Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General UFC Chit Chat/News

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

weemcd wrote: »
    Anyone watch the preview for this following Duffy in Tristar? They showed him doing a 'shark tank' which involved a sparring a fresh opponent every minute, in the video they said he had been doing that for 43 minutes. Was he leaving a bit too much in the gym or am I looking into it too much?

43 minutes :eek: thats pretty impressive if they are going in anyway hard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

I'd really like to know who it was that knocked him out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,460 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

martyos121 wrote: »
    I'd really like to know who it was that knocked him out.

I'd really like to slap whoever it was who knocked him out.

Actually maybe run over him in my car. Safer that way...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭Devastator

DrPhilG wrote: »

:eek:
    Are you Ronda Rousey's ma? lol

http://www.mmafighting.com/2015/10/14/9535625/ronda-rouseys-mom-on-coach-i-would-run-over-him-with-my-car-if-there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

DrPhilG wrote: »

Or drop him into an actual shark tank. The irony would be incredible.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

He was sparing with Rory is what I heard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,387 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

Maybe he tried to do a Sage flip?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,280 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

Maybe he tried to do a Sage flip?

Holy **** the end bit, he's like Ken out of Street Fighter.

lol whats the lad at who's breakdancing? Is he the MMA Michael Jackson but wears 1 sock instead of 1 glove?

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭csallmighty

Devastator wrote: »
    lol whats the lad at who's breakdancing? Is he the MMA Michael Jackson but wears 1 sock instead of 1 glove?

Maybe he worn it off with all the dancing he's doing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Magny v Wonderboy added to UFC 195. December and January are going to be insane.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,437 ✭✭✭weemcd

weemcd wrote: »
    I am devastated for Duffy. This was going to be his coming out party, stage was set, he had a game opponent who liked a rumble but one who could be caught on the chin. I didn't know how it was gonna go but my instincts told me that Duffy would be far too cute for him, box him smoothly and get the ko or perhaps sneak a sub.

Huge setback for him, looks like Poirer will get a new opponent and Duffy is now waiting.

I can't imagine how depressing that would be.

Anyone watch the preview for this following Duffy in Tristar? They showed him doing a 'shark tank' which involved a sparring a fresh opponent every minute, in the video they said he had been doing that for 43 minutes. Was he leaving a bit too much in the gym or am I looking into it too much?
    jimmii wrote: »
    43 minutes :eek: thats pretty impressive if they are going in anyway hard.

That's the link above. 43 minutes was the time. I'm no expert but perhaps a bit much if he was continuing to spar like that so close to the fight.

I am gutted about this.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 4,388 Mod ✭✭✭✭TherapyBoy

Got an email from Reebok about my review :(
    Hello TherapyBoy,

Your opinion is very important to us and the Reebok community. We appreciate you taking the time to write a review on UFC Ireland Map Tee. Unfortunately your review did not meet our guidelines for posting on our site.

Please be aware that as per our guidelines, we have not posted your review as it contains information that is not relevant. We would be happy to post your rating and review if you resubmit a version without this content.
    We encourage you to review our guidelines and resubmit your review on UFC Ireland Map Tee.

TherapyBoy wrote: »
    Got an email from Reebok about my review :(

"we have not posted your review as it contains information that is not relevant."

information = N.Ireland (i.e. Not relevant in Reebok's eyes lol)

Another good lineup on The MMA Hour this week - Peter Carroll, John Kavanagh, Ben Rothwell, Poirier and others. Belfort was supposed to be one but his reps asked Ariel not to ask certain questions which he refused to do so they pulled him from the show. :pac:

Starts at 5pm our time:

http://www.mmafighting.com/2015/10/26/9608666/the-mma-hour-with-vitor-belfort-alexander-gustafsson-ben-rothwell

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭ASOT

I usually wait until my journey to work to listen to it but that's to good a line up not to listen live, can't wait to hear what Ben has to say. When I was talking to his over the weekend he said he loved his time here and was severely gutted he couldnt fight on the card.

John Kavanagh not on the show any more per Ariel. Shame, I was looking forward to hearing what he had to say about UFC Dublin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,910 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

I see Ais was on? Must catch this on replay later. I'm guessing with Vitor, the rep said:

You can talk about Cheezus
    You cannot talk about Testostehonay

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    I see Ais was on? Must catch this on replay later.

Only noticed that now too. I had to switch off after Jon Jones' manager was on, so they must have got her in as a replacement after Kavanagh had to bounce and Belfort pulled out.

Looking forward to catching that later.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,748 ✭✭✭rolexeagle1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

srumball wrote: »

I earn more than most ufc fighters in a year. And I'm not rich or anything. Hardly seems worth it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,768 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

srumball wrote: »

from rebok

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,460 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Every single event these days someone will post the fighter's sponsor money as if it's their entire purse...

Paddy probably made $10k for the fight. Smolka (based on his 189 money) made at least $30k.

I'd be very surprised if both guys didn't get an extra undisclosed bonus based on them being bumped to main event.

So Smolka and Holohan did not make a combined $5,000. They made at least a combined $45,000 and probably more.

Yeah I read somewhere they made about 50k each total. People go crazy when rebook sponsor money gets announced every fight card. Yes it's sh*t sponsorship money but it's only a fraction of their fight pay.

Gas hearing Dana defend it 'The complaints are ridiculous. This is a home run for Reebok'......

Yes, yes it is but it's a kick in the hole for the fighters.

Anyway, MMA Hour was good craic. Ariel was seriously pissed off all the way through over the Vitor thing. Great to hear Petesy give his view on things as well.

BJs website is worst than Joe.ie click bait central. Should be banned from the forum

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 11,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. Manager

ASOT wrote: »
    BJs website is worst than Joe.ie click bait central. Should be banned from the forum

Agree completely but in defence of whatever mong runs that site they did state it was sponsorship money and not total purse. Above poster may have missed that and got carried away with himself.

‘UFC Fight Night 76’ Reebok Pay: Main Eventers make combined $5,000 sponsorship money

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,438 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

On the whole fighter pay issue, Myles Jury recently did a breakdown of the average fighters pay. It really highlights how badly the fighters are affected by the reebok deal. The pay is fairly poor and the sponsor money used to prop them up financially but that's all gone now.
    Sorry if it was posted already but I didn't notice it.
    He said:
    A fighter wins and earns $20,000:

$2,000 (gym / team)

$4,000 (management)

$6,000 (taxes)

$500 (medicals)

$1,000 (coaching)

$1,000 (Misc.)

Total Expenses: $14,500

He made an educated guess using his own experiences that a fighter who has an entry level contract with the UFC ($10,000 show/$10,000 win) will profit $5,500 for a win and $1,500 for a loss.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

Reebok payout for the entire card was $77,500 for 20 fighters. UFC Payouts were id say just over $300,000 not including FoTN and PoTN bonuses.

• Advertisement

6 month medical suspension for Pendred though he may be back a little quicker if cleared by an ENT. Could be summer before he's back in the octagon.

Paddy, Seery and Daly all good to go again after a week of mandatory rest so it'd be great if they all get matched up for London at the end of February.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,886 ✭✭✭stephenl15

Paully D wrote: »
    6 month medical suspension for Pendred though he may be back a little quicker if cleared by an ENT. Could be summer before he's back in the octagon.

Paddy, Seery and Daly all good to go again after a week of mandatory rest so it'd be great if they all get matched up for London at the end of February.

6 months:eek: I'm assuming that's alot. What did he say he had? A few bumps and bruises?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

Usually 6 month suspension is for something broken ?

dave1982 wrote: »
    Usually 6 month suspension is for something broken ?

Was just about to post this, mandatory 6 months for anything broken.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭but1er

He did say his pride was broken?

I'd say it's his nose

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

Six months for all the broken hearts in Ireland...

Did cathal personally murder all of your mothers or something??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Did cathal personally murder all of your mothers or something??

Not mine anyway. She out boxed him easily enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,615 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

El Guapo! wrote: »
    On the whole fighter pay issue, Myles Jury recently did a breakdown of the average fighters pay. It really highlights how badly the fighters are affected by the reebok deal. The pay is fairly poor and the sponsor money used to prop them up financially but that's all gone now.
    Sorry if it was posted already but I didn't notice it.
    He said:
    I don't know how tax works for fighters, and im not saying he is lying. But if he genuinely got taxed 6k out of 12k after expenses (50%), then he needs a new accountant.

Mellor wrote: »
    I don't know how tax works for fighters, and im not saying he is lying. But if he genuinely got taxed 6k out of 12k after expenses (50%), then he needs a new accountant.

Is the tax not $6,000 out of $20,000 (30%)?

$4,000 (20% of the purse) on management seems excessive too.

It'll probably be the standard rate but there's no way he's (or other fighters who are paying 20% to management) getting value for money there. Many fighters wouldn't be the sharpest tools in the box I know, but there's got to be a lot of stuff that "management" are taking a cut for that could quite easily be done themselves, even by the ones that aren't as smart.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,615 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Paully D wrote: »
    Is the tax not $6,000 out of $20,000 (30%)?
    I don't think so. The other fees are usually considered "business expenses" and are deductible (same system here in Oz). But maybe all the taxes do actually add up to 50% depending on where the fight is held.
    I'd certainly be investing a few quid in an accountant to be sure.
    $4,000 (20% of the purse) on management seems excessive too.

It'll probably be the standard rate but there's no way he's (or other fighters who are paying 20% to management) getting value for money there. Many fighters wouldn't be the sharpest tools in the box I know, but there's got to be a lot of stuff that "management" are taking a cut for that could quite easily be done themselves, even by the ones that aren't as smart.
    I agree, $4k on management is insane. And the fighters earning that much are getting fairly terrible "management".

I don't think Myles is lying, but I also think that fighters need to protect themselves from been taken for a ride.

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Pulse8

Reading reports that JoJo is out and Rose is in against Page at UFN 80 but wiki says Page is fighting Sage. I'm so confused :(

366920.PNG

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 11,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. Manager

Article here on her replacement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

Rumours about sage and Paige to make super babies

Gutted for Calderwood to miss out on this one but I'm shocked the UFC are giving VanZant a matchup against Namajunas. It's a better fight for us fans but there's also a greater chance of VanZant losing IMO. I also thought they'd be the two fighters in that division that they'd try to hype seperately for as long as possible.

Esparza showed the blueprint for making Namajunas as ineffective as possible in the TUF Finale but VanZant's wrestling is on nowhere near a similar level obviously with Esparza being an All-American wrestler.

I think Rose will submit her.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

The thing is Vanzant is gaining popularity in the UFC by the way she looks, I really doubt it will matter if she loses, yet at the same time it will boost the popularity of Rose who is also smoking hot

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

John Kavanagh and Ais Daly will be on Second Captains tonight.

It's a bit strange McGregor hasn't done any mainstream interviews since he won the interim bely in Ireland yet.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,813 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

That_Guy wrote: »
    Not mine anyway. She out boxed him easily enough.
    Nothing against Pendred but this is probably the funniest thing I have read on this forum :pac:

UFC 195 for Duffy/Poirier.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement