Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General UFC Chit Chat/News

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,932 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Not liking the beast that Zuffa/UFC is becomming at all, they've been saying this week that they're losing millions per PPV on Piracy, how do they work that one out?

If 100,000 people watch a stream on the net it doesn't mean that 100,000 people will pay $50 each for a ppv, so how they figure the loss is millions baffles me

• Registered Users Posts: 19,193 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

• Registered Users Posts: 11,932 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

• Registered Users Posts: 12,437 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

Melendez has been re-signed by the UFC and it's been announced that he'll be opposite Pettis as a coach on the next TUF.

http://mmajunkie.com/2014/02/gilbert-melendez-stays-with-ufc-will-coach-tuf-20-opposite-anthony-pettis-fight-for-belt/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

El Guapo! wrote: »
    Melendez has been re-signed by the UFC and it's been announced that he'll be opposite Pettis as a coach on the next TUF.

http://mmajunkie.com/2014/02/gilbert-melendez-stays-with-ufc-will-coach-tuf-20-opposite-anthony-pettis-fight-for-belt/

Madness he was being dropped last week by Dana no he is guaranteed PPV income no matter where on a card he is and 75% of his fights will be on PPV.

Dana's going soft or else Lorenzo stepped in

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,318 ✭✭✭p to the e

Or else he was never going to be dropped and wanted some publicity for the next TUF.

Good news! It would've been bad for all concerned having possibly the No.2 guy in the world head off to Bellator.

Pettis v Melendez means no Pettis v Aldo. However I think i'd like to see this fight more. I'm not a massive fan of inter divisional match ups anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭Yourwellcum

dave1982 wrote: »
    Madness he was being dropped last week by Dana no he is guaranteed PPV income no matter where on a card he is and 75% of his fights will be on PPV.

Or played Bellator at there own game. See what they offered and just match it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 263 ✭✭Locomotion

MrStuffins wrote: »
    Good news! It would've been bad for all concerned having possibly the No.2 guy in the world head off to Bellator.

Pettis v Melendez means no Pettis v Aldo. However I think i'd like to see this fight more. I'm not a massive fan of inter divisional match ups anyway.

So do ya reckon this means Mendes will get his rematch with Aldo then? Or will Aldo wait until mid 2015 to fight the winner of Melendez Pettis?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

Or played Bellator at there own game. See what they offered and just match it.

Not sure looks like they blew that offer out of the water giving him PPV percentage

• Advertisement

Locomotion wrote: »
    So do ya reckon this means Mendes will get his rematch with Aldo then? Or will Aldo wait until mid 2015 to fight the winner of Melendez Pettis?

I hope so. Mendes has looked a different fighter since his loss to Aldo. And Aldo has beaten everyone else.

Another possibility would be Frankie Edgar if he wins impressively over BJ? I'm not sure that says much though. TUF is a long process so Aldo will have to fight in the interim anyway.

It might play out like this. Aldo continues to dominate, Melendez takes a close decision v Pettis, Pettis drops down to challenge Aldo.

MrStuffins wrote: »
    I hope so. Mendes has looked a different fighter since his loss to Aldo. And Aldo has beaten everyone else.

Another possibility would be Frankie Edgar if he wins impressively over BJ? I'm not sure that says much though. TUF is a long process so Aldo will have to fight in the interim anyway.

It might play out like this. Aldo continues to dominate, Melendez takes a close decision v Pettis, Pettis drops down to challenge Aldo.

Personally, with the fence grab, I still feel Mendes was robbed against Aldo the 1st time. Would love to see Mendes squeak out a decision win to take the title and send Aldo off to LW. Aldo could then fight Benson with the winner fighting the winner of Pettis / Melendez.

Yeah I think Mendes has a real shot against Aldo. I'd love to see a rematch.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭peejay1986

With Aldo vs Pettis more of a possibility (obviously after the TUF finale) than ever, would the UFC really want to risk Aldo getting beat? Wouldn't be surprised to see them give him an 'easier' option in order to keep the prospect of a superfight (hate that word) appealing.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,335 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

dave1982 wrote: »

I don;t think he was ever being dropped, I don't even think it was anything to do with him. His management (also GSP's I think) decided to take the risk and paly hardball. It worked out for him, so happy for him. The offer match clause is pretty standard for UFC contracts, for good reason. But managers need to be careful not to piss everyone off in the process.

Belator were simply pawns here. At the very least, they were going to offer a substantial increase over the UFC first offer, and unless the offer was going to bankrupt Belator, the UFC was guaranteed to match it. It's basically a drawn out way to get a payrise.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,335 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Joe has the best expressions sometimes. And he obviously knows the cameras are there, he just don't give a ****.

wKCqyU6.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭Easy Rod

Mellor wrote: »
    Joe has the best expressions sometimes. And he obviously knows the cameras are there, he just don't give a ****.

wKCqyU6.gif

Saw a tweet form Jessica Eye saying he was checking her out too at the weigh ins and she got an extra 500 followers as a result!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,121 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

UFC have snapped up Cage Warriors Featherweight Champ (and a man who succeeded a certain Mr. McGregor) Jim Alers.

Having seen Alers fight for CWFC a few times now, the chap looks like a beast. Great signing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Dancor

UFC have snapped up Cage Warriors Featherweight Champ (and a man who succeeded a certain Mr. McGregor) Jim Alers.

Having seen Alers fight for CWFC a few times now, the chap looks like a beast. Great signing.

It would be great to finally see him against Conor, although McGregor is in a different galaxy now compared to Jim.

I was really looking forward to that fight while they were both with CW.

Great signing for UFC. Great signing for Alers too!

I agree with the above, there were a few choice words between himself and Conor. It would be a tasty match up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭Easy Rod

Nate Diaz just tweeted asking to be released from the UFC.

Weird family.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,330 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Those 2 lads need to lay off the pot...

Hope that's not considered fighter bashing, they both admit to smoking it don't they?

Nick seems to have lost his marbles altogether, retired one minute, wants an immediate title shot the next. Now Nate wants out too?

Nut jobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,837 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

UFC Fight Night next Saturday will be live on Channel 5, Nice!

http://uk.ufc.com/news/ufc-on-channel-5

If anyone has Sky but doesn't know how to get Channel 5, here's how:

Go to "Services", then "System Set Up". Then go to "Add Channels".

The frequency is:

H
    5/6

• Registered Users Posts: 11,470 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

sheehy83 wrote: »
    UFC Fight Night next Saturday will be live on Channel 5, Nice!

http://uk.ufc.com/news/ufc-on-channel-5

Fantastic news!

Hopefully a sign of things to come.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭omeatheopian

I'm UPC and don't think I have channel 5? Is this available?

Is it only on Channel 5 or BT sports as well?

Are we getting the Hathaway Vs Kim fight on BT Sport?

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭Johnny Drama_11

BT sports will also show the fightnight from London.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

This weekends doesn't look to be on bt sport?
    https://sport.bt.com/moresporthub/ufc/bt-sports-ufc-events-at-a-glance-S11363831491284

Actually seems to be on for 2 hours 9.45pm on Sat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭omeatheopian

BT sports will also show the fightnight from London.
    Ah I see. Cheers boss

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement