Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General UFC Chit Chat/News

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭johnpro

jcd5971 wrote: »
    Cool when and where.... And how much lol might go myself

I'll see can I get the poster but it's definitely on Facebook ticket are roughly €25-€35 but I'm open to correction on that

Yeah I'm heading to support Paul, who looked great in his pro debut and tommy who's making his pro debut. Daly and ward should be a good scrap and my mates brother Keith is fighting muai Thai...I haven't a clue about the muai Thai scene in Ireland but a lot of people seem to be excited about that one!

Between battlezone, this and then bamma it's good to see the pro scene picking up abit there's a lot of talented guys making the step up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭but1er

The number of UFC fighters
    Welter 113
    Light 111
    Feather 69
    Middle 68
    Bantam 58
    Fly 36
    Heavy 35
    Light Heavy 34

Just read these numbers shocked how little fighters are in the light heavy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

but1er wrote: »
    The number of UFC fighters
    Welter 113
    Light 111
    Feather 69
    Middle 68
    Bantam 58
    Fly 36
    Heavy 35
    Light Heavy 34

Just read these numbers shocked how little fighters are in the light heavy

probably the average age too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,519 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

probably the average age too!

Average age of all their children maybe! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭jjdonegal

Could an argument be made for more weight classes to even up that number in some areas or even in general?
    Say 265; 235; 205; 195; 185; move 170 to 175 and so on and so on or something similar?
    Obviously I would hate mma to go the way of boxing with multiple champions in a weight class but I personally would love to see a few more weight classes!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,770 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

jjdonegal wrote: »
    Could an argument be made for more weight classes to even up that number in some areas or even in general?
    Say 265; 235; 205; 195; 185; move 170 to 175 and so on and so on or something similar?
    Obviously I would hate mma to go the way of boxing with multiple champions in a weight class but I personally would love to see a few more weight classes!

no, heavy weight has 35 fighters and you want to split it into 2?? ffs

no, heavy weight has 35 fighters and you want to split it into 2?? ffs

No I'm saying in general. That one cud be left alone for the reason you say

No I'm saying in general. That one cud be left alone for the reason you say

The weight classes are grand as they are

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

johnpro wrote: »
    I know it's not UFC related but couldn't find a thread to discuss local shows/fighters...is anyone going to cage kings this Saturday? Mix of k1, muai Thai and mma...I know a few lads competing so hopefully will be a good event with plenty of support!

At a wedding unfortunately. Local lad from Ashbourne (Aaron Brown) defending his belt on the night.

Best of luck to anyone fighting on it. Looks a cracking card.

• Advertisement

The weight classes are grand as they are

Yeah I'm sure most would agree.
    Obviously I'm from a boxing background so I've grown up with numerous weight classes. To give one example I feel the 20lbs jump between 185 and 205 is one that could be split and maybe a look at the 15 splits between 170/185 and 155/170.
    Read a great article proposing 195 a few years back and it's one I'd defo support.
    I would love to see more chances for guys to emulate Penn/Couture and become multiple weight champions as well as the potential of more big title match ups and contender eliminators but each to their own and I'm sure most would agree with your viewpoint.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭but1er

Would love to see closer gaps instead of 15/20 gaps the chances of more "superfights"

Id hate it on another because one the reason i hate boxing for its weight class drives me mad!

Yeah I'm sure most would agree.
    Obviously I'm from a boxing background so I've grown up with numerous weight classes. To give one example I feel the 20lbs jump between 185 and 205 is one that could be split and maybe a look at the 15 splits between 170/185 and 155/170.
    Read a great article proposing 195 a few years back and it's one I'd defo support.
    I would love to see more chances for guys to emulate Penn/Couture and become multiple weight champions as well as the potential of more big title match ups and contender eliminators but each to their own and I'm sure most would agree with your viewpoint.

boxing weeight cutting is massively different from mma and iirc in boxing boxers usually have to step in the ring within a certain weight also?

boxing weeight cutting is massively different from mma and iirc in boxing boxers usually have to step in the ring within a certain weight also?

Yep fighting within a certain weight indeed. Mayweatger recently at 147 for example whilst also holding belts at 154. It's just as was mentioned above id lobe the potential for more superfights which closer weight divisions could bring.
    Obviously there is a danger of saturation which boxing may have now; very small gaps between some weight classes. For me 10lb jumps are perfect and I love the layout of the mma 125/135/145/155 weight classes. Personally have always felt the jump then to 170 could be slightly narrowed but as I said I'm probably in the minority in my thinking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭Beersmith

The lower the weight classes the bigger % 10pounds makes, at the heavier weights the gaps need to be bigger. I think they are spot on.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 MMATycoon

I'd absolutely hate there to be more weight classes. They're already thin enough as they are at the extreme weights.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,948 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Vitor vs Hendo announced for Fight Night card in Brazil in November, wish we had that for Dublin, makes me angry

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,671 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Good intentions behind more weight classes, but the ones you suggest will only thin out MW, LHW and HW further.

If you want to even it out, then split WW into 165 and 175 SuperWW (or light MW), leave the rest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

No limit on heavy weights, I wanna see a 350 pound Stefan Struve

• Registered Users Posts: 1 eazyc22

any one cath the khabib diaz scrap?

JJayoo wrote: »
    No limit on heavy weights, I wanna see a 350 pound Stefan Struve

isd82cc.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

Think the divisions are grand, the lighter heavyweights use their quickness or quicky stick on a few pounds. What did struve weigh in at last week?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Depp

think he was just under the limit, was talking on embedded about having to cut ten pounds or so

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭EuskalHerria

@arielhelwani: Sefo just announced that Palhares has been stripped of his belt and suspended indefinitely. http://t.co/ltcipwwDta

https://twitter.com/arielhelwani/status/628615246652026880

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

@arielhelwani: Sefo just announced that Palhares has been stripped of his belt and suspended indefinitely. http://t.co/ltcipwwDta

https://twitter.com/arielhelwani/status/628615246652026880

I'd say Sefo is absolutely sickened. Palhares is a knob but he's an excellent fighter. The whole thing about him holding on to the kimura has completely overshadowed what should be an amazing win, submitting Jake Shields is a very impressive feat

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,924 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

And rightly so. He's an absolute danger to anyone he faces. Such a shame, waste of a talent.

Looks to be a good show today on mma hour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Mir vs Arlovski set for UFC 191. Nice.

Matt Brown vs Kevin Gastelum headlines in November. Also a great looking fight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

:pac::pac::pac:

09b7e25084c0de65529b1a27ab4da9b2.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭ASOT

Paully D wrote: »
    :pac::pac::pac:

09b7e25084c0de65529b1a27ab4da9b2.png

Seen that myself haha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,852 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

ASOT wrote: »
    Seen that myself haha

What's that all about?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,519 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    What's that all about?

They meant to say George Groves lol.

• Advertisement

What's that all about?

They were suppose to tag George Groves in the tweet but tagged GSP twitter went into meltdown for a minute.

Also news wise Jury has changed camp and dropped down to FW looking forward to his debut!

dulux99 wrote: »
    I'd say Sefo is absolutely sickened. Palhares is a knob but he's an excellent fighter. The whole thing about him holding on to the kimura has completely overshadowed what should be an amazing win, submitting Jake Shields is a very impressive feat

He was dominated on the ground until the eye gouging

Kelvin Gastelum v Matt Brown headlines Fight Night 79 (November) in Mexico. Gastelum got his wish of being allowed to drop back down to 170. It'll be interesting to see how he does with the weight cut again after numerous problems in the past.

Kelvin Gastelum v Matt Brown headlines Fight Night 79 (November) in Mexico. Gastelum got his wish of being allowed to drop back down to 170. It'll be interesting to see how he does with the weight cut again after numerous problems in the past.

I like kelvin a lot but he is to pudgy for welter. Unless he begs Dolce to work with him again he's screwed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭jcd5971

ASOT wrote: »
    I like kelvin a lot but he is to pudgy for welter. Unless he begs Dolce to work with him again he's screwed.

God help him if he misses weight again though, I'd say dana will run out of patience

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭MartyMcFly84

Discipline around food for many fighters this is the toughest aspect of training, and where they fall down.

Sometimes changing eating habits of a lifetime can more difficult than getting up and going to the gym.

He comes from a Mexican family so I am sure he is surrounded by all kinds of incredible food all the time.

Lamas v Diego Sanchez also announced for the Mexico card.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭John_D80

At FW I'm assuming??

Wow so Diego really is going to try and have a go at 145!!!! He's an animal buts he's totally nuts.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭EuskalHerria

Seems outrageous to give him Lamas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

If you thought Cat Zingano was dumb as hell for charging a judoka with a flying knee then this surely cements the fact she has lead for brains and wouldn't fare much better in a rematch.
    She kept saying things like that so I said, ‘OK, let’s do this.’ What better way to put on an epic fight than a flying knee? I expected us to continue to fight. I didn’t realize we were going to do a jiu-jitsu match where I’m flying at her and all of a sudden she’s going for my arm again. I guess that’s one disappointment I had. If I had known she was going to be going for my arms, I would have gone about it differently. I agreed to her kind of fight instead of my kind of fight, and that won’t happen again.

http://www.cagepotato.com/wtf-quote-of-the-day-cat-zingano-didnt-expect-that-ronda-rousey-would-go-for-her-arm-at-ufc-184/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

Davei141 wrote: »
    If you thought Cat Zingano was dumb as hell for charging a judoka with a flying knee then this surely cements the fact she has lead for brains and wouldn't fare much better in a rematch.

http://www.cagepotato.com/wtf-quote-of-the-day-cat-zingano-didnt-expect-that-ronda-rousey-would-go-for-her-arm-at-ufc-184/

She's right. How could have she known that Ronda would go for the arm?

*insert highlight reel here*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭MartyMcFly84

"If I had known she was going to be going for my arms" - Oh dear.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,227 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

She'd armbarred opponents in 8 of her 10 fights before Zingano lol

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭jcd5971

Saipanne wrote: »
    She's right. How could have she known that Ronda would go for the arm?

*insert highlight reel here*

Lol my dead granny knows Ronda ears arms for breakfast

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,852 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Seems like a bad attempt to get Rhonda to agree to a rematch

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 537 ✭✭✭clever user name

Seems like a bad attempt to get Rhonda to agree to a rematch

She'll be waiting a while for that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 537 ✭✭✭clever user name

Hendricks vs Woodley announced for 192.

Hendricks via a boring decision. Hopefully I'm wrong.

CatFromHue wrote: »
    She'd armbarred opponents in 8 of her 10 fights before Zingano lol
    I actually forgot it was only 8/10 for a second.
    Hendricks vs Woodley announced for 192.

Hendricks via a boring decision. Hopefully I'm wrong.
    Title eliminator?
    Timing makes sense seeing as they'll probably announce Lawlor v Conduit for 193 very soon

Kampmann who essentially replaced Ludwig at Alpha Male has now stepped down.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement