Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General UFC Chit Chat/News

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    Any update?

Alive but in serious condition according to his wife
    http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2015/5/14/8608391/ufc-news-corey-hill-death-ultimate-fighter

• Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭CurryFlavoured

Screw that idiot journalist who said it on twitter. Why would you announce it if you weren't 100% sure it was true? And why the hell would you even decide to break the news on twitter?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

Paul Redmond has been added to the Scotland card. Due to fight Robert Whiteford.
    http://mmajunkie.com/2015/05/redmond-vs-whiteford-edwards-vs-pawlak-booked-for-ufc-fight-night-72-in-scotland

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

Rousey's answer to the question, if she would ever fight Mayweather?
    I don’t think me and him would ever fight, unless we ended up dating.

BURN.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 11,932 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Anybody else follow BJ Penn on FB? Used to be a great site for news now it's just Click-bait hell

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

scudzilla wrote: »
    Anybody else follow BJ Penn on FB? Used to be a great site for news now it's just Click-bait hell

Had to un-like it months ago. It's like The Sun of MMA 'news' - and in saying that, the other options are not much better.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,193 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

scudzilla wrote: »

Yeah, unliked it a long time ago. Used to be class but it's just gone to sh*te!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭TimRiggins

I just use twitter a source of information on MMA these days. MMAFighting is alright aswell I enjoy the Morning Report.

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭johnpro

MrStuffins wrote: »
    Yeah, unliked it a long time ago. Used to be class but it's just gone to sh*te!

Same could be said of Penn to be fair

• Registered Users Posts: 7,735 ✭✭✭ASOT

http://www.mmafighting.com/2015/5/20/8631653/dana-white-on-future-cyborg-rousey-fight-i-guarantee-it-does-over-two

I want whatever Dana is taking... The only way an event headlined by these would do 2m buys was if the other 4 fights on the main card were tittle fights and Mayweather/Pac 2 was on In a boxing ring beside the octagon at the same time, I love Dana as a Figure but my God some of the stuff he comes out with would have the average Joe thrown in a padded room.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

Fedors younger brother just got 4.5yrs for sexual assault

• Registered Users Posts: 39,322 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Fedors younger brother just got 4.5yrs for sexual assault

Shocking ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2015/5/21/8633115/ufc-interview-ryan-jimmo-fighters-abusive-relationship-reebok

Well done Ryan Jimmo, MMA needs more fighters like him. Listening to the other fighters just taking this huge cut in revenue afraid to even speak out drives me crazy, anyone hear Brendan Schaub on fight companion? It was pretty pathetic he gets dumped on and called a liar in public and turns into UFC PR man despite losing 90k+ a fight. Worse still someone like Cerrone even saying Reebok deal is awesome despite being down 60k a fight. Instant dislike to any fighter talking this deal up.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Did Cerrone not sign a sponsorship deal with Monster and Budweiser? He'll be well looked after outside of the Octagon for sure.

He could very well be taking a significant hit still hence him throwing out the 60k figure, which makes him calling it "awesome" all the more puzzling when talking about it benefiting other fighters when only a very very select elite will get the Monster and Budweiser sponsorship outside the cage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

This Reebok thing has really been an unmitigated PR disaster. The UFC have really come out the other side looking greedy and evil. It has a serious knock on effect too, if there's some 16 year old super athlete out there who has an interest in MMA, like another Jon Jones , why would he bother pushing himself to get to the ufc? To make basically a minimum wage salary whilst risking getting knocked out!

dulux99 wrote: »
    This Reebok thing has really been an unmitigated PR disaster. The UFC have really come out the other side looking greedy and evil. It has a serious knock on effect too, if there's some 16 year old super athlete out there who has an interest in MMA, like another Jon Jones , why would he bother pushing himself to get to the ufc? To make basically a minimum wage salary whilst risking getting knocked out!
    They reebok deal is only related to sponsor money. They are still paid by the UFC as before.

Mellor wrote: »
    They reebok deal is only related to sponsor money. They are still paid by the UFC as before.

Which isn't very much compared to other US Sports.

To say the least, yet we keep hearing the "we are trying to be the NFL of the MMA world". How about a fighters union and similar % of revenue going to the fighters similar to the NFL if that the goal that we keep hearing about.

Davei141 wrote: »
    To say the least, yet we keep hearing the "we are trying to be the NFL of the MMA world". How about a fighters union and similar % of revenue going to the fighters similar to the NFL if that the goal that we keep hearing about.

The big difference here is that the NFL is a team sport. Can you imagine if golfers were making $8k to play and $8k to place and the rest of the money was going to the PGA? Oh, and then you weren't allowed have sponsors, you had to wear Taylor Made clothes whilst on TV. You'll have to give up your Nike contract worth x10 what this is, but we're the only game in town so you can like it or lump it!

There are serious shortcomings in the business model and they are being shown with this deal. Dana and the UFC can't just play hard-ball here and ignore the fighter's concerns. They need o work with them, not against them.

• Advertisement

It's a lot more than Irish sports though ;)

I don't think anyone starts down the MMA road for the money tbh (same applies all martial arts). And It's pointless comparing UFC to other sports. NFL, MLB, even the FA premier league crushing the UFC in fanbase, attendance and viewership.
    The simple fact is the UFC currently pay the most money, a lot more than Belator or WSOF. I think an entry level fight in the UFC is worth 7 times more than an greater than entry level fight in Belator.

The big difference here is that the NFL is a team sport. Can you imagine if golfers were making $8k to play and $8k to place and the rest of the money was going to the PGA? Oh, and then you weren't allowed have sponsors, you had to wear Taylor Made clothes whilst on TV. You'll have to give up your Nike contract worth x10 what this is, but we're the only game in town so you can like it or lump it!

There are serious shortcomings in the business model and they are being shown with this deal. Dana and the UFC can't just play hard-ball here and ignore the fighter's concerns. They need o work with them, not against them.

Exactly listening to Dana White constantly try to compare them to team sports is just stupid, especially when he knows once he compares them to a comparable sport his vision falls apart completely.
    It's a lot more than Irish sports though ;)

I don't think anyone starts down the MMA road for the money tbh (same applies all martial arts). And It's pointless comparing UFC to other sports. NFL, MLB, even the FA premier league crushing the UFC in fanbase, attendance and viewership.
    The simple fact is the UFC currently pay the most money, a lot more than Belator or WSOF. I think an entry level fight in the UFC is worth 7 times more than an greater than entry level fight in Belator.

Who starts any sport for a paycheck though? Doesn't stop other sports people being paid fairly. Just because the UFC pay the most money does that mean fighters should just take a substantial cut in revenue without being consulted? The UFC make quite a lot more revenue than Bellator and make a considerable amount of money from all those entry level fighters padding cards, at the very least give them a chance to get their own sponsors.

I hope some more fighters grow a pair and join Jimmo in his stance and get a union/association going, although no doubt his next loss he is getting cut.

I know that. But if you come into the ufc, and are fighting for 8k to show and 8 to win, you're really only guaranteed 10.5k, and you might only fight twice a year. That's 21k dollars a year, and they must pay tax and pay for their training camps out of that. absolute pittance.

I know that. But if you come into the ufc, and are fighting for 8k to show and 8 to win, you're really only guaranteed 10.5k, and you might only fight twice a year. That's 21k dollars a year, and they must pay tax and pay for their training camps out of that. absolute pittance.

Not to mention under this deal if a fighter gets injured and pulls out of a fight he gets no sponsorship at all, while beforehand lots of fighter got a monthly check off sponsors to live on.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,470 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Somebody needs to tell Phil Davis that the UFC pay more than Bellator, oh wait....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭TimRiggins

Its crazy that they can't have two patches on the shorts for sponsorships, and even allowed to keep the fight banners.

TimRiggins wrote: »
    Its crazy that they can't have two patches on the shorts for sponsorships, and even allowed to keep the fight banners.

I really don't understand getting rid of the banners, what effect does that have on a uniform clean look etc that they keep mentioning? There is going to be a spot for another sponsorship but all that money goes to the UFC, none to the fighter.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,149 ✭✭✭threeball

For a guy worth a reported $300 million dollars and who drops 100k on a roll of the dice the guy has some neck to castigate people who put him in the position he's in who in the majority earn about as much as your average office worker. Its incredible to have that much money and still be selfish enough to stand on the necks of the guys who helped you make it.

In saying that the fighters have only themselves to blame. They all jump when he says when it would only take 20 guys who are in the top 7 in any division to make a stand and the whole thing crumbles. Bellator are also showing next to no guts by bringing in a glut of these guys on good contracts and creating a viable alternative. They'll never get a better chance.

Who starts any sport for a paycheck though?
    Nobosy. It was in a response to a coment above about a child phenom not getting into MMA due to the money.
    Doesn't stop other sports people being paid fairly. Just because the UFC pay the most money does that mean fighters should just take a substantial cut in revenue without being consulted?
    This is the real ridiculous part of the comparison with other sports.
    Other sports aren't paid "fairly".
    NFL players aren't paid more because football teams are more fair with their wages. They are paid more because that's the cost to hold on to them. NFL teams are businesses just like the UFC, and no less ruthless.
    The PGA don't pay golfers bucket loads out of generosity, they do it to attract the best in the world, so they can sell the tournament all over the world for a massive profit. That's their bottom line too.
    It's all business. Man Utd, Chelsea, City etc pay the big bucks to players, so the shareholders can maximise the profit.
    The idea that other sports pay more fairly is total nonsense. THey are paid more because they are worth more. It's business like everything else.
    The UFC make quite a lot more revenue than Bellator and make a considerable amount of money from all those entry level fighters padding cards, at the very least give them a chance to get their own sponsors
    I'm aware that the UFC have a ton more revenue than Bellator. But thats the real irony of the situation, fans complain about fighter pay, but its fans that create the revenue - or lack thereof.
    Entry level in Belator is $1,500. I shit you not.
    On the card where Tito got a guaranteed $300k up top. The 14 fighters on the undercard got between 1,500 and 5,000k. If they fight twice a year, they might only get 3 or 4k, and no insurance.

That said, I doubt any fighter is only making income from fights.
    (A UFC HW is in sydney this weekend, $4k for 3 hours).
    Not to mention under this deal if a fighter gets injured and pulls out of a fight he gets no sponsorship at all, while beforehand lots of fighter got a monthly check off sponsors to live on.
    Monthy I would have been endorsement money for stuff outside the cage. Afaik, this deal doesn't stop that happening (open to correction).
    I'd imagine more low level guys were just getting paid by the appearance though.

• Advertisement

Entry level in Belator is $1,500. I shit you not.
    On the card where Tito got a guaranteed $300k up top. The 14 fighters on the undercard got between 1,500 and 5,000k. If they fight twice a year, they might only get 3 or 4k, and no insurance.

Bellator isn't the pinnacle of the sport. I just can't see how entry level at the largest MMA company in the world (by far) is essentially only earning minimum wage. That's absolutely going to turn away potential future stars.

Somebody else asked who gets into a sport for money. Well my example is if someone takes up training when he's 14, is highly regarded in his gym, then he gets to about 18 and decides rather than pursuing his dream of being a MMA legend, where he would have to earn terrible wages for about 5 years, he decides to get a 'real' job or focuses on another sport. It's inevitable that this will happen.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement