Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General UFC Chit Chat/News

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭TimRiggins

Max Holloway v Cub Swanson announced last night for the UFC on Fox in New Jersey in April.

While next weeks Fight Night in Brazil doesn't really excite me, nor those UFC 184 really, March and April cards look really good providing everyone can stay injury free (UFC 184 was stacked before injuries ****ed it up)

UFC 185 has the potential to be one of the events of the year.
    FN: Maia v LaFlare is a poor card but FN: Mendes v Lamas is decent for a Fight Night (Compared to last night and the previous). Great main event, Masivdal and Iaquinta could be a great scrap, Clay Guida v Robbie Peralta and Dustin Poirier's LW debut.
    Polish card is gonna be fun aswell, Atmosphere will be amazing, Seeing Cro Cop is a novelty. Really good co-main in Jimi Manuwa and Jan Blachowicz is a interesting match up Jan was impressive against Lafiti is his debut. Aisling Daly fighting as well of course.

and the UFC on Fox in New Jersey, Lyoto v Rockhold, Jacare v Romero, OSP v Patrick Cummings, Holloway Swanson and Paul Felder who had that spinning back fist KO at UFC 182.

and then UFC 186 which is another good PPV card, Dillashaw Barao 2 (Such a shame this wasn't Cruz), Mighty Mouse v Horiguchi, Rampage v Maldonado, Bisping v Dolloway and more.

Lets hope they get abit of luck with injuries for a change!

• Registered Users Posts: 39,250 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Is there anythere that lists ALL upcoming UFC fights, that can be filtered by division?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

They (the UFC) were advertising some Calendar App during the fights on Saturday. Maybe that's what you're looking for?

MagicIRL wrote: »
    They (the UFC) were advertising some Calendar App during the fights on Saturday. Maybe that's what you're looking for?
    Think that's just the events. I hit one some calender on the YFC website a few months ago. Not al the events are in my iPhone calender. Even sets off an alarm to remind me

• Advertisement

Lawlor v McDonald on July 11th for the WW title!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭EuskalHerria

MagicIRL wrote: »
    Lawlor v McDonald on July 11th for the WW title!

Two titles on the same night, as big as it was already it's shaping up to be a huge card with those fights. Two new champions that night imo.

Great. Would have liked to watch Robbie v Rory in comfort, Now i'll be nervous as **** the whole way through!

Doesn't help getting tickets either. I'll be in Canada at the time and want to head down to Vegas for it, If not Toronto will be good craic with a Canadian fighting for a belt too!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭weemcd

Dammmm that's a good card. Fúck I wish I was going!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,287 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Great fight, but as others said it's bad news from a tickets point of view.

Canadians are rabid about their guys and the numbers heading south just sky rocketed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,547 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Will be interesting to see how many fighters suddenly retire for undisclosed reasons

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

UFC 187 is stacked like PPV events should be

Jones/Rumble
    Weidmann/Vitor
    Khabib/Cerrone
    Browne/Arlovski
    Moraga/Benavidez

Let's just hope they all get there

Fromvert wrote: »
    UFC 187 is stacked like PPV events should be

Jones/Rumble
    Weidmann/Vitor
    Khabib/Cerrone
    Browne/Arlovski
    Moraga/Benavidez

Let's just hope they all get there

There's one other fight announced, some Kunts on the undercard

Amazing card for 187 lets hope all goes ahead. I think Weidman Belfort could be the main of UFC 200 at this stage.

Mostly everyone will probably disagree but I actually fancy Cowboy to beat Khabib, and I think Belfort has the tools to dethrone Weidman.

I'd like to think Rumble will beat Jones but I don't know, Rumble did put away a guy Jones couldn't for 5 rounds.

Great to see that PPV cards are returning to be stacked, the UFC has a big enough roster that they should be too.

Will Belfort make it that far if (purely speculation) he has to spend the next few months cycling off any *ahem "extra supplements he may have been taking?

DrPhilG wrote: »
    Will Belfort make it that far if (purely speculation) he has to spend the next few months cycling off any *ahem "extra supplements he may have been taking?
    Has anything changed recent that would affected his preparation?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,851 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

TimRiggins wrote: »

I'd like to think Rumble will beat Jones but I don't know, Rumble did put away a guy Jones couldn't for 5 rounds.

I want this to happen so bad that if I had a choice of rumble beating jones
    or conor beating aldo I'd choose rumble
    I'm sure I'm not alone either

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Oregano_State

Belfort is a bit of an unknown quantity I think. He hasn't fought in 18 months. Are we going to see the ripped to shreds, head-kicking beast that was TRT-era Belfort, or will it be what a 38 year old fighter who is also a normal human being, should be capable of?

• Advertisement

Belfort is a bit of an unknown quantity I think. He hasn't fought in 18 months. Are we going to see the ripped to shreds, head-kicking beast that was TRT-era Belfort, or will it be what a 38 year old fighter who is also a normal human being, should be capable of?
    Who knows what a TRT boost would have done for his longevity.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,353 ✭✭✭xtal191

New drug testing doesnt come in until July anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭weemcd

To be fair to Vitor he passed a couple of random tests in the past couple of months, but then again who knows. Shape of his face looks completely different to when he was on the juice, I'd expect him to look very different come weigh ins, though he'll probably make weight much easier without all that muscle.

xtal191 wrote: »
    New drug testing doesnt come in until July anyway.

I know but I'm sure a lot of people who are using stuff will be using the next few months to get themselves clean before that July deadline.

Not ideal fight preparation.

I know but I'm sure a lot of people who are using stuff will be using the next few months to get themselves clean before that July deadline.

Not ideal fight preparation.
    It's not really a deadline though.

Fighters are currently tested on fight night by the commission . They are also currently randomly tested out of comp.
    The only thing that's changing in July is the frequency. There's no new tests being suggested afaik. So a fighter that is juicing has the same issues when it comes to passing.

Using Vitor as an example, July will change nothing for him. He'll almost certainly be random tested, prior to UFC187 anyway, and fight night tested again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Oregano_State

The only way it will work properly is if they bring in a biological passport system and test all fighters year-round, not just in the lead up to a fight. If a UFC fighter has a fight in July that he wants to juice for, he'd be cycling on stuff now most likely.

I really hope the UFC go hard core on this now, taking athletics and cycling as examples, because PED use will ruin the sport if it is allowed continue the way it's been heading.

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭johnpro

I'm really hopeful they can clean the sport up but being pessimistic/realistic it'll never happen, even with the proposed new changes. The reality is that in every sport there will always be those who try to cheat, it's just human nature.

At the minute the current potential rewards of success far outweigh any potential risk/downside to being caught. If the UFC can enforce much harsher penalties for offenders and also reward clean fighters financially this will be big incentive to stop the use of banned substances.

With the introduction of random testing it means guys cycling basic stuff will be at risk of getting caught but anyone getting caught after the deadline is either too stupid or too cheap to pass the test. It's widely accepted that the chemists are so far ahead of the testers it's not even funny so if any of the big earners decided to fork out they could easily avail of a designer drug that no test exists for and keep conning everyone like lance did.

Fair play to the UFC for tackling it head on (assuming the act on their words of course) and it's the best thing for the long term future of the sport as well as the health of the fighters.

I'd be lying if I Said there wasn't a tiny part of me that thinks "let them all take whatever they want and just fight"...I'm
    Still not happy about sonnen and wandy being cancelled :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,547 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Frank Mir avoided trouble after accidentally bringing a few bullets through airport security. Source

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭EuskalHerria

Frank Mir avoided trouble after accidentally bringing a few bullets through airport security. Source

Without his bullets, I expect Mir to use his ground game on bigfoot instead.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement