Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General UFC Chit Chat/News

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,326 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Did Burt ever give a reason for his departure?

I know he left rather than being let go, but he didn't ever comment on his departure as far as I'm aware.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

The UFC is a private company. No one employee is bigger than the company. If you have an employee who you have warned and suspended previously still making waves well then most people would let that person go. I think many fans fail to see that its a company at the end of the day. Burt and Stitch both only really became well known because of the UFC. I have a feeling thought they were more important to the UFC than they actually were.

No one is stopping Stitch having sponsors. He just cannot wear them on UFC broadcasts.

It's like dealing with someone who got the UFC PR memo and is reciting it word for word. Private company so they can do whatever they like, dump on whoever they like. If they don't like it then leave. That's a great attitude.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭EuskalHerria

DrPhilG wrote: »
    Did Burt ever give a reason for his departure?

I know he left rather than being let go, but he didn't ever comment on his departure as far as I'm aware.

There were numerous stories going around. Fallout with a member of Ronda's team and Dana rang him taking Ronda's side.
    Incident with Mark Munoz was another. When he didn't get back to the hotel after he missed wight, rumour had it he got a harsh phone call from a UFC higher up. What was implied was it was incredibly over the top and disrespectful so Burt just left.

Burt left in a dignified manner and chose not speak about it, so we may never truly know.

Reebok take down all Brendan Schaub apparel after he urges fans to buy his own shirts instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

If the UFC are hell bent on being viewed as a professional sports league with the Reebok deal, then maybe they should f*cking act like one.

Disgraceful that they've sacked the most senior cut man. A cut man is a real, important job ffs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭MartyMcFly84

It's like dealing with someone who got the UFC PR memo and is reciting it word for word. Private company so they can do whatever they like, dump on whoever they like. If they don't like it then leave. That's a great attitude.

Basically yeah this is the reality of the working world . Particular in the USA where there are few labour law with regards to contract termination.

They gave him multiple warnings which he ignored. Would you let someone who worked for you publicly criticise your company even after you had spoken to them about it multiple times? Can you imagine if all your employees started publicly disagreeing with every decision they did not like?

There are hundreds if not thousands of cut people out there who would give an arm and a leg to work for the UFC.

I don't hear any of the other UFC cut people complaining like he did.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭Ken Shamrock

Basically yeah this is the reality of the working world . Particular in the USA where there are few labour law with regards to contract termination.

They gave him multiple warnings which he ignored. Would you let someone who worked for you publicly criticise your company even after you had spoken to them about it multiple times? Can you imagine if all your employees started publicly disagreeing with every decision they did not like?

If all my employees started doing this I would probably sit back and say jesus, maybe what we're doing here Is wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭MartyMcFly84

If all my employees started doing this I would probably sit back and say jesus, maybe what we're doing here Is wrong.

Really? If every time someone who worked for your didn't like your companies decisions they publicly complained in the media? Try doing that in Subway or Burger King and see how long you last.

Can you imagine what that would be like with hundreds of people on your books all getting upset about different things.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

Really? If every time someone who worked for your didn't like your companies decisions they publicly complained in the media? Try doing that in Subway or Burger King and see how long you last.

Can you imagine what that would be like with hundreds of people on your books all getting upset about different things.

If someone complained that they lost money and you sacked them you would be sued sideways for wrongful termination, but can't do that to ufc...why independent contractors, oh look another plus of the ufc not allowing unions

There are hundreds if not thousands of cut people out there who would give an arm and a leg to work for the UFC.

I don't hear any of the other UFC cut people complaining like he did.

They left him no choice but to go public. He was also asked about it and answered honestly. If a company is going to dump on their employees why wouldn't they expect a public backlash?

So if other cutmen complain then it makes his complaints legitimate? What does that even mean? You think they are happy about it?

You make it sound like he is upset about being told he has to be in a half an hour earlier for work and not that he has took a drastic cut in income. Not one person on this earth would settle for that for the awful reasons UFC has given.

Do keep mentioning how hes just some rogue employee though and not somebody with a very legitimate complaint. UFC PR is strong. Private company they can do what they like etc etc

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

Ufc has monopoly on mma, until there's another promotion as big ufc will keep getting away with this stuff.

Union might be answer but union needs big name and big draws. Fighters should get together and refuse to walk out to octagon until ufc listen to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,137 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Point to me to a company where employees have universally rejoiced over a cut to their income?

I don’t think any of the leadership of those companies has thought ‘oh crap, I thought they were going to all be thanking us – we must be doing something wrong’.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭Ken Shamrock

Foxtrol wrote: »
    Point to me to a company where employees have universally rejoiced over a cut to their income?

I don’t think any of the leadership of those companies has thought ‘oh crap, I thought they were going to all be thanking us – we must be doing something wrong’.

I can't I don't keep tabs on companies who cut their employees income?

Usually when a company does that, they do It because they have to, not because they want to. It Is pure greed from the UFC and shows a complete lack of respect/empathy for their workers.

How you can sit here and try to defend them Is beyond me.

If someone complained that they lost money and you sacked them you would be sued sideways for wrongful termination, but can't do that to ufc...why independent contractors, oh look another plus of the ufc not allowing unions

And if you’d previous warnings about talking negatively to the media about the company and were fired for doing it again you’d get nothing!

Great bringing up the contractor point in a different thread as you showed in the Aldo thread that you have zero understanding of how contracting works.

I can't I don't keep tabs on companies who cut their employees income?

Usually when a company does that, they do It because they have to, not because they want to. It Is pure greed from the UFC and shows a complete lack of respect/empathy for their workers.

How you can sit here and try to defend them Is beyond me.

Wow, you know no one who’s income was cut during the recession. It happened to pretty much everyone I know and can’t remember one being happy about it.

I’m not defending all aspects of the deal with the fighters but the fighter kits did need to happen.

My issue is how fighters/cut-men are reacting in public and how they think they can do it with impunity.

No surprise the same guy laying into Aldo for not towing the company line supports this awful Reebok deal for everyone except the UFC and this PR own goal of firing. Screw everybody once the UFC are doing OK.

"My issue is how they are reacting in public." Speak out and get fired. Doesn't matter what the issue is you guys support that? Do you have no shame at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭Easy Rod

There are arguments to both sides really, neither side taking the smartest route to resolve.

I feel really bad for the guy, great man by all accounts. UFC probably did something morally wrong but it's their prerogative.

But the UFC is providing these guys with such a massive opportunity, their success impinges massively on your success, Ufc will do what they think is right for their business long term, go with it and you will potentially reap the benefits. But if you go biting the hand that feeds, you can expect trouble...

Also, if some guy in their marketing department starts tweeting that they no longer get free coffee on a Wednesday and gets warned and then starts tweeting that he no longer gets free access to live shows or something...he's probably going to get fired too. Stitch happens to be in the public eye so it's now turned into a bigger deal.

Eh, what do I know.

Davei141 wrote: »
    No surprise the same guy laying into Aldo for not towing the company line supports this awful Reebok deal for everyone except the UFC and this PR own goal of firing. Screw everybody once the UFC are doing OK.

"My issue is how they are reacting in public." Speak out and get fired. Doesn't matter what the issue is you guys support that? Do you have no shame at all?

Yeah, no surprise that I’m consistent with two guys coming out and making comments that are absolutely in no way constructive against their employer to the media, Aldo being actually worse seeing as he has stated his plans to cheat (but that’s for another thread).

We’re not talking about hypotheticals here about keeping their mouth shut on any issue; we’re talking about a guy complaining about his supplementary income being cut. This poor soul previously came out in the media and implied that his colleagues couldn’t do their job to a high enough level (weren’t the’ A-team’). I have no shame in this guy being sanctioned for running his mouth again in the media. To me he had too high of an opinion of himself and the UFC didn’t want to deal with it anymore.

• Advertisement

Yeah, no surprise that I’m consistent with two guys coming out and making comments that are absolutely in no way constructive against their employer to the media, Aldo being actually worse seeing as he has stated his plans to cheat (but that’s for another thread).

We’re not talking about hypotheticals here about keeping their mouth shut on any issue; we’re talking about a guy complaining about his supplementary income being cut. This poor soul previously came out in the media and implied that his colleagues couldn’t do their job to a high enough level (weren’t the’ A-team’). I have no shame in this guy being sanctioned for running his mouth again in the media. To me he had too high of an opinion of himself and the UFC didn’t want to deal with it anymore.

He speaks out against the UFC for something most sane people would have a problem with and you go on to have a go at the guy personally bringing up his A team comments and trying to make out he is some problem employee. Dana White would be proud of this defence.

Keep your mouth shout no matter how much the UFC are screwing you over, sure its only supplementary income, never mind the fact that supplementary income is what made your job actually worthwhile. He probably knew getting fired was a possibility, that is what it takes to actually stand up to the UFC. People falling on their sword is what usually happens to make a change for the greater good but no matter what there will be the UFC fanboys ready to defend the indefensible.

After Kurt Watson left, there wasn't much fuss. Dana is getting hounded on social media about Stitch. He put up stuff about embedded and a lot of the responses were from fans asking about Stitch.

Reebok must be getting a lot of tweets to warrant even replying.

https://twitter.com/reebok/status/623931268837847040

UFC screwed Reebok with their rubbish PR move.

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭Panic E

I know it's been said a number of times already, but the Reebok gear is seriously tacky and cheap looking. The materials, and the designs.

I know they were never a huge player in the sportswear market but they were big in the footwear. They have made some quality footwear.

They were probably Nikes biggest rival once with the classics and pumps etc. Innovative and classy designs, quality materials and finishes.

What happened to that company? I find it strange. I see they have a new logo also since their glory days. Was it taken over or something?

He speaks out against the UFC for something most sane people would have a problem with and you go on to have a go at the guy personally bringing up his A team comments and trying to make out he is some problem employee. Dana White would be proud of this defence.

Keep your mouth shout no matter how much the UFC are screwing you over, sure its only supplementary income, never mind the fact that supplementary income is what made your job actually worthwhile. He probably knew getting fired was a possibility, that is what it takes to actually stand up to the UFC. People falling on their sword is what usually happens to make a change for the greater good but no matter what there will be the UFC fanboys ready to defend the indefensible.

So bringing up his previous comments to the media is now attacking him personally. :confused:

Are we only supposed to mention his comments that fit into your narrative that he’s some sort of martyr who is ‘falling on his sword’ for the greater good. Your comments very much come across as someone who has a chip on their shoulder against ‘the man’.

Can you give us breakdown of Stitch’s salary so we can see what makes it ‘worthwhile’?

Correct me if I’m wrong but I don’t remember him covering himself in his own advertisements when cornering for Klitschko. Do you have a breakdown of how doing this job without outside sponsors was ‘worthwhile’ for him?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,735 ✭✭✭ASOT

Panic E wrote: »
    I know it's been said a number of times already, but the Reebok gear is seriously tacky and cheap looking. The materials, and the designs.

I know they were never a huge player in the sportswear market but they were big in the footwear. They have made some quality footwear.

They were probably Nikes biggest rival once with the classics and pumps etc. Innovative and classy designs, quality materials and finishes.

What happened to that company? I find it strange. I see they have a new logo also since their glory days. Was it taken over or something?

They were taken over by Adidas in 2005, they had to write off massive debts over the last few years because Reebok was struggling. Have to agree though the gear is terrible.

So bringing up his previous comments to the media is now attacking him personally.

Are we only supposed to mention his comments that fit into your narrative that he’s some sort of martyr who is ‘falling on his sword’ for the greater good. Your comments very much come across as someone who has a chip on their shoulder against ‘the man’.

Can you give us breakdown of Stitch’s salary so we can see what makes it ‘worthwhile’?

Correct me if I’m wrong but I don’t remember him covering himself in his own advertisements when cornering for Klitschko. Do you have a breakdown of how doing this job without outside sponsors was ‘worthwhile’ for him?

You know full well what game you trying to play painting him as some kind of employee who is far too much trouble than he is worth. He made a comment ages ago the out of control monster. He already said himself the UFC salary minus the sponsors was rubbish, so pretty much sounds "not worthwhile" to me. He was well prepared to get sacked over this (we all know how the UFC operate) issue so thats pretty much confirms it wasn't "worthwhile" to him.

Maybe the Klitschos paid him a proper wage with no sponsors. Do you think he fell on his sword for the craic? He was actually getting loads of money from the UFC and it turns out he is just greedy.

You and Marty are probably the only 2 people i know who are defending the indefensible. UFC can do no wrong.

Panic E wrote: »

It was bought by adidas about 10 years ago and I think they’ve sent it down a road that isn’t in direct competition with the parent.

I was surprised that the walk out gear actually looks a lot better in person than it does on TV. My big issue is that if you’re going down the country route you need to differentiate the style colour/style more, it’s nearly impossible to tell the difference between most of kits (especially with the amount of black on all of them).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭Easy Rod

You know full well what game you trying to play painting him as some kind of employee who is far too much trouble than he is worth. He made a comment ages ago the out of control monster. He already said himself the UFC salary minus the sponsors was rubbish, so pretty much sounds "not worthwhile" to me. He was well prepared to get sacked over this (we all know how the UFC operate) issue so thats pretty much confirms it wasn't "worthwhile" to him.

Maybe the Klitschos paid him a proper wage with no sponsors. Do you think he fell on his sword for the craic? He was actually getting loads of money from the UFC and it turns out he is just greedy.

You and Marty are probably the only 2 people i know who are defending the indefensible. UFC can do no wrong.

Honestly, it's not hard to see the other argument here. Stitch was slagging off his employer in the media, if that doesn't qualify as a a sackable offence/breach of contract/gross misconduct then what does?

The woe is me, taking one for the team stick doesn't cut it, he was looking out for número uno and wanted more money (Just like the ufc do coincidentally) and has paid for it.

This is the world we live in (unfortunately). I don't agree with every decision a big corporation makes but I'm not going to call for a revolution when a guy gets sacked for bad mouthing his employer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,932 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Easy Rod wrote: »
    Honestly, it's not hard to see the other argument here. Stitch was slagging off his employer in the media, if that doesn't qualify as a a sackable offence/breach of contract/gross misconduct then what does?

The woe is me, taking one for the team stick doesn't cut it, he was looking out for número uno and wanted more money (Just like the ufc do coincidentally) and has paid for it.

This is the world we live in (unfortunately). I don't agree with every decision a big corporation makes but I'm not going to call for a revolution when a guy gets sacked for bad mouthing his employer.

No he wasn't, he probably wanted to be on the same as he's been on, his income has been slashed due to the sponsor fiasco. Tell me who else would be happy in that situation

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement