Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General UFC Chit Chat/News

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,610 ✭✭✭shocksy

Quick question, between yesterday an this evenings current weigh ins, I've noticed some fighters over weight, whether it be 0.5lb or 1.0lb and it's not classed as being overweight, but then on other occasions I've seen fighters literally getting their shorts off on stage an all to try make the weight, are you allowed a small margin to be overweight?

eg. Mendes just weighed in at 146lbs which would be 1lb over the 145lbs for featherweight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

shocksy wrote: »
    Quick question, between yesterday an this evenings current weigh ins, I've noticed some fighters over weight, whether it be 0.5lb or 1.0lb and it's not classed as being overweight, but then on other occasions I've seen fighters literally getting their shorts off on stage an all to try make the weight, are you allowed a small margin to be overweight?

You get 1lb in Nevada.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

shocksy wrote: »

For a non title fight you can be 1lb over. For a title fight weight needs to be bang on or less than the limit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,610 ✭✭✭shocksy

You get 1lb in Nevada.

Thanks for that :):)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,615 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

You get 1lb in Nevada.
    Is there anywhere that doesn't allow the 1lb grace. I seam to remember a bit of an issue with an event in canada. Metric system involved maybe. GSP v Diaz I think

Mellor wrote: »
    Is there anywhere that doesn't allow the 1lb grace. I seam to remember a bit of an issue with an event in canada. Metric system involved maybe. GSP v Diaz I think

California for sure has no allowance.

Wasn't that a title fight and gsp was 0.2kg over 170 or something and they rounded down?

California for sure has no allowance.

California has the same 1lb allowance. 100%.
    Here's the results of the last event in california. 14 out of 24 fighters availed of the 1lb grace.
    I was under the impression the extra lb was everywhere, at least in all the usual locations.

California has the same 1lb allowance. 100%.
    Here's the results of the last event in california. 14 out of 24 fighters availed of the 1lb grace.
    I was under the impression the extra lb was everywhere, at least in all the usual locations.

That's what I thought too. Never heard of the 1lb allowance not allowed in a non title fight.

Wasn't that a title fight and gsp was 0.2kg over 170 or something and they rounded down?
    Just re-read it there.

It was something like the Canadian AC round down the decimal. Which is essentially the same as a 1lb grace. But they were doing it for the main event too. Then the kg's added to the confusion. He was either bang on 170, or fractions over but they called it 170 at the weigh-in.
    GSP said he would of taken his shorts off if he was aware at the time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Its allowed in Massachusetts too . when McGregor fought Siver,Siver was 146.

I remember because Conor made a big deal of being 145.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

I was certain all fighters had a 1 lb allowance if it was a non title fight.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,813 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Chinese fighter Yang Jian Bing dies after trying to make weight for a fight at One 35

link

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,437 ✭✭✭weemcd

Chinese fighter Yang Jian Bing dies after trying to make weight for a fight at One 35

link

Oh God.

The extreme weight cutting culture in MMA has to stop. However I think this will be incredibly difficult.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

This is so random and ridiculous

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

I'd seen the Rory MacDonald one before but it looks like Colgan (Buzz) has set up a new page. There's on there with Paul Redmond and another of him messing in the gym with a movement expert (The Boo).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Depp

CatFromHue wrote: »
    I'd seen the Rory MacDonald one before but it looks like Colgan (Buzz) has set up a new page. There's on there with Paul Redmond and another of him messing in the gym with a movement expert (The Boo).

far as i know and i could be wrong the boo actually trains in sbg...meant be fairly good bjj wise

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

Posted this in the event thread for tonight. Great to see an Irish gym attracting international fighters. Well deserved for John.
    MagicIRL wrote: »
    Interesting from JK over on the42.ie
    http://www.the42.ie/john-kavanagh-column-11-december-2496597-Dec2015/
    "As for Ryan, he was initially due to fight a different opponent on tonight’s card before the reshuffle happened, so I was actually going to be in his corner. Instead, I’ll now obviously be on the opposite side. As soon as the fight is over, however, we’ll renew our good relationship and discuss the possibility of him cementing his connection with SBG."

Hall fighting out of SBG? That would seriously cool! Heel hooks for everyone!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

I would have thought TAM might try and snatch him up, Faber seems to have a man crush on him.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Hall is a snake in the grass :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 537 ✭✭✭clever user name

CatFromHue wrote: »
    Hall is a snake in the grass :D

A boa constrictor to be exact.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,161 ✭✭✭Amazingfun

Good man Dana!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

7 UFC champions dethroned in 2015 alone:

Aldo by McGregor
    Velasquez by Werdum
    Pettis by dos Anjos
    Rousey by Holm
    Weidman by Rockhold
    Esparza by Jedrzejczyk
    Jones by himself

Imagine if someone had told you at the start of 2015 that all of Jon Jones, Ronda Rousey, Chris Weidman, Cain Velasquez, Carla Esparza and Anthony Pettis would no longer be champions by December. :eek:

This sport is something else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

I'm sure everyone has seen this by now but

HW Champ - Werdum
    LHW Champ - Cormier
    MW Champ - Rockhold
    WW Champ - Lawler

All came over after Strikeforce was bought.
    Jon Jones obviously the rightful king at LHW but Strikeforce used to get an awful kicking as a promotion and they had plenty of other great fighters at the time, Overeem, Barnett, Diaz, Melandez etc. They used to put on some really good fights.

Some competition for the UFC would be good.

So Ben Askern's ONE FC contract ended on December 9th, anyone reckon he's finally going to get a shot at the UFC?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Depp

So Ben Askern's ONE FC contract ended on December 9th, anyone reckon he's finally going to get a shot at the UFC?

i hope not, not a fan of his atal

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

Boring wrestler cant strike will be destroyed.

I think he gives a lot of people at 170 serious problems, he's definitely the best fighter outside of the UFC right now and deserves a shot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Anyone seen dos Anjos lately? The word in Vegas from Dave Meltzer is that he's completely different now, much smaller than the pre-USADA days. It'll be interesting to see the difference this week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭ASOT

Paully D wrote: »
    Anyone seen dos Anjos lately? The word in Vegas from Dave Meltzer is that he's completely different now, much smaller than the pre-USADA days. It'll be interesting to see the difference this week.

One of rogans podcasts touched on this a while back, showing before and after pictures one where's he's tubby one where he's ripped. Can't for the life of me think of what episode it was.

• Advertisement

I didn't think USADA testing would have had such an impact. Not loads of fighters have been popped but the threat of random testing seems to be enough to prevent enough fighters. Some noticeable changes, I don't mean to generalise but Brazilian fighters have looked far less dominant since. I think there was definitely a culture of PED use over there.

Cowboy vs RDA is going to be very interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭FollowMyWay

ASOT wrote: »
    One of rogans podcasts touched on this a while back, showing before and after pictures one where's he's tubby one where he's ripped. Can't for the life of me think of what episode it was.

It was Cerrone on twitter, where a picture of RDA on the scales (so dried out and ripped) compare to a pic years pervious taken in the gym. It's pretty much nonsense.

Mostly likely he will be smaller, possibly because of the IV's, which most people are doing right now. I expect him to be just a lean as he was before.

Edit: Link - mmafighting.com/2015/7/21/9006069/rafael-dos-anjos-responds-to-donald-cerrone-s-steroid-allegations-he

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

The funny thing is Cowboy is the one who has history of failing a drugs test,I believe at the top of every sport a lot of stars are taking some sort of performance enhancer to stay at the top most of it probably undetectable.

After Gilbert Melendez tested positive and anderson no one will ever surprise me popping for juice.

Kavanagh, Ido Portal, Pettis and Khabib on the MMAhour tonight with Ariel.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭califano

Dana White always seems to be an impatient a-hole with Megan Olivi in the backstage interview. Acts like shes doing his head in holding him up, walking and talking etc and she has to apologise about 3 times for taking his time. I know its a busy time for him but do the interview or dont do the interview but if you do at least show some patience and respect.

I don't understand that either as she's interviewing him for his company, seems very bizarre really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭califano

Exactly. Its like its an insistence from the board room that he got outvoted on and does it with a head on him.

Heres the interview and his attitude in all of them are pretty similar

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Forgot Cerrone v dos Anjos is happening at the weekend. It's a seriously good looking card too. Feel a bit burned out with all the MMA that's been happening though to even get excited for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,156 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

He’s normally grand with her.

Seeing as he didn’t make the press conference he was clearly on his way out of the arena. He’d also just finished an interview with Fox Sports panel.

He obviously said he’d do it but it would be while he was walking, she agreed so I hardly feel sorry for her.

Some just love to have a go at Dana.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

Can we expect conor at rda and cowboy fight and go in octagon once fight is over and announce he's fighting for the belt next

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,779 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

Foxtrol wrote: »
    He’s normally grand with her.

Seeing as he didn’t make the press conference he was clearly on his way out of the arena. He’d also just finished an interview with Fox Sports panel.

He obviously said he’d do it but it would be while he was walking, she agreed so I hardly feel sorry for her.

Some just love to have a go at Dana.

I think it's strange because it's an interview for the ufc youtube channel, not some random yob

• Registered Users Posts: 11,156 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

I think it's strange because it's an interview for the ufc youtube channel, not some random yob

If he has to make a flight or an important meeting they’d take precedence over doing an interview, which is likely be mostly a rehash of what he just said in the interview he just finished.

By even saying he’d do it on the move he was doing more than he would for anything that wasn’t UFC, hence why she was apologising/thanking him.

Duffy and Poirier on fight pass is an absolute joke

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,945 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Gamebred wrote: »

No it's not, very clever marketing

They put a great fight like this on Fight Pass and will get a LOT more subscribers, who they will then bombard with PPV adverts, win win for everyone

They get more money as the main fightpass fight than as a preliminary fight, apparently... Gotta keep those subscriptions coming in.

Sorry meant to add,they will be fighting in an empty arena they deserve much bigger billing hope this business plan fails on the ufc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,738 ✭✭✭Naos

Sorry meant to add,they will be fighting in an empty arena they deserve much bigger billing hope this business plan fails on the ufc.

A fight like that may bring people into the arena earlier. Not that they should need a reason, what fan pays for a ticket to a UFC event and then misses a few fights?

• Advertisement

Did they not say it was on earlier so the Irish fans could watch it easier in a gesture for it not going ahead in Dublin?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement