Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General UFC Chit Chat/News

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,932 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Xlami wrote: »
    Yeh I remember hearing an interview with Bonnar recently basically saying he'd break his bollix to make 185 to fight Kos. The two of them are involved in a court case. It would make for a WWE like storyline, in the build up. Not sure it's the most professional thing to do though.

What's the court case about??

• Registered Users Posts: 12,326 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

scudzilla wrote: »
    What's the court case about??

Bonner had a clothing line that basically used the name and/or images of a load of other fighters without their permission. Kos was the only one that took him to court over it and he won afaik.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

DrPhilG wrote: »
    Bonner had a clothing line that basically used the name and/or images of a load of other fighters without their permission. Kos was the only one that took him to court over it and he won afaik.

Hasn't been settled yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Xlami

http://mmajunkie.com/news/23964/ufcs-stephan-bonnar-i-want-to-kick-josh-koschecks-ass.mma

That link basically explains it, couldn't find the interview in which I heard Bonnar talking about the fight seriously.

Hasn't been settled yet.

I thought I read the clothing line had stopped making the shirts, musta been wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,322 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I thought I read the clothing line had stopped making the shirts, musta been wrong.
    That doesn't mean it was settled, as soons as the lawsuit is filed they legally have to stop selling them. In fact, I don't think the Koschek t-shirt ever went on sale. Then the courts have to decide the out come, Josh wins, he gets compensation, if Stephen wins he can start selling them.

It's not a clear cut case, the UFC prob owns or shares the image rights of the fighters, they were making a t-shirt for lots of guys (Brock, GSP, Hammil, Bonnar, Koschek were the first batch)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

I doubt Josh will win, to do so he basically has to proof he is a cabbage patch kid.

The hair should help his case though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭Sid_Justice

It's not really the same i guess but:

Tom waits often gets asked for his music to be used in ads which he flatly denies. They often get impersonators to perform instead and he sues and he's been successful.

Not sure what the story is with using a likeness for a picture but if the tshirt company are making money selling tshirts with caricatures of fighters on them, i think its fair they get paid.

It's not really the same i guess but:

Tom waits often gets asked for his music to be used in ads which he flatly denies. They often get impersonators to perform instead and he sues and he's been successful.

Not sure what the story is with using a likeness for a picture but if the tshirt company are making money selling tshirts with caricatures of fighters on them, i think its fair they get paid.
    But Tom Waits prob owns the rights to his image.

The character on the t-shirt is named Josh Kosh so there's no case that its him. The problem is that Josh has a contract obligation with another clothing line, and he can't go with other brands, so Josh is sueing Bonnar on the basis that he mgiht get sued over his contract.

I don't think Bonnar has said he is flat out refusing to pay anyone, that isn't the issue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,193 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Sam Stout has had to pull out of his fight against Denis Siver at UFC 137.

Donald Cerrone has stepped in. Man, my respect for The Cowboy keeps going up and up. He doesn't give a s*it, he steps into fights everywhere! Big fan of The Cowboy!

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭reganreggie

MrStuffins wrote: »
    Sam Stout has had to pull out of his fight against Denis Siver at UFC 137.

Donald Cerrone has stepped in. Man, my respect for The Cowboy keeps going up and up. He doesn't give a s*it, he steps into fights everywhere! Big fan of The Cowboy!

Im really looking foward to this, I think Cerrone may just edge it

Siver is on the way to a title shot, if he wins to fight in a title eliminator with the likes of Pettis or Henderson

I'd like to see him get there. He had a really rocky start but has really become a solid fighter and has a nice string of wins! He's worked hard for it!

Also, a European champion would be awesome for UFC. Especially one which could become the face of european MMA in Germany where they're having a lot of problems!

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭reganreggie

I really like Siver but his last win was by the narrowest of split decisions and Cerrones bjj looks sharper so if its not the kick-fest we are expecting the Cerrone may tap him

• Registered Users Posts: 12,437 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

Welterweight Matt Brown has agreed to face John Hathaway at UFC 138 after the Brit's original opponent, Pascal Krauss, recently pulled out of the fight due to a shoulder injury, MMA Fighting confirmed with sources close to the event.

UFC 138, headlined by Chris Leben vs. Mark Munoz, takes place Nov. 5 at the LG Arena in Birmingham, England.

Hathaway (15-1) defeated Kris McCray at UFC Fight Night 24 in March to get back on track after suffering the first loss of his career against Mike Pyle at UFC 120 last October.

Brown (12-10) recently snapped a three-fight losing streak when he defeated John Howard at UFC Live on Versus 4. The former TUF cast member is 5-4 in the UFC.

Also scheduled for the UFC's return to England is Brad Pickett vs. Renan Barao and Thiago Alves vs. newcomer Papy Abedi.
    http://www.mmafighting.com/2011/08/31/matt-brown-replaces-pascal-krauss-versus-john-hathaway-at-ufc-13/

I think Brown might be on thin ice in the UFC and a loss here might push him closer to being cut.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭SDTimeout

I really like Siver but his last win was by the narrowest of split decisions and Cerrones bjj looks sharper so if its not the kick-fest we are expecting the Cerrone may tap him

Can't see BJJ coming into it and if it does it will because of Cerrone's wrestling as Siver stuffed the majority of George Sots takedowns

Dean09 wrote: »
    http://www.mmafighting.com/2011/08/31/matt-brown-replaces-pascal-krauss-versus-john-hathaway-at-ufc-13/

I think Brown might be on thin ice in the UFC and a loss here might push him closer to being cut.

Yeh it's a pity, not a fight I want to see either guy loose. Matt Brown is always very entertaining to watch. I reckon Hathaway will edge it.

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭loremolis

I see that the first UFC ON FOX fight will be announced tomorrow.

It must be a big one if they're making a big deal of the announcement.

Most of the weight classes have impending title fights due in the next few months.

Anyone have a guess?

I'll go for Lesnar V Overeem

• Registered Users Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭SDTimeout

Overeem being signed I'd say but wouldn't say it's the headline.

Can see maybe 125 championship fight or main event of Cain vs JDS.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

loremolis wrote: »
    I see that the first UFC ON FOX fight will be announced tomorrow.

It must be a big one if they're making a big deal of the announcement.

Most of the weight classes have impending title fights due in the next few months.

Anyone have a guess?

I'm thinking koscheck and someone. The second fight ain't a big one, well I've never heard of them so I doubt it will be lesner or anyone like it. Koscheck has been training for a fight around then and dana seems to love him sup I'm betting it will be him

loremolis wrote: »

That would be such an incredible way to kick it off. I'd love to see that fight! But for many reasons I can't see it happening!

......... but wow, what a fight that would be!
    SDTimeout wrote: »
    Can see maybe 125 championship fight or main event of Cain vs JDS.

Definitely not a 125 championship fight. They have no 125 guys singed up. There's no way they'd kick off a division with a title fight anyway!
    adamski8 wrote: »
    I'm thinking koscheck and someone. The second fight ain't a big one, well I've never heard of them so I doubt it will be lesner or anyone like it. Koscheck has been training for a fight around then and dana seems to love him sup I'm betting it will be him

Kos has been tweeting a lot saying he's gonna be announcing a fight soon and it'll be up at Middleweight. Wouldnt be surprised to see him fight Chris Leben. That would be a definite headliner for a UFN card but for this.... i'm not so sure!

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭loremolis

Can't see Kos doing any harm at middleweight.

Leben is fighting in the UK in November so it can't be him.

If it is Kos then I can't think of a good matchup for him at MW that would be a must see.

Could be Kenny Florian getting a shot at Jose Aldo??

Could be Kenny Florian getting a shot at Jose Aldo??

He already is. UFC 136, October 8th.

He already is. UFC 136, October 8th.

Shít I forgot that. I'm an idiot! :o

Shít I forgot that. I'm an idiot! :o

haha! brillaint.

I think it's gonna be a good fight! I feel sorry for kenflo because the guy is the balls! But he's never quite been good enough to grab that title. And I don't think he's gonna get anywhere near Aldo here either!

MrStuffins wrote: »
    haha! brillaint.

I think it's gonna be a good fight! I feel sorry for kenflo because the guy is the balls! But he's never quite been good enough to grab that title. And I don't think he's gonna get anywhere near Aldo here either!

I can't believe I forgot about it! I'm not with it today! :D

Yeah I think Aldo will win this one.
    I'll be rooting for Kenny though, I've always liked him and I'll be delighted if he wins but I just can't see it happening.

No announcement yet. Also I remmeber hearing the Fox cards will have only 2 fights on Fox and the undercard on Fuel or something. I imagine the Poirier Vs Garza fight isn't gonna make tha main card.

• Advertisement

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement