Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General UFC Chit Chat/News

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,735 ✭✭✭ASOT

Another pointless title fight at Flyweight

MM v Kyoji Horiguchi added to 168

https://twitter.com/ufc/status/565136110804676608

• Registered Users Posts: 12,287 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

At least that means it won't be added to 189.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,735 ✭✭✭ASOT

Lombard has now also failed a drug test.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭CurryFlavoured

ASOT wrote: »
    Lombard has now also failed a drug test.

What a shock, another guy who's been peaking in his mid/late 30s is taking something.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

ASOT wrote: »
    Another pointless title fight at Flyweight

MM v Kyoji Horiguchi added to 168

https://twitter.com/ufc/status/565136110804676608

Of all the title holders in the UFC, Johnson is the fighter I least look forward to watching. I always give a little "meh" anytime he's added to a fight card.

• Advertisement

One thing I will say is well done to the UFC for trying to clean up the sport. It isn't pretty and they'll be criticised but they're doing the right thing and I highly doubt they're the only sport with a big proportion of PED users at an elite level.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,925 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

One thing I will say is well done to the UFC for trying to clean up the sport. It isn't pretty and they'll be criticised but they're doing the right thing and I highly doubt they're the only sport with a big proportion of PED users at an elite level.

Not doing enough IMO, they find out Lombard failed his piss test and pulled him from the card, they would also have known that Silva/Diaz had failed before they fought yet let them carry on. Typical double standards from UFC

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭Beersmith

scudzilla wrote: »
    Not doing enough IMO, they find out Lombard failed his piss test and pulled him from the card, they would also have known that Silva/Diaz had failed before they fought yet let them carry on. Typical double standards from UFC

Would they have known? Wouldnt the commission be the first to know and wouldnt have silva been pulled by them? Ufc pulled lombard because he wouldn't be allowed fight by the commission?

Not surprising again just looking at lombard, just not possible to look like that and be clean

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Burkman (the man Lombard last beat) on Twitter.
    I still respect @HectorLombard as a man and as a Martial Artist. I am never surprised when pro athletes get caught w PED's.

I think the commission dictates that scud.

The Lombard situation is hilarious though. Started MMA at 26, made it to the UFC at 34 and appeared to have peaked at 37. He also used to fight at 160 lbs back in judo. If ever there was a case for PED use.

• Advertisement

I think the commission dictates that scud.

The Lombard situation is hilarious though. Started MMA at 26, made it to the UFC at 34 and appeared to have peaked at 37. He also used to fight at 160 lbs back in judo. If ever there was a case for PED use.

Ok, hands up if i'm wrong, but if the UFC really REALLY wanted to clear this up they would have found out the results and pulled Silva/Diaz, no ifs or buts. That would show they're taking it seriously

• Registered Users Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,250 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Ok, hands up if i'm wrong, but if the UFC really REALLY wanted to clear this up they would have found out the results and pulled Silva/Diaz, no ifs or buts. That would show they're taking it seriously
    That makes absolutely no sense.
    The commision do the random testing not the UFC. The commision would also be the first ones to pull the fight once they knew. How could the UFC find out before the commission?

Lombard failed a test at the start of Jan. They found out now, So they pulled his next fight. Pulling it is meaningless anyway as the commission were likely going to do the same and/or hit him with a suspension.

Mellor wrote: »
    That makes absolutely no sense.
    The commision do the random testing not the UFC. The commision would also be the first ones to pull the fight once they knew. How could the UFC find out before the commission?

Lombard failed a test at the start of Jan. They found out now, So they pulled his next fight. Pulling it is meaningless anyway as the commission were likely going to do the same and/or hit him with a suspension.

What makes no sense? I meant that when NSAC founf out Silva/Diaz had failed they could have told the UFC who, off their own backs, and showing a stance against this, could have pulled the fight

Want me to make it clearer maybe?

What makes no sense? I meant that when NSAC founf out Silva/Diaz had failed they could have told the UFC who, off their own backs, and showing a stance against this, could have pulled the fight

Want me to make it clearer maybe?
    It makes no sense because the NSAC told the UFC. They only got the results back after the fight. The second round of tests only came back this week.

It's very strange to critise the UFC for not acting on info they didn't have.

It makes no sense because the NSAC did tell the UFC. They only got the results back after the fight. The second round of tests only came back this week.

Ahhh, i was under the impression that NSAC would have known before the fight

They said they only got it back afterwards. I haven't seen the report with a date on it though.
    The current head of the NSAC said something like "I was with the FBI for 24 years. I could close my eyes to a positive test and risk sonebody getting hurt"
    I'm inclined to believe him, as he sounds like a typical by the book guy, and all of these random tests catching guys are on his watch.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

NAC-No-Conspiracy-in-Anderson-Silva-Drug-Test-Lab-Protocols-Delayed-Results-81315
    Seems the lab were delayed and the NAC forgot to follow it up, it's supposed to take 7 working days according to the article

I haven't seen the 1st report shown anywhere yet either, although the report showing the results of the 2nd drug test was shown on a couple of sites

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

I thought diaz failed the post fight piss test no?

I thought diaz failed the post fight piss test no?
    Yup.
    He failed fight night.

• Advertisement

Yup.
    He failed fight night.

So the UFC would've needed a flux capacitor, a Deloreon and 1.21GW of power to know that diaz had failed pre fight?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,188 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

So the UFC would've needed a flux capacitor, a Deloreon and 1.21GW of power to know that diaz had failed pre fight?

Or common sense!

MrStuffins wrote: »
    Or common sense!

Am I missing something here. How could the UFC have pulled Diaz from the fight with Silva when Diaz failed the post fight test and not a pre fight test?

MrStuffins wrote: »
    Or common sense!

Ah wait..I get you ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

Current MW Champion Chael P Sonnen claims there is no such thing as random drug testing, You are only tested if there is suspicion that you are using banned substances

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭TimRiggins

dave1982 wrote: »
    Current MW Champion Chael P Sonnen claims there is no such thing as random drug testing, You are only tested if there is suspicion that you are using banned substances

*and LHW

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭MartyMcFly84

So looks like Hector Lombard has just tested positive for anabolic's now as well.

Not so say I am overly surprised. Very few people out there with the genes for that kind of physique

• Registered Users Posts: 12,287 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Has there been any kind of statement from the UFC about this spate of recent test failures?

I would have thought that they'd be getting bombarded by the media for a response. The sport is descending into a bit of a farce at the minute. Isn't the failure rate for out of competition drug tests now at about 45%? 8 fails from 18 tests or something following the results for Silva, Fitch and Lombard.

They need to take major action. And if they're scared that major increases in drug testing will leave them with a decimated roster, then at least start a process for increased tests that will allow fighters to cycle off whatever they're on before increased testing starts.

I realise that doing that would effectively be allowing cheats to avoid being caught, but if the majority are dirty, is there any other option that would clean up the sport without crippling it first?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

The thing about MMA is that if they managed to stop PED's 100% the quality of the fights would not decrease.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭weemcd

Talk of Frankie v Faber being made. Good fight, hope Frankie tools him up, something inherently unlikeable about Faber that I can't quite put my finger on. Faber also talked about shutting Mcgregor up, something I severely doubt would happen.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement