Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General UFC Chit Chat/News

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,831 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Interview on fox with TJ and he's talking about you know who.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kkDoQdPtYaw

Highlight though
    g0OKqp.gif

Poor ol TAM
    bswpfYe.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭John_D80

Tarec Saffedeine got awarded his black belt recently. Old school style!!

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭Panic E

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    Interview on fox with TJ and he's talking about you know who.

Lord Voldemort?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,402 ✭✭✭Tinie

Stitch cut for speaking out about Reebok

https://twitter.com/StitchDuran/status/623636360746827776

Dont f*ck with reebok

• Registered Users Posts: 29,831 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

F*ck sake man, hope he heads back to boxing to hopefully get a proper paycheck. Same could be happening to unranked fighters soon enough

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

that's pretty bad, he's lost a lot of earnings and gave an honest interview ,didn't even come across as bitter towards the UFC

• Registered Users Posts: 6,364 ✭✭✭xtal191

What an absolute joke, I do hate the UFC at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,322 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

JJayoo wrote: »
    Will Pendred receive a portion of the other fighters pay?

I don't think so. Not pay, only bonuses afaik.
    When he fought Mike King, they got FoTN. When King tested positive, Pendred picked up both $50k cheques.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

They've also taken Brendan Schaub's Reebok gear off the website for talking about how ****ty the deal is and the uniforms.
    Although I don't think he has much interest in fighting again, his attempt to slim down to make 205 was a disaster.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,402 ✭✭✭Tinie

Fromvert wrote: »
    They've also taken Brendan Schaub's Reebok gear off the website for talking about how ****ty the deal is and the uniforms.
    Although I don't think he has much interest in fighting again, his attempt to slim down to make 205 was a disaster.

He was pretty good when he hosted the Joe Rogan podcast and was a guest on it, so that could possibly be where he takes his career next while training fighters.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

Mellor wrote: »
    I don't think so. Not pay, only bonuses afaik.
    When he fought Mike King, they got FoTN. When King tested positive, Pendred picked up both $50k cheques.

he gets 20% of the paycheque and iirc the fighter being punished isn't eligble for any otn rewards

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭EuskalHerria

Stitch Duran and Burt Watson gone within the last few months, over nothing. The show will continue, but that's unnecessarily ruthless.

At the end of the day, strictly financially speaking, the Reebok deal isn't THAT good. Certainly not good enough to be culling people within the organisation when there's no risk of losing the deal.

Worst part is, clothes companies need to change things every couple of months/years. So in the not too distant future, you'll hear Dana and others say the first kits weren't great, but the new ones are "awesome".

• Registered Users Posts: 39,322 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

he gets 20% of the paycheque and iirc the fighter being punished isn't eligble for any otn rewards
    Isn't that when he misses weight? the other fighter takes 20% of the purse.

I know NSAC imposes a 20-30% fine for positive tests too, but I didn't think that went to the other fighter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭MartyMcFly84

Honestly though guys if you publicly spoke out against the policies or direction your company is going you would not last long either. I don't always agree with things my company does but there are methods to professionally air your grievances. But sometimes you just have to grit your teeth an bear it. Its a job at the end of the day.

If Stitch has such a big problem with it he could have resigned or looked for job somewhere else.

He was previously suspended by the UFC for complaining about not being taken to international shows as he was part of the "A team". Then Complaining about not getting extra travel perks, and then complaining about money he was making for himself on the side outside of his official contract. Sounds like his associated fame with the UFC got to him a little bit and his ego was inflated. He has been spoken to previously about publicly airing grievances.

If I carried on in the same way in my job I would not be in the good books either.

Honestly though guys if you publicly spoke out against the policies or direction your company is going you would not last long either. I don't always agree with things my company does but there are methods to professionally air your grievances. But sometimes you just have to grit your teeth an bear it. Its a job at the end of the day.

If Stitch has such a big problem with it he could have resigned or looked for job somewhere else.

He was previously suspended by the UFC for complaining about not being taken to international shows as he was part of the "A team". Then Complaining about not getting extra travel perks, and then complaining about money he was making for himself on the side outside of his official contract. Sounds like his associated fame with the UFC got to him a little bit and his ego was inflated. He has been spoken too previously about publicly airing grievances.

If I carried on in the same way in my job I would not be in the good books either.

If your job cut your wages by a couple of grand once a month and increased their own profits I doubt you'd tow the line

• Registered Users Posts: 19,193 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Tinie wrote: »
    He was pretty good when he hosted the Joe Rogan podcast and was a guest on it, so that could possibly be where he takes his career next while training fighters.

He actually has his own podcast on Fox Sports with Bryan Callen called "The Fighter & The Kid".

he says he makes more money from that now then he ever did fighting.

It happens all the time.

As far as I know. The UFC did not directly change the contracted wages they had with Stitch, rather the Reebok deal hampered his ability to wear his own sponsors on their (UFC) broadcast.

So they did not cut his offical wages. Only changed his ability to make extra money on the side, which he never would of gotten if not for the UFC. You have to weigh up if you want the extra cash or do you want a job with the UFC.

Personally I know what I would pick, . I am sure he is one of the highest paid cut men out there with a queue of people lining up to do his job for a fraction of the cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

It happens all the time.

As far as I know. The UFC did not directly change the contracted wages they had with Stitch, rather the Reebok deal hampered his ability to wear his own sponsors on their (UFC) broadcast.

So they did not cut his offical wages. Only changed his ability to make extra money on the side, which he never would of gotten if not for the UFC. You have to weigh up if you want the extra cash or do you want a job with the UFC.

Personally I know what I would pick,
    . I am sure he is one of the highest paid cut men out there with a queue of people lining up to do his job for a fraction of the cost.

Oh so they only engineered it so his income is slashed completely with no compensation and told him to go whistle, that is OK though because they didn't change his contracted wage with the UFC (which was probably crap, but the sponsors made up for it).

Regarding the bold bit are you actually saying you would take a drastic cut in income just to be a UFC cut man? Is that a wind up?

It happens all the time.

Personally I know what I would pick, . I am sure he is one of the highest paid cut men out there with a queue of people lining up to do his job for a fraction of the cost.

I'm pretty sure he will have job offers coming out the ass this morning. You never answered if your job took away a large portion of your income and gained profit from it would you tow the company line?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,762 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

I actually cant believe they got rid of stitch, the guy was an iconic part of the UFC for me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭weemcd

Burt's gone, Stitch is gone. In a few years Buffer will probably be gone. Rogan has enough money and outside interests to occupy him for the rest of his life, so he won't be commentator forever.

It'll be a sad day when none of them are there. Along with the likes of Hendo, Lawler, Sanchez and the other few old school guys that are left.

The whole thing will be entirely different. :/

weemcd wrote: »
    Burt's gone, Stitch is gone. In a few years Buffer will probably be gone. Rogan has enough money and outside interests to occupy him for the rest of his life, so he won't be commentator forever.

It'll be a sad day when none of them are there. Along with the likes of Hendo, Lawler, Sanchez and the other few old school guys that are left.

Hasn't rogan came out and said he wouldn't mind if he got let go as he is happy doing other things. I do agree when the likes of hendo go it will be sad

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

weemcd wrote: »

Such is the same with any sport but personally I will be glad to see Hendo and Sanchez go, both of them are about one fight away from a serious brain injury and should be retired. Loved watching their fights but theres a time to step away and hang up the gloves and I have no interest in watching Hendo going on one last title run when theres more chance he ends up a vegetable.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,326 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

I always thought that Stitch was like the judges and referees, i.e. he is appointed by the commission not the UFC.

I'm pretty sure he will have job offers coming out the ass this morning. You never answered if your job took away a large portion of your income and gained profit from it would you tow the company line?

He was lucky he made extra money on the side while he could. If the company I worked for said by the way you cannot make additional money for yourself outside of contracted agreement while on our time I would say fair enough. I mean that's pretty standard where ever you work.

If this was to the point where my overall income was severely affected and I was not happy in my current job any-more I would leave, and leave amicably as you never know what's down the line. There is hardly ever good reasons to burn the bridges with your previous employers.

As I said, Stitch has been in trouble previously for complaining publicly rather than to the UFC themselves. If he felt that bad about he could have left. Don't moan about it publicly then act shocked when you are let go.

Its not just the Reebok deal he was on previous warnings and suspensions. Like anyone else three strikes and you're out.

If he was smart about it he could have looked for sponsor ship with the UFC sponsors. Like some fighters are doing he would of had a job for life.

But I am sure he will work for Bellator of whatever for however long they are around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

Stitch Duran and Burt Watson gone within the last few months, over nothing. The show will continue, but that's unnecessarily ruthless.

At the end of the day, strictly financially speaking, the Reebok deal isn't THAT good. Certainly not good enough to be culling people within the organisation when there's no risk of losing the deal.

Worst part is, clothes companies need to change things every couple of months/years. So in the not too distant future, you'll hear Dana and others say the first kits weren't great, but the new ones are "awesome".

I thought Burt retired?

Regarding the bold bit are you actually saying you would take a drastic cut in income just to be a UFC cut man? Is that a wind up?

I am confident they are still paying cut men more that the other MMA organisations out there, and I am sure Stitch would of been one of the highest paid cut men on the books.

You think he would make lots of sponsorship money if we was working for Bellator, One FC, WSF?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

I am confident they are still paying cut men more that the other MMA organisations out there, and I am sure Stitch would of been one of the highest paid cut men on the books.

You think he would make lots of sponsorship money if we was working for Bellator, One FC, WSF?

You think UFC base salary would beat sponsorship + salary in other orgs?

He already said the base salary was rubbish so needed his sponsorship's to make it worth his while. He is the highest paid cutman on the books because he is the best cutman on the books, he earned it. Yeah they probably pay a bigger salary than bellator/WSOF etc, they also make a ton more money and keep a bigger percentage to themselves.

I get the feeling no matter what the UFC does you will defend them, i don't get it at all. According to you he should have just took a substantial hit on his income and left quietly, what kind of stance is that? He said he already went to the UFC about this and they flat out said sorry mate you ain't getting a penney. If this happened to you you would be singing a different tune despite your whole "I'd just leave quietly and not burn any bridges".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭EuskalHerria

Hazys wrote: »
    I thought Burt retired?

Working with Cage Fury now.

• Advertisement

You think UFC base salary would beat sponsorship + salary in other orgs?

He already said the base salary was rubbish so needed his sponsorship's to make it worth his while. He is the highest paid cutman on the books because he is the best cutman on the books, he earned it. Yeah they probably pay a bigger salary than bellator/WSOF etc, they also make a ton more money and keep a bigger percentage to themselves.

I get the feeling no matter what the UFC does you will defend them, i don't get it at all. According to you he should have just took a substantial hit on his income and left quietly, what kind of stance is that? He said he already went to the UFC about this and they flat out said sorry mate you ain't getting a penney. If this happened to you you would be singing a different tune despite your whole "I'd just leave quietly and not burn any bridges".

The UFC is a private company. No one employee is bigger than the company. If you have an employee who you have warned and suspended previously still making waves well then most people would let that person go. I think many fans fail to see that its a company at the end of the day. Burt and Stitch both only really became well known because of the UFC. I have a feeling thought they were more important to the UFC than they actually were.

No one is stopping Stitch having sponsors. He just cannot wear them on UFC broadcasts.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement