Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General UFC Chit Chat/News

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭jcd5971

DrPhilG wrote: »
    And the resulting fracture...

356808.jpg

Jesus some pic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,911 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

JJayoo wrote: »
    I wish Mir would work on take downs to allow him to use his submission skills from dominant positions.

Ya, i'm always screaming at the telly for him to takedown whoever and work on a sub but naw, always gotta prove he can strike with the best of them. One of my favourite takedowns of all time and then a slip into mount.

frank-mir-harai-goshi-roy-nelson-judo-ufc-130.gif

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    Ya, i'm always screaming at the telly for him to takedown whoever and work on a sub but naw, always gotta prove he can strike with the best of them. One of my favourite takedowns of all time and then a slip into mount.

frank-mir-harai-goshi-roy-nelson-judo-ufc-130.gif

Props to the ring maker, I'm surprised the foundations of the building held up

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

The thing about the fitch choke, is that even if mazzagati left it go for another second or two, fitch would more than likely have been alright after waking up. Imagine the torque and pressure Mir generates on his knee bars, another two seconds of that and lesnar's leg literally could have snapped in half

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭EuskalHerria

Jimi Manuwa v Rumble Johnston at UFC 191

Huge fight for Jimi, best of luck to him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Tobyglen

John Kavanagh didn't handle that particularly well for a guy of his experience, he had a lot of open goals that he missed out on (cases of deaths in boxing/rugby as opposed to MMA, reference to MMA of not being a gentlemanly game by Tom McGurk??, not mentioning the boom in participation numbers in gyms now where kids practice karate/martial arts and learn discipline, not remembering cases of guys being stood down for concussion/head injuries). He allowed himself to get bullied by Eoghan Corry who was just spouting the same rubbish about it being a fad. Look at rugby, imagine if it was an immature sport with recent cases of gouging, kicks/grabbing/squeezing testicles, headbutting, stamping etc, that would too be looked at alarmingly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Depp

whole picture segment was rediculous aswel, just showed a few of the worst examples, could find you plenty of pictures as bad or even worse of rugby players after or even during matches it was annoying

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,395 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

Depp wrote: »
    whole picture segment was rediculous aswel, just showed a few of the worst examples, could find you plenty of pictures as bad or even worse of rugby players after or even during matches it was annoying

Pictures were prob lifted from sherdog too :D

Pictures were prob lifted from sherdog too :D

More than likely! was surprised they didnt jump on rory and robbie after 189 aswel!

Sensationalising, the program got what it wanted, everyone talking about it.

Shame Kavanagh didn't expose it, I can only imagine what McGregor would have done under that line of questioning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Tobyglen wrote: »
    John Kavanagh didn't handle that particularly well for a guy of his experience, he had a lot of open goals that he missed out on (cases of deaths in boxing/rugby as opposed to MMA, reference to MMA of not being a gentlemanly game by Tom McGurk??, not mentioning the boom in participation numbers in gyms now where kids practice karate/martial arts and learn discipline, not remembering cases of guys being stood down for concussion/head injuries). He allowed himself to get bullied by Eoghan Corry who was just spouting the same rubbish about it being a fad. Look at rugby, imagine if it was an immature sport with recent cases of gouging, kicks/grabbing/squeezing testicles, headbutting, stamping etc, that would too be looked at alarmingly.

In fairness to Kavanagh he didn't really have the chance to jump on anything. McGurk was spouting shite and moving on to spout more shite before Kavanagh could respond to anything.

He was also led to believe the debate was going to be between himself and Corry. McGurk clearly taking a side in the debate said it all about the intentions of the "debate" really.

Paully D wrote: »
    In fairness to Kavanagh he didn't really have the chance to jump on anything. McGurk was spouting shite and moving on to spout more shite before Kavanagh could respond to anything.

He was also led to believe the debate was going to be between himself and Corry. McGurk clearly taking a side in the debate said it all about the intentions of the "debate" really.
    He's still should have stood stronger for me, easy wins missed out on. He's not a novice at this stage and schooling them should have been easy pickings for him. Corry's points were actually farcical, every sport that's successful has got marketed to the 9s- look at the Premiership ffs? Originated because of the demise of boxing??? 3 months after the biggest & most financially successful fight of all time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

Seen Fedor wants Werdum rematch, no way do he deserve

And werdum wants to co main the aldo mcgregor fight. A heavy weight champ fighting before a fw champ is mad but i guess with his ppv points, conor will make him a ton of money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭dickwod1

Personally I dont know why people even bother to appear on or give interviews to shows like that one on TV3, The MMA world doesn't need to make these people understand/like MMA,
    Joe Duffy Radio1 for example, twice he talked about the UFC/MMA and both times he didn't listen to one word from the people who knew MMA, When Andrew from SevereMMA was on he was repulsed by the word "severe" before the interview even began ffs
    Complete waste of time talking to these old farts, their regular viewers/listener's have the same mentality as the presenter too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

dickwod1 wrote: »
    Personally I dont know why people even bother to appear on or give interviews to shows like that one on TV3, The MMA world doesn't need to make these people understand/like MMA,
    Joe Duffy Radio1 for example, twice he talked about the UFC/MMA and both times he didn't listen to one word from the people who knew MMA, When Andrew from SevereMMA was on he was repulsed by the word "severe" before the interview even began ffs
    Complete waste of time talking to these old farts, their regular viewers/listener's have the same mentality as the presenter too

Here's the link to the Joe Duffy piece with McGahon for anyone who missed it/wants to re-listen:

http://severemma.com/2015/04/audio-andrew-mcgahon-on-rte-radios-liveline/

It's hilarious :pac:

"Here's Andrew McGahon from SEVEEEEEEEEERE MMA as it's called" - :pac:

Duffy - "in a sport where you're allowed to kick someone in the head. Knee someone in the head"

McGahon - "you're only allowed to do that from a standing position"

Duffy - "oh well, that's reassuring"

:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

I actually came across an interview with yer man from severe mma being interviewed by an American journalist bout conor during the Boston event. Great interview like seeing those who interview being interviewed

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭TimRiggins

If anyone hasn't seen Dominic Cruz on the MMA Hour I'd check it out, He fairly tears into TJ and Ludwig.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 537 ✭✭✭clever user name

TimRiggins wrote: »
    If anyone hasn't seen Dominic Cruz on the MMA Hour I'd check it out, He fairly tears into TJ and Ludwig.

Never seen Cruz like that, must have been trying the McGregor method. He should worry more about getting that dodgy knee fixed.

Anyone think he will get a title shot straight away? He probably deserves it in fairness, albeit I don't think it's in his best interest to jump straight into that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭TimRiggins

Never seen Cruz like that, must have been trying the McGregor method. He should worry more about getting that dodgy knee fixed.

Anyone think he will get a title shot straight away? He probably deserves it in fairness, albeit I don't think it's in his best interest to jump straight into that.

He has too, Faber won't fight TJ and Assuncao is injured. I think Dom beats him to be honest. Can't wait for it.

Would love to see Thomas Almedia against Faber.

Does everyone think they'll put another title fight on with McGregor/Aldo? Cowboy against RDA on with it and it'd do huge numbers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,634 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

It's hard to deny him if he wants it.
    20-1, 11 straights wins currently,

He has too, Faber won't fight TJ and Assuncao is injured. I think Dom beats him to be honest. Can't wait for it.

I think he beats him too, but straight after being out for a year and with 1 fight in god knows how long?! I'm not so sure! I'm hoping he takes a different fight first.
    Does everyone think they'll put another title fight on with McGregor/Aldo? Cowboy against RDA on with it and it'd do huge numbers.

Absolutely, they would be mad not too. Would love to see that fight.

Any word on Chris vs Rockhold yet? I know he was holding out for New York but that ain't happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Pulse8

https://twitter.com/DiegoSanchezUFC/status/626912081258741760

145?? Must be considering he says 'new division'. Crazy!! Who's the big name? Frankie? Chad? Lamas?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,258 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

145?? Must be considering he says 'new division'. Crazy!! Who's the big name? Frankie? Chad? Lamas?

Someone mentioned Frankie but Diego replied saying he's not "there yet".

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 34 redmicky

Heavy weight, a return to the glory days of early UFC.
    Sanchez v Fedor, it would break all PPV records.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭John_D80

Can he really make 145? At his age thats a big ask.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,504 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Sanchez vs. Guida 2, I'm sure of it.

John_D80 wrote: »
    Can he really make 145? At his age thats a big ask.

He's a small WW, and a little soft. If he cleaned up his diet he's be there in no time.
    If he needs it, there's the option of Dolce or somebody else to help him out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭MartyMcFly84

He's a small WW, and a little soft. If he cleaned up his diet he's be there in no time.

He looked pretty drained making 155 I am not sure if 145 is such a great idea for him. Less is not always more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,439 ✭✭✭weemcd

Mark Hunt tweeted earlier he's fighting at 194 in Melbourne, any idea who against? He's been training with Soa in AKA Thailand so hopefully he'll be in a bit of shape and not cut ridiculous amounts of weight like he usually does.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,405 ✭✭✭xtal191

He looked pretty drained making 155 I am not sure if 145 is such a great idea for him. Less is not always more.

Thats from his last fight, doesn't look that bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭Ken Shamrock

xtal191 wrote: »

Thats from his last fight, doesn't look that bad.

He doesn't look too bad, but that's at 155, 145 Is a different story.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭CurryFlavoured

That's going to end badly. He's Conor's height and more bulky/not as lean. He doesn't know how to exert his size either since he doesn't really wrestle at all anymore. He might win against Guida but if he fights anyone half decent he hasn't a hope.

He doesn't know how to exert his size either since he doesn't really wrestle at all anymore..

That's something I've always found puzzling. His wrestling is decent, at least it was when he used it early on. Why doesn't he use it more? His striking defense is shocking. No head or foot movement whatsoever. Sure, he's got a hell of a chin, but any decent striker will easily out-point him. If you ask me, he's actually lost his last 5 fights.

In saying that, if he can make 145 without completely f**k himself I reckon he could do OK.

Mellor wrote: »

I really think 155 is his limit. Didn't he miss weight a few times as well at 155? Maybe im wrong there.

Worst thing is though, Sanchez is the kinda guy that will kill himself to get to 145 if he has to. For better or worse. I'd genuinely worry about his health come fight night if he was fighting at 145.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,258 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

That's something I've always found puzzling. His wrestling is decent, at least it was when he used it early on. Why doesn't he use it more? His striking defense is shocking. No head or foot movement whatsoever. Sure, he's got a hell of a chin, but any decent striker will easily out-point him. If you ask me, he's actually lost his last 5 fights.

In saying that, if he can make 145 without completely f**k himself I reckon he could do OK.

I agree with this.

I really don't want to see Sanchez in the cage any more. He seems like a good dude and each time we see him he's more and more punch drunk. He can barely string a sentence together and the fact that his style of defense is to block punches with his mush isn't doing him any favours.

weemcd wrote: »
    Mark Hunt tweeted earlier he's fighting at 194 in Melbourne, any idea who against? He's been training with Soa in AKA Thailand so hopefully he'll be in a bit of shape and not cut ridiculous amounts of weight like he usually does.

He put up a photo earlier looking lighter than usual, said he is aiming to get down to 115kg ahead of the fight.

John_D80 wrote: »
    I really think 155 is his limit. Didn't he miss weight a few times as well at 155? Maybe im wrong there.

Worst thing is though, Sanchez is the kinda guy that will kill himself to get to 145 if he has to. For better or worse. I'd genuinely worry about his health come fight night if he was fighting at 145.

155 might of been his limit at based on his mass at that point. He he wants to get to 145 he'll just need to lose mass, it's fairly easy. Ideally most will be fat, but it doesn't all need to be. It's not unheakthy at all, just needs to be done ahead of time.

MrStuffins wrote: »
    I agree with this.

I really don't want to see Sanchez in the cage any more. He seems like a good dude and each time we see him he's more and more punch drunk. He can barely string a sentence together and the fact that his style of defense is to block punches with his mush isn't doing him any favours.

Exactly! The Melendez fight was epic, but he's had far too many of those type of fights...can't be good for the head. He's basically become a punching bag that endlessly punches back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭reganreggie

With tougher and more regular ped testing and the iv ban I'd imagine there will be lots of fighters changing weight classes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

How could you possibly enforce the IV ban? I mean how would you test for it?

JJayoo wrote: »
    How could you possibly enforce the IV ban? I mean how would you test for it?

From what everyones saying its something to do with plastics from the bag showing up in the blood, other than that all i can think of is checking for needle marks

Mellor wrote: »
    155 might of been his limit at based on his mass at that point. He he wants to get to 145 he'll just need to lose mass, it's fairly easy. Ideally most will be fat, but it doesn't all need to be. It's not unheakthy at all, just needs to be done ahead of time.

I'm not so sure tbh. In theory yes you're absolutely right but everyone has there limit i think, and I reckon 155 is his. No doubt he'll have a good go at it anyway (if it is 145 he's talking about that is).

Crazy to think him and Kenny Florian contested the TUF final as middleweights!

Exactly! The Melendez fight was epic, but he's had far too many of those type of fights...can't be good for the head. He's basically become a punching bag that endlessly punches back.

Good ol giblert

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Hercule

Was on the same flight as Alastair Overeem today - was coming to Dublin from Heathrow, had a quick chat with him about his next fight and he was smiling and laughing about how JDS is avoiding him - not sure why he's in town, sound lad nonetheless

From what everyones saying its something to do with plastics from the bag showing up in the blood, other than that all i can think of is checking for needle marks

But it's not a total IV ban. They are allowed to use 50ml. So needle marks will show, and their will be some plastic traces too. Plus a glass IV could be used. There will also be some from other environmental factors.
    They were unable to establish a threshold for plastics in cycling as its so variable.

I honestly don't think they'll actively be testing for it. I think it's simply to remove a plausible excuse for plastic traces after blooding doping.
    They will enforce the rule and checking on fighters in the hours after the weighin is probably the best way to catch them.

I was never a fan of Jake Shields but im actually a bit worried about his safety tonight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 colmkelly2015

I was looking at the fight schedule of UFC 190 and am disappointed.

Rousey will destroy Bethe (Who mysteriously went up the BM ranks just before the fight [nothing new there Dana])

The Nog's will both lose IMO, and bouts like Bruno v Franca uninteresting.

In fact, the entire card is built on Ronda, and the rest of the fights just fillers.

Even from an objective POV, 189 was outstanding, with a crazy main card and a heap load of highlight reels. It is sad that the next showcase event is this.

• Advertisement

I was looking at the fight schedule of UFC 190 and am disappointed.

Rousey will destroy Bethe (Who mysteriously went up the BM ranks just before the fight [nothing new there Dana])

The Nog's will both lose IMO, and bouts like Bruno v Franca uninteresting.

In fact, the entire card is built on Ronda, and the rest of the fights just fillers.

Even from an objective POV, 189 was outstanding, with a crazy main card and a heap load of highlight reels. It is sad that the next showcase event is this.

You can't compare this to 189 on any level in fairness, nor can it be called a showcase event because it's not at all.

Cards like 189 come around maybe once every 3 years. Not to mention that it was the headline event of fight week. Aldo/McGregor might be big and UFC 200 should be big but other than these it's back to normal for the foreseeable.

So far as I can see, this card is deliberately tailored to the Brazilian market, which to be fair is probably the biggest, outside of the USA.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement