Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General UFC Chit Chat/News

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,808 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Ush1 wrote: »
    Brown was set to fight Condit. He's an animal, don't get it twisted.

Ye he's an animal alright... A sexist pig :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,764 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Ush1 wrote: »
    Brown was set to fight Condit. He's an animal, don't get it twisted.
    When I was looking over his record he's on a good streak but he hasn't bet a genuine top level opponent yet no? Just a bunch of other middle of the pack'ers (so far). I am sure I must have seen him before but never considered him worth remembering

Edit: Or is he the guy who's fights always get rescheduled?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,470 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

When I was looking over his record he's on a good streak but he hasn't bet a genuine top level opponent yet no? Just a bunch of other middle of the pack'ers (so far). I am sure I must have seen him before but never considered him worth remembering

He's ranked 8th. If he beat Condit he would be fighting possibly for the title next. Lately he's on a great streak. Destroyed a very tough Mike Pyle.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

The NSAC announced Friday evening that Kizer will no longer be the executive director of the commission effective immediately and heading over to the Attorney's General Office.

Since Zuffa bought the UFC over a decade ago, their home base has been Las Vegas, NV. Each year they hold more events in Vegas and under the Nevada State Athletic commission than any other single location. Friday evening, it was revealed that there's been a bit of a shake up in the ranks of the commission.

Brett Okamoto of ESPN.com announced on Twitter that executive director of the NSAC will be stepping down from his post:

Just received email, Keith Kizer is leaving his role as NSAC executive director for Attorney's General Office effective Jan. 27..

— Brett Okamoto (@bokamotoESPN) January 11, 2014
    Kizer will continue his duties as executive director until making the move on January 27. As of yet, they do not have a replacement for Kizer, but will begin the search immediately.

The UFC is next set to return to Nevada on February 22 for UFC 170. The event will take place in the Mandalay Bay Events Center and will feature women's bantamweight champion Ronda Rousey seeking her third title defense against Sara McMann.

UPDATE: MMA Fighting got statements from both Kizer and NSAC chairman Francisco Aguilar:

"It's time to move on," Kizer said in a statement, via the Las Vegas Review-Journal. "It's time to go back to being an attorney."

According to NSAC chairman Francisco Aguilar, Kizer's decision to step down was not forced, but one of his own accord. A search for Kizer's replacement is already underway.

"The board is grateful to Keith for his nearly eight years of dedicated service, which included the commission's strongest years with regard to health and safety and fiscal soundness," Aguilar said in a statement. "My fellow commissioners and I wish Keith all the best in his new role."

Not sure if this even makes a difference am i right in thinking he was anti TRT?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,970 ✭✭✭Lenin Skynard

There aren't too many fighters, even top-level fighters who go on a six fight streak in that division, finishing all but one. The guys he has beaten could be described as mid-tier alright but they're all decent.

I'd fancy Condit in that fight but there's no question over whether Brown deserves it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,764 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

There aren't too many fighters, even top-level fighters who go on a six fight streak in that division, finishing all but one. The guys he has beaten could be described as mid-tier alright but they're all decent.

I'd fancy Condit in that fight but there's no question over whether Brown deserves it.

He beat a load of other mid level guys in that streak, Mein, Swick and Pyle would all be pretty decent alright but I'd rather judge him by the quality of his opponents not by their quantity, Hendricks also went on a 6 fight streak but look who he beat

• Registered Users Posts: 19,193 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

He beat a load of other mid level guys in that streak, Mein, Swick and Pyle would all be pretty decent alright but I'd rather judge him by the quality of his opponents not by their quantity, Hendricks also went on a 6 fight streak but look who he beat

True but this is why he was put in against Condit. That would've shown if he was the real deal

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭osl

Brown is massively overrated. Has never beaten a top 20 guy imo, never mind top 10. He was 12-11 before his streak for a reason. Condit would totally outclass him. Puncher's chance at best

• Registered Users Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

Matt Brown massively overrated? He was a 11/4 underdog against Jordan Mein. Gave Stephen Thompson his only loss. You are talking out of your hoop. 6 fight win streak in one of the most stacked divisions speak for itself, never mind the 5/6 knockouts in that streak. Look at the guys losses, he obviously had a big hole in his game with submission defence, once he shored that up hes become a serious fighter.

Davei141 wrote: »
    Matt Brown massively overrated? He was a 11/4 underdog against Jordan Mein. Gave Stephen Thompson his only loss. You are talking out of your hoop. 6 fight win streak in one of the most stacked divisions speak for itself, never mind the 5/6 knockouts in that streak. Look at the guys losses, he obviously had a big hole in his game with submission defence, once he shored that up hes become a serious fighter.

We'll soon see. Like I said hasn't beaten anyone in the top 20 at welterweight imo, and is one fight from a title fight. Usually have to beat a couple of top 10 guys to be mentioned. Look at who Hendricks had to beat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

But you are calling him massively overrated, he was a huge underdog against Condit before the fight was scrapped. Big underdog against Mein and the odds were close vs Pyle. Who is overrating him? The Condit fight was to see where Brown was at and stylistically it would have been a great fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

Who are you talking bout McGregor or Brown:D

But you are calling him massively overrated, he was a huge underdog against Condit before the fight was scrapped. Big underdog against Mein and the odds were close vs Pyle. Who is overrating him? The Condit fight was to see where Brown was at and stylistically it would have been a great fight.

He's ranked 8th in the world and is in title contention despite not beating any highly ranked fighters. So in my mind that makes him overrated. The fact that the bookies think he's a big underdog against the likes of Condit(and i would presume the rest of the top 10) kind of proves my point. It's their job to be impartial, and they don't rate him as a title contender. Neither do I. Will have no problem eating crow if he proves me wrong by the way. Nothing against him, like his style of fighting, and liked him on TUF.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,335 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

He was a 11/4 underdog against Jordan Mein. Gave Stephen Thompson his only loss.
    Winning when a decent underdog proves nothing, except maybe that there was a slice of luck to the win.
    And Stephen Thompson is nowhere near top level. His only loss is Brown but his wins are all low level promotion or bottom tier UFC. That's exactly the point, while Brown is on a good run, he hasn't made a dent on the top 10 yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭OrgasmicBaz

Michael Johnson volunteers to fight Nurmagomedov,

Fair play to him for wanting to fight the elite in his weight but i think he may be too much for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Xlami

Normie teasing with the idea on facebook

• Registered Users Posts: 12,330 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Cat Zingano's husband has died. No cause of death released yet although police have said it's not suspicious I believe.

Apparently they had split up a few months ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,330 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Wednesday night's fights are all on BT Sports 2 by the way, not BT Sports 1.

My first thought was that it was another potential no-show!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭califano

DrPhilG wrote: »
    Wednesday night's fights are all on BT Sports 2 by the way, not BT Sports 1.

My first thought was that it was another potential no-show!

You seem disapointed you had to put the knives away:):pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,932 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Georgie has been very vocal over the last day or so, says he quit because of the UFC's stand on the drug testing, and now he's saying the UFC have a monopoly which is unfair.

Technically can i slag him off now as it's no longer fighter bashing, he ain't a fighter anymore

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭jsa112

• Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭weemcd

jsa112 wrote: »

Thanks! Thought this was only available for fightpass members, just rewinded the live stream to watch the brennaman fight

• Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭weemcd

Beneil Dariush has a Mousassiesque look about him

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

jsa112 wrote: »

Might not have big names on it but the card is underrated in my eyes. Some nice fights on it.

scudzilla wrote: »
    Georgie has been very vocal over the last day or so, says he quit because of the UFC's stand on the drug testing, and now he's saying the UFC have a monopoly which is unfair.

Technically can i slag him off now as it's no longer fighter bashing, he ain't a fighter anymore

Just on GSP's comments about drug testing. I think it's great anytime someone of real stature in a professional sport has the balls to attempt to pull back the curtain. Anyone who has done a significant amount of reading on PED usage in pro sports is aware of how widespread an issue it is.

It's remarkably easy to cycle on and off PEDs these days, and urine tests are insignificant if you're anyway professional about it. The whole Lance Armstrong (Cycling as whole) affair certainly brought that to light. Cycling is not the only sport with an omerta though. I remember Mac Danzig estimating that about 80% of the guys in the UFC were juicing based on his first hand experience, didn't name any names obviously. GSP hinted at his insider knowledge as well.

http://www.mmafighting.com/2014/1/14/5309016/georges-st-pierre-on-ufcs-lack-of-drug-testing-support-it-bothered-me

"I tried to do something to change the sport," he said. "Unfortunately, there were other people, for different reasons, maybe for money, in fear of losing money, because if you cancelled the fight because someone tested positive there are millions of dollars [lost]. Also, the sport's image ... If you start testing everyone, how many will get caught? I don't want to say in public because I don't want to accuse anyone, but the sport's image will be hurt.

"Don't forget, I have internal information. I'm an athlete. I know what goes on, so that disappointed me greatly."

Was always a GSP fan, a bigger one now though.

A nice rundown of football's PED issues for anyone interested, which highlights the general culture in pro sports with regard to PED usage.

http://www.4dfoot.com/2013/02/09/doping-in-football-fifty-years-of-evidence/

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Xlami

Anyone else awake and watching UFC live? Couldn't see a thread. Anyone out there? #lonely

• Registered Users Posts: 29,836 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

That Liver Kick was naaaaasty!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,858 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

the ref in the romero brunson fight was one of the
    worst ive ever seen
    what the hell was he waiting for?
    i just dont understand it

dillashaw is improving fast and a man going places

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭seiphil

Brunson suffered a broken jaw last night. Romero is a beast.

Rockhold looked decent.

6 in a row for Tavares. Would like to see him fight Philippou.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Shades of El Guapo. Lovely kick by Rockhold. Made me wince *shudder*
    The beating Brunson took at the end of the fight was ridiculous and should have been stopped much sooner. Holy christ.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement