Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General UFC Chit Chat/News

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭pauldoo

seadnamac wrote: »
    Overeem will retire Lesnar. Overeem has a savage guillotine and is a decent submission artist. Lesnar has no chance, he will finally be found out once and for all and MMA can breath a sigh of relief.

Yea, all those humongous PPV buyrates were a real burden for the sport...

Lesner has done a huge amount for the sport. he's got loads of new fans for the sport and improved its profile. i started watching ufc to see how the guy from wwe would get on,ever since mir Lesner I've been hooked,watched all the old cards and haven't missed one since

• Registered Users Posts: 29,831 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Epic news dec 30th can't come fast enough

• Registered Users Posts: 12,326 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

I just don't understand the hate for Lesnar.

He used to be a pro wrestler? So has Barnett, Shamrock, Abbott, and many more of the old names.

He's a mouth? Again, so are may top fighters. It sells PPVs, puts bums in seats and dollars in their pockets.

He got an unfair push to the top? So blame Dana. Hardly Brock's fault!

His success as a rookie makes a joke of the sport? He was a phenomenally successful amateur wrestler. The same background as many top fighters.

I see no reason to wish the man retired. It would be a sad loss to the sport IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,437 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

I think a lot of people hate Brock purely because he came from pro-wrestling. Now I hate pro-wrestling with a passion, I always did, but I can still see that Brock is an extremely talented athlete and has done amazingly well in the short time he's been involved in mma.

He's also done a hell of a lot for the sport and doesn't seem to get any recognition for it. I know a couple of guys who only got into mma when Brock made his debut and they haven't missed a card since. And I'd be willing to bet there's thousands more new fans who have Brock to thank for introducing them to mma.

I really can't wait for this fight. Personally I think Overeem is slightly over-rated but then Brock isn't the best fighter in history either. I think Overeem will win this one but it wont be the end of Lesnar. It'll be a big introduction for Overeem and will boost the HW division, and a loss for Brock will be put down to his recent illness and him not being 100%

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭Devastator

pauldoo wrote: »
    Lesner gets way too much of a hard time,he's had little.experience but has beaten randy,mir & carwin. hope he wins

Randy was 45/46 at the time. It was very evenly matched until Lesnar caught him flush with punch behind the ear to drop him and jumped all over him.

Mir also beat him 1-1

Carwin had the fight won but gassed out completely. Ref's have stopped fights for less than what Carwin hit lesnar during the 1st round.
    DrPhilG wrote: »
    I just don't understand the hate for Lesnar.

He's a tw*t imo

• Advertisement

Devastator wrote: »
    Randy was ...

Mir also ...

Carwin had the fight won but ...

Ifs, ands and buts.

If your auntie had balls she'd be your uncle.

Lesnar beat all 3 men. You can say Carwin had him beat but then gassed, I can say Brock had Mir beat but got caught in a sub.

He's a tw*t imo

Maybe so, or maybe he just knows how to promote a fight? Plus he's only ever been disrespectful to opponents who disrespected him, like Herring and Mir. Nothing but respectful towards Couture, Velasquez and Carwin.

I think Bisping, Penn and Mir are tw*ts (IMO) but I don't wish them retired and I certainly don't downplay their ability.

(Well I do downplay Bisping's ability but he's a different story)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,193 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Jaysus, here we go again!

IN BEFORE SOMEONE GETS CALLED A NUT HUGGER FOR LIKING LESNAR!!!!!! :pac:

Anyway, this is a great fight! A proper Heavyweight spectacle, the 2 biggest men in the world! :p

This fight ends badly for Overeem. I see Lesnar taking him down and controlling him for all 3 rounds!

MrStuffins wrote: »
    This fight ends badly for Overeem. I see Lesnar taking him down and controlling him for all 3 rounds!

5 rounds, all main events 5 rounds now, as if either of them has the cardio...

Although I think Reem's cardio will drain a lot faster with that ape on top of him.

PS, you are a NUT HUGGER!!! :D

5 rounds, all main events 5 rounds now, as if either of them has the cardio...

Although I think Reem's cardio will drain a lot faster with that ape on top of him.

PS, you are a NUT HUGGER!!! :D

Oh yeah I forgot about the 5 round Main events, my bad!

Overeem is no Demian Maia on his back! He can and will be controlled! Lesnar will need to take this to the ground and will have an advantage on top. Overeem will have the obvious massive advantage on the feet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭SDTimeout

Shame on anyone who bets on Guida to be FOTN anymore. I know W's are W's but ever if there was weight to slate a Jackson's fighter for playing it safe it's Clay Guida.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭The Bored One

I'd say this fight will be interesting simply because both fighters have a a few questions hovering around them.
    Lesnar while having alot of power and potential, was very much thrown into the deep end in pretty early, and its revealed he has a few gaps in his game. He seems to learn fast though so be intresting in seeing if he's dealt with them.
    Overeem has a lot of hype around him, but his last fight against a higher level contender was pretty lacklustre, and we haven't seen him against any proper wrestlers in quite some time. This fight should clarify where both fighters stand at the moment.

Ifs, ands and buts.

If your auntie had balls she'd be your uncle.

Lesnar beat all 3 men. You can say Carwin had him beat but then gassed, I can say Brock had Mir beat but got caught in a sub.

Maybe so, or maybe he just knows how to promote a fight? Plus he's only ever been disrespectful to opponents who disrespected him, like Herring and Mir. Nothing but respectful towards Couture, Velasquez and Carwin.

I think Bisping, Penn and Mir are tw*ts (IMO) but I don't wish them retired and I certainly don't downplay their ability.

(Well I do downplay Bisping's ability but he's a different story)

ffs, you didn't seem to take that well at all. I said he was a tw*t, thats my opinion. When did I say I wanted him to retire or downplay his ability

ffs, you didn't seem to take that well at all. I said he was a tw*t, thats my opinion. When did I say I wanted him to retire or downplay his ability

You didn't. Others have though and my response was part of the general discussion about Lesnar-hate that was ongoing.

Apologies if you took it as a direct attack.

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Shazbot

SDTimeout wrote: »
    Shame on anyone who bets on Guida to be FOTN anymore. I know W's are W's but ever if there was weight to slate a Jackson's fighter for playing it safe it's Clay Guida.

Absolute bull. I hate the lay and pray game plan of some fighters but what
    I hate more is when people jump the gun like this.

Guida moved to Jackson's camp for his fight with Florian which he lost. After that 3 of his last 4 wins have come by submission. Before that, Guida only stopped 2 of his 4 wins in the UFC. So moving to Jackson's increased his finishing by 25%.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Xlami

Shazbot wrote: »
    Absolute bull. I hate the lay and pray game plan of some fighters but what
    I hate more is when people jump the gun like this.

Guida moved to Jackson's camp for his fight with Florian which he lost. After that 3 of his last 4 wins have come by submission. Before that, Guida only stopped 2 of his 4 wins in the UFC. So moving to Jackson's increased his finishing by 25%.

Your having a laugh. Just because fights end in finishes does not mean they are more exciting. Guida Vs Sanchez, Diaz and Griffin are some of the greatest fights of all time. The guy has gone to a two time fight of the year winner to an epileptic John Fitch. I'm not having a go at Jacksons here because I think some of their critisim is unwarranted but Clay is the main case for the argument. Gregg has taken one of the most exciting brawlers to ever fight in the UFC and now he's a strong wrestler with excellent footwork. Clay is a great lad so I don't begrudge him the success but I don't think anyone gets as excited for his fights as they did two years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Shazbot

Xlami wrote: »
    Your having a laugh.

I guess I didn't make my point clear. I was quoting SDTimeout because he has suggesting that Guida was the poster boy for the Jackson's camp safety first attitude (something I don't buy into)[/quote]
    Just because fights end in finishes does not mean they are more exciting. Guida Vs Sanchez, Diaz and Griffin are some of the greatest fights of all time. The guy has gone to a two time fight of the year winner to an epileptic John Fitch. I'm not having a go at Jacksons here because I think some of their critisim is unwarranted but Clay is the main case for the argument. Gregg has taken one of the most exciting brawlers to ever fight in the UFC and now he's a strong wrestler with excellent footwork.

Now you're having a laugh. Ever since moving to Jackson's Guida has tidied up his game and has moved from a leightweight division gatekeeper to a potential title contender. I agree with you, Guida has had some great fights that went the distance, probably his best infact. I just can't agree with the attitude that he's playing it safe. He didn't finish 3 of his last 4 by playing it safe.
    Clay is a great lad so I don't begrudge him the success but I don't think anyone gets as excited for his fights as they did two years ago.
    His next fight with Henderson has great potential. Then again, so did the Petis fight. Not every fight can be a Diaz/Sanchez remake. I love a good brawl these fights as much as the next guy but to call him dull or boring is just ignorant.

I bloody despise this Greg Jackson myth!

For a start, Guida moved to Jackson, lost to Florian and then went and finished 3 fights in a row.

He's turned Melvin Guillard into a proper contender, who is also finishing guys in an exciting fashion!

Leonard Garcia, who would ever accuse Garcia of being a guy who tries to squeak out decisions?

Diego Sanchez, need I say more about him?

Joey Villasenor, a warrior who always lays it on the line!

Shane Carwin, had never even seen a decision in his entire career until he got smashed by JDS!

Carlos Condit, KOing guys for fun at the moment!

And Jonny f*cking Bones Jones. A boring fighter? Looking to squeak out decisions?

I could go on!

Look lads, we all know haters gonna hate, but at least try not talking nonsense while doing it!

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭pauldoo

Fedor has his next opponent.......Jeff monson

serious fall from grace

pauldoo wrote: »
    Fedor has his next opponent.......Jeff monson

serious fall from grace

Yeah, horrible.

I mean, it's only 5 years ago Monson was fighting for the UFC HW Championship, now he's reduced to fighting has-beens :P

Apparently Nick Diaz missed a press conference on Tuesday and is scheduled for another press conference today but he's nowhere to be found again.

Lorenzo Fertita just tweeted this too;
    ERP_6174_normal.jpg
    @lorenzofertittaLorenzo Fertitta
    Anyone know where nick diaz is?

57 minutes agovia Twitter for iPhone

What's Diaz playin at?
    Also, Carlos Condits manager tweeted this a while ago :D
    325053116_normal.jpg@malkikawamalki kawa
    I know where @CarlosCondit is if you need a replacement ;) we're an hour away. We'll sell the fight! RT (cont) http://tl.gd/cusjgq

• Advertisement

Yeah it's weird about the pressers. I mean, surely if he had a good excuse for missing them, of all people Lorenzo would know about it!

Very strange!

MrStuffins wrote: »
    Yeah it's weird about the pressers. I mean, surely if he had a good excuse for missing them, of all people Lorenzo would know about it!

Very strange!

Apparently his manager apologised for him missing the other presser but he promised Nick would be there for this one. Still a no show though.
    Its a bit disrespectful imo.

Dean09 wrote: »
    Apparently his manager apologised for him missing the other presser but he promised Nick would be there for this one. Still a no show though.
    Its a bit disrespectful imo.

If he's not willing to play the game then he shouldn't be able to reap the rewards.

Get Condit in there I say!

Dean09 wrote: »

What's Diaz playin at?

maybe he got stoned and forgot

:Dlol at Helwanis tweet:

n507915524_2010510_8306_normal.jpg@arielhelwaniAriel Helwani

Where I come from people who miss press conferences get slapped.

45 minutes agovia web

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭slayerking

UFC 137 Press Conference is on now... http://www.ufc.com/media/ufc-137-special-pc

Holy shít.
    Dana is seriously pissed off with Diaz.
    Carlos Condit is in for the fight!

The youtube link is clearer than the stream from the site.......http://www.youtube.com/ufc#p/l/ZNvFHpVXp2o

Condit deserves it. Diaz is a douchebag and I'd doubt it if he'll ever fight in the ufc after this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Oh_Noes

Pretty shocking stuff alright, I'm fairly disappointed with it as I think Diaz would have given him much more of a fight than Condit.

I can see why the UFC did it because you never know now if Diaz will just not show up for the fight on the night or not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭sonic85

what an absolute tool diaz is. why would any fighter just give up a shot at a title so easily. beggars belief really. hopefully condit will put on a good show

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement