Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General UFC Chit Chat/News

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Yoel Romero injured and has to pull out of his fight v Jacare Souza.
    I hope this isn't the start of the injury bug.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,736 ✭✭✭ASOT

Maldonado's replacement has been found in the form of Steve Bosses who will be making his UFC Debut ....

http://www.mmafighting.com/2015/4/10/8385149/with-rampage-jackson-out-steve-bosse-faces-fabio-maldonado-at-ufc-186

ASOT wrote: »
    Maldonado's replacement has been found in the form of Steve Bosses who will be making his UFC Debut ....

http://www.mmafighting.com/2015/4/10/8385149/with-rampage-jackson-out-steve-bosse-faces-fabio-maldonado-at-ufc-186

I know the LHW division is pretty sparse in terms of numbers but FFS, the UFC really dropped the ball on this one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,939 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

That_Guy wrote: »
    I know the LHW division is pretty sparse in terms of numbers but FFS, the UFC really dropped the ball on this one.

yeah, surely they realised there was a good chance Dampage wouldn't be allowed to fight, and had a replacement on stand by, a bit higher calibre than Bosse

• Registered Users Posts: 1,748 ✭✭✭rolexeagle1

http://www.mmanews.us/white-promises-to-bring-ufc-to-dublin/ - Dana White promises to bring UFC to Croke park.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

That article looks like its hobbled together, I wouldn't expect Croke Park this year, McGregor only figting July surely be 3/4 months at least until next fight Croke Park in October I think not.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,169 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

If a fight were to be held in Croker would it be worth going to as you're so far away from the action?

I went to one of Ireland's game in the rugby there and for the price I paid for the ticket to what I could actually see wasn't great value.

CatFromHue wrote: »
    If a fight were to be held in Croker would it be worth going to as you're so far away from the action?

I went to one of Ireland's game in the rugby there and for the price I paid for the ticket to what I could actually see wasn't great value.

Of the 6 UFC events i've been to i've watched a lot of the action on the big screens, the atmosphere on any Croke card would be unreal and worth the ticket price alone IMO, as they'd have to have some huge names on the card

The staging required for Screens alone for Croker would be some hassle the big screen they have is great however imagine they would require a couple more, harder to do that outdoor venue I would imagine.

I would expect for 150 - 250 euro you would be sitting equivalently close as you would in the point. In croker I would expect the back seats to be shipping for 60 euro or they will have trouble filling it. Its only thing to have 60k people looking for free tickets its another to fill croker. They won't do Croker out of season or without McGregor so it will be a year before Croker happens if at all.

JoeyJJ wrote: »
    The staging required for Screens alone for Croker would be some hassle the big screen they have is great however imagine they would require a couple more, harder to do that outdoor venue I would imagine.

I would expect for 150 - 250 euro you would be sitting equivalently close as you would in the point. In croker I would expect the back seats to be shipping for 60 euro or they will have trouble filling it. Its only thing to have 60k people looking for free tickets its another to fill croker. They won't do Croker out of season or without McGregor so it will be a year before Croker happens if at all.

When they do i'd love to see a HUGE show, with 2 title fights, top names all over the card, they could market it well in the U.S and failing putting it on PPV they could time delay on FOX. Gate receipts alone would be the biggest grossing event ever held in Ireland

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,462 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

scudzilla wrote: »
    When they do i'd love to see a HUGE show, with 2 title fights, top names all over the card, they could market it well in the U.S and failing putting it on PPV they could time delay on FOX. Gate receipts alone would be the biggest grossing event ever held in Ireland

Tape delay has turned out been pretty poor in the past. I can't see it happening with being a PPV. It just doesn't doesn't make enough money otherwise.
    UFC 189 will do a $7million gate.
    Croker will do about $10million gate.
    When you subtract the massive set up costs for Croker verses a ready to go venue in Vegas, it really it's bring in a huge amount of extra money.

It needs PPV to justify a big event. Unless it's going to be the "fight night" event ever, not title shot. $10 million smashes current $2mil events.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

In order to do Croker you need a card that's so tasty the Americans will buy the PPV at a different time, and one that drags in viewers from all across Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

I still can't believe the UFC have let this Rampage Jackson farce happen. He was so clearly under contract with Bellator, and the whole world seemed to know, apart from the UFC themselves.

Also, is Rampage even worth all this hassle? I really don't think so, he hasn't been interesting in about five years

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,605 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

dulux99 wrote: »
    Also, is Rampage even worth all this hassle? I really don't think so, he hasn't been interesting in about five years

I'd imagine they didn't want him, but taking him from Bellator would mean one less PPV draw for their main competitor.

I still can't believe the UFC have let this Rampage Jackson farce happen. He was so clearly under contract with Bellator, and the whole world seemed to know, apart from the UFC themselves.
    I imagine they are well aware he had a contract with Bellator, but there's no way you can force somebody to complete a contract. Simply can't force him to fight on their show.
    The only question was would the courts Issue an injunction, turns out yes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,605 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Also just spotted that the Drew Dober/Silva fight was overturned. Good to see

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

Mellor wrote: »
    I imagine they are well aware he had a contract with Bellator, but there's no way you can force somebody to complete a contract. Simply can't force him to fight on their show.
    The only question was would the courts Issue an injunction, turns out yes.

In the UFC's official statement, they said they were surprised that Rampage misrepresentated the terms of his Bellator contract. That would seem to me, that they basically took his word for it. Scott Coker also said in December that he spoke to the UFC and advised them that there was absolutely no way Rampage could legally fight at 186.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,794 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

I'd imagine they didn't want him, but taking him from Bellator would mean one less PPV draw for their main competitor.
    that seemed like it was the plan, but then they went and put him as the co main event with one of their weakest draws on a weak card, it's a serious ****up

In the UFC's official statement, they said they were surprised that Rampage misrepresentated the terms of his Bellator contract. That would seem to me, that they basically took his word for it.
    I wouldn't believe everything you read in official statements.
    Most likely, they're just distancing themselves from any wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭TimRiggins

I really really really hope 187 stays together. Its such a great card. Jones and Weidman both have legit contenders and both Rumble and Vitor have the ability to finish anyone on the feet.

Khabib will probably kill Cowboy but I wouldn't be shocked to see Cowboy get him with something off his back.

Probably two number one contender fights on the main card aswell with Arlovski v Brown.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

Khabib is an animal. I like Cowboy, but I reckon Khabib just smashes him and makes it look easy, too.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,151 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

MagicIRL wrote: »
    In order to do Croker you need a card that's so tasty the Americans will buy the PPV at a different time, and one that drags in viewers from all across Europe.

That doesn’t make any sense and is at best wishful thinking.

That ‘tasty’ card would do so much better in normal PPV time in the States. Why would the UFC throw away that kind of money?

McGregor has gotten to the point where it nearly doesn’t make economic sense to do a stadium event in Dublin, especially if he wins the title. I think it’s actually more likely to happen if he loses and then has a number 1 contender fight next summer or if they change the late license rules. Very outside chance is they do some deal with Fox to have a McGregor title fight that runs early USA time but I couldn’t see many other massive names or titles being on the card. They’d hope to sell the stadium off the McGregor bandwagon.

Also I would question euro cards timings, UFC were in Poland last week and I couldn't watch it live on TV. Whats the point in EMEA cards if we can't watch them on TV live? I understand it was probably live on fightpass and in some other countries however UK and Ireland market would have been nicer to have it all live while its in our time zone.

Foxtrol wrote: »
    That doesn’t make any sense and is at best wishful thinking.

That ‘tasty’ card would do so much better in normal PPV time in the States. Why would the UFC throw away that kind of money?

McGregor has gotten to the point where it nearly doesn’t make economic sense to do a stadium event in Dublin, especially if he wins the title. I think it’s actually more likely to happen if he loses and then has a number 1 contender fight next summer or if they change the late license rules. Very outside chance is they do some deal with Fox to have a McGregor title fight that runs early USA time but I couldn’t see many other massive names or titles being on the card. They’d hope to sell the stadium off the McGregor bandwagon.

Unless Big FOX wanted an earlier card with big names however I imagine that wouldn't be the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,151 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

JoeyJJ wrote: »
    Unless Big FOX wanted an earlier card with big names however I imagine that wouldn't be the case.

McGregor as champ would be one of company’s biggest draws so for FOX to get him on a card I doubt they’d also get UFC to stack it. Look at the Fox events thus far, outside of the one off first fox event what other ‘needle movers’ have appeared or anticipated title fights have there been? I really think him ever being on a FOX card as champion would be very unlikely, forgetting him as champ plus a stacked card.

Yeah as I said I wouldn't expect it either.

Dillashaw v Barao II
    Myles Jury v Anthony Pettis
    Jessica Eye v Miesha Tate

All added to Fight Night on "big FOX" July 25th.

That is one hell of a line up so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,373 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

That_Guy wrote: »
    Dillashaw v Barao II
    Myles Jury v Anthony Pettis
    Jessica Eye v Miesha Tate

All added to Fight Night on "big FOX" July 25th.

That is one hell of a line up so far.

Piss.

That's 3 big fights made for July 25th instead of July 11th.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 863 ✭✭✭bjj-fighter

im actually such a stupid ****

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭TimRiggins

Pettis could well kill Myles Jury.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement