Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General UFC Chit Chat/News

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭Easy Rod

sheehy83 wrote: »
    Cathal is taking a 6 months break from UFC to try pro boxing to improve his skills.

Joe.ie running with it as a pisstake...I'm inclined to agree.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

Doubt his contract would allow it , unless it's over or Conor pulled a few strings

• Registered Users Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

I highly doubt the UFC would stand in his way of trying to become a more exciting fighter, id say they would be all for it. The timing doesn't seem right though is he going to purposely sit out of the UFC Dublin card?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

to try pro boxing....ah lads ye can't believe someone with his striking is just going to pop into pro boxing

• Registered Users Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭moneyman

to try pro boxing....ah lads ye can't believe someone with his striking is just going to pop into pro boxing

He could definitely become a pro, but he'd get destroyed by any low level in-shape pro though. I know a guy whose a professional boxer and he's ****ing ****. Decent amateur career meant he could go pro, but he's out of shape and feather fisted. Cathal could go pro but he wouldn't get anywhere. No idea if it would help his stand-up, 6 months isn't really a lot of time and it's not something you can drastically improve upon at this stage of your career.

Cathal's a great guy though so I hope it works out for him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

The point is (if its true)he is going to be training for it, learning technique and improving. Not that he is going to be a world class boxer.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,156 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Davei141 wrote: »
    The point is (if its true)he is going to be training for it, learning technique and improving. Not that he is going to be a world class boxer.

He said it on his Twitter account, also said that he wouldn't be missing The UFC Dublin show so I presume he won't be doing it til after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

People are believing Pendred? Step back and just think for a second, he's clearly taking the piss out of everyone who's saying his stand up isn't up to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭EuskalHerria

Talking about Pendred. This happened on Twitter. Image attached is of Colby's comment.

https://twitter.com/pendred/status/622457016330625024

"@Pendred: .@ColbyCovMMA No Irishman would say this!
    You would NEVER be welcomed in this country after that comment. http://t.co/e4k68GfCX6"

• Registered Users Posts: 7,735 ✭✭✭ASOT

What a dirt bag

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,568 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

That type of crap has got to get him in trouble with the UFC

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭jcd5971

That type of crap has got to get him in trouble with the UFC

if clay guida can get away with calling us a nation of potato pickers id say he will be just fine

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 11,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. Manager

Gustaffson Vs. Cormier confirmed for 192.

Awesome!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,735 ✭✭✭ASOT

DC v Gus official for 192 in Heuston, mad to get a shot coming off a loss but there was nobody else really dc/bader snooze fest was never on the cards.

Hope Gus mauls him, DC comes across as the nut ****.

If he can't I'll just have to wait for Jones to put a beating on him.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,156 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

The potato picker comment seems to have gotten a few biters.

It doesn't really bother me, McGregor gives it in spades so we have to have to take a bit ourselves.
    I struggle a bit with Twitter but who was Covington talking to in his tweet? Pendred?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭jcd5971

CatFromHue wrote: »
    The potato picker comment seems to have gotten a few biters.

It doesn't really bother me, McGregor gives it in spades so we have to have to take a bit ourselves.

mcgregor gets personal but not racist
    I struggle a bit with Twitter but who was Covington talking to in his tweet? Pendred?
    yeah pendred

• Registered Users Posts: 23,858 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

bisbing not holding back in the presser lol
    he can be funny
    would be great if they matched him up with vitor now

As a fighter, everybody wants to face the guys who have victories over them, especially guys that have victories for unfair reasons; they’re all taking testosterone-replacement therapy, they’re using their backside like a dartboard, they’re cheating scumbag motherf-ckers,” Bisping said. “I would love to face them on a fair playing field. Test them before the camp, during the camp, and the night of the fight. Does that answer your question?”

Again, loud and clear.

Bisping also welcomed a bout with Dan Henderson (31-13 MMA, 8-7 UFC), who coached opposite him on “The Ultimate Fighter 9” and famously knocked him out six years ago at UFC 100. Although slightly kinder to the former Strikeforce champ, Bisping ranted some more about the use of TRT.

But it’s Belfort who holds a special place in his heart.

“If you look at Vitor when I fought him, he looked like a cross between a powerlifting champion and the Incredible Hulk,” Bisping said. “When he stepped in against Chris Weidman, he looked like somebody’s out of shape, middle-aged man, like somebody’s dad that went to the gym once a week. So, there’s certainly two different people. I would love to smash his face in and shut him up once and for all and get the revenge.”

http://mmajunkie.com/2015/07/michael-bisping-tears-vitor-belfort-a-new-one-again

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Surly

Davei141 wrote: »

Let's be honest and admit that Cathal is never going to be a UFC-class striker. He clearly doesn't have that in his repertoire.

He'd be much better off concentrating on his grappling and making himself unbeatable in that range, as he does have a strength and endurance advantage over most of the guys in his division.

Thierry Henry said something along the lines of it being better to work on the things that you're great at and thus set yourself apart, rather than work on your weaknesses and be decent at everything. Cathal should definitely take that approach; he doesn't have the dexterity required of a technique-based fighter.

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭Panic E

Surly wrote: »
    Thierry Henry said something along the lines of it being better to work on the things that you're great at and thus set yourself apart, rather than work on your weaknesses and be decent at everything. Cathal should definitely take that approach; he doesn't have the dexterity required of a technique-based fighter.

That sounds to me like a really fair point, I've seen a few of his fights but not the last.

He posted this on Facebook and has been taking quite a hammering in the comment's:
    I think I'm going to take a 6 month break from fighting in the UFC to pursue a pro boxing fight and just focus my time on my standup game.

I want to see that fight now. Again though, your comment has a lot of merit either way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48 Warlock45

Just watched the Glasgow post fight presser! Didn't catch the fights but noticed bispings right eye was dilated in comparison to his left.Looks like he took some heavy brain injury tonight! Makes you shudder when you see the older guys pick up that sort of damage!

I didn't watch the presser so his eye could be messed up from this fight but he detached his retina in that eye a few years back and it's messed up looking already. Could of just been that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭John_D80

Warlock45 wrote: »
    Just watched the Glasgow post fight presser! Didn't catch the fights but noticed bispings right eye was dilated in comparison to his left.Looks like he took some heavy brain injury tonight! Makes you shudder when you see the older guys pick up that sort of damage!

Been like that about two years now. The initial damage was probably done against Vitor Belfort and made a whole lot worse when faced Alan Belcher. He underwent a few surgeries to fix a detached retina as Fromvert mentioned above. It looks a lot worse than it is and his vision is more or less unhindered by it.

He made the conscious decision not to have it corrected further as it would be a purely cosmetic procedure. Although he has said that he may get it fixed when he retires.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,322 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Cathal was absolutely taking the piss with that comment lads. Scroll back to his facebook/Twitter he's always at it.

Off the top of my head;
    "Only Aldo in Vegas"
    "5 fights in 12 months, fought 2 fighters on steroids and beat them both"
    "PED = Pendred Earning Dollars"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭Beersmith

Not many huge fights coming up. I guess the best are dillashaw barao and cormier gus. Im more excited for felder barboza

• Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭weemcd

I had a look and there are virtually no heavyweights with fights booked.

I'd expect matches for Werdum, JDS, Arlovski, Stipe and Cain to be announced shortly.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,932 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Just been watching the new series of Strike Back, S05E01 has a pretty big appearance from Mike Bisping, he's a mercenary and says a few times he's killed people in the Octagon.
    I know it's only a show but thought it was an odd thing to say for a UFC man through and through

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

Will Pendred receive a portion of the other fighters pay?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,831 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Speaking of tv, I started watching Silicon Valley (IT adult version of big bang theory) and one episode had the lads be put in charge of making the tech that streams fight pass with dana right making a speech about it. Was fairly funny.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

Don't be scared homie
    Former UFC welterweight title challenger Nick Diaz will be serving two days of jail time in the near future for multiple DUI arrests.
    "Two days jail for multiple instances is pathetic, that's no deterrent."
    Shue
    Last year in September, Diaz was arrested for DUI in Lodi, CA. He also was arrested for DUI just one year prior to this past September’s arrest.

However, he pled no contest to DUI with .08 or higher to prosecutors, and in exchange three charges were removed. If the charges hadn’t been removed, the Californian’s jail time would’ve been longer.

In addition to the jail time, Diaz will receive three years of informal probation and must complete a DUI educational course.

Diaz will have a hearing later this month and is expected to complete his jail time following that.

source: http://mmajr.co/nick-diaz-to-serve-two-days-jail-time-for-dui-arrest/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement