Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General UFC Chit Chat/News

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,837 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Vegas has banned TRT and now UFC has banned it too! Will be very interesting to see what fighters like Vitor, Sonnen and Mir will do now?

http://www.mmafighting.com/2014/2/27/5454410/dana-white-ufc-will-no-longer-allow-trt-couldnt-wait-for-that-garbage

• Registered Users Posts: 39,335 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

sheehy83 wrote: »
    Vegas has banned TRT and now UFC has banned it too! Will be very interesting to see what fighters like Vitor, Sonnen and Mir will do now?

http://www.mmafighting.com/2014/2/27/5454410/dana-white-ufc-will-no-longer-allow-trt-couldnt-wait-for-that-garbage
    Fighters can still use it in other states in the US though, but hopefully it won't be long before they follow suit.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,932 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

GSP has said one of the main reasons he left was because he had OCD.

Guess when he comes back there will be an easy way to beat him, when they square up in front of the ref before the fight his opponent only has to whisper the Octagon has 9 sides and they're unequal :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Tubbs4

Vitor going be fudged as the title fight is in vegas. wonder how he look at weigh in without it ;)

Jaysus GSP sounds like a very complex dude. Did he actually admit to Rogan before that he thinks he was abducted by aliens because he lost a few days?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Tubbs4

sheehy83 wrote: »
    Jaysus GSP sounds like a very complex dude. Did he actually admit to Rogan before that he thinks he was abducted by aliens because he lost a few days?

Think it was hours while driving he said on joerogan podcast. He looked down on clock and a few hours has passed. Hope the rest from being in the media sorts he out as while I hated some of his fights, he was a good fighter

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

Can the UFC ban it outright? Even in states that it is allowed or would the commission have the final say?

Could it be a claus in a fighters contract, that they do use TRT under any circumstances.

dave1982 wrote: »
    Can the UFC ban it outright? Even in states that it is allowed or would the commission have the final say?

Could it be a claus in a fighters contract, that they do use TRT under any circumstances.

The ufc can only ban it when they are the governing body I.e mostly over seas fights. Other that that, it will be up to the states commission.

Bisping, gas man

So TRT is now officially banned in Nevada. U could argue I only have one loss on my record. After I beat Kennedy I want my shot at the title

If an AC allows it, they the UFC can't really do anything.
    Which is why they did nothing until now despite Dana being so publicly against it. He called for a ban last month. The UFC announcement was directly after Vegas', they need them to make the first move.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭weemcd

Tell me this.

The ban sounds all well and good, but will much change? Unless they are dedicated to testing in-camp for substances, what is to stop athletes cycling on TRT then bringing their levels down to normal before the fight? Many do this already with the occasional guy being caught, but I'd imagine they are the tip of the iceberg.

I'll see how this plays out, but at the moment I shrug my shoulders to decide if it will change much, aside from high profile guys like Vitor, Hendo, Chael etc. who may have to look carefully at where they plan their next fights.

weemcd wrote: »
    Tell me this.

The ban sounds all well and good, but will much change? Unless they are dedicated to testing in-camp for substances, what is to stop athletes cycling on TRT then bringing their levels down to normal before the fight?
    If someone needs to cycle on and off again for fights its not TRT. It's just plan old illegal steroid/PED use that's been around forever, and is an entirely different problem.
    A fighter who would never break the rules or cheat by using PEDs, may have considered TRT as it was entirely above board.

Exemption's for TRT created the situation where somebody could get permission to use PED's without breaking any rules. This removes the fear of repercussion, they don't need to cover their tracks (literally ;)) or worry about cycles or masking. And because they have a prescription now they can easily get test from the doctor/pharmacy, instead of dodgy/illegal sources.

Mellor wrote: »
    If someone needs to cycle on and off again for fights its not TRT. It's just plan old illegal steroid/PED use that's been around forever, and is an entirely different problem.
    A fighter who would never break the rules or cheat by using PEDs, may have considered TRT as it was entirely above board.

Exemption's for TRT created the situation where somebody could get permission to use PED's without breaking any rules. This removes the fear of repercussion, they don't need to cover their tracks (literally ;)) or worry about cycles or masking. And because they have a prescription now they can easily get test from the doctor/pharmacy, instead of dodgy/illegal sources.

TRT is just a drop in the ocean of illegal performance enhancers then really? Still gonna see guys busted like we do now, it's just theres no TRT exemption free ticket any more.

I wonder if there are many guys who use a TRT exemption now, that just isn't common knowledge? Might see a change in the performance of some athletes.

All eyes on Vitor.

zsslsk.jpg

2h3u9l4.jpg

Interesting times ahead with Vitor, fight could be in doubt now.

Did someone say Chael P Sonnen?:D

weemcd wrote: »
    TRT is just a drop in the ocean of illegal performance enhancers then really? Still gonna see guys busted like we do now, it's just theres no TRT exemption free ticket any more.
    Pretty much.
    The sport is my no means clean. I donlt even consider TRT to have been dirty, it simply got out of hand and was monitored poorly.
    All eyes on Vitor.
    This is the funny part. If Vitor wins or puts in a solid performance, it'll be claimed that he's a beast even TRT. But it doesn't work like that really. It's not like his gains will just disappear.

Plus, Vitor can't just toss out any vials of test he has. He prob has to slowly reduce his dosage, maybe over a few weeks. And introduce other drugs to mitigate the negative effects of exogenous test, and prob run some sort of PCT to restart his own test production.
    He's basically not going to be "natural" until just before the fight.
    dave1982 wrote: »
    Did someone say Chael P Sonnen?:D
    Presumably on TRT also

• Registered Users Posts: 7,735 ✭✭✭ASOT

Vitor out of the fight with weidman, Machida in to replace him.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Dancor

It's official that Vitor is out of the fight now. Machida will fight Weidman.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,193 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

This is f*cking bullish*t!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 263 ✭✭Locomotion

Dancor wrote: »
    It's official that Vitor is out of the fight now. Machida will fight Weidman.

Machida Vs Weidmann is a much more interesting fight than a TRT-less Vitor Vs Weidmann

• Registered Users Posts: 10,121 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

Don't make Vitor angry.
    You wouldn't like him when he's angry.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,318 ✭✭✭p to the e

So has he given a reason?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 4,339 Mod ✭✭✭✭TherapyBoy

p to the e wrote: »
    In light of today’s unexpected ruling issued by the Nevada State Athletic Commission regarding the ban of therapeutic use exemptions for testosterone replacement therapy, Vitor Belfort, Weidman’s previously announced opponent, will no longer compete at UFC 173. Belfort, who has previously been granted therapeutic use exemptions, recognizes that he needs an extended period of time to become licensed in the state of Nevada.
    With the event scheduled to go on sale shortly, Belfort agreed to withdraw from the fight in order to allow the UFC’s promotional efforts to move forward on time.

Might be to do with time needed to get licensed or time needed to come off TRT properly. I'm not sure how long either takes.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,193 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

TherapyBoy wrote: »
    Might be to do with time needed to get licensed or time needed to come off TRT properly. I'm not sure how long either takes.

With your username I thought you'd be the person who'd know!

p to the e wrote: »

He is going to fight without TRT, but he needs to do it right and hasn't got the time given the constraints of the fight in May.

Basically, he knows the NSAC won't give him a license in he's weening off TRT.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 4,339 Mod ✭✭✭✭TherapyBoy

MrStuffins wrote: »
    With your username I thought you'd be the person who'd know!

You'd be right! Taking TRT & HGH for years, side-effect from a long history of brain tumours. No-one has ever mistaken me for a fighter though :P

Dan Henderson had already applied for TUE for his fight in Brasil next month. Expected to get it too. Linky

I hope Wiedman absolutely smashes Machida!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭Easy Rod

I hope Machida absolutely smashes Weidman!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 263 ✭✭Locomotion

I hope the Pacific is as blue as it has been in my dreams...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement