Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General UFC Chit Chat/News

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,330 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

The UFC have signed 11 new fighters.

115lb women for the new division that will start next year. They will first feature in an all female season of TUF.

The fighters signed include Scotland's Joanne Calderwood and Pat Barry's girlfriend Rose Namajunas.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

DrPhilG wrote: »

115lb women for the new division that will start next year. They will first feature in an all female season of TUF.

The fighters signed include Scotland's Joanne Calderwood and Pat Barry's girlfriend Rose Namajunas.

Will Rosi Sexton and any other smaller women fighters drop down ?

unknown13 wrote: »

Probably will be a few dropping down. I think that's the reason the UFC have gone with a 115lb division next, apart from it being a pretty solid division.

There are girls fighting at 125 who now have the option of adding weight to fight at 135 or cutting to 115 until such times as the 125 division breaks into the UFC.

The first group of fighters will start filming TUF 20 in May, winner of the season will not only get the contract and the Ultimate Fighter title, they also become the first UFC 115lb women's champ.

In so far;

Carla Esparza (9-2)
    Alex Chambers (4-1)
    Claudia Gadelha (11-0)
    Felice Herrig (9-5)
    Bec Hyatt (5-3)
    Emily Kagan (3-1)
    Juliana Lima (6-1)
    Rose Namajunas (2-1)
    Tecia Torres (4-0)
    Paige VanZant (3-1)
    Joanne Calderwood (8-0)

Also, it's a great deal for those 11, as they will be paid to do nothing for the next few months.

As they have come across from Invicta, they will actually be contracted rather than just being standard TUF contestants. 10 have been given a $8k/$8k contract, Invicta champ Esparza has got a $10k/$10k deal.

Because filming doesn't start until May the girls have to sit out the time in between so the UFC have agreed to pay them all both their show and win money twice between now and the start of filming, so Esparza will earn $40K and the rest $32K just to stay in shape for the first half of 2014 before filming the show.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,318 ✭✭✭p to the e

DrPhilG wrote: »

Seems even Invicta is not safe from the poaching.

Interesting. Rose has a main sponsor in the website www.cagepotato.com and as far as I know Dana has a visceral hatred for these guys so we'll have to wait and see how this pans out.

• Advertisement

p to the e wrote: »

What poaching exactly?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,193 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

They weren't poached. It's well known that Invicta and UFC have a good relationship and they have always been open to their big stars heading to the big leagues. Invicta & UFC aren't in direct competition.

it's like Walid Ismael and Jungle Fights. He says his main aim when it comes to his fighters is that they make it to the UFC.

MrStuffins wrote: »
    They weren't poached. It's well known that Invicta and UFC have a good relationship and they have always been open to their big stars heading to the big leagues. Invicta & UFC aren't in direct competition.

it's like Walid Ismael and Jungle Fights. He says his main aim when it comes to his fighters is that they make it to the UFC.

Precisely.

The Invicta boss has always said that she has a good relationship with Dana White and the UFC. The contracts for the girls in question were bought out after negotiations with Invicta so I'm sure the organisation was compensated as well as the fighters.

If women's MMA grows due to the success of the girls in the UFC, Invicta will benefit until such times as the UFC have all the women's classes and that's a good bit off yet. Even then Invicta will do well because there will be far more girls coming into the sport than the UFC have space for.

Don't forget that the UFC offered Cyborg a contract but would allow her to compete in Invicta even though the UFC would pay her wages. That's essentially the UFC sharing it's fighters, something that never happens (apart from Ed Herman fighting in SF).

There are even long running rumours that Zuffa part own or at least part financed Invicta as a means of growing women's MMA before they dipped their toe themselves.

Ben Askren has signed for One FC

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

p to the e wrote: »

Interesting. Rose has a main sponsor in the website www.cagepotato.com and as far as I know Dana has a visceral hatred for these guys so we'll have to wait and see how this pans out.

Poaching my arse, Invicta is giving female fighters exposure and regular fights not and this system is creating a simple path for female fighters. Get a couple of local fights then onto invicta and then the UFC.

Also that is a very invalid source you have there. Dana absolutely hates cage potato after they put Arianny's playboy photos up the day the issue came out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Xlami

She's getting neck surgery soon. I'd say it's 50/50 if she fights again.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 36 DerpKehoe

GSP/UFC conference call tomorrow. Things should be clear tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭weemcd

About 50% of me thinks GSP might retire, 50% thinks he's just gonna have a break ~ 6 months and be back :cool:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 11,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. Manager

MrStuffins wrote: »
    Ben Askren has signed for One FC

I bet he's sickened

I bet he's sickened

After all his maneuvering and talk, he ends up on about the same rung he was on before. Maybe a lower rung!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,318 ✭✭✭p to the e

Poaching my arse, Invicta is giving female fighters exposure and regular fights not and this system is creating a simple path for female fighters. Get a couple of local fights then onto invicta and then the UFC.

Also that is a very invalid source you have there. Dana absolutely hates cage potato after they put Arianny's playboy photos up the day the issue came out.

Always thought of Invicta trying to compete on a bigger level rather than just preparing them for a bigger stage. But I suppose if it works for Cage Warriors.

I'm sure it doesn't matter why he hates them but just that he hates them and may disagree with them sponsoring a UFC fighter.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 36 DerpKehoe

Rumours are that GSP is taking an indefinite hiatus and giving up the belt.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭califano

DerpKehoe wrote: »

hiatus is such a cop out word. I bet ufc begged him to take hiatus rather than him saying anything definite.

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭johnybean

DerpKehoe wrote: »

GSP taking an indefinite break, vacating the title which Johny hendricks and robbie lawlor will fight for in March in dallas Texas.
    Listening to him on the conference call, it's hard to know if he will come back, he says he feels he will be but that he has a lot of personal issues to deal with before he can consider coming back.
    Hope we do see him back, would be a shame for his legacy to end on this note as love him or hate him (he wouldn't be my number 1 fav fightet) there is no denying what he had done for and in the sport

• Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭weemcd

middleweight and welterweight are getting very interesting looking to 2014

hendricks v lawler looks like an insane fight. very interested to see who condit faces, think we find out early next week.

would not be surprised to see Diaz back sooner rather than later

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭Chewabacca

I know all the talk is about GSP at the moment, but this is the most shocking thing I've seen in a long time.

Alex_White___vs.___Roy_Babcock_medium.gif

His name is Rusty Sullivan, no joke. Theres a petition on sherdog forums to have him banned. Horrible stuff, feel bad for both fighters here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Be like Nutella

holy fcuk that man should never be allowed in a cage again

it's not an accounting error you get one of those and you're gone in this sport or ya should be

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Jesus christ. Its shocking how some people are given the responsibility for peoples welfare

If I was that fighter on top, i'd rather stand up, walk away and be disqualified than hit that guy again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Be like Nutella

100%

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

Holy crap thats bad, and he didnt even call it off after the last blow, it was just that the round ended

BAMMA
    Great fight Mansoor subbed Colin Fletcher in the 1st RNC. Paul Daley up next.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

califano wrote: »
    BAMMA
    Great fight Mansoor subbed Colin Fletcher in the 1st RNC. Paul Daley up next.

Is it on tv??

That ref reminded me of the NBA umpire who retired and wrote an autobiography detailing umpires and linesmens pre game backroom side bets amongst eachother before they refereed the game on amount of personal fouls, time of fouls for the lols etc. Looks like it wasnt the round that ref bet it would be stopped in.

• Advertisement

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    Is it on tv??

No not normal tv.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement