Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General UFC Chit Chat/News

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Cruz out of the Barao match with a torn groin and has to vacate title

Faber gets the shot

http://www.mmafighting.com/2014/1/6/5281218/dominick-cruz-injured-vacates-title-urijah-faber-in-against-renan

• Registered Users Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

Faber stepping up with only 3 weeks notice... Very risky considering he already lost to Barao.

Cruz just can't catch a break.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

I'm gonna stop looking forward to fights, they either don't happen or end up like Silva

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭stealinhorses

Damn, I don't know if Faber taking the fight on such short notice will do him any good. Another loss to Barao and he's in Benavidez land...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,932 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

delighted Cruz has been stripped, at least now the guy can have a warm up fight or 2 before going for the title, and not have to step into the cage with Barao after being out for close on 2 1/2yrs, he'd have been slaughtered

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,193 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

This is it now for Faber. He's not long removed from his last fight and is probably in the best form of his life. If he doesn't win the belt now he never will.

Actually looking forward to this fight more than the Cruz one. I don't think Cruz would've been anywhere near his potential

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Ahhhhh its grand

scudzilla wrote: »
    delighted Cruz has been stripped, at least now the guy can have a warm up fight or 2 before going for the title, and not have to step into the cage with Barao after being out for close on 2 1/2yrs, he'd have been slaughtered

Completely agree, Faber will give Barao much more of a challenge (I hope). Risky move, but the opportunity is there so you can't blame him.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,276 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

Faber surely had the option to say no and remain the number one contender and fight in a few months. Is taking the fight at such short notice not madness.

Cruz must be hating life, injury prone is an understatement.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 11,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. Manager

I've never wanted someone to win the belt as bad as Faber but I think this is a bad idea...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭califano

Mr Blobby wrote: »
    Faber stepping up with only 3 weeks notice... Very risky considering he already lost to Barao.

Cruz just can't catch a break.

I wouldnt call that stepping up after 3 weeks notice. The last camp is still serving him going into this fight, in a similar same way the Giro will have you ready going into Le Tour without cramming or Le Tour will lead you race fit into the Olympics. The work is done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭OrgasmicBaz

Cruz is like a smaller Shane Carwin - always injured!

Its a shame though cause hes a great fighter

• Registered Users Posts: 29,836 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Not a huge fan of Faber (don't dislike the fella either mind) but would be beaming for him if he won the belt.

Bit worried about the upcoming fight between Mir and Overeem at 169. Looks like loser gets marching orders. I would love to see Mir get a win again but think he might be clinched to death in this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,318 ✭✭✭p to the e

califano wrote: »
    I wouldnt call that stepping up after 3 weeks notice. The last camp is still serving him going into this fight, in a similar same way the Giro will have you ready going into Le Tour without cramming or Le Tour will lead you race fit into the Olympics. The work is done.

I have no idea what this means.

I think Faber will be still on a high after dominating McDonald and now with Duane Ludwig doing a great job at Alpha Male he really has a good opportunity here.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭califano

p to the e wrote: »
    I have no idea what this means.

I think Faber will be still on a high after dominating McDonald and now with Duane Ludwig doing a great job at Alpha Male he really has a good opportunity here.

Means the same as your highlighted just in cycling speak!.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,318 ✭✭✭p to the e

califano wrote: »
    Means the same as your highlighted just in cycling speak!.

Gotcha.

This will be Faber's 5th fight in 11 months apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

I think Faber is ready physically. The only worry I'd have is that three weeks (probably only two weeks in reality) probably isn't sufficient time for him to come up with and practice an effective gameplan to beat Barao.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,335 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I think Faber is ready physically. The only worry I'd have is that three weeks (probably only two weeks in reality) probably isn't sufficient time for him to come up with and practice an effective gameplan to beat Barao.
    There's close to a 0% chance that Faber and his coaches hadn't already considered a "Barao gameplan" long before this fight was announced.
    The post fight analysis of their last meeting or again since then simply because Barao was defacto champ.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭Arawn

Royce recently said that if kyra applied herself to train mma she would have the talent to take down Rousey, thoughts?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,437 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

Arawn wrote: »
    Royce recently said that if kyra applied herself to train mma she would have the talent to take down Rousey, thoughts?

Royce Gracie is the Gracie families biggest fan. He'd tell you that their dog Rover (probably pronounced Hover) is the best dog in the world. I'd take what he says with a pinch of salt.
    However, Kyra is a world class bjj player so there's definitely a chance. But as we all know, just because someone is good at one martial art doesn't mean they'll automatically be good in mma.

Arawn wrote: »

I've mention Kyra as a possible Ronda beater before. In terms of skill alone, Kyra is better on the ground and also has more submissions.
    But Ronda obviously owns stand up grappling. Ronda favours head & arm control for throws, which means when she lands in Keza gatame there's a brief opening to take her back. If that happened I do to think Ronda would get away like she did vrs Carmouche.

But, this of course ignores one massive factor, they aren't the same weight. Simple as that. So unless Kyra has been bulking up for debut then it's not going to happen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,330 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Good to see Ronda relaxed and friendly again now that Tate-gate is over.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jsf1N-n7qe4&feature=youtube_gdata_player

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

UFC Hall of Famer Ken Shamrock hasn't stepped inside the cage in over three years, so he's turned to a new profession that allows him to use his physicality to his advantage and earn some big bucks in the process.

As it turns out, "The World's Most Dangerous Man" is now working as a security guard for none other than world-renowned rapper 50 Cent.

TMZ broke the story Thursday:

49-year-old Shamrock was spotted on the rapper's personal protection detail at the CES convection[sic] in Las Vegas yesterday ... and afterward, Ken confirmed he's now working for a company that does private security for several "high-end clients," including Fiddy.

Shamrock also confirmed he was working with the rapper via a tweet he sent out Thursday stating it was a "pleasure" working with 50 Cent and his team.

:D you gotta love Ken

What was Matt Brown thinking?
    "The whole fight we have women in one room, men in another room. Rousey and Miesha come on and all the women just ****ing gather around the TV like it's the ****ing Kardashians coming on. I always said, 'I don't know why they put women in the UFC.' Now I know why. I just think this, if I'm [going] to pay $60 for a pay-per-view to watch women fight they should at least be topless. How many knockouts do you see in women's fights? It's not really my thing, I respect what they do, but look, they don't have the body type or the power, all that ****, for knockouts. If you're not a good grappler in women's MMA then you're behind. It's no different than the 125 [pound] division of men's MMA in that they're just really not built for knockouts."

http://www.mmamania.com/2014/1/9/5291448/matt-brown-paying-60-to-watch-women-fight-they-should-be-topless-mma

^^^ What an idiot...

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭OrgasmicBaz

Dont know what fights Brown does be watching. Personally i think the Women's fights are as entertaining as the Mens. But thats his stone age view of women's MMA

Even tho it wasn't a great TUF the women were far better than the men this season

To the best of my knowledge, all womens fights in the UFC bar 2 (possibly 3) have been brilliant. They won FOTN so must be doing something right!

It's says more about the women around him than anything else. I'm not aware of any women who are only drawn to women's fights "like it's the kardasians".
    My gf watches ufc with me, as do some of her friends. They watched before women joined the ufc and I don't think they suddenly stopped caring about the men's fights.

Mellor wrote: »
    It's says more about the women around him than anything else. I'm not aware of any women who are only drawn to women's fights "like it's the kardasians".
    My gf watches ufc with me, as do some of her friends. They watched before women joined the ufc and I don't think they suddenly stopped caring about the men's fights.

Same here. My girlfriend has a passing interest because I watch it and gets excited for certain fights that cross into her eye-line, GSp v Diaz because she watched the Primetime shows and Rousey v Tate because she watched The Ultimate Fighter are 2 examples.

I cast doubt on his idea that women were doing that in the first place. I think it's another made up scenario stemming from his relative misogyny!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,764 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

I actually had to look up who Brown was :o There's so many mid-level guys at WW nowadays

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,470 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

I actually had to look up who Brown was :o There's so many mid-level guys at WW nowadays

Brown was set to fight Condit. He's an animal, don't get it twisted.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement