Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General UFC Chit Chat/News

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,437 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

scudzilla wrote: »
    IMO Zuffa have brought this on themselves, way too many events.

3 years ago i used to really look forward to an event, now i've not got a clue really who's on what card and when, they seem to be coming every 2/3 weeks.

How the hell can they keep putting on quality cards with that sort of frequency

Agree totally.
    For a while there they were having an event every week. Its only common sense that they can't keep going at that rate.
    In my opinion they should probably only have an event once a month with a few "fight night"/"fight for the troops" type cards thrown in throughout the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭seadnamac

Mellor wrote: »
    Fitch is injuried, he wasn't snubbed.

Guys, Fitch was 100% getting a shot if he beat BJ at 127, or in their replay.

So is BJ, they're both due back around the same time. Their rematch had been slotted in for UFC 137 but Joe Silva has nixed it due to lack of interest (whether real or perceived). Sounds like a snub to me. Especially considering most people think Fitch won the first fight.

What if they did Evans v Matt Hamill?
    If Rashad wins then he fights the winner of Rampage v Jones (which will probably be Jones) and gets his title shot.
    If Hamill wins then he gets to fight the loser of Rampage v Jones, which will probably give him a chance of a rematch against Rampage.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,931 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Dean09 wrote: »
    What if they did Evans v Matt Hamill?
    If Rashad wins then he fights the winner of Rampage v Jones (which will probably be Jones) and gets his title shot.
    If Hamill wins then he gets to fight the loser of Rampage v Jones, which will probably give him a chance of a rematch against Rampage.

Would you seriously be interested in having another Rampage/Hamill Main event??

Would you seriously be interested in having another Rampage/Hamill Main event??

No not at all but they don't have a lot of options other than to pull Rashad from the main event.
    If they did it though they wouldn't have to have it as a main event. If they did I'm sure their ppv figures would seriously suffer.

• Advertisement

Dean09 wrote: »
    No not at all but they don't have a lot of options other than to pull Rashad from the main event.
    If they did it though they wouldn't have to have it as a main event. If they did I'm sure their ppv figures would seriously suffer.

Would Rashad drop down to co main event? I doubt it, he's on a cut of PPV's so would like to be at the top i'd say.

And yes, they WOULD make Rampage/Hamill a main event, they've made far worse fights Main Events in the past.

The only way all these weak cards are gonna stop is if people stop buying tickets for events and PPV's, unfortunately that won't happen so i guess we're stuck with it

• Registered Users Posts: 19,193 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

I disagree with a lot of what is being said here.

Yes, there are more fights these days, but one of the problems back when UFC were growing was that fighters didn't get to fight as often as they should. Now they can. Injuries will always happen, they always have. There's nothing you can do about it it's the nature of the sport!

I don't particularly watch UFC events just for the Main Events. UFC cards are stacked from top to bottom and now because they have more shows and many many more fighters, the cards are ridiculous. Look a the last card. The undercard had Bowles v Mizugaki, Tavares v Simpson, Guillard v Roller, Sots v Dos Anjos, Njokuani v Winner........... madness!

And nowadays we can watch ALL of these fights! When a UFC show comes around we get to watch 10 - 12 fights on the card. It's madness.

The UFC product of today is much superior than the past IMO.

In the last year we've had Main Events like Silva v Sonnen, Edgar v Maynard, Lesnar v Velasquez, GSP v Kos, Silva v Belfort, Shogun v Jones, GSP v Shields. All Massive main-events. Granted, not all Main Events are equal, but it's a small price to pay for the product they continue to put out. And just because the Main Event might not be of Championship standard, that's not to say it's not gonna be an awesome fight (See Kongo v Barry)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭Devastator

ESPN mentioned lil Nog possibly getting moved to fight Evans. Makes no sense to me, 2-2 in UFC 1 of those wins by split decision and both defeats by decision. Not very exciting IMO.

Hamill makes no sense either after losing to Rampage in his last fight. Why put him in a main event/title decider.

I blame Jon Jones(or his manager/doctor/whoever said his hands were f***ed). Rashad should have been fighting him & then we wouldnt have any of this nonsense

MrStuffins wrote: »
    I disagree with a lot of what is being said here.

Yes, there are more fights these days, but one of the problems back when UFC were growing was that fighters didn't get to fight as often as they should. Now they can. Injuries will always happen, they always have. There's nothing you can do about it it's the nature of the sport!

I don't particularly watch UFC events just for the Main Events. UFC cards are stacked from top to bottom and now because they have more shows and many many more fighters, the cards are ridiculous. Look a the last card. The undercard had Bowles v Mizugaki, Tavares v Simpson, Guillard v Roller, Sots v Dos Anjos, Njokuani v Winner........... madness!

And nowadays we can watch ALL of these fights! When a UFC show comes around we get to watch 10 - 12 fights on the card. It's madness.

The UFC product of today is much superior than the past IMO.

In the last year we've had Main Events like Silva v Sonnen, Edgar v Maynard, Lesnar v Velasquez, GSP v Kos, Silva v Belfort, Shogun v Jones, GSP v Shields. All Massive main-events. Granted, not all Main Events are equal, but it's a small price to pay for the product they continue to put out. And just because the Main Event might not be of Championship standard, that's not to say it's not gonna be an awesome fight (See Kongo v Barry)

I totally see where you're coming from, but a few years back i'd be getting excited and worked up for a card, always stay up till 5/6 am to watch, now they're on so frequently it's just like 'meh', i'll download it when i get up in the morning and watch it Sunday Afternoon (Unless i'm working then i'll watch it)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,193 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

I totally see where you're coming from, but a few years back i'd be getting excited and worked up for a card, always stay up till 5/6 am to watch, now they're on so frequently it's just like 'meh', i'll download it when i get up in the morning and watch it Sunday Afternoon (Unless i'm working then i'll watch it)

I'm exactly the same. I don't get excited for cards anymore really unles sit's a massive ME. And it's probably because they're so frequent. But it doesn't make me enjoy the cards any less

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭fightireland

....if all of this pulling out business continues than my prediction that Dan Henderson will hold every belt everywhere by the end of 2011 just might come true :cool::cool::cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭seadnamac

How about King Mo? Had been in training for a fight against Roger Gracie on the Fedor/Hendo undercard until Gracie pulled out. Could be a worth a shout...

Roy Nelson v CroCop at UFC 137

Just confirmed on Roys Twitter

Hard one to call, they can both be so good or so fcukin bad

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Xlami

http://twitter.com/#!/JoshKoscheck

Kos wants to fight Rashad.

I agree with Mr. Stuffins and really enjoy the frequent events. Still get hyped for the big fights and enjoy watching the under card. At the end of the day it's not really about the fighter but more the style for example; Rampage Vs Hamaill and Mir Vs Nelson never really appealled to me but I was looking forward to that card for weeks for DJ vs Torres and Stann vs Santiago. However anyone with ESPN is getting a great deal. Imagine ahving to pay 25euro for every main card. Wouldn't be so complimentary then. For example 133 is a good solid card but if I've already spent 150+ on cards this year I'm not gonna be buying it. I really hope the days UFC are on PPV here are a long way away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Oh_Noes

I'd ordinarily go with Crocop on that but when you do the MMAth, Nelson KOed Schaub and Schaub destroyed CroCop so by that logic, Nelson should take it handily.

I can't see it working out that way at all though. I'm actually excited for that fight.

Re Evans and Davis, I heard someone on the radio earlier suggest that a likely outcome would be Franklin is bumped up to fight Evans, Matushenko is bumped up to fight Nog and they get in a replacement for Matushenko to fight Gustavson, or Gustavson is just dropped from the card. That seems to be the most likely outcome to me unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭weemcd

Machida & Ortiz should be absolutely kicking themselves, Rashad has been out over a year now and this is bound to have an effect in the ring, real opportunity missed imo.

Ortiz will not have an opportunity like this again, ever. Some rumours have Rua coming off the Rio card and into this matchup, Evans - Rua interests me a lot more than the Griffin fight, and its an inside line to a title shot. Rio card being such a marque event and the chance to fight in his home country though, I can't see Rua taking this.

it's a headscratcher, very interested to see what UFC can come up with.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Xlami

DW via twitter
    Get ready philly for Rashad Evans vs Tito Ortiz!!! Aug 6th LIVE on PPV at the Wells Fargo Center!!!!!!

Tito's purse is gonna be ridiculous for this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭weemcd

Spoke too soon.

Fair play to Tito, this is all very interesting, I fúcking love this sport. Chuck Lidell might have to be comitted if Tito wins this and is in line for the title.

yep, that's hitting all the major sites now.

IMO this is made for Tito and he'd jump at the chance, if he beats Rashad he'll be straight into the mix for a title shot, and if he loses then he'll just say "What do ya expect, i took this on short notice@

Tito can't lose in this one
    Xlami wrote: »
    DW via twitter

Tito's purse is gonna be ridiculous for this one.

Like i said a couple days ago, Tito cannot lose here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Oh_Noes

That really is awesome news. Fair play to Tito and I hope he gets the same outcome that he got against Bader. He deserves it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,322 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Can we say the same about BJ or Condit now?
    I don't think so, it will depend on the fight.
    If they have a brawl, the winner gets a shot, if its boringm, then the loser doesn't get a shot soon
    JoeyJJ wrote: »
    Tito v Chael, didn't he say he might take a 205'er out on the way back to 180.
    He wasn't serious
    seadnamac wrote: »
    So is BJ, they're both due back around the same time. Their rematch had been slotted in for UFC 137 but Joe Silva has nixed it due to lack of interest (whether real or perceived). Sounds like a snub to me. Especially considering most people think Fitch won the first fight.
    I don't know when BJ is back, but Fitch is out until september, would only give him 6 weeks camp, enough time?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭The Left Hook

WOW i cant belive Tito is taking this fight now. His payoff is going to be huge methinks.

Crocop fighting again ? ? Is he looking to retire on a win ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭SDTimeout

Congo vs Meathead set for UFC 137

SDTimeout wrote: »
    I'm liking this one

SDTimeout wrote: »
    Mellor wrote: »
    I'm liking this one

Same here, gonna be a tight fight, big step up for Mitrione, hope he wins though as IMO Kongo is one of the most over rated and over hyped HW's in UFC.

So much potential yet never fulfilled

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭conor678

Question for those who download fights. What websites do you download from? Any help is much appreciated!

It seems the fight is finally back on. Hopefully it goes off without a hitch this time. Can't wait for this one!

As expected, fall is the time of reckoning for Gray Maynard (10-0-1 MMA, 8-0-1 UFC) and Frankie Edgar's (13-1-1 MMA, 8-1-1 UFC) unfinished business.

UFC officials today announced that the champ and No. 1 contender will meet a third time in the headliner of UFC 136, which takes place Oct. 8 at Houston's Toyota Center.

MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) reported earlier that Maynard targeted October for his return date after being cleared by his doctor for training, and Edgar and his team expected to return that month, as well.

Although contracts have not been signed for the bout, verbal agreements are in place according to sources close to both fighters.

Maynard injured his knee in preparation for a highly anticipated rematch with lightweight champ Frankie Edgar at UFC 130. The injury came to light after Edgar withdrew from the bout with a back injury, which delayed the meeting until further notice.

Maynard said that a reported knee surgery never happened and that he instead treated the joint with rehabilitation, though he did undergo surgery in Los Angeles for an elbow injury.

This past week, Edgar's reps told MMAjunkie.com the champ has been cleared to fight and could be ready to fight by October.

"Houston makes sense, but I don't know if that's what the UFC wants," Maynard concurred. "I just wait until I get the contract."

Edgar and Maynard fought to a split draw this past January at UFC 125 in a fight considered by many to be an early candidate for "Fight of the Year" honors. Edgar was nearly knocked out in the first round but came back to even out the scorecards. Maynard believed he had done enough to win the fight but admitted to running low on gas in later rounds.

UFC president Dana White initially put down the idea of an immediate rematch but later changed his mind – to Maynard's great relief – and booked the UFC 130 match.

"The Bully" holds a win over Edgar from three years ago at UFC Fight Night 13.
    http://mmajunkie.com/news/24415/frankie-edgar-and-gray-maynard-headline-ufc-136-in-houston.mma?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+mmajunkie+%28MMAjunkie.com+Feed%29&utm_content=Twitter

conor678 wrote: »
    Question for those who download fights. What websites do you download from? Any help is much appreciated!
    Most people just watch a stream or online video rather than download a soft copy

• Registered Users Posts: 29,830 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

conor678 wrote: »

If I can't stay up to watch a stream, I download them the next morning. Will send you a PM.

• Advertisement

I didn't mean just live streams, there's plenty of places you can watch online videos (like youtube style) with having to download a full version. I find it far handier, easy to pick out certain fights only, or skip the filler.

mma-core.com is pretty popular

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement