Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General UFC Chit Chat/News

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,802 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

weemcd wrote: »
    Goldberg is fighting in Glory. He's gonna get murdered unless he fights a bum. I watched a training video he did a while back with a fighter, could have possibly been Kimbo, can't remember, but he wasn't fit for it. He's not young either.
    Goldberg the ufc presenter????

• Registered Users Posts: 19,193 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Dtp1979 wrote: »

Yeah. He was gonna be fighting Alberto Del Rio but they had cancel.

http://www.wrestlinginc.com/wi/news/2015/0323/591647/goldberg-says-he-was-offered-a-fight-with-alberto-del-rio/

He ended up in a psych ward as he was unable to stop himself screaming DAY JANEIRO every time someone mentioned his opponent.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭weemcd

Dtp1979 wrote: »

Lol its Goldberg the ex pro wrestler

https://youtu.be/WYogEeThfhY - that's him training with kimbo a few years ago

• Registered Users Posts: 12,802 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

weemcd wrote: »
    Lol its Goldberg the ex pro wrestler

https://youtu.be/WYogEeThfhY - that's him training with kimbo a few years ago

Ah right. Never watched wrestling

• Registered Users Posts: 29,829 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Fantastic article by Chuck Mindenhall about his search for Jason Thacker who was on TUF 1 and completely dropped off the grid. Says in the article but very true, his story before, during and after TUF could have been a movie, albeit a very sad one.

http://www.mmafighting.com/2015/3/24/8259545/in-search-of-strange-brew

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

The UFC are repeatedly getting stung by scheduling Mighty Mouse in the Co main. Same thing happened with Jones Cormier, the fight for postponed, and DJ vs Cariaso was the "main event", even though McGregor and Cerrones fights were by far more interesting. I remember the crowd was absolutely dead when he fought Cariaso.

A Ppv with Johnson vs Horiguchui as main event, and the only other stars on the card are Rampage and Bisping, is going to do terribly.

It really is a shame, because DJ is obviously an unbelievable operator, but I don't think he's ever going to have any sort of star power in the ufc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭peejay1986

dulux99 wrote: »
    The UFC are repeatedly getting stung by scheduling Mighty Mouse in the Co main. Same thing happened with Jones Cormier, the fight for postponed, and DJ vs Cariaso was the "main event", even though McGregor and Cerrones fights were by far more interesting. I remember the crowd was absolutely dead when he fought Cariaso.

A Ppv with Johnson vs Horiguchui as main event, and the only other stars on the card are Rampage and Bisping, is going to do terribly.

It really is a shame, because DJ is obviously an unbelievable operator, but I don't think he's ever going to have any sort of star power in the ufc.

I'd be throwing money to get something added to that card. Something that can at least add a narrative. Could they tempt Dodson vs. Zach Makovsky to push forward a month? Very late notice at this stage but it'd at least be interesting to have Dodson and DJ on the same card. Possibly build the card around that.

Reading that Cyborg has been signed to ufc and working with people to get down to 135.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,931 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

sheehy83 wrote: »
    Reading that Cyborg has been signed to ufc and working with people to get down to 135.

working wit who? A amputation surgeon? :pac::pac:

• Advertisement

sheehy83 wrote: »

Not sure how true it is but Tito Ortiz said on the Fighter & The Kid podcast last week that Cyborg had in fact signed with the UFC a while back but they were keeping it hush hush

I hate the UFC's hypocrisy when it comes to Cyborg. When the idea of Rousey meeting at a catch weight of 140 is put to Dana or Rousey herself, they dismiss it as if it was the most ridiculous thing they've ever heard. However when there was talks of Gina Carano coming back, of course there was absolutely no problem in doing a catch weight then.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,321 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I hate the UFC's hypocrisy when it comes to Cyborg. When the idea of Rousey meeting at a catch weight of 140 is put to Dana or Rousey herself, they dismiss it as if it was the most ridiculous thing they've ever heard. However when there was talks of Gina Carano coming back, of course there was absolutely no problem in doing a catch weight then.
    Meeting at 140 is a ridiculous idea. It's 5lbs from two actual weights FFS. Plus no title.

They specifically said they wouldnt do a catchweight for Carano either. It'd be pointless have this big fight with no titke on the line.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭stiffler123

Mellor wrote: »
    Meeting at 140 is a ridiculous idea. It's 5lbs from two actual weights FFS. Plus no title.

They specifically said they wouldnt do a catchweight for Carano either. It'd be pointless have this big fight with no titke on the line.

Why though? They are both champions, it makes sense to me.

Cyborg wins and Rousey is still the champ? Has to be at 135!

Champ should never have to move up for contender.

Ariel tweeted that Zuffa signed her so she can get a ufc fight when she makes 135, she will fight Invicta at 145 in the mean time.

MrStuffins wrote: »
    Cyborg wins and Rousey is still the champ? Has to be at 135!

BJ Penn fought GSP when both were champions. The world didn't end.

They'd be meeting at a catchweight because it's a superfight.

http://www.mmafighting.com/2014/3/14/5509740/ronda-rousey-would-fight-at-a-catchweight-but-only-against-gina-carano

"Ronda Rousey would fight at a catchweight, but only against Gina Carano"

Second of all, look at the size of Cyborg. She's enormous

cyborgedgar.png

Rousey is forever talking about wanting to be known as one of the best of all time, but she simply isn't in the conversation, with the competition she's fighting.

If she does eventually fight Cyborg at 135, and wins, people will just talk about how Cyborg was completely trained. Sad but true.

What I don't want to see, but fear, is Cyborg cutting to 135lbs and sacrificing her ability in doing so. Then if Rousey beats her we'll have no answer because we'll get... (a) Rousey is the better fighter and therefore won or (b) Cyborg isn't the same level when she cuts to 135lbs so wasn't able to give a good account of herself.

If they're doing this to answer questions and clarify who is the better fighter, it has to be done fairly or not at all. A physically drained Cyborg fighting Rousey will not eliminate the doubters.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

Not the UFC it was Ronda herself who said that, It's hardly hypocrisy Gina is 32 and inactive for 5 or 6 years it's highly likely she could lose to someone outside of Rousey so they'd prob have to put that together straight away and possibly weigh up exceptions for the fight. Fans are unsure if Gina is still capable and would accept this.

They know Cyborg is capable and It's been known for quite sometime that a Cyborg/Rousey bout would be 135 or not at all, there is no 145 division in the UFC. Do people really wanna see a non-title fight between the two and tell Cyborg you lost go back to Invicta/you won oh Rondas still champ but fair fecks ta ya.

http://www.mmafighting.com/2014/3/14/5509740/ronda-rousey-would-fight-at-a-catchweight-but-only-against-gina-carano

• Advertisement

Because the UFC title is fought at 135.
    A 140 fight is irrelevant in terms of the title, but has the potential to really cheapen it.
    For example imagine if RDA weighed in at 156 for his fight with Pettis, it becomes a catchweight. Then he dismantled Pettis, but Pettis walks away with the title. It's a hard sell to promote Pettis as champ after that.

If Cyborg wants to challenge Rousey for her title, she needs to follow through with her talk of moving to 135.

They were both UFC champions and BJ was fighting for the UFC Welterweight title.

Ronda is hardly gonna fight at 140 for the 145 Invicta title on a UFC card.

MrStuffins wrote: »
    They were both UFC champions and BJ was fighting for the UFC Welterweight title.

Ronda is hardly gonna fight at 140 for the 145 Invicta title on a UFC card.

They are both world champions. Cyborg is the best 145er female in the world. There should be a 145 womens division in the UFC and I'm sure there will be in time. The strawweight division was only brought in a few months ago.

When did I say Ronda would fight for the Invicta title?

For me, the whole point of the Rousey v Cyborg fight is to see who the best female fighter is. I don't really care about the ufc bantamweight title. Ronda even begun her mma career at 145

But BJ moved up to 170 for the fight. He came to GSP's weight to challange. That's the point.
    peejay1986 wrote: »
    If they're doing this to answer questions and clarify who is the better fighter, it has to be done fairly or not at all. A physically drained Cyborg fighting Rousey will not eliminate the doubters.
    The question, at the minute, is who is the better BW fighter.
    Cormier would have been stronger if he fought Jones at HW, that doesn't invalidate Jones' wins or make it unfair - he's the best LHW in the world.

*personally I think they'll have to stick her in her own open division to save the 135 division from ruin. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

For me, the whole point of the Rousey v Cyborg fight is to see who the best female fighter is. I don't really care about the ufc bantamweight title. Ronda even begun her mma career at 145

She even fought Cyborgs last opponent (Tweet) catchweight at 150 pounds early on thats not the point though...Its arguably an advantage for Cyborg to fight at 140 just say as it is her being disadvantaged at 135.

The question, at the minute, is who is the better BW fighter.
    Cormier would have been stronger if he fought Jones at HW, that doesn't invalidate Jones' wins or make it unfair - he's the best LHW in the world

True, but Cormier doesn't have an issue getting to 205. By all accounts Cyborg will for 135.

I'm not saying it'll invalidate Rousey's win but it'll leave a lot of questions unanswered and the reason this fight would happen is to silence those.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,762 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

I think Cyborg should just stick to her guns and just wait, Rousey is probably going to run out of opponents real soon.

I just want to know who is the better fighter, the 135 belt is close to worthless at this point while Rousey is so many levels above almost all the rest of her division

peejay1986 wrote: »
    True, but Cormier doesn't have an issue getting to 205. By all accounts Cyborg will for 135.

I'm not saying it'll invalidate Rousey's win but it'll leave a lot of questions unanswered and the reason this fight would happen is to silence those.
    Cormier had to work pretty hard to get to 205 I'd say. He was 240+ at one point.

Do you think Jones' run has questions because he hasn't fought Cain?

There's nothing stopping Cyborg making 135lbs, a bit a work and a diet (and drop the winny) but she can't make it from her current weight. She doesn't want to shed the weight advantage

The fact is she's been scheduled to fight at 135 in invicta, but pulled out after a holiday in thailand. If she ever makes 135lbs in invicta, she gets the insta-titleshot in the UFC. I'm pretty sure she's signed a contract to that effect. I've said it before, they'd be mad to book the titleshot before she makes 135.

• Advertisement

They are both world champions. Cyborg is the best 145er female in the world. There should be a 145 womens division in the UFC and I'm sure there will be in time. The strawweight division was only brought in a few months ago.

When did I say Ronda would fight for the Invicta title?

Because you used BJ fighting GSP as an example. BJ wanted to challenge for GSP's belt.

This fight should be for the title. And the only that could possibly on the line is the 135 belt.

Cyborg is a known drugs cheat. Any guesses as to why she "can't" make 135? She just doesn't want to as she will have the biggest possible advantage at a higher weight.

If she can make 140, she can make 135!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement