Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General UFC Chit Chat/News

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,837 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

New UFC bonus payout. Can't link properly on the phone.

The Ultimate Fighting Championship announced today a modification to its live event bonuses. Effective immediately, UFC will award “Fight of the Night Bonuses” to each of the fighters in the best fight of the night, as well as additional “Performance of the Night Bonuses” to the two best individual performances on the card. The bonus amounts will remain $50,000. The “Performance of Night” bonuses will reward the athletes who put on the best and most exciting individual performances.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,437 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

sheehy83 wrote: »
    New UFC bonus payout. Can't link properly on the phone.

The Ultimate Fighting Championship announced today a modification to its live event bonuses. Effective immediately, UFC will award “Fight of the Night Bonuses” to each of the fighters in the best fight of the night, as well as additional “Performance of the Night Bonuses” to the two best individual performances on the card. The bonus amounts will remain $50,000. The “Performance of Night” bonuses will reward the athletes who put on the best and most exciting individual performances.

Just read that a minute ago too.
    I can't see any official word on whether or not they're dropping the Sub & KO of the night bonuses. I'd assume they are though.

Yeah it sounds like performance of the night will still go to a great ko or sub and not just an average sub because it was the only one on the card.

sheehy83 wrote: »
    Yeah it sounds like performance of the night will still go to a great ko or sub and not just an average sub because it was the only one on the card.

On the other side of the coin, there could be a fight with really bad performances but that end with an amazing KO or sub. Be interesting to see how they work it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,570 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

I think replacing it with three "finishes of the night" would have the same incentive but fairer award. It can be annoying to see a great KO being overlooked by an even greater KO, especially on a card with no submissions. Likewise, a lacklustre TKO getting KO of the night because the other 11 fights were submissions/decisions.

Ofc, sub/KO are interchangeable, as above.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 11,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. Manager

I think replacing it with three "finishes of the night" would have the same incentive but fairer award. It can be annoying to see a great KO being overlooked by an even greater KO, especially on a card with no submissions. Likewise, a lacklustre TKO getting KO of the night because the other 11 fights were submissions/decisions.

Ofc, sub/KO are interchangeable, as above.

Dana has been known to dish out 2 KOTN bonuses in cases like this.

Personally, I think the FOTN, SOTN and KOTN is good and just don't award bonuses for the sake of awarding them. If it's a shít card, it's a shít card.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

I thought the old bonuses were good and i think everyone knew that other good performances were rewarded back stage. Shame to get rid of the KO and sub bonuses.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Gilbert Grape

Looking foward to this card this weekend,hoping Mousasi gets the win in a tough fight for both.The winner of this fight hopefully gets the title shot next.The man is severely under rated.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

Just got told by my gf that she's after getting me tickets to UFC London. Kept it quiet but had to tell me since I started booking up my holiday days for work and would probably need one for this. Never been to an event before.

I CANT WAIT.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

Performance of the night is a welcome change. There has been some great performances in the past that finished not in spectacular fashion that deserved credit and never did because of the old rewards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭Rob01

Evans out of the fight with Cormier due to a leg injury, no replacement as it is to close :( was looking forward to Cormiers first fight at 205

Sonnen has offered to step in and fight DC!
    Ya gotta hand it to the guy. He's always ready to fight at a minutes notice.

Cormier would molest Sonnen at 205. Would hate to see it happening, but fair play for putting himself forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

Sonnen is real deal to be fair to him, he will fight anyone anytime literally.

Then again he could just be a greedy ****er mad for a pay check :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭smilerf

That's Donald cerrone :-)

Sonnen v Cormier is a much more interesting fight for me. I think Sonnen has a good chance at this.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Mattyz69

This fight i dont think will happen, and i dont think Sonnen has a better chance than Evans. Evans wrestling for MMA is superb and his striking is much sharper than Sonnens not to mention his footwork.

Sonnen main aim in saying he would fight i believe is that it just gives him more ammo for smack talking to ppl you refuse to fight on short notice, but in saying that i have no doubt that Sonnen would fight tomorrow if he had to, against anyone

• Registered Users Posts: 19,193 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Wait, is Sonnen gonna fight DC AND fight Wand?

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Mattyz69

knowing Sonnen he will let Wand and DC be a tag team... claim its the only way they have a chance

Following sour contract negotiations, Dana White says Gilbert Melendez 'better start looking elsewhere'
    By Shaun Al-Shatti @shaunalshatti on Feb 12 2014, 8:06p

Fight fans eagerly awaiting the Octagon return of Gilbert Melendez should probably begin preparing themselves for disappointment.

Melendez's Zuffa contract expired following his win over Diego Sanchez in October 2013, and according to a report from Ariel Helwani on UFC Tonight, after several months of negotiations to hammer out a new deal for Melendez, talks have all but stalled.

"I'm done," UFC President Dana White told Helwani. "It's not going well. I couldn't care less about it anymore. I like Gilbert Melendez, I don't like his management."

Melendez's manager is none other than Rodolphe Beaulieu, the man who also manages former UFC welterweight champion Georges St-Pierre.

"Being Georges St-Pierre's best friend, doesn't make you a good manager," White said of Beaulieu.

"If he (Melendez) wants to fight in the UFC, he better talk to (UFC co-owner) Lorenzo (Fertitta) quick."

Beaulieu did not immediately respond to requests to comment on the situation.

Melendez (22-3) is currently the promotion's No. 2 ranked lightweight and No. 14 ranked pound-for-pound fighter, according the official UFC rankings.

A longtime titleholder in Strikeforce, Melendez saw his seven-fight win streak snapped when he lost an extremely controversial decision to then-UFC champion Benson Henderson in mid-2013.

Melendez earned a reported $175,000 salary to show that night, a carryover from his old Strikeforce contract. He then followed up the performance by staging an incredible three-round brawl against Sanchez at UFC 166 -- a contest White called "one of the best fights I've ever seen."

"In the 13 years of being in this company, we've seen some amazing fights. I don't think I've ever seen a fight like that. That fight was insane," White gushed at UFC 166's post-fight press conference.

Nonetheless it appears as if the honeymoon is over, as White issued some stark advice to Melendez's camp in the event that the two sides remain unable to work out a deal....

"He better start looking elsewhere," said the UFC President.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,932 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Patrick Cummins is now fight cormier, dunno much about this guy

http://www.sherdog.com/fighter/Patrick-Cummins-72981

His last fight was against a guy called Willie Smalls.

heh

• Registered Users Posts: 12,808 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

heh

Seeing as he's only had 4 fights in the last 4 years this is gonna be a real Rocky story... Or an absolute slaughter

heh

Willie smalls V cummins?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

Where are all these european card announcements? Wasnt there meant to be at least 6 events this year thats 1 ever two months. Ufc only have 1 peniciled in for the first 4 months. Not looking good

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭OrgasmicBaz

That fight is going to be another Mousasi - Latifi type fight.

You would think they could of got someone who had at least a few UFC fights under his belt

Ian McCall is out of his fight with Brad Pickett.

There's a bit of a campaign to get Neil Seery in to replace him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭RainMaker

Turned on to BT1 last night around 11 or so and there was an interview with Bisping on...

Seems determined to eventually get back in the cage, but his eye looks pretty bad and possibly it would be in his own best interest to call it a day really!

"First it was the detached retina, then glaucoma then cataracts..."

Reckoned his doctor will give him the all clear eventually though.

What time is the card being broadcast tonight? The card is in Brazil right? Is it on a time to suit Brazil or to suit America?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 4,339 Mod ✭✭✭✭TherapyBoy

Starts on BT Sports at 3:30am according to my telly-box. I think the prelims are on the fight pass thing but I'm not sure when they start.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement