Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General UFC Chit Chat/News

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,322 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Just seen that Weidman got his blackbelt.
    GHckOFU.png?1

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭TimRiggins

Mellor wrote: »
    Just seen that Weidman got his blackbelt.
    GHckOFU.png?1

He probably injured himself in the presentation.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭califano

Or threatened to leave the gym if he didnt get it!. That was only a cynical joke but still its a very subjective thing these belt awards. You are relying on the integrity of your mentor who would likely be your close friend by that stage and hes the one that gives it to you.
    however I would say that that these guys in the main would have the highest integrity and fairness.
    Was thinking it should also be like a Michelin award where you can lose it any year too on an independent retest. But my understanding is once you attain a belt the accolade stays with you forever.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭CurryFlavoured

califano wrote: »
    Or threatened to leave the gym if he didnt get it!. That was only a cynical joke but still its a very subjective thing these belt awards. You are relying on the integrity of your mentor who would likely be your close friend by that stage and hes the one that gives it to you.
    however I would say that that these guys in the main would have the highest integrity and fairness.
    Was thinking it should also be like a Michelin award where you can lose it any year too on an independent retest. But my understanding is once you attain a belt the accolade stays with you forever.

Speaking of, is that the Michelin man on Weidman's left? Serra could probably be a HW these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭MartyMcFly84

The belt signifies you have reached a certain level of knowledge and practical understanding, and the ability to correctly instruct others. Much like a Degree, its just a physical representation of a level reached. However you should not need to constantly retest. If you continue training you will use your knowledge on a daily basis and expand on it. Can you imagine if you had to retest for your degree through out your life?

You could be 70 years old when you get your black belt , you could hardly have a standardised test that you expect a 25 year old to do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,326 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Is this weekend's fight Night not on TV? Fight Pass only is what I've heard.

DrPhilG wrote: »
    Is this weekend's fight Night not on TV? Fight Pass only is what I've heard.

Yeah only on Fightpass.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

Does anyone know off the top of their head what time the fight card kicks off, Irish time at the weekend?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,437 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

Here's the sponsorship pay scale from Reebok.
    At first glance it looks pretty good. Although it'd be hard to say without knowing what they were earning before the Reebok deal came in.

CEVnzI3VIAAwPZ-.jpg

dulux99 wrote: »
    Does anyone know off the top of their head what time the fight card kicks off, Irish time at the weekend?

Main card starts at 4 am Saturday night/Sunday Morning.
    El Guapo! wrote: »
    Here's the sponsorship pay scale from Reebok.
    At first glance it looks pretty good. Although it'd be hard to say without knowing what they were earning before the Reebok deal came in.

CEVnzI3VIAAwPZ-.jpg

Alot of fighters not happy. Brendan Schaub said he made 6 figures for each of his last 6 fights.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,830 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Just goes to show how much guys were earning through sponsors before reebok, way more than ufc wages. Looks okay but I'm sure some fighters will be unhappy and rightly so.

Also, they can still have sponsors, Conor is raking em in and they are well aware they wont get any coverage on fight night although he is a special case i spose.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

sheehy83 wrote: »
    Just goes to show how much guys were earning through sponsors before reebok, way more than ufc wages. Looks okay but I'm sure some fighters will be unhappy and rightly so.

Also, they can still have sponsors, Conor is raking em in and they are well aware they wont get any coverage on fight night although he is a special case i spose.

can you blame them, before they could have multiple sponsors on the night, now they get rebok and they didn even get to negotiate the price themselves

Yeah it's very weird how you can be sponsored by someone without any say in the matter. I spose that's where a fighters union would come in handy but will never happen.

I wonder will ufc pay fighters more in their next contracts to make up for loss of sponsor money.

As far as I know they can still have as many sponsors as they like on the banner they drape over the side of the cage. And they can still plug their sponsors in post fight interviews etc.
    But yeah it'll definitely suck for the guys that were taking in a decent chunk of cash for their shorts sponsors.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

As far as I know they can still have as many sponsors as they like on the banner they drape over the side of the cage. And they can still plug their sponsors in post fight interviews etc.
    But yeah it'll definitely suck for the guys that were taking in a decent chunk of cash for their shorts sponsors.

Was't dana on about banning the banners

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭Beersmith

How are you so sure its a loss? Was someone claime schab was getting 6 figures in sponsorship per fight? Cant believe he would would get have earned that in all his fights!

Anyway fighters can still be sponsored outside of fight night so they shouldn't lose everything, i don't believe a lot of them were earning that much anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭Beersmith

No more banner sponsors, i would like to see them ban thanking sponsors too in post fight, no one wants to hear that ****. Thanking jesus/god should also be banned :p

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

Actually, after a bit of Googling, it seems banner sponsors are actually banned. I didn't realise that. That's absolutely ridiculous tbh.
    So fighters can't show any sponsors in the cage yet the ufc can have a load of sponsors plastered all over the cage and the cage floor? What a joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

Sponsors have no interest in sponsoring mid tier to lower tier guys who can't get them any air time. The banners are also gone once the Reebok deal starts. I doubt they'll be allowed mention their sponsors after fights/at press conferences etc.

The fighters are losing a lot. Schaub said he lost six sponsors in the run up to his last fight as they had no future sponsoring him after July, also said he used to get $100k a fight from them.
    He'll get what, $10k from Reebok. We only know his situation because he has a podcast and says it on it, he's also got a few phone calls from Dana/Joe Silva for what he has said on it.

Look at McGregor's sponsors, all official UFC sponsors, there's only a handful of fighters who could get them.

• Advertisement

I don't see why they can't have a section of the shorts available for the fighters to use a sponsor or two on.

Although I expect in the future the shorts will end up like a Nascar driver's clothing with 3/4/5/6 sponsors on them. With a tiny fraction going to the fighters.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,326 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Schaub got $100k for his last fight?

He'd be lucky to have got that for all his fights!

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭ps3man

DrPhilG wrote: »
    Schaub got $100k for his last fight?

He'd be lucky to have got that for all his fights!

Got more than that for a lot of his fights from sponsors according to him.

http://www.reddit.com/r/MMA/comments/3534wd/brendan_schaub_reaction_to_sponsor_pay_ive_made/

• Registered Users Posts: 39,322 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

califano wrote: »
    You are correct that they would be very close to their mentor at that stage, I really don't think that would contribute to easy black belts being given out, especially to guys who are competing. As its a bad reflection on the trainer. If somebody wasn't doing very well competing in purple or brown divisions, and suddenly showed up with a blackbelt, it would look very good.

That's not to say there are no easy black belts at all. It's by no means a uniform standard. But I've no reason to think Renzo has low standards given some of the guys under him. Matt Serra, John Danagher, Shawn Williams
    sheehy83 wrote: »
    Yeah it's very weird how you can be sponsored by someone without any say in the matter.
    It's pretty much par for the course for most sports.
    Not football players have a say in who the team sponsor is, and they can't wear their own gear (with the exception of boots maybe).
    darced wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.
    By that pay scale he would have gotten $30k

• Registered Users Posts: 19,193 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Jeez! Just booked tickets for UFC Germany and got completely ripped off!

Despite being advertised, there were no "Will Call" or self-print options. The only option I could choose, being in Ireland, was "Express World Delivery" which was €35!! There were no other options open to me. And it wasn't even Ticketmaster!

Aw that's duuuurty.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Any way you can get a screen grab that says "Will Call" and print at home options were to be made available and try get reimbursed?

Outrageous.

What ticket site was used anyway?

it was "EventIm.de". I'd never heard of it before. But i've never been to Germany before.

• Advertisement

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement