Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General UFC Chit Chat/News

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭Beersmith

Looks like jon fitch has been popped for drugs now too. Im sure 95% at least of pro fighters are taking something.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,783 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Wow....fighters need longer suspensions or other punishments. WTF is going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Oregano_State

Beersmith wrote: »
    Looks like jon fitch has been popped for drugs now too. Im sure 95% at least of pro fighters are taking something.

I'm not quite at that stage of scepticism yet about the sport. It seems to me that a lot of the fighters getting caught for the stuff we should be concerned about are older fighters trying to stay in the roster, or elongate their careers. I'm not worried about Jones getting popped for coke or Diaz for Marijuana. Neither are performance enhancing, and in Diaz's case probably negatively impacted him if anything.

Personally I'll reserve judgement for a few months while more results from the improved testing procedures come back, before saying everyone's on roids. But the UFC need to kill this problem now, by introducing widespread out of competition testing across their roster, because this will only get worse otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭Beersmith

The more testing the worse it will be short and medium term anyway or they will move onto more undetecable ways to cheat

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Oregano_State

Beersmith wrote: »
    The more testing the worse it will be short and medium term anyway or they will move onto more undetecable ways to cheat

If they get onto the WADA program with biological passports and all that, it will root out the majority of them. It requires a lot of effort and money to fool that system.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,248 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Not surprised about Fitch at all. He's fallen apart recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭TimRiggins

I really hope UFC185 doesn't get wrecked with injury. Really fun card with Pettis/Dos Anjos, The womans strawweight, Hendricks v Brown, Big Country v Reem, Chris Carasio, Ross Pearson and Joesph Duffy fighting too.

dave1982 wrote: »
    Will Andersons win be a NC?
    It's been overturned to a NC now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

ye biological passport(its used in pro cycling now) is the way forward

• Registered Users Posts: 11,925 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Just seen this posted, some of it's quite funny

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,728 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

scudzilla wrote: »
    Just seen this posted, some of it's quite funny

Funny enough alright, but it sure does make MMA look like a scummy sport

The Hooligan pick up my Dethrone. Good sihning for him.

https://twitter.com/dethrone/status/563745289920466944

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

Brazil papers reporting UFC are withholding a 6 million dollar payment to Anderson.The UFC are denying it in a very short statement

Anderson Silva's February is going from bad to worse, it seems.

According to Brazilian sports website Veja.com.br (via Bloody Elbow's Fernando Arbex), the UFC has blocked a 16 million Brazilian Real payment (approximately $6 million USD) to the former middleweight champion due to Silva's failed drug test ahead of UFC 183.

For those who somehow missed it, The Spider failed a pre-fight drug test ahead of his UFC 183 headlining bout opposite former Strikeforce welterweight champion Nick Diaz. The cause? Not one, but two anabolic steroids: drostanolone and androstane. The drug-test failure will likely be accompanied by his win over Diaz being overturned to a no-contest, alongside a hefty fine.

While the reported move to withhold Silva's payment is interesting in and of itself, the bigger story is the alleged size of Silva's UFC 183 payday. According to MMAjunkie (via MMAPayout.com), Silva's disclosed payout for the fight totaled $800,000 ($600,000 to show, $200,000 to win), one of the highest in UFC history. Disclosed payouts, however, do not include pay-per-view points, locker room bonuses or sponsorships, making Silva's reported $6 million haul come as a surprise.

Silva (as well as Diaz, who tested positive for illegal levels of marijuana metabolites for the third time in his MMA career) will be required to appear before the Nevada State Athletic Commission for a preliminary hearing on February 17.

To this point, Silva has vehemently denied using any performance-enhancing drugs, and the UFC has voiced its support of its embattled star and has already promised to retain his services for the upcoming season of The Ultimate Fighter: Brazil, during which he will coach opposite fellow former UFC champion Mauricio "Shogun" Rua.

Stick with Bleacher Report for more details as they become available.

The UFC released a brief statement to MMAjunkie: “The financial reports made by Veja.com are not true.”

• Registered Users Posts: 12,287 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

The rest of the mmajunkie article basically rubbishes the Brazilian report.

First off the UFC do not have the authority to withhold the payment. Only the State Athletic Commission can do that.

Secondly the PPV points payments are contractually obligated, not based on performance etc so they could not legally refuse to pay.

Sounds like cheap headline grabbing by the Brazilian crowd imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,360 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

GSP on the MMA hour soon discussing drug use and what he's up to soon (if anything)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

GSP doesn't seem to want to come back without proper drug checks. I don't think I want him back. He's a legend and always will be in my eyes. He went out the champion, on a high, and is one of, if not, the greatest of all time.

MagicIRL wrote: »
    GSP doesn't seem to want to come back without proper drug checks. I don't think I want him back. He's a legend and always will be in my eyes. He went out the champion, on a high, and is one of, if not, the greatest of all time.

On a high? He got battered by Hendricks. Was a robbery.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

GSP won that fight fair and square. It wasn't a five round domination by GSP, but he won. He remained champion. He went out on a high.

DrPhilG wrote: »
    First off the UFC do not have the authority to withhold the payment. Only the State Athletic Commission can do that.

Secondly the PPV points payments are contractually obligated, not based on performance etc so they could not legally refuse to pay.
    They are contractuall obligated, but it's a free contract between two parties. There's nothing stopping the UFC putting in a claus where he must pass the drug screen. In which case it would be perfectly legal to withhold the money.

I've no idea whether they included that or not. But I'd disagree with your idea that they can't possibly withhold money.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,735 ✭✭✭ASOT

NSAC Has requested Silva steps down as coach on TUF 4.

• Advertisement

ASOT wrote: »
    NSAC Has requested Silva steps down as coach on TUF 4.

Big Nog stepping in

• Registered Users Posts: 7,735 ✭✭✭ASOT

TimRiggins wrote: »
    Big Nog stepping in

Yeah just seen that there; wasnt a fan of Silva carrying on myself after all this so I'm glad it happened.

Mellor wrote: »
    I've no idea whether they included that or not. But I'd disagree with your idea that they can't possibly withhold money.

It's not my idea.

It's what MMAjunkie reported.

Speaking of MMAjunkie, article here on Redmond's weight cut for his UFC debut.

Mental.

News Url :: http://mmajunkie.com/2015/02/cutting-36-pounds-in-13-days-why-one-ufc-fighter-even-tried-it-and-what-he-learned/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭Oscars Well.

Lorenzo being a naughty boy going after the cage girls :D

CQuXv9R.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭CurryFlavoured

Mental.

News Url :: http://mmajunkie.com/2015/02/cutting-36-pounds-in-13-days-why-one-ufc-fighter-even-tried-it-and-what-he-learned/

Unfair to put Paul in that position as they knew he'd never say no. I'm sure they had an inkling that he'd be at least ~30 lbs overweight. Hopefully he gets a fair crack next time as the last fight was nothing but a joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭John_D80

Mental.

Christ, he did well to even walk to the ring that night considering what he put his body through. What a warrior in fairness.

John_D80 wrote: »
    Christ, he did well to even walk to the ring that night considering what he put his body through. What a warrior in fairness.

And to last the 3 rounds with a legit top prospect.

It's not my idea.

It's what MMAjunkie reported.
    Unless they know something I don't, I can't see any reason they couldn't use that claus. Other than no fighter agreeing to it of course.
    John_D80 wrote: »

That's a ridiculous cut to attempt. Fair play for getting that close.
    tbf, it was probably a max or 4-6 lbs fat, so he was really squeezing the water out
    16lbs in the sauna, ugh

145ers should be 155-165 imo, 170 max if they have the cut down

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

The rest of the mmajunkie article basically rubbishes the Brazilian report.

Sounds like cheap headline grabbing by the Brazilian crowd imo.

Not sure my understanding of it is NSAC can only control the disclosed payments which was 800,000 anything after that was agreed with between the UFC and Anderson.I'd be fairly certain the UFC would have a get out claus hidden in his contract somewhere, to save them paying out millions

Reports now that the 2nd set of pre fight tests have come back clean

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement