Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General UFC Chit Chat/News

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,748 ✭✭✭rolexeagle1

• Registered Users Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

That Masvidal fight would been class, shame.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,321 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I for one would be happy to see him get a named fighter. Yeah he would lose to Bendo but it would get his name more recognition
    I don't see how a catastrophic loss would get him any recognition. If it was a close fight then sure, but it would be.
    I agree he hasnt been great. I just dont agree with stuff like that he is one of the 3 worst fighters on the roster. I would like to see all the Irish fighters do well, I have no problem with people criticizing his wins but some people take it a step too far.

3 worst is probably taking it a bit far. There's a lot of fighters. Maybe 100 WWs.
    It's not unfair to say he is in the bottom 10 of those WWs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭stiffler123

I think it means exactly what i think it means

resentment of any person who has achieved success - Some Irish People seem to hate the fact that Pendred is 3-0 in the UFC.

No they don't, people want him to do well but they also recognize he is very limited ability-wise and there was a lot of good fortune and bad judging that helped him get that 3-0 record.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,803 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Does anybody from SBG post here?. Is Cathal working hard on his boxing?

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    Does anybody from SBG post here?. Is Cathal working hard on his boxing?

The answer to your first question is yes anyway ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,735 ✭✭✭ASOT

Diaz Brown is official for 189, Brown will maul Diaz IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 29,829 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

ASOT wrote: »

And won't it be delicious!

Nate tweeted 'Nah, I'm fighting Pettis'. Looking forward to seeing him kiss the canvas.

sheehy83 wrote: »
    And won't it be delicious!

Nate tweeted 'Nah, I'm fighting Pettis'. Looking forward to seeing him kiss the canvas.

I love brown its going to be great watching him take nates head off with those elbows!!,

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 11,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. Manager

He may not be the greatest but saying he is one of the 3 worst fighters is ridiculous. Typical begrudgery.

I for one would be happy to see him get a named fighter. Yeah he would lose to Bendo but it would get his name more recognition

It's not begrudgery. He's a shít fighter for the UFC - I'm not sure that's fighter bashing but he's garbage in comparison to even middle tier guys in the WW division. He has no business being 3-0.
    I think it means exactly what i think it means

resentment of any person who has achieved success - Some Irish People seem to hate the fact that Pendred is 3-0 in the UFC. They may have been close fights but at the end of the day he has been successful so far and people here resent that

Fair play to him for being successful. I wish him all the success. Just don't think he belongs in the mix of things with the UFC. He has shown absolutely zero improvement in his standup since making his debut.
    I agree he hasnt been great. I just dont agree with stuff like that he is one of the 3 worst fighters on the roster. I would like to see all the Irish fighters do well, I have no problem with people criticizing his wins but some people take it a step too far.

Maybe top 3 was harsh but there's not a fúcking chance I'd even consider taking him outside the top 10 worst fighters on the roster.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

I see Chael Sonnen's done what he does best and made the outrageous claim that Ireland hasn't produced any boxers of worth, so by proxy, McGregor's boxing can't be that good.

Cue faux internet outrage.

Seery & Tim Elliot verbally agreed to fight currently getting a twitter campaign going!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,339 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

I would happily match this offer. Pendred is a bit special in the head if he thinks that he has half a chance at even getting the OK for this fight...

He's in the top three worst fighters on the UFC roster. There is nothing, absolutely nothing, appealing about his fights.

Ara his fights are not exciting (well the King fight was in fairness) but he's nowhere near the worst 3 fighters in the UFC. In fact he's probably nowhere even close. They have about 400 to 500 contracted fighters.

Despite his unappealing style, Pendred would probably still beat a lot of other fighters in his division.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,325 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Despite his unappealing style, Pendred would probably still beat a lot of other fighters in his division.

Anyone who Pendred beats convincingly deserves to be cut imo.

Brown posted a pic of his contract for the fight with diaz. It says 5 rounds! It's not even co main and if the ufc add a 3rd title fight to the card, i wonder will all the fights on the main card be 5 rounds if ufc really want to make it standout.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭Beersmith

But how would it be a title fight?!

Beersmith wrote: »
    But how would it be a title fight?!

No, i read ufc are looking to add dillashaw/barao to the card to have 3 title fights.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,738 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

No, i read ufc are looking to add dillashaw/barao to the card to have 3 title fights.

Be a bit of overkill really

They'd be better off adding it to 188, co main to Velasquez/Werdum

Was it here or a different thread i read that UFC want the card for International Fight Week to basically be a wrestlemania type super card every year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭Beersmith

id prefer just 1 title fight per card. 2 means there is 1 less main card fight as they have to allow for the time. so 3 would mean just 1 other main card fight?! pretty crap with huge gaps if the title fights finish quick!

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Brown posted a pic of his contract for the fight with diaz. It says 5 rounds! It's not even co main and if the ufc add a 3rd title fight to the card, i wonder will all the fights on the main card be 5 rounds if ufc really want to make it standout.

I wonder if the 5 rounds contract is a precaution in case a big headliner pulls out from one of the Fight Night cards.

This could sell as a Fight Night headliner if needs be.

Just a guess really.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,325 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Beersmith wrote: »
    id prefer just 1 title fight per card. 2 means there is 1 less main card fight as they have to allow for the time. so 3 would mean just 1 other main card fight?! pretty crap with huge gaps if the title fights finish quick!

2 title fights does not shorten the main card.

187 has 2 title fights and still 5 on the main section.

3 title fights might though.

Ah Brown said the 5 must have been a mistake but he'd be glad to fight any amount of rounds.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,858 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

ASOT wrote: »

should be entertaining though
    he won't have to goad brown into an all out brawl for sure
    another terrible match up for nate

I don't think they have the ability to any fight other than title fights or main events a 5 rounder. Prob just a typo.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

I actually really think Diaz has a good chance against Brown. Brown will be much bigger, but I think diaz is definitely the more skilled fighter, when he has his napper sorted. If the same Diaz shows up, as the one who beat Marcus Davis and Donald Cerrone then I think he can pull it off. That's a massive 'if' though. I still maintain that Diaz' performance vs (an admittedly old) Takanori Gomi was one of the best overall examples of MMA I've ever seen.

MagicIRL wrote: »
    I see Chael Sonnen's done what he does best and made the outrageous claim that Ireland hasn't produced any boxers of worth, so by proxy, McGregor's boxing can't be that good.

Cue faux internet outrage.
    I think it was said more in relation to, so who the hell is conor training with?
    And I think he just dropped boxing in with wrestling, bjj, etc. was more a throwaway comment than something he thought about.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Mellor wrote: »
    I think it was said more in relation to, so who the hell is conor training with?
    And I think he just dropped boxing in with wrestling, bjj, etc. was more a throwaway comment than something he thought about.

Someone on Twitter called him on it and he took it back. It was a comment taken out of context methinks.

• Advertisement

That_Guy wrote: »
    Someone on Twitter called him on it and he took it back. It was a comment taken out of context methinks.

It was on his podcast, it was more complimentary to McGregor than suggesting his boxing wasn't good.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement