Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General UFC Chit Chat/News

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭weemcd

Anyone see they have now banned/severely limited the use of IV's for fighters?

That worries me, say some guy who cuts way too much weight as it is not being able to use an IV to rehydrate, sounds like a disaster waiting to happen. I'm sure the thinking behind this is to have people fight at their normal weight, which is a good thing. But who's to say the athletes will do that?

/edit
    http://www.mmafighting.com/2015/7/4/8862989/andre-pederneiras-several-fighters-will-move-up-in-weight-with-iv-ban

The article I read

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

How would you possibly enforce this ban?

• Registered Users Posts: 39,322 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

JJayoo wrote: »

That's what I was thinking. If somebody needs it they'll just do it in private.

I hate to bring Conor up again cause he is everywhere :D I remember at a weigh in maybe two fights ago or maybe it was the Siver fight but he looked really bad when he was weighing in like worse than anyone I have ever seen. Does he really struggle to make 145? I know he is talking about fighting at 155 but could this IV ban thing effect him?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,156 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

JJayoo wrote: »

I'm guessing needle prick bruises would be a starting place

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭John_D80

CatFromHue wrote: »
    I'm guessing needle prick bruises would be a starting place

As far as I'm aware there is a not a total ban on IV's. From my reading of it Fighters are limited to 50 ml so there will still be needle marks in fighters that do use IV's.

There is a 50ml limit on rehydration, so there's bruises don't prove anything really.

Also, the ban doesnt come in until October.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭Beersmith

Well thats quite stupid, unenforceable

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 4,337 Mod ✭✭✭✭TherapyBoy

I thought I read about something from the IV bag, traces of plastic or a preservative in the fluid that can be picked up in blood tests afterwards. So it would be seen in a random drug test.
    It might be tough at the start & I hope there are no problems or incidents because of it, but if it means fighters deciding to eventually move up a weight class because they can't rehydrate safely without it, it's a good move.

• Advertisement

darced wrote: »
    I seen this last week and it was do do with traces of plastic or some substance appear in the PED test result from IV's and can be a masking agent for PED use so guess I'd guess if this shows up anymore you will have no excuse and get a ban.
    The reason they are banned is because they are now under USADA/WADA rules.
    They limit athletes to 50ml as that they are concerned that larger bags could affect blood test results - the saline diluting the blood rather than masking it.
    Apparently Lance Armstrong and co. would insert IV bags to delay testers when they arrived. The smallest amount if time could make a difference with drugs that half short half-lifes.

It was suggested on sherdog that testing for traces of plastic would detect IV use, but that makes no sense as 50ml IV could leave a trace also.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,156 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

tbh people dehydrating themselves so much that they need an IV drip doesn't seem right to me.

tbh people dehydrating themselves so much that they need an IV drip doesn't seem right to me.

Well they are going to do it regardless.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

Beersmith wrote: »
    Well they are going to do it regardless.

Exactly so taking away a safe way for them to re-hydrate is dangerous, more dangerous than somebody on PED's.

I'm not sure if it's the case that they need an IV. But rather that an IV is the best and fastest way to rehydrate. Why wouldn't they use the IV when it's an option.
    They can rehydrate orally too, it it just takes longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,149 ✭✭✭threeball

Make fighters be within three pounds of fight weight the entire week. Weigh them monday and wednesday with the official weigh in friday as usual. Takes away the completely unfair advantage of those who have the metabolism to endure a savage cut over those who don't and the dangers associated with these massive cuts. It does nothing for the spectacle of the sport.

They will still push their bodies to the limits to do that and it might be more dangerous. Then you also have the massive amount of work that has to be done organising more weight ins and much more chances of fights being called off etc.

Mellor wrote: »
    I'm not sure if it's the case that they need an IV. But rather that an IV is the best and fastest way to rehydrate. Why wouldn't they use the IV when it's an option.
    They can rehydrate orally too, it it just takes longer.

Maybe they do or don't need the IV but I don't think it should be an option. It's the fastest way to rehydrate but it's also a medical procedure.

I think if you're cutting weight so hard that you either want or need a medical procedure you need to be looking at changing your pre cut weight.

Maybe they do or don't need the IV but I don't think it should be an option. It's the fastest way to rehydrate but it's also a medical procedure.
    I agree.
    It's absolutely not needed. And removing it will mean fighters aren't limited by what they can cut, but what they can recover from. Which should see a move in optimal pre-cut weight.
    I think if you're cutting weight so hard that you either want or need a medical procedure you need to be looking at changing your pre cut weight.
    It's not like they are using IVs to make up for a sloppy diet though, are coming in at a very specific and planned out weight based on the current conditions.

threeball wrote: »
    Takes away the completely unfair advantage of those who have the metabolism to endure a savage cut over those who don't and the dangers associated with these massive cuts.
    How it's is an unfair advantage? The rules are the same for everyone. Cutting is nothing to do with metabolism.
    But even so the entire sporting world is built on genetic advantages.

Giving onself insulin injections is a 'medical procedure' but thousands do that everyday to themselves. Lets not blow IV out of proportions. Its probably a safer method for the fighters to get hydrated than just drinking water etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

IV are primarily used at night while the fighter is sleeping

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭MartyMcFly84

I dont see anything wrong with it.

Just a more effective way of rehydrating your body.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

Melendez out Vs Iaquinta after testing positive. Not sure wtf "exogenous origin of testosterone metabolites" are, anyway this sucks. http://www.ufc.com/news/UFC-Statement-on-Gilbert-Melendez

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Giblert Melendez remains unaffected.

Phew.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,735 ✭✭✭ASOT

Is that a two year ban now since the new rules came into effect?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭Easy Rod

ASOT wrote: »
    Is that a two year ban now since the new rules came into effect?

1 year ban, from the date of his fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,735 ✭✭✭ASOT

Easy Rod wrote: »
    1 year ban, from the date of his fight.

Just seen he accepted the one year suspension, must have been a non specified substance so!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,193 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

He probably got a lift to training from the Diaz brothers and got hot-boxed!

• Advertisement

Davei141 wrote: »
    Not sure wtf "exogenous origin of testosterone metabolites" are, anyway this sucks. http://www.ufc.com/news/UFC-Statement-on-Gilbert-Melendez

It means traces of testosterone that wasn't produced by his body.
    ASOT wrote: »
    Just seen he accepted the one year suspension, must have been a non specified substance so!
    I'd assume testosterone is a specified substances. He probably escaped a 2 year ban because it happened before the July 1st date.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement