendes going for the ko, that would make it what 6 in a row I think?? One of my favorite fighters Really want him to win the title!

So many good fights on the card, hope Jorgensen turns his losing streak around aswell, always seemed like he had serious amounts of ability!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭califano

Mellor wrote: »
    There's not a chance a doctor will clear him if there is any lasting implication from the injury.

Maybe just stick him in against one of those eager 3 limb guys first to gauge his level of readiness:pac:

bit close to the bone there

Sad news being reported at the moment. Bit of a shocker. I hope he makes a speedy recovery.

From mmaJunkie:
    Less than a week after being forced out of his next fight, things have taken a decidedly more critical turn for Shane del Rosario.

According to a statement released by his management team, the UFC heavyweight has been hospitalized in critical condition following a Tuesday heart episode that left him in “full cardiac arrest.”

The UFC has not released official word, but del Rosario’s team at Iridium Sports tweeted that del Rosario remains in the hospital after being resuscitated in the emergency room on Tuesday.

“Official Statement: Shane Del Rosario had a catastrophic cardiovascular collapse at home on Tuesday morning. He was brought to the hospital in full cardiac arrest. He was resuscitated in the emergency room back to a stable heart rhythm and blood pressure. He is currently in the coronary care unit critically ill. Our prayers are with him and his family.”

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 11,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. Manager

Read that this morning, scary stuff. Hope he comes through it in good health.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

Brother just heard that he died :( Horrible news, RIP.

• Advertisement

ESPN are reporting it now too..... http://www.espn.co.uk/ufc/sport/story/261687.html

Awful news. RIP

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,992 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

Yeah Dana White tweeted it so 100% confirmed now :(

• Registered Users Posts: 39,335 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I really hope the tox report is clear on this one. Or else the media will be all over it whether its a factor or not.

Terrible news :(

Edit: I can only find 1 news site reporting his death. Others released after that one are stating he's still on life support.

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭loremolis

Was going to re edit my post. The doctors are going to take him off life support this morning unless a miracle happens over night.

The reports say "no brain activity".

Not sure if that means they have done brain stem death tests, but over here once those tests are performed and confirmed, you are officially dead, even when the machines are still running.

Shocking and sad news. Crazy that a heart attack can take out such a young and healthy guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,318 ✭✭✭p to the e

Woah. When I heard he had a heart attack I thought 'poor guy' and wondered when he'd be back in action. Never even entered my mind how serious it actually was.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

Mellor wrote: »
    I really hope the tox report is clear on this one. Or else the media will be all over it whether its a factor or not.

Why assume it might drug related, my 1st assumption was it is maybe sudden adult death.Manager said he was resuscitated at the hospital

I thought the UFC screened the fighters hearts, I know Dan Hardy was screened and it showed he has 2 heartbeats.Don't Stefan Struve have a heart condition also.

Very sad news if he's brain dead its worse than death tbh.

• Advertisement

dave1982 wrote: »

I thought the UFC screened the fighters hearts, I know Dan Hardy was screened and it showed he has 2 heartbeats.Don't Stefan Struve have a heart condition also.

They do, I think it was during UFC scans that both Struve and Hardy's conditions were found.

But Del Rosario hadn't fought in nearly a year due to a car crash, and wasn't scheduled until December. I'm not sure of the timing, but wouldn't the UFC pre-fight checks be within the last few weeks before the fight?

It would be even more tragic if that's the case, he would have been very close to his UFC medical work.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement