Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General UFC Chit Chat/News

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,437 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

dulux99 wrote: »
    Agreed. I know they're pals of his, but the likes of Duncan Trussell and Ari Shaffir are about as funny as a kick in the balls.

Also, any of the podcasts with Bill Burr and Jim Norton. Absolutely love those ones.

I think Duncan Trussell can be very funny at times.

Any of the podcasts with Joey Diaz or Dom Irrerra are worth a listen too.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,931 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

My fav JRE was Chris Hadfield, the astronaut fella

• Registered Users Posts: 19,193 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

The John McAfee one was pretty special!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,738 ✭✭✭Naos

I enjoy the Fight Companion ones - Eddie Bravo went through my head on the first one and I thought I wouldn't enjoy them but after a while you get used to him. Brendan Schaub & Brian Callen are very funny on them too.

Check out 'Fighter and the Kid' with Brendan & Brian - very good combo and Brendan provides some great insight into training camps/UFC events.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,829 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

scudzilla wrote: »
    My fav JRE was Chris Hadfield, the astronaut fella

That was brilliant but then i could listen to Chris Hadfield read the phonebook.

• Advertisement

El Guapo! wrote: »

Any of the podcasts with Joey Diaz or Dom Irrerra are worth a listen too.

Joe Rogan as guest on Joey Diaz' Church of What's Happening Now is pretty good too - he's a little more chilled and fun than when he's bossing Redban around.
    But I'm a big CoCo Diaz fan, he's just so entertaining and such a good storyteller. He's had 'Big' John McCarthy and Herb Dean on - pretty good, and Rich Franklin too amongst others.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭TimRiggins

Cali_girl wrote: »
    Joe Rogan as guest on Joey Diaz' Church of What's Happening Now is pretty good too - he's a little more chilled and fun than when he's bossing Redban around.
    But I'm a big CoCo Diaz fan, he's just so entertaining and such a good storyteller. He's had 'Big' John McCarthy and Herb Dean on - pretty good, and Rich Franklin too amongst others.

He's not bad on twitter either

https://twitter.com/madflavor/status/578567316981436416

• Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭weemcd

Cali_girl wrote: »

Saw Big John interview but I didn't realise he had Herb Dean on. Must get a look at that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Redmen Rafalution

Maybe I'm paranoid but with Machida's loss and Romero pulling out of his bout at very short notice, is this the first impact of the UFC's new drug policy?

Are top guys cycling off and encountering problems? It will be interesting to see what fighters drop off in the coming months and which fighters come to the fore.

Maybe those two examples are fairly tenuous, but it was something that crossed my mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,803 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Maybe I'm paranoid but with Machida's loss and Romero pulling out of his bout at very short notice, is this the first impact of the UFC's new drug policy?

Are top guys cycling off and encountering problems? It will be interesting to see what fighters drop off in the coming months and which fighters come to the fore.

Maybe those two examples are fairly tenuous, but it was something that crossed my mind.

Dunno about Romero but machida was doing ok until he got knocked down. Then he has a huge rochold on him for the round and he took a bad beating

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,322 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

The new drugs policy hasn't commenced yet.
    Fighters on the last weekends card faced the same issue as on previous card.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Redmen Rafalution

Mellor wrote: »
    The new drugs policy hasn't commenced yet.
    Fighters on the last weekends card faced the same issue as on previous card.

I know that, but I was thinking of fighters who might be cycling off in prep for the new system.

It was just a random thought though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭EuskalHerria

• Registered Users Posts: 29,829 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

UFC announced that for the new Reebok deals, fighters won't be paid based on rank any more. They will now be paid by tenure. The pay brackets are 1-5 fights, 6-10 fights, etc. It's great that maybe it will stop people (especially champs taking it easy after fights and give them more motivation to get back in action.

Surely champs get more money though. Cowboy will be a millionaire in no time.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

sheehy83 wrote: »
    UFC announced that for the new Reebok deals, fighters won't be paid based on rank any more. They will now be paid by tenure. The pay brackets are 1-5 fights, 6-10 fights, etc. It's great that maybe it will stop people (especially champs taking it easy after fights and give them more motivation to get back in action.

Surely champs get more money though. Cowboy will be a millionaire in no time.

You'd make more money as champing fighting every 7-8 months than not the champ fighting every 3-4

I know that, but I was thinking of fighters who might be cycling off in prep for the new system.

It was just a random thought though!
    What do you think "cycling off" entails?

Regardless of the new policy, fighters on PEDs would have always needed to cycle off for fight night.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

This is quite brilliant from Nate Quarry and all those involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

So Anderson is a ban with the atheltic commission and now he has been approved to try out for TKD in the 2016 Olympics

dave1982 wrote: »
    So Anderson is a ban with the atheltic commission and now he has been approved to try out for TKD in the 2016 Olympics

Afaik the NSAC haven't had his hearing yet. But the time they formally ban him, he could only have a few months left.
    As for TKD, I think it's a sort of open try-out. He's a blackbelt so, he can come down and compete for a spot.
    Can't see that happening though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭Beersmith

The UFC paying fighters based on their number of fights is weird. Id prefer a system where they are paid on number of wins in the organization. That would actually reward the better fighters and also make sure fighters keep active but not just fight as much as possible that winning or losing is just as good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭TimRiggins

Beersmith wrote: »
    The UFC paying fighters based on their number of fights is weird. Id prefer a system where they are paid on number of wins in the organization. That would actually reward the better fighters and also make sure fighters keep active but not just fight as much as possible that winning or losing is just as good.

No matter which way they split the money there is people going to say its the wrong way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭Beersmith

TimRiggins wrote: »
    No matter which way they split the money there is people going to say its the wrong way.

True but there is always a more fair way. Rewarding fighters who piddle along wlwlwlwl just because they rack up more fights isnt great when a wwww fighter facing higher caliber oppenents isnt fair. Tibau is going to be getting the most money ffs!

It's only sponsorship money that's paid by fights. The guy with more wins will absolutely be making more cash overall than the wlwlwl guy. nobody is going to be taking extra fights for the sake of a sponsorship increase.
    It makes sense to pay them that way as the guys with the longer UFC careers are going to be more visible on average. Which is what really matters to Reebok.

Besides, for the most part, the guys with the most fights have the most wins. Cowboy has most fights, and must wins. Tibau has 3rd most fights, and 4th wins.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

Thinking back on FN: Machida v Rockhold, if Ais the Bash beats Markos (I think she will), a match-up against Paige Van Zant would be a goldmine for her. She'd decimate the poor girl on the mat, and that sort of PvZ hype could easily get her the title shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭califano

Its a good system and id say new fighters debuting with a loss or an initial rocky period looked like being dropped much quicker than before.
    I wonder if youre dropped and taken back in does their tenure be reset to scratch.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,325 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

MagicIRL wrote: »
    Thinking back on FN: Machida v Rockhold, if Ais the Bash beats Markos (I think she will), a match-up against Paige Van Zant would be a goldmine for her. She'd decimate the poor girl on the mat, and that sort of PvZ hype could easily get her the title shot.

No offence, but I think there's a serious amount of green tinted specs around when it comes to Ais and that post is a perfect example.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

DrPhilG wrote: »
    No offence, but I think there's a serious amount of green tinted specs around when it comes to Ais and that post is a perfect example.

Did you watch PvZ v Herrig? Their ground game was pretty much non existent. I looked like Paige didn't even know how to begin passing Herrig's guard.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,325 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Herrig and Vanzant have a better ground game than Ais has standing.

And I'm not proclaiming either of them to be amazing. I just don't think Ais is particularly good. Seems like a great girl and I'm delighted to see her in the UFC, but she'll never get close to the belt imo.

DrPhilG wrote: »
    Herrig and Vanzant have a better ground game than Ais has standing.
    They definitely do, but great striking isn't very good against takedowns, back takes or chokes. Which was the point, I think.

Randa lost to Penne, so did Ais. Both were close fights, so it stands to reason that Ais could get the win here. And if she does she'll be only the second fighter to go 2-0 (outside the champ).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭xtal191

Lets hope she has no trouble making weight this time.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement