Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General UFC Chit Chat/News

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,193 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Yo!!! I'm looking time book tickets for Fight Night Berlin this week. I'll grab some in general sale on Friday, but if anyone wanted to PM me their Fight Club code for the presale tomorrow (unless they're using it) I'd be very appreciative :)

Edit: Tickets sales have been pushed back AGAIN. False alarm!

• Registered Users Posts: 39,322 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

sheehy83 wrote: »
    I thought that would be the first thing they would do to confirm what caused him to run a red but appatently the ABQ law treats the drugs and leavibg crime scene as 2 different kinds of felony so they go for the one that will stick.
    The marijuana possession is only a misdemeanor, not a felony.
    Without him present without him present when they found its hard to prove anything else.
    will he be tested for drugs? suppose they'll let him fight. then release the test results afterwards and he goes to rehab
    They'll test him on fight night. It'll probably be out of his system by then, assuming he was even using it.
    Smoking weed a few weeks out isn't against the rules, its only a banned substance during competition. (The cocaine last year wasn't against the rules either)

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

187 is going to do huge PPV numbers you'd imagine. It was all a publicity stunt to shift those remaining tickets. ;)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

Mellor wrote: »
    Smoking weed a few weeks out isn't against the rules, its only a banned substance during competition.

Lol if it was sure neither of the Diaz' would ever have managed to get inside the octagon!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

The marijuana possession is only a misdemeanor, not a felony.
    Without him present without him present when they found its hard to prove anything else.

They'll test him on fight night. It'll probably be out of his system by then, assuming he was even using it.
    Smoking weed a few weeks out isn't against the rules, its only a banned substance during competition. (The cocaine last year wasn't against the rules either)

did the UFC not recently sign up to different testing standards? in cycling if you test positive for marijuana or cocaine outside competition you can get a ban

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭dickwod1

did the UFC not recently sign up to different testing standards? in cycling if you test positive for marijuana or cocaine outside competition you can get a ban

Can't comment on cycling but the UFC or rather the AC's follow WADA afaik.
    The new testing standards are for frequency, and increases random tests.

Jones has been stripped. DC now fights Rumble for the belt.
    Seen it on FB, I assume it's true.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

Jones has been stripped. DC now fights Rumble for the belt.
    Seen it on FB, I assume it's true.

It is, see other thread. Official statement here

http://m.uk.ufc.com/news/UFC-Statement-on-Jon-Jones-042815?utm_campaign=UFC&utm_medium=social&utm_source=sprout&utm_content=1430277510

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭Panic E

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭John_D80

This is the right move by the UFC. No one fighter is bigger than the organisation.

Plus if he is convicted later on, they can claim the moral high ground and no one can criticise them. If he's cleared, he just carries on where he left off, fighting for the title, albeit as challenger rather than champ.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,830 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Wow. Right move but everyone knows whoever has the belt won't be a real champ until they beat bones.

Dc vs rumble is very interesting.

I'm not sure stripping him was necessarily the right way to go about it, but I LOVE DC v Johnson. Great fight! Come on DC!!!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 11,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. Manager

I dunno man... I think it was the right move. He's hardly been a poster boy for them recently and they wanted to uphold their athlete conduct policy I guess.

This whole fiasco saved him getting knocked out anyway :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

Stripping him was the best option. That gives the UFC so much ground to build on for Jones' inevitable return to glory. The UFC gets the good PR of acting responsibly and making a "statement", and when Jones comes back, you've got a whole Rocky-esque story to tell. Dollar, dollar, bills in PPV money!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

MqOPQIg.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭weemcd

Fair play to the UFC, I didn't think they would have the balls to chop down their most dominant champion like this. Sends the right message, even if they were too lenient when he failed his test for cocaine.

Jones seems to find it very hard to keep his nose clean. I doubt this will be the last time he's in trouble too, very unsavoury character.

Deviststed for Rumble, and that we've lost what could have been a great match. Dunno who wins between DC and Rumble but it's not the same calibre of fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

weemcd wrote: »
    Dunno who wins between DC and Rumble but it's not the same calibre of fight.

True and in fact fair to say should be co-main now? The only reason I can see it'll stay main is the coverage/controversy/baggage that has come from Jone's stripping etc.

In other news UFC have signed Michelle Waterson(The Karate Hottie) not to have an Atomweight division but to fight at 115.

I wonder who Bader fights next... Saint Preux again? Unless aul Fabio wants to fight him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

Styles make fights, and unfortunately for Jones ridiculous antics, we've been robbed of a fantastic Jones vs Johnson fight. I have no doubt DC beats Rumble, and we get DC vs Jones 2 this time next year, which won't be particularly interesting considering how the first one went.

• Advertisement

That_Guy wrote: »
    I wonder who Bader fights next... Saint Preux again? Unless aul Fabio wants to fight him.

Jimi Manuwa? God OSP/Bader was awful viewing the first time round

Jimi Manuwa? God OSP/Bader was awful viewing the first time round

Manuwa not a bad shout but his last fight in Poland was awful.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭CurryFlavoured

dulux99 wrote: »
    Styles make fights, and unfortunately for Jones ridiculous antics, we've been robbed of a fantastic Jones vs Johnson fight. I have no doubt DC beats Rumble, and we get DC vs Jones 2 this time next year, which won't be particularly interesting considering how the first one went.

Really? AJ has very good wrestling as well so I wouldn't be so sure about DC beating him. AJ vs JBJ would have been brilliant though.

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭csallmighty

Hope DC wins so Jones can embarrass him again on his road to redemption.

That_Guy wrote: »
    Manuwa not a bad shout but his last fight in Poland was awful.

Ya the whole card was, main event couldn't save it, the UFC are unlikely to have a card play out as bad this year. When are fights being announced for Glasgow.

Ya the whole card was, main event couldn't save it, the UFC are unlikely to have a card play out as bad this year. When are fights being announced for Glasgow.

Probably in about 2 weeks I'd say when tickets go on sale. There'll be an announcement on BT Sports' UFC show I'd say like they did for the Dublin card last year.

They've a lot of events on in July though and 189 hasn't been fully filled yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭TimRiggins

Khabib out of UFC 187.

It was never going to stay intact was it. Chris Weidman has gone about 2 months without an injury he's bound to get one now too.

TimRiggins wrote: »
    Khabib out of UFC 187.

It was never going to stay intact was it. Chris Weidman has gone about 2 months without an injury he's bound to get one now too.

Jon Jones ran him over

• Registered Users Posts: 29,830 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

TimRiggins wrote: »
    Khabib out of UFC 187.

Aw man, I thought you were joking!! :pac::mad::(:confused::eek: I'm in a glass box of emotion!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

Really? AJ has very good wrestling as well so I wouldn't be so sure about DC beating him. AJ vs JBJ would have been brilliant though.

AJ does have good wrestling, but nowhere near Cormiers wrestling. Cormier threw Josh Barnett around like he was a toddler

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement