Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General UFC Chit Chat/News

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭TimRiggins

That_Guy wrote: »
    Nothing yet but you'd have to imagine it's off at this stage. It's still a strong card but it's fúcking annoying that one of the biggest fights of the year is likely to be called off.

Surely he's got to be cut. A low-mid level fighter would be dropped instantly. One of the UFC's supposed poster boys and a big face/name as champion. This is not a good image for the sport especially since there's been previous.

It's quite sad really.

EDIT: He's in big trouble now.

He's got to be cut? Are you mad? Do you think the UFC will let Jones go to Bellator or WSOF? Not a fear will he get cut.

Its unclear whether the fight is on/off at the point.. The pregnant woman has a broken arm but is okay, so this bodes well for Jones. If he avoids prison with the charges I don't see why the fight wouldn't go ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

Looks like a felony charge now. They are arranging an arrest warrant.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

It shouldn't be one rule for some and not for others. Jones is a top level fighter. I understand that. Cocaine charges and now this are not good for Jones, the UFC or the sport as a whole.

He needs to be made an example of. Nobody should be exempt from getting cut.

Will it happen? Probably not.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,193 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

It shouldn't be one rule for some and not for others.

Of course it should. Jon Jones is possibly the biggest star in the sport. He's worth more than almost everyone else and will be treated that way. If i'm the head of Barcelona and some young kid gets into serious legal trouble, he's gone!

If Messi does it, you better believe I ain't sacking him! In fact, if he'd killed somebody i'd probably help him bury the body!

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭csallmighty

Highly unlikely he'll get fired. The lhw division and the ufc need him.

Most likely he'll get a massive "punishment"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭Panic E

This is like the 5th car crash he's been in thats on record. Fled the scene, nobody know where he is

He's been under the influence before too and cited. Dude should probably consider hiring a driver.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

The longer he stays out of custody the worse it looks.

I kinda feel sorry for Demetrious Johnson in this case. Coming off one of his most impressive performances over the weekend and nobody's talking about him.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭John_D80

I don't think people are realising the gravity of this situation for Jon Jones. Everyone seems to be talking about whether or not he will be stripped of his title and/or released by the UFC.

This is the least of his worries. He'll do well to avoid jail time for what he has done.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,803 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

John_D80 wrote: »
    I don't think people are realising the gravity of this situation for Jon Jones. Everyone seems to be talking about whether or not he will be stripped of his title and/or released by the UFC.

This is the least of his worries. He'll do well to avoid jail time for what he has done.

True, but when your rich, famous and probably have the best lawyers the UFC can supply him with to keep him outa jail, it makes things a bit easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,735 ✭✭✭ASOT

Exactly what I was thinking, people dont see the severity of it, especially if he deosnt turn up soon .....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

The longer he stays out of custody the worse it looks.

I kinda feel sorry for Demetrious Johnson in this case. Coming off one of his most impressive performances over the weekend and nobody's talking about him.

:pac: This got a chuckle from me, he'll never be cared or talked about by most of the MMA watching public no matter how good he is.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

2 days in rehab for Jones this time?

I should put you away where you can't kill or maim us! But this is LA and you're rich and faaaaaammmmooouuusssss!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,211 ✭✭✭qwabercd

Yeah but it could be a while before he sees jail. Mayweather managed to squeeze a fight in between being convicted for wife beating and going to jail.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

If found guilty I'll go with his punishment being a suspended sentence, rehab, community service,

Possibly the UFC will take the belt but he'll win one fight and have it back the fight after that. But cut him? You're crazy if you think that happens to very valuable assets in the real world.

The UFC won't cut him. It's really not a good look for him though.

He's going to have a hard time cultivating that 'All American' image.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,735 ✭✭✭ASOT

Arrest warrant issued....

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭ps3man

He is in the federal crosshairs now.

I really feel bad for Rumble Johnson, the biggest moment of his career shadowed in this absolute mess. Hope the passenger of the other car recovers fully. She is in for a pretty payday from Zuffa

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

ps3man wrote: »
    He is in the federal crosshairs now.

I really feel bad for Rumble Johnson, the biggest moment of his career shadowed in this absolute mess. Hope the passenger of the other car recovers fully. She is in for a pretty payday from Zuffa

no she is not in the slightest. If that were the case of being able to sue employers the nfl would be bankrupt every damn season.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭TimRiggins

He'll get done with what, Reckless driving? Can't prove he was under the influence. No way is JBJ going to jail. No way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

TimRiggins wrote: »
    He'll get done with what, Reckless driving? Can't prove he was under the influence. No way is JBJ going to jail. No way.

he is facing a felony hit and run for breaking your ones arm, they don't have to prove he was under the influence, just he did it, hell he might actually be better if they did prove he was under the influence

• Registered Users Posts: 39,322 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

It shouldn't be one rule for some and not for others. Jones is a top level fighter. I understand that. Cocaine charges and now this are not good for Jones, the UFC or the sport as a whole.
    What cocaine charges? Pretty sure you just made that up.

He isn't working in public service. The UFC is a private business. They should do whatever is in their best interest (this would be even more true if it were a public company).
    They aren't there to uphold social morals. This is a matter for the courts.
    If he goes away, they strip the title or create an interim title. But once he has done his time, he'll be straight back in the game.
    Breaking a red light
    Reckless driving
    Fleeing the scene of a crime

He's broken a lot of laws without proving DUI. It isn't a first offense either.

He's in police custody now anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭John_D80

Lol, it's a little bit more serious than reckless driving!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 39,322 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

TUF try-outs were today. LW & WW
    Ryan Hall tried out apparently. Would be crazy if they don't put him through.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭Awesomeness

Mellor wrote: »
    TUF try-outs were today. LW & WW
    Ryan Hall tried out apparently. Would be crazy if they don't put him through.
    Also artem lobov

• Registered Users Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

Also artem lobov

Any man who can take a headkick like that and come back to win it deserves to be signed up straight away! Artem is the man!

MagicIRL wrote: »
    Any man who can take a headkick like that and come back to win it deserves to be signed up straight away! Artem is the man!

I was at this..... Artem got dominated for most of the fight. He's a really nice guy and it'd be cool to be him in TUF, but he's not UFC calibre!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭CurryFlavoured

He looks a bit small for featherweight never mind lightweight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,830 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Jones released on bail for 2.5k. The pregnant lady's name is SONNENberg. You couldn't make this up.

Kenflo thinks Jones (if convicted) should be stripped of the title but remain in the ufc. Unless he gets jailtime, i can't see ufc letting him go but if they strip his title, what rank do they make him and only a matter of time before he becomes champ again. Id say Dana is raging.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement