Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General UFC Chit Chat/News

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,831 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    Can you elaborate on the situation?

Stitch, who's a cutman, always wore a vest with a ton of sponsors as he's fairly famous in the UFC bit with the Reebok deal, ufc made him wear a generic vest with no sponors and no extra pay to make up for it. He told that to a fan on twitter.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,364 ✭✭✭xtal191

sheehy83 wrote: »
    Stitch, who's a cutman, always wore a vest with a ton of sponsors as he's fairly famous in the UFC bit with the Reebok deal, ufc made him wear a generic vest with no sponors and no extra pay to make up for it. He told that to a fan on twitter.

4475f23bbeb0bc9b5706a27af98b9cb4_400x400.jpeg

Before the deal he was paid by the companies, I'm guessing he gets nothing from Reebok now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

Funny thing is there were loads of sponsor logos on the octagon floor and cage

McGregor-Mendes1.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭EuskalHerria

dave1982 wrote: »
    Funny thing is there were loads of sponsor logos on the octagon floor and cage

McGregor-Mendes1.png

And the doctor/cutman to the left of Conor is wearing a Nike top. Thought that was funny every 5 minutes between rounds.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 MMATycoon

Anyone catch Ben Rothwell on the MMA hour? Praised the Irish fans of course but mentioned he was beyond shocked to talk to on more than a few occasions Irish fans who went over that it was clear they weren't clued in to the sport at all and went to sing Olé Olé basically; Some were questioning Ben why he was posing for photos and some looked puzzled had no answers when he asked them who they had in the Rory/Robbie fight said though after seeing that card they will prob tune in to more events now.

I know its been done to death here bout bandwagoners etc. and go along with the we all must start somewhere but can't imagine that start would be Vegas :eek::eek::eek:

I'd imagine that's the difference between a traditional boxing mentality, which I'd assume that's what a lot of these guys have come from, to an MMA mentality. Boxing's only about main events, whereas MMA is about the sport and being interested in the whole card.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭MartyMcFly84

I know a few people who don't have the slightest idea about MMA who went over to the fight. They don't even know the name of the sport, and it was they're first ever event.

Conor's success and personality have lots of people following him who really don't have the foggiest, but are willing to spend lots of money to go see him.

Vegas is a great venue so you can make a great trip out of it regardless of the event itself. There is a reason its the fight capital of the world.

As for Mir vs Duffee
    Fukkin Heeellllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll I'm beaming!! :pac:

Let's go Frank, 1 more title run!

Great quality gif/video of the
    KO
    below, Jaysus!

http://giant.gfycat.com/WindyHauntingAbyssiniancat.mp4

giphy.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 23,858 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

outstanding by tony ferguson
    he's ready for big name no doubt about it

• Registered Users Posts: 55,633 ✭✭✭✭walshb

How does the finances work for Conor's fight on Saturday? Does he pay tax only in Nevada on the amount he earns?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭jcd5971

Dont think it's been posted in here but did anyone see that Angela Magana managed to piss herself after being taken down during the Ultimate fighter Finale.
    Thought I'd seem it all after I saw Yeol Romero dropping a deuce in the octagon last year.

karma she always comes across as a horrible person

• Advertisement

How does the finances work for Conor's fight on Saturday? Does he pay tax only in Nevada on the amount he earns?

I am pretty sure Nevada has no state income tax.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,633 ✭✭✭✭walshb

I am pretty sure Nevada has no state income tax.

That is right. So, how would that work for Conor? He fought there so technically got paid for his activity there. Does that mean he may not have to pay anything (income tax) to any government?

That is right. So, how would that work for Conor? He fought there so technically got paid for his activity there. Does that mean he may not have to pay anything (income tax) to any government?

I am not an international tax accountant, but I think as he has been living out outside of Ireland for more than 6 months of the year he does not have to pay tax here.

As Nevada has no state income tax he does not have to pay income tax from what he earns there.

He might however have to pay US federal income tax for earning made in the US (i believe this is the case even if you are non resident). Which is notorious (no pun intended) for coming back on actors and athletes who get paid in large bulk cash payments. My understanding (which could be wrong) is this has to be paid in a lump sum after all your earnings for the year have been declared. So you need to keep a large amount separate to pay the federal tax in April.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭DerekDGoldfish

[QUOTE=MartyMcFly84;96264603]I am not an international tax accountant, but I think as he has been living out outside of Ireland for more than 6 months of the year he does not have to pay tax here.

As Nevada has no state income tax he does not have to pay income tax from what he earns there.

He might however have to pay US federal income tax for earning made in the US (i believe this is the case even if you are non resident). Which is notorious (no pun intended) for coming back on actors and athletes who get paid in large bulk cash payments. My understanding (which could be wrong) is this has to be paid in a lump sum after all your earnings for the year have been declared. So you need to keep a large amount separate to pay the federal tax in April.[/QUOTE]

If you leave the country, you will continue to be ordinarily resident until you have been non-resident for three continuous tax years.

Normally tax resident individuals are taxable worldwide income in Ireland (but get credit for any foreign tax paid).

He might get away with tax in Ireland if "the income derived from a trade or profession no part of which is carried on in the State" but if he has spent more than 180 days in one year or 280 in 2 years (which he would have done if he lived here last year) then he will be liable to Irish tax

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

As for Mir vs Duffee
    Fukkin Heeellllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll I'm beaming!! :pac:

Let's go Frank, 1 more title run!

Great quality gif/video of the
    KO
    below, Jaysus!

http://giant.gfycat.com/WindyHauntingAbyssiniancat.mp4

giphy.gif

Jaysus that wild :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

just me or was frank looking a bit more rotund than usual

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭EuskalHerria

just me or was frank looking a bit more rotund than usual

Who this guy? :D

8uRUZZ7.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭moneyman

Little off topic, but don't think this has been posted. Gunnar is already one of the most likeable guys in MMA, but this video is pretty hilarious. Just increases his likeability x10:

Well worth a watch for anyone looking for a laugh!

Semi-serious note, Gunnar is like a monkey. Easy to see where Conor got his approach.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

moneyman wrote: »
    Little off topic, but don't think this has been posted. Gunnar is already one of the most likeable guys in MMA, but this video is pretty hilarious. Just increases his likeability x10:

Semi-serious note, Gunnar is like a monkey. Easy to see where Conor got his approach.

Well that won't give me nightmares at all

Augusto Montano has been suspended from the ufc for 1 year as he was found to have abnormal testosterone levels from 188. 2nd guy now caught after fighting Pendred. What harm Montano wanted no part of that fight. Weird.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,735 ✭✭✭ASOT

Augusto Montano has been suspended from the ufc for 1 year as he was found to have abnormal testosterone levels from 188. 2nd guy now caught after fighting Pendred. What harm Montano wanted no part of that fight. Weird.

When do the new punishments come into play?? Any fights after July 1st is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

I remember when Cathal was 84kg and I was sitting around 80 and I looked like a child compared to him, I can understand why you'd want to be on the juice!!

Aldo had a press conference today where he stated the Reebok gear is crap, he will refuse media obligations if there are too many and he will still use IV's after the ban because he knows ufc won't do anything about it as he's too important....

:pac:

It's like he's trying to get cut to avoid fighting Conor....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,858 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

strange one that alright given he didnt come to fight :confused:

darced wrote: »
    Good on Aldo,he is correct on all points there are too many arse lickers in the UFC.

Yes but then he wonders why he doesn't get paid more...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,805 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

moneyman wrote: »

Well I'd hardly call that hilarious. Gunnar is a little too good at it too

• Registered Users Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

Yes but then he wonders why he doesn't get paid more...

Not everyone can or wants to fly around the world doing media obligations for a company that quite clearly wants him to lose. He isn't like Conor or Chael who weren't family men with kids, who can fly everywhere to do endless media. He isn't a flashy show man out to sell his soul for a few quid. So he wants to be paid more for being one of the best fighters of all time, it is hardly too much to ask. Besides everything he says is spot on when it comes to Reebok/fighter pay and the talk of an association. Keep his mouth shut be a good little company man and maybe he will get some more money. Whatever you say about the guy he has integrity.

The IV ban is a joke as well btw. Once again hes the only champion to call it what it is, the rest too busy brown nosing.

Cathal is taking a 6 months break from UFC to try pro boxing to improve his skills.
    I think I'm going to take a 6 month break from fighting in the UFC to pursue a pro boxing fight and just focus my time on my standup game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭CurryFlavoured

Cathal is taking a 6 months break from UFC to try pro boxing to improve his skills.

That's deadly, fair play Cathal (and John Kavanagh I assume).

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement