Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General UFC Chit Chat/News

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,193 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

UFC 136 adds a second title-fight. Aldo v Ken-Flo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭the_doctor199

Brilliant card so far

Lightweight Championship bout: Frankie Edgar (c) vs. Gray Maynard[3]
    Featherweight Championship bout: José Aldo (c) vs. Kenny Florian[3]
    Middleweight bout: Brian Stann vs. Chael Sonnen[3]
    Middleweight bout: Demian Maia vs. Jorge Santiago[3]
    Lightweight bout: Joe Lauzon vs. Melvin Guillard[3]
    Heavyweight bout: Dave Herman vs. Mike Russow[3]
    Featherweight bout: Josh Grispi vs. Matt Grice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Oh_Noes

Really is a very nice card.

I hope they feel like they have to keep stacking the undercard accordingly now, I'm really getting in the habit of tuning into facebook at 11pm for them, there've been some fantastic undercards lately.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,830 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

• Registered Users Posts: 11,931 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Is 133 jinxed??

Nog has just pulled out (shoulder injury) so Rich needs a new opponent

http://mmajunkie.com/news/24439/nogueira-forced-out-at-ufc-133-promotion-seeking-replacement-to-face-franklin.mma

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭Devastator

If only that had happened few days ago Franklin could have just been bumped to main event vs Evans. Ahwell, Im lookin forward to seeing Tito get beat :)

Leben's name has again been mentioned, although not sure if he would step up now. Think he threw his name in hat before because it was a main event. Rich former 185 champ so could be a nice scalp for Leben

• Registered Users Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭SDTimeout

I really wanted Rich to get the fight vs Evans and let Nog find another opponent.

Vlad ?

SDTimeout wrote: »
    Vlad ?

He's injured now too, had to drop out of his fight a few days ago. Could we maybe see the UFC look to Strikeforce for this fight? Seems to be few LHW's left to choose from.

Devastator wrote: »
    Rich former 185 champ so could be a nice scalp for Leben

Rich takes Leben all day long IMO

What is Rich's role in the bigger picture now? Doubtful he'll ever see another title shot, i think they're just keeping him cos he's Rich and a big fan favourite

• Advertisement

scudzilla wrote: »
    What is Rich's role in the bigger picture now? Doubtful he'll ever see another title shot, i think they're just keeping him cos he's Rich and a big fan favourite

I've been wondering this for a while now. It seems Rich isn't considered in the big picture at all, but he's the reliable go-to guy who UFC can put into MEs and Co-MEs against other popular fighters who aren't (at the time) considered in the big picture either.

They put him in against Wandi, a returning Vitor, Chuck and Forrest in his last 4 fights. They all fit the bill for me, even Vitor because it was at a catchweight so was obviously meant as a fight to suit Belfort rather than the other way around.

This fight v Lil Nog was of the same ilk. Whoever wins doesn't really move closer to anything!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭weemcd

Pity, hope Franklin can get a fight, not a hope of Machida taking this though.

Franklin fight is off, real pity they couldn't find someone for him. Belfort v Akiyama moves to co-main.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭Devastator

Pity.

Any think its coincidence or an new way forward for the UFC the way they are looking to absolutely pack future cards(ie 136), so that if 1 or 2 fighters do get injured they can pull the fight and move another into its place?

Could be good idea, but with so many upcoming events(5 in space of about 8 weeks) they surely cannot sustain that quality of fight. Brings back old discussion of maybe 1 main event with 1 side event(fight nite) per month max.

Saying that....the more often we get to see good fights the better, even if a few fights turn out to be snooze fests in general I still enjoy the whole night

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

Brilliant card so far

Lightweight Championship bout: Frankie Edgar (c) vs. Gray Maynard[3]
    Featherweight Championship bout: José Aldo (c) vs. Kenny Florian[3]
    Middleweight bout: Brian Stann vs. Chael Sonnen[3]
    Middleweight bout: Demian Maia vs. Jorge Santiago[3]
    Lightweight bout: Joe Lauzon vs. Melvin Guillard[3]
    Heavyweight bout: Dave Herman vs. Mike Russow[3]
    Featherweight bout: Josh Grispi vs. Matt Grice

Great card but Florian is getting the biggest beating of his life on the card.

Devastator wrote: »
    Pity.

Any think its coincidence or an new way forward for the UFC the way they are looking to absolutely pack future cards(ie 136), so that if 1 or 2 fighters do get injured they can pull the fight and move another into its place?

Could be good idea, but with so many upcoming events(5 in space of about 8 weeks) they surely cannot sustain that quality of fight. Brings back old discussion of maybe 1 main event with 1 side event(fight nite) per month max.

Saying that....the more often we get to see good fights the better, even if a few fights turn out to be snooze fests in general I still enjoy the whole night

Unfortunately they can't do this. They now have 7 weight classes, soon to be 8, full of fighters who need to fight in order to make money. They have too many fighters on their books to only do 1 event a month.

This does create problems like the one being discussed but I guess there's not much they can do about it now!

It's also going to become a real problem if their Spike deal falls through as those Fight Night cards are great for blooding 15 or 16 new fighters. They don't really have that kind of facilty available with only four versus cards a year.

It would be nice if the UFC got a contract with a tv station that wanted a weekly product like what Bellator provides for MTV. Bellator seem very adept at building "stars" with very little to work with. I'd quite happily watch a weekly two-hour card headlined by Nick Lentz or Ross Pierson or someone who's not particulary high profile. They could use that platform to keep everything ticking over and then do one monthly big card with title fights and the like.

Just an idea really but when you see them bursting at the seams with fighters and then getting stuck in a bind repeatedly with main eventers pulling out you start to think there has to be a more consistant way of doing things.

The Spike deal might not be a big deal because, if I remember correctly, UFC are prepping their own TV channel!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,437 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

MrStuffins wrote: »
    The Spike deal might not be a big deal because, if I remember correctly, UFC are prepping their own TV channel!

I wonder if that will affect us being able to watch the events for free on ESPN??

Dean09 wrote: »
    I wonder if that will affect us being able to watch the events for free on ESPN??

I wouldn't say so. The ESPN deal is with UFC, hence us being able to watch all of the shows whether they be on Spike or Verses in the US. Not unless they launch the TV station here of course.

• Advertisement

I wouldn't say so. The ESPN deal is with UFC, hence us being able to watch all of the shows whether they be on Spike or Verses in the US. Not unless they launch the TV station here of course.

Yeah that's what I mean. It wouldn't surprise me if they release the channel in europe and move all the ppv events on that channel only.

Surely they'll still want to air some cards on a free network even if they start their own channel?

Dean09 wrote: »

I'm not sure they'll ever be able to charge the European market the kind of money that they charge the American market purely due to the fact that the events are on in the middle on the night our time.

Btw we're not getting them for free on ESPN, you have to pay for ESPN.

Oh_Noes wrote: »
    Btw we're not getting them for free on ESPN, you have to pay for ESPN.

Yeah I know that but its next to nothing. I only pay an extra 3 or 4 euro a month for ESPN with upc

I can see UFC moving to Sky Sports in the near future, and they're already set up for PPV.

When ESPN got the deal it was a rush job, Sky couldn't fit it into there schedule at such short notice when Setanta went tits up so ESPN got it, probably on a 2 year contract.

Now that 2 years is coming to a close i reckon Sky will take it.

The only good thing i can see with that is that they'll probably insist on 3/4 events in the GMT time zone per year, as Setanta had in there contract

Surely they'll still want to air some cards on a free network even if they start their own channel?

Maybe they'll launch theirs as a free channel?

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Jayo_M

The build up to Rampage/Jones should be epic.

JonesRampage_faceoff.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭SDTimeout

• Registered Users Posts: 39,322 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

link to the full pre-pre-fight press conferance

http://www.ufc.com/media/135-pre-pre-pc-071911

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,830 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

HAHAHA Gotta love Rampage.

taken from middleeasy:

reporter to Jones: "Are you going to be wrestling?"

Rampage interupts:"You already know, nobody stands with me!"
    "I respect you Dawg, but you fought a rusty Shogun man, just keeping it real!"

Jones:"There's always excuses..." "They'll say I fought the movie star Rampage instead of the Pride Rampage..."

Rampage:"I'm not gonna lie, I've always got atleast 3 (excuses) when I lose!"

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement